Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

The Hunger Games on Netflix Mexico (only downside is the forced Subtitles en Espanol)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

Season 4 of Breaking Bad will be up on Sept. 1st on Irish Netflix, an entire month before it launches on DVD:

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2012/08/netflix-uk-ireland-sets-premiere-date-for-breaking-bad-season-4/

Before I knew this, I booted up Netflix earlier and saw trailer for Season 4 in the queue, which was wierd because I'd never seen that before on Netflix. Did a search for it and noticed the box art had changed to that of the fourth season.

I got really excited when I noticed it said the series contained 46 episodes rather than the 34 that seasons 1-3 were comprised of.

But alas, when I tried to play the new episodes, only Seasons 1-3 showed up, all of which I've seen twice(!) at this stage.

Looking forward to next week, and getting anxious to see what happens, a lot of my mates are already discussing the details of Season 5 while I put my fingers in my ears and say "lalalalala"!

Also, while I'm here I might as well make a recommendation:
    For those of you that haven't experienced the It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia yet, I suggest you amend that immediately.

It's literally the best sitcom ever created, and that I say that without hyperbole or exaggeration. It's amazing.

gIXS3.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Separate threads for film & TV
    Just finished watching Mean Creek and enjoyed it a lot. The description made it seem like it could be a fairly generic thriller, but the direction was excellent and the protagonists are very nicely fleshed out. It's understated but not simplistic in either its execution or its handling of the subject matter ("how to respond to a bully?").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Just a question for those who are viewing the US version through whatever means... Is there a lag on streaming or is always fully ahead of your viewing if say you were on a fast net package from here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Just a question for those who are viewing the US version through whatever means... Is there a lag on streaming or is always fully ahead of your viewing if say you were on a fast net package from here?

I watch through UPC broadband and there is no lag....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

I watch through UPC broadband and there is no lag....

Cheers, I can't fool about with my I.P settings because of the satellite system I use on my home network - I have looked at the US version when I was over there on my account, an amazing amount of quality content is on there.

It will get stronger here I'm sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

Cheers, I can't fool about with my I.P settings because of the satellite system I use on my home network - I have looked at the US version when I was over there on my account, an amazing amount of quality content is on there.

It will get stronger here I'm sure

I watch the US version on my Wii and the Irish on the PS3, the US has way better choice of TV shows but i think the Irish version has better films especially classics.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I also watched The Exam yesterday, and really enjoyed it. It's a well-made chamber-piece thriller; what you might get if you were making The Cube but decided you wanted more of a battle of wits and fewer people being dismembered in nasty ways. The setup is: 8 candidates for a highly desirable job are shown to the exam hall, have the rules explained to them, and start the exam - to find that the question sheet is blank. They have 80 minutes to figure out what the question is and how to answer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Fysh wrote: »
    I also watched The Exam yesterday, and really enjoyed it. It's a well-made chamber-piece thriller; what you might get if you were making The Cube but decided you wanted more of a battle of wits and fewer people being dismembered in nasty ways. The setup is: 8 candidates for a highly desirable job are shown to the exam hall, have the rules explained to them, and start the exam - to find that the question sheet is blank. They have 80 minutes to figure out what the question is and how to answer it.

I like that movie also, something different.
    Watched The Snapper on the US netflix the other night, forgot how good it is. Picture was a bit grainy but a great laugh nontheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Fysh wrote: »
    Just finished watching Mean Creek and enjoyed it a lot. The description made it seem like it could be a fairly generic thriller, but the direction was excellent and the protagonists are very nicely fleshed out. It's understated but not simplistic in either its execution or its handling of the subject matter ("how to respond to a bully?").

great little movie, well worth a watch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

I have the worse broadband in Ireland and Netflix dosen't lag. The picture adjusts to the quality of your broadband as far as I know. The sons mate has a decent service and it more like HD in his house. Thats US, Canada, Ireland and sometimes Latin America netflix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

I don't care if it's any good; all I know is we have to be seen to be taking a stand against it. I have been brought back from my holiday in California to sort it out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The OP is really very, very clear. Do NOT discuss regional bypasses on pain of having your post changed to quotes from the best Irish comedy show.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,153 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I have the worse broadband in Ireland and Netflix dosen't lag. The picture adjusts to the quality of your broadband as far as I know. The sons mate has a decent service and it more like HD in his house. Thats US, Canada, Ireland and sometimes Latin America netflix.

Yea, I've only 1 mb broadband at the moment (:mad:) but I must say its never lagged on me once. Picture looks even better if you watch it on an a cathode ray tube telly rather than a digital one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The OP is really very, very clear. Do NOT discuss regional bypasses on pain of having your post changed to quotes from the best Irish comedy show.

Isn't Father Ted a British comedy show made by Channel 4:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tipsy McSwagger permabanned for discussing regional bypassing :P

That would be an ecumenical matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

balfe1990 wrote: »
    Also, while I'm here I might as well make a recommendation:
    For those of you that haven't experienced the It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia yet, I suggest you amend that immediately.

It's literally the best sitcom ever created, and that I say that without hyperbole or exaggeration. It's amazing.
    Does it improve after season 1? I watched it and wasn't immediately blown away...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,153 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ape X wrote: »
    Does it improve after season 1? I watched it and wasn't immediately blown away...

It does but by the 5th or 6th season it had lost its appeal imo. Season 2 is a big improvement on the first when Danny Devito comes into it. Worth sticking with it after season 1 for a while anyway.

Have you watched the US Office? its consistently brilliant for all 7 seasons I've watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It does but by the 5th or 6th season it had lost its appeal imo. Season 2 is a big improvement on the first when Danny Devito comes into it. Worth sticking with it after season 1 for a while anyway.

Have you watched the US Office? its consistently brilliant for all 7 seasons I've watched.
    Yeah, love the Office, and enjoyed about 75% of Parks and Rec. Looking for something new, so I'll give Sunny another shot. Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

is elephant white any good - just came to the irish netflix?

donfers wrote: »
    is elephant white any good - just came to the irish netflix?

It's good in a what the hell am I watching way. Bacon is obviously having a blast and the action is well handled but the subject matter just doesn't lend its self to a low budget action film. Something about watching an action film which deals with child prostitution that just feels wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

Ape X wrote: »
    Yes, definitely, I should have mentioned that.

The first season was made on a shoestring budget and all the characters could be described as pretty unexceptional.

It's only when you get to Season 2 that they start to come out of their shells and develop distinctive personalities. Each person has quite a contrastive persona when you compare them to the next and they all have roles to play, which is what I love.

Stick with it if you can , because it does nothing but improve. I thought Season 1 was good when I first saw it, but nothing remarkable. I'm glad I continued past it.

Season 8 is due out next month and I can hardly wait. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

anyone notice that some movies have their alternative titles in the movies? Midnight Sting is called Diggstown, and Inside I'm Dancing is called Rory O'Shea Was Here in the opening credits, must be international sourced versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

krudler wrote: »
    anyone notice that some movies have their alternative titles in the movies? Midnight Sting is called Diggstown, and Inside I'm Dancing is called Rory O'Shea Was Here in the opening credits, must be international sourced versions.

There's an old Film Noir movie thats there twice with two different names on the interface and on the movie itself!

Watched Heathers last night, 1988 high school movie with Iwana Ryder and Christian Slater. From the picture it looked like a teen romance, perfect for me and the OH to enjoy that was until people were getting killed left right and centre.

Nonetheless it was a really enjoyable and original 80's movie and it really dawned on me on how capable Slater would have been at playing Joker in a Batman movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Little off topic but I am asking for a recommendation . .

Is the US version of netflix better then the UK one ? Also, does the US version have everything the UK has ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I watched the Beautician and the Beast last night,it isn't bad.
    I watched Soapdish the night before,it is not so good.

I never watched chick flicks until now but there is nothing good on tv and I wish Netflix had more good stuff:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Drumpot wrote: »
    Little off topic but I am asking for a recommendation . .

Is the US version of netflix better then the UK one ? Also, does the US version have everything the UK has ?

US netflix has a bigger range of movies and US TV shows over the UK & Ireland version whereas Netflix UK/Ireland has more local TV content from Channel 4 ITV etc. Although it's getting better it's still a good bit off the US version imho. So too your second question it US would have some of the same content but not so much of the TV series content etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

US netflix has a bigger range of movies and US TV shows over the UK & Ireland version whereas Netflix UK/Ireland has more local TV content from Channel 4 ITV etc. Although it's getting better still a good bit off the US version imho. So to your second question it US would have some of the same content but not so much of the TV series content etc.

Thanks for that . .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement