Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Separate threads for film & TV
    Yea that's all I am seeing but it just seems to be the American version available now

Its on one of them. Will check when I get home.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

According to Moreflix the Danish version is on Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Colombia, France, Mexico and Netherlands.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

According to Moreflix the Danish version is on Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Colombia, France, Mexico and Netherlands.

Dont think any of those will have English subtitles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Watched a great film during the week on Irish netflix called "The Reluctant Fundamentalist". Details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Got in on the Mexico one, cheers lads

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Dont think any of those will have English subtitles though.

Nana there's an option for English subs :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nana there's an option for English subs :)

Nice one, remember trying to watch subbed movies before on foreign regions but the only ever had the native subs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Nice one, remember trying to watch subbed movies before on foreign regions but the only ever had the native subs.

Had the same issue with a couple of Swedish films I had been wanting to watch for ages. Finally found them on the Scandi regions but couldn't get English subtitles :( Tried watching one with Suomi subtitles for the craic but it didn't help.

Oh my mistake. There's no option on this one for English subs, my search continues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I'l buy anybody who can direct me to season 3 of the killing on a netflix region a blue yorkie, looking for that one for ages.:D:D:D

Iris and Bull Durham added to Irish netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I'l buy anybody who can direct me to season 3 of the killing on a netflix region a blue yorkie, looking for that one for ages.:D:D:D

Iris and Bull Durham added to Irish netflix.

Third Series of Forbrydelsen/The Killing has never been on Netflix afaik. I either acquired it through unofficial channels or borrowed the box set from a library.

Third one ain't great, it's better than the second but the first is still best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Will It Follows or Ex-Manchina ever be added to Netflix or do Hulu or any other steaming services have exclusive rights.

Will It Follows or Ex-Manchina ever be added to Netflix or do Hulu or any other steaming services have exclusive rights.

I could nearly swear I saw them in one of the regions within the past month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I was fully sure they had Toy Story 3 on the Irish Netflix as well which would've made the trilogy available, but it's not. Maybe they'll add it down the line.

toy story 3 being added today i think

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Daughter of Dawn (1920) was added to Netflix Ireland and other regions.
    Daughter of Dawn is an 83-minute long American silent film released in 1920. Between its production and restoration in 2012, it was shown only a few times — once in Los Angeles in 1920, and in Kansas City, Tulsa and a handful of other cities.

On December 18, 2013, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daughter_of_Dawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Watched Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley’s Island of Dr. Moreau. Really entertaining stuff in a car crash way. The film is funny as hell as you're hearing the cast and crew recount what a shambles the set was but it's also almost a cautionary tale to anyone wanting success and artistic freedom in the Hollywood system.

Also recommended, Best Worst Movie:

tumblr_n5kowdS7bj1tbwj7go1_r1_540.jpg
    tumblr_n5kowdS7bj1tbwj7go2_r1_540.jpg

I always knew that Island of Dr. Moreau had a troubled production but didn't realise to the extent that it was so out of control. Fair play to the original director for taking part in the doc as often such people don't like to revisit failed productions. (though I guess you could say he was a unique fella).

The Alien 3 blu-ray documentary is good too but not as entertaining per se.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Doodah7

There's a great line from John Frankenheimer, who took over directing duties, about Val Kilmer, who was a complete and utter diva during the making of the movie: "If I was making a movie of the Life and Times of Val Kilmer, I wouldn't have that pr*ck in it"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I remembered the Father Ted quote about Val Kilmer being a bastard but didn't realize the extent of it. Even Brando who was basically trolling everyone comes across like an angel in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Ageyev wrote: »
    I always knew that Island of Dr. Moreau had a troubled production but didn't realise to the extent that it was so out of control. Fair play to the original director for taking part in the doc as often such people don't like to revisit failed productions. (though I guess you could say he was a unique fella).

The Alien 3 blu-ray documentary is good too but not as entertaining per se.

Like anyone else, I've watched a lot of bollocks in my time, but The Island Of Dr Moreau remains the only movie I have ever walked out of the cinema from after 30 minutes. So maybe will have to take a look at this!

• Advertisement

Watched a very good documentary there called Cowspiracy - the sustainability secret, produced by Leonardo Dicaprio. Its about the effect of climate change and the impact livestock is having on our environment. It's quite disturbing with some shocking facts and figures. But it's a brilliant watch and can't fail to make all us meat eaters really consider what we are doing

The Flash season 1 (October 6th) and Arrow season 3 (October 7th) coming to US netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Ageyev wrote: »

Brilliant documentary, thanks to whoever recommended it.

I think poor Richard Stanley just wasn't made to be a big time commercial film director, he's a guy made for small time no budget horror films . He clearly wasn't up for the job from the get go , although to be fair his sketches and brilliant art work shows a guy who has strange and wonderful mind. But he was screwed from the get go as the producers clearly didn't want him anywhere there.

Val Kilmer clearly doesn't come out of this looking good, he's a big headed bully who's downfall thanks to this film is a piece of karma (although he was excellent in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang). Marlon Brando, who was a pain in the ass (Yes he was once the greatest actor living but even years before DR Moreau his behaviour was always sketchy and I still don't understand why take a risk on him) at least showed respect to his fellow actors but he was just as big a pain in the ass. Even John Frankenheimer comes out of it not looking too good, but it's fair to say his line about Val Kilmer was a thing of beauty.

Loved Marco Hofschneider (the young German lad from the excellent Europa Europa) who probably has the best stories to tell especially watching his once big part been cut cause Marlon Brando took a shine to the dwarf Nelson de le Rosa, who then gets the biggest ego on the picture and punches Hofschneider in the family jewels.

Would have been nice to hear from Ron Pearlman or David Thewlis who you can see in the on set footage. But aside from that a great documentary plus it must have been fun been behind the scenes with the supporting actors just partying and smoking pot all day and getting paid for it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Vanishing of the bees. Really good documentary about how the honey bees all over the world are dying and how important honey bees are. Typical humans just destroy everything that's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

fin12 wrote: »
    Vanishing of the bees. Really good documentary about how the honey bees all over the world are dying and how important honey bees are. Typical humans just destroy everything that's good.

120783_tv-arrested-development-magic-et-michael.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Duke Of Burgundy is on Netflix Costa Rica, Mexico, Argentina and Panama, the anti 50 Shades Of Grey. :)

e_e wrote: »
    Also recommended, Best Worst Movie:

tumblr_n5kowdS7bj1tbwj7go1_r1_540.jpg
    tumblr_n5kowdS7bj1tbwj7go2_r1_540.jpg

This movie was recommended to me every 5 minutes on Netflix and I always ignored it. But your recommendation made me go watch..... And it's not there.

What region is this on?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This movie was recommended to me every 5 minutes on Netflix and I always ignored it. But your recommendation made me go watch..... And it's not there.

What region is this on?

It's on the Irish one.

It's on the Irish one.

You sure? I've been searching but don't see it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

It's on the Irish one.

Can't see it on the Irish one. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement