Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

The Bicycle Thief. On the US netflixs, excellent film,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Just watched Midnight Sting on the Irish netflix. Fantastic boxing/conmen film starring James Woods. A very entertaining flick throughout. Good cast in it too with a very young Heather Graham. Check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Warrior is on the US one now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

adox wrote: »
    Think I'm going to watch season 4 of Breaking Bad again, now that it's on Netflix.

Just finished watching seasons 1 to 3. Was gutted that season 4 isn't on it.

Is it definitely on yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Its on the US version but the Irish one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

It will be on the Irish one soon i rang and asked and was told this month with a lot more stuff to be added :D I figure after the Olympics alot of new stuff will be added he also said SofA season 4 was coming as well :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As far as I know Breaking Bad season 4 is only due out on DVD next month, so I'm guessing it will show up on Netflix alongside that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

It will be on the Irish one soon i rang and asked and was told this month with a lot more stuff to be added :D I figure after the Olympics alot of new stuff will be added he also said SofA season 4 was coming as well :D

Phew. I am still on my months trial, and not sure what to watch next. So new content will be most welcome, will hang on to it for another month or 2 anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Just watched warrior on us netflix, awesome film!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Two (sort of) oldies.

Brokedown Palace 1999
    Its about two girls on holiday in Thailand that get done for smuggling drugs.
    Not a bad movie. 3/5

Harsh Times 2005
    Good movie about two mates living in LA and doing a bit of small time hustling while trying to keep their women happy.
    Don't know how I didn't see this before. 4/5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Is harsh times on US netflix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

shortys94 wrote: »
    Is harsh times on US netflix?
    'Tis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Is the Netflix browser really that ****, or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Super8 has just been added.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Mezcita wrote: »
    Super8 has just been added.

Great, that was one of the better films last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Not just you, the Netflix interface is god awful. The Xbox 360 version is damn near unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Glad to see theyre doing well in the UK (and here by extension). Taking aim at Sky too
    Netflix nabs a million UK subscribers, promises to 'invest heavily' to outbid Sky for movie rights

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings has threatened a bidding war with UK Broadcaster BSkyB for premium movie rights, and he could have the war chest to back it up -- the company also hit the million subscriber mark in the UK only seven months after launching there. Netflix UK boasted that it even got there faster than Twitter or Facebook did globally, and chalked up the success to most British households having at least one household streaming device. Meanwhile, Hastings said the US company intends to pry premium Hollywood movie rights away from BSkyB, promising to be "really aggressive in our bidding." The streaming service will have to overcome more than money, however -- the UK's Competition Commission granted BSkyB a rights extension to protect it from the very likes of Netflix.
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/20/netflix-million-subscribers-movie-rights/

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Thats great news, should see the catalogue getting better and better.

I think they've been slowly improving with additions of late, seem to be getting better for new releases with the likes of Drive & Warrior showing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

It was always going to take time! But I can't see Sky giving up their monopoly without a fight to be honest.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    It was always going to take time! But I can't see Sky giving up their monopoly without a fight to be honest.

Maybe murdoch will just buy them out like he usually does, then we'll have access to everything :D

I think a bit of healthy competition can't be a bad thing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Two good documentaries I've watched on the US Netflix are Ride the Divide (stunning scenery and feats of human endurance on two wheels) and Big Rig, a sort of social commentary on working class Americans (truckers in this case), again with some stunning scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Noticed at the weekend that Being Elmo has appeared in the Irish catalogue, as have a fair few David Attenborough BBC documentary series (Life of Plants, Life of Mammals (I think!)... Life of Dinosaurs (and Making Of)... The Blue Planet... I think there's others but can't remember off the top of my head now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Great documentary on US Netflix called The Real Rocky

Its about the life of former heavyweight boxer Chuck Wepner. A man who went 15 rounds with Mohammed Ali when he wasnt really given a hope. The premise is that Sylvester Stallone used Wepner as the main inspiration for the character of Rocky. The film charts Wepners life in the ring, and the legal wranglings with Stallone in his later life. Its shot in a fast cutting / "text on the screen to emphasis points" style ala Tarantino. Very enjoyable hour I thought.

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Is the Netflix browser really that ****, or am I missing something?

yes its awful, the search function too. I dunno why they cant have a "list all" option where you can see the entire catalogue and go through it, most of it is just luck or suggestions from other things you've watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

krudler wrote: »
    most of it is just luck or suggestions from other things you've watched.

Which is rendered useless if you have an OH who just watches Greys Anatomy, The Hills, Dawsons Creek and Julia Roberts movies when you arent around.

The amount of gems i have found simply by typing random words like dead, kill, fire, full, law etc.. into the search function.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My brother watched a load of sports documentary, and many of the suggested categories like 'cerebral Korean films' or 'independent films with a strong female lead' have been replaced by suggestions from the oft ignorable sports and leisure section :(

Also: I've run out of the glorious Louie (perhaps the greatest, most transcendent comedy series of recent times). Boo!

My brother watched a load of sports documentary, and many of the suggested categories like 'cerebral Korean films' or 'independent films with a strong female lead' have been replaced by suggestions from the oft ignorable sports and leisure section :(

Also: I've run out of the glorious Louie (perhaps the greatest, most transcendent comedy series of recent times). Boo!

some of the "because you watched.." suggestions are hilarious though.

Louie is great, probably my favourite comedian these days, check out Bill Burr's shows too, he has a small part in Breaking Bad occasionally, was in last weeks episode as the truck driver. for more comedy but of the animated sort look at Archer if you havent seen it already, its hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Elevator 2011 Good movie, I wasn't expecting much but it was actually quite good. Basically just nine people stuck in a lift with a bomb. Paid in Full 2002 Set in the 80s about drug dealers competing for street corners in Harlem. Oldboy 2003 Korean movie, subtitles on Irish Netflix and dubbed on the Us. I cheated and watched it on the Us, Which i think might of added to the craziness :) Not a bad movie but probably a little overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 17,320 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

All the ESPN 30 for 30 sports docs have turned up on US Netflix the past few weeks. Well worth watching even if you are not into some of the sports involved.

• Advertisement

Documentary Jiro Dreams of Sushi is on US Netflix, and worthy of anyone's time, sushi fan or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement