Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Monsters (US Only I think) - Had been meaning to watch this for a while. Thought it was very good, not amazing or anything but well worth a watch. Reminded me a little bit of District 9 in that it tackles real world issues through a sci-fi premise, this time it's illegal immigration between Mexico and the US. It's nice and tense through out and the two main characters put in decent performances. It makes good use of it's small budget too, similar to Troll Hunter in the way it deals with revealing it's monsters. i thought the creature design was a bit lame though, they just look like Octopi. Also felt a bit cheated by the
    night vision intro that happens a few minutes after the actual ending
    , very strange decision by the film makers imo. It's a good solid sci-fi movie though, not your average hollywood monster flick.

I enjoyed it overall, its a nice little low budget sci fi movie, people were expecting blair witch with aliens but its not like that at all really.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    krudler wrote: »
    I enjoyed it overall, its a nice little low budget sci fi movie, people were expecting blair witch with aliens but its not like that at all really.

Yeah not at all, the aliens are almost just background to the actual story in the film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Monsters is this weird hybrid of mumblecore and monster movie, but nowhere near as satisfying as the pinnacle of each style.

Once Upon A Time In Anatolia and The Turin Horse are both available on the US Netflix now. Both are excellent. If you like purposefully narcoleptic arthouse dramas that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Monsters is this weird hybrid of mumblecore and monster movie, but nowhere near as satisfying as the pinnacle of each style.

Once Upon A Time In Anatolia and The Turin Horse are both available on the US Netflix now. Both are excellent. If you like purposefully narcoleptic arthouse dramas that is.

I'd imagine the demographic for Turin Horse and Monsters wouldn't be the same!

Does anyone know if season 8 of "The Office" will be added to the U.S netflix soon because season 9 starts in the States tomorrow?

I remember a few weeks back season 4 of Breaking Bad was added when season 5 started in the U.S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I signed up to the US Netflix and I can't find Monsters on it at all!

Am I doing something wrong? As I can see Warrior is on it which is US only I think so why can't I find Monsters if ye have seen it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

tok9 wrote: »
    I signed up to the US Netflix and I can't find Monsters on it at all!

Am I doing something wrong? As I can see Warrior is on it which is US only I think so why can't I find Monsters if ye have seen it?

Warrior is on the Irish one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ah no.. I assumed if I signed in to the american version I'd automatically be on the american version even when I'm not using a proxy. :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It would appear (on the US one) the second season of BBC's Sherlock has been added. Have been waiting for this for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Sherlock is just excellent. Have also been enjoying the following

Spooks / MI-5
    Burn Notice
    Arrested Development
    Tremors 1 / 2 / 3 - with low expectations these actually were OK (2 & 3 that is, 1 is already excellent).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Taltos wrote: »
    Tremors 1

A Kevin Bacon classic! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Headhunters is on US Netflix now for anyone in the mood for a blackly comic Scandanavian crime film. Good, insane fun.

More importantly, Freaks & Geeks has been added, which is probably in the three best TV shows ever made. Featuring James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jason Segel and others before they were famous, and better than anything any of them have done subsequently. The sort of follow-up Undeclared is on there too: not as good as F&G, but still worth a look.

More importantly, Freaks & Geeks has been added, which is probably in the three best TV shows ever made. Featuring James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jason Segel and others before they were famous, and better than anything any of them have done subsequently. The sort of follow-up Undeclared is on there too: not as good as F&G, but still worth a look.

Was just about to post this up too! I think Judd Apatow was behind both shows too if I'm not mistaken.

Another month another big update to the US store.

Walking Dead Season 2
    Supernatural Series 7
    A number of Bond titles
    The original Star Trek films
    Dial M For a murder
    Kagemusha
    Natural Born Killers Durectirs Cut
    Red River
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
    Mullhollabd Drive
    Giant
    Paths of Glory
    Night Train to Munich
    Slither
    Get the Gringo
    The Innkeepers
    Margin Call
    cat Run
    Indie Game the Movie
    Max

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Walking Dead Season 2
    Supernatural Series 7
    A number of Bond titles
    Dial M For a murder
    Kagemusha
    Red River
    Mullhollabd Drive
    Giant
    Paths of Glory
    Night Train to Munich
    Slither
    Get the Gringo
    The Innkeepers
    Margin Call
    cat Run
    Indie Game the Movie
    Max

Nice one, not showing up on Instantwatcher yet, the Star Trek movies (2 & 3) and 6 of the (earlier and better!) Bonds are in HD too :) Netflix is definitely the best 6.99 a month ever for any sort of entertainment.

Walking Dead Season 2
    Supernatural Series 7
    A number of Bond titles
    Dial M For a murder
    Kagemusha
    Red River
    Mullhollabd Drive
    Giant
    Paths of Glory
    Night Train to Munich
    Slither
    Get the Gringo
    The Innkeepers
    Margin Call
    cat Run
    Indie Game the Movie
    Max

Nice one, not showing up on Instantwatcher yet, the Star Trek movies (2 & 3) and the 7 (earlier and best!) Bonds are in HD too :)

Lots of stuff coming over the coming days including Act of Valor, Headshot, Warriors of the Rainbow Seediq Bale, Werewolf the Beast Among Us(sequel to the Wolfman), Beyond the Black Rainbow and loads others.

Lots of stuff coming over the coming days including Act of Valor, Headshot, Warriors of the Rainbow Seediq Bale, Werewolf the Beast Among Us(sequel to the Wolfman), Beyond the Black Rainbow and loads others.

What website did you find this out from mate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

not impressed - would prefer more recent high profile titles

they seem to be getting in a lot of older stuff that i have seen already, very few newish wellknown movies on it, may cancel soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

donfers wrote: »

they seem to be getting in a lot of older stuff that i have seen already, very few newish wellknown movies on it, may cancel soon enough

thats exactly what netflix is older films
    do you really expect new movies for 7 euro a month
    when its 6 euro to rent a dvd?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

What website did you find this out from mate?

www.streamingsoon.com is usually up to date for whats coming.

• Advertisement

That is not what Netflix is at all. Why would they spend obscene amounts on high-profile titles (likely easily available in all manner of other formats) when they can get hundreds of back catalogue or independent releases for the same price? It actually kind of disappoints me they get the likes of Thor and Captain America so early when they could be building up their sometimes limited classic cinema selection.

Netflix have discussed their business model in depth. If they were to get newer, bigger titles then the subscription price would increase. For the low cost of the service the catalogue you get access to us fantastic. The US store has hundreds of gems including an extensive selection of foreign films, many of which aren't even on DVD.

Netflix is about having access to a back catalogue of content, if you want the newest box office smash hits then you can acquire them from any one of a dozen places. Just know that renting one of two newer releases will cost more than your monthly netflix subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I am more excited that Freaks & Geeks is a new release on Netflix than any recent films.

I am more excited that Freaks & Geeks is a new release on Netflix than any recent films.

Two episodes in now for me. I haven't actually watched it since RTE showed it way back when. It's so good, been meaning to import the DVD for years but never got around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Two episodes in now for me. I haven't actually watched it since RTE showed it way back when. It's so good, been meaning to import the DVD for years but never got around to it.

I watched the pilot last night and it was brilliant. I don't like Apatow now as he seems to hire his annoying wife for every bad movie he makes, but he made this and was a writer for the best comedy of all time The Larry Sander Show so he has/had bags of talent.

It's shameful stuff that F&G was never made available in the UK. Imported the boxset years ago (after catching a handful of episodes on RTE) and have rewatched the whole thing a few times. The cast of characters are ones you just enjoy spending time with, and it's a show that completely nails adolescent life. It's like My So Called Life with all the cringey early-90s stuff removed, and a better soundtrack :P. While it's disappointing it only lasted 19 episodes, ultimately it's perhaps for the best. Like Firefly, the fact that it didn't descend into redundancy or repetitiveness is what makes it so special.

It's shameful stuff that F&G was never made available in the UK. Imported the boxset years ago (after catching a handful of episodes on RTE) and have rewatched the whole thing a few times. The cast of characters are ones you just enjoy spending time with, and it's a show that completely nails adolescent life. It's like My So Called Life with all the cringey early-90s stuff removed, and a better soundtrack :P. While it's disappointing it only lasted 19 episodes, ultimately it's perhaps for the best. Like Firefly, the fact that it didn't descend into redundancy or repetitiveness is what makes it so special.

I'm afraid there's only 18 episodes dude :(

One great thing about the 18 episodes is they have a nice conclusive ending (iirc that is), at least they weren't left hanging with it like firefly where it had to end without wrapping things up, though i'm eternally greatful they got to make up for that with the fantastic movie later.

F&G is definitely a show I will keep revisiting down the line I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Yeah thats one thing I like about netflix, your able to re-watch series that you like.
    Re-watching the American Office, forgot how funny some of it was, the lastest series is very poor "thats what she said"

On the ending of Freaks & Geeks (some non-specific details followed, but spoilered just in case)...
    it could be interpreted as a cliffhanger of sorts, and there's certainly suggestions throughout the series of where it all could have gone in a second season. But I think it still works as a conclusion, as the characters move onto new journeys. It might have been nice to see those journeys, but there's definitely a full arc to the series as is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

F&G is fantastic, everyone should watch it. Apatow's movies are getting worse and worse, I liked The 40 Year Old Virgin but even that has his worst traits, hiring actors who are his mates, his annoying wife, meandering running time, too many sub plots that go nowhere. there's really no need for a comedy to be 2hrs+, sometimes longer, 90-100 mins is perfect. on the dvd version of Virgin its almost an hour into it before he even meets the Catherine Keener character.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement