Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Some amount of movies added in the latest update.

Team America: World Police 2004 ▲3
    Abduction 2011 ▼1
    Mission: Impossible III 2006 ▼1
    Shooter 2007 ▲1
    Mission: Impossible 1996 ▼2
    Braveheart 1995 ▲1
    Clue 1985 ▼1
    Beverly Hills Cop 1984 ▲2
    Deep Impact 1998
    Face/Off 1997 ▲1
    Hot Rod 2007 ▼3
    Vanilla Sky 2001 ▲1
    Tommy Boy 1995 ▲1
    Mean Girls 2004 ▼2
    Bellflower 2011 ▲1
    Coming to America 1988 ▼1
    A Night at the Roxbury 1998 ▲5
    Payback 1999
    Star Trek: Insurrection 1998 ▲1
    Barbarella 1968 ▲1
    Chaplin: The Movie 1992 ▼4
    South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut 1999 ▲15
    Rat Race 2001 ▲7
    Pootie Tang 2001
    Private Parts 1997 ▲2
    Basic Instinct 1992 ▲5
    The Thing 1982 ▲1
    Haywire 2011 ▼9
    Footloose 1984 ▲6
    Beverly Hills Cop II 1987 ▼5
    Explorers 1985 ▼5
    Beavis and Butt-head Do America 1996 ▼3
    Jiro Dreams of Sushi 2011 ▼1
    Double Jeopardy 1999 ▲2
    Varsity Blues 1999 ▲4
    The Doors 1991 ▲6
    Clueless 1995 ▼14
    Without a Paddle 2004 ▼5
    We Were Soldiers 2002 ▼5
    The Conversation 1974
    The African Queen 1951
    The Longest Yard 2005 ▼4
    The Final 2010
    Ghost 1990 ▲3
    Super 8 2011 ▲4
    Traffic 2000 ▲5
    The Night of the Hunter 1955 ▼1
    The Omen 1976 ▼4
    Raw 1987 ▼4
    Battle Royale 2000 ▲1

Wow! WE can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I watched a brilliant documentary on netflx uk called 'I Have Never Forgotten You'. It's about Simon Wiesenthal, a Jew who survived the holocaust and went on to open a centre to catch nazi war criminals, 5/5.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Separate threads for film & TV
    on the us netflix i watched season 1 of a documentary called everest beyond the limit last night, i watched the first show in the season, then the second and third and on to the sixth and last, up until almost 6am watching it, it was that good, you couldn't tear me away from it - brilliant harrowing mindblowing stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Caved & watched The Bridge :(

Glad I did, it's touchingly surreal to see, hear & look at the people affected & tormented by suicide. But, for the families & friends involved in the docu, I'm not sure how they view the film. Maybe it crosses a line, maybe its a line we shouldn't be afraid to cross...I don't know. It's powerful stuff though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Watched the Highlander on us one last night it really aged well used to love it years ago ! THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Watched Network last night, right up there with the greatest films of all time. Well worth a look imo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_(film)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Found the 90s show "The Dinosaurs". Used to love the show but never realised how deep it was. The first episode dealt with the pressure of being a father and the second the mother was clearly suffering from postnatal depression.

I used to think it was a fun show about dinosaurs

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Found the 90s show "The Dinosaurs". Used to love the show but never realised how deep it was. The first episode dealt with the pressure of being a father and the second the mother was clearly suffering from postnatal depression.

I used to think it was a fun show about dinosaurs

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Watched Network last night, right up there with the greatest films of all time. Well worth a look imo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_(film)

Definitely in the top ten best American films ever, so prophetic .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

EnterNow wrote: »
    Caved & watched The Bridge :(

Glad I did, it's touchingly surreal to see, hear & look at the people affected & tormented by suicide. But, for the families & friends involved in the docu, I'm not sure how they view the film. Maybe it crosses a line, maybe its a line we shouldn't be afraid to cross...I don't know. It's powerful stuff though

I found it incredibly exploitative. Very little insight or hope revealed it to be little more than morbid voyeurism.

I mean setting up a camera to film people committing suicides in order to track down loved ones to then fill in the backstory...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I found it incredibly exploitative. Very little insight or hope revealed it to be little more than morbid voyeurism.

I mean setting up a camera to film people committing suicides in order to track down loved ones to then fill in the backstory...

Yeah I know, it's certainly not exactly blue sky stuff. Its still weighing on my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

How's the visuals on this cheapskate rubbish? Not that I'm going to pump it up with
    HDMI onto a 42" HD.

THEY seem to have got some vaguely interesting STUFF up there
    recently. Enticing? Maybe.

Still, at 7 euroes a month; as somebody else said;
    "whad u expect?!?!"

I MAY just invest.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

How's the visuals on this cheapskate rubbish? Not that I'm going to pump it up with
    HDMI onto a 42" HD.

"whad u expect?!?!"

I MAY just invest.

If that blathering is asking if the picture quality is good, it depends on your internet connection, newer stuff plays in 720i with 5.1 sound as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah I know, it's certainly not exactly blue sky stuff. Its still weighing on my mind

Sure. It's compelling viewing no doubt but I felt depressed and angry after watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

The Grey is on US Netflix now. One of the best movies of 2012 I think. Much deeper than the trailer would suggest. It is good to see Netflix getting a film as new as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

HDMI onto a 42" HD.

"whad u expect?!?!"

I MAY just invest.

I honestly think there are two people inside of you and the nutty one interrupts the sane one in the middle of your sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Grey is on US Netflix now. One of the best movies of 2012 I think. Much deeper than the trailer would suggest. It is good to see Netflix getting a film as new as this.

thats cool its on there so quickly, when did it come out here? Feb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Watched Day of the Triffids (2009), despite having never even heard of said remake before, it was actually pretty decent.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Amores Perros has been added to the US one, ont a new film by any means but a bloody great one. Also notice my favourite guilty pleasure Hot Rod is up there too, cool beans :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Amores Perros has been added to the US one, ont a new film by any means but a bloody great one. Also notice my favourite guilty pleasure Hot Rod is up there too, cool beans :D

How...wheird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

krudler wrote: »
    thats cool its on there so quickly, when did it come out here? Feb?

It came out 27th January here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

All those new additions, is that just US Netflix?, only one I want to watch anyways is Super 8, hope that's on the Irish Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Just watched The Shrine on the US Netflix. Low budget horror that's very creepy. First 30mins or so is a bit slow but it ramps up significantly.
    If you see it tell me that the statue doesn't give you the heebie-jeebies:eek:

Snowtown is on the US one. it's a pretty grim watch but worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mnmfan

Anyway, some good stuff I watched this week..
    Requiem For A Dream (brilliant)
    The Mist (great ending)
    The Machinist (not sure if I liked it or hated it)
    The Mechanic (hard to fault Jason Statham)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

Mnmfan wrote: »
    How are you all watching stuff on the US Netflix?

That's the great thing about Catholicism - it's very vague and no-one knows what its really all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Delighted RTE content has been added. Gonna watch Trivia, The Clinic, and maybe Killinaskully

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I thought it was formulaic and dull meself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

The Grey fantastic stuff quite emotional as well great performance from Liam Neeson, don't let yer man above me put u off!

• Advertisement

Monsters (US Only I think) - Had been meaning to watch this for a while. Thought it was very good, not amazing or anything but well worth a watch. Reminded me a little bit of District 9 in that it tackles real world issues through a sci-fi premise, this time it's illegal immigration between Mexico and the US. It's nice and tense through out and the two main characters put in decent performances. It makes good use of it's small budget too, similar to Troll Hunter in the way it deals with revealing it's monsters. i thought the creature design was a bit lame though, they just look like Octopi. Also felt a bit cheated by the
    night vision intro that happens a few minutes after the actual ending
    , very strange decision by the film makers imo. It's a good solid sci-fi movie though, not your average hollywood monster flick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement