Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Separate threads for film & TV
    Think I'm going to watch season 4 of Breaking Bad again, now that it's on Netflix. I just can't be doing with watching season 5 week by week so I'm going to save them up and recap on season 4 instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

krudler wrote: »
    its not an instantly rewarding show it takes a few eps to build up, its slow in places and very character driven but is very dark humour at times, its worth the effort though, once events are set in place and by the time it gets to season 3/4 its riveting stuff. I'm not exaggerating when I say season 4 has one of the best season finales of a tv show ever. ever.

Cheers, got through the first series and Its very good so far. Dragged me away from 24 which I found was an unrealistic confused programme.
    Looking forward to series 2 :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Cheers, got through the first series and Its very good so far. Dragged me away from 24 which I found was an unrealistic confused programme.
    Looking forward to series 2 :)

Nearing the end of season 2 now, it doesn't take long for it to move into "just one more episode, then I'll got to sleep....." territory once you start it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Watching Cinema Paradiso the other night on US Netflix, lovely little film.

Also watching Season 1 of the Killing (US), halfway through and loving it! I watched episode one of the Danish version also to compare and I found the US superior. Haters gona Hate!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Also watching Season 1 of the Killing (US), halfway through and loving it! I watched episode one of the Danish version also to compare and I found the US superior. Haters gona Hate!

If you watch both, by the end of the US version you will be wondering why you bothered watching!

Episode 1 is very similar in both versions. After that the US one goes slowly downhill, while the Danish one gets better and better.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched a french movie called Tomboy on US Netflix last night. It's written and directed by Céline Sciamma who also made the similar in tone and theme Water Lillies (also on Netflix).

Where Water lillies was about teenagers this is about a much younger girl named Laure. It basically follows her summer where he family move in to a new flat. She makes friends with the local kids but she's quite confused about her gender and tells the other's she's a boy named Mikael. It's quite a short film but it deals with its complex themes pretty well I thought and the young cast are very good. Nicely shot too. Worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Finished it this week... just brilliant.

No spoilers, but found episode 11 "missing" to be a waste of 45 mins... 90% of the episode had no point to it but the story got back on track in episode 12 thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I can't recommend the Danish version of the Killing enough. Take note, the US version just got cancelled. Started off with good reviews and ratings and went downhill. I watched the Original and compared to US after and there is no comparison.

Just compare the way the very beginning of the first episode where the victim is chased through the forest. There is far more tension and fear in the scene in the original than the US version which rushed through it and lacked the same atmosphere.

The American show's downfall was letting on that season would solve the murderr like the original then left viewers on another cliffhanger and took until the next seasons end to complete it, changing more and also the murderer also. Ratings slumped, people lost interest while the Danish one had a mighty 2nd season with a new and very different murder mystery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And the Danish version has Sofie Gråbøl and her awesome jumpers!

Since the original is on the Irish Netflix (unfortunately not the excellent second series yet), there ain't no excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

And the Danish version has Sofie Gråbøl and her awesome jumpers!

Since the original is on the Irish Netflix (unfortunately not the excellent second series yet), there ain't no excuse!

Ha ha! i noticed that in the american one too... she looked like a yank was let loose in the Kilkenny shop to buy aran jumpers! :D

Heard that the american season season got csnned... to bad, as it had serious potential to become another Law and order SVU.

• Advertisement

Samurai Champloo is on US nutflix now, really can't recommend it enough!! Its the dubbed version though of course :(
    krudler wrote: »
    it just gets better and better as it goes on, keep with it. you'll thank me once you see season 4.

Finished it the other night. THANK YOU :pac: Outstanding stuff, the last 4 episodes were brilliant
    when Fring walked out of that room I thought the bomb hadn't worked somehow, then the big wtf moment when half his face is missing. Thought the ending kind of felt like the show was done then, will be interesting to see where season 5 goes, glad Mike wasn't done in, he's my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

A Film With Me In It starring Dylan Moran who if you like, you will probably like the movie.

Takes a while to get going but surprisingly good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Network (1976) on the US version. What a great film with a memorable ending.

Also on the US version is the film, King of Devil's Island (Norwegian: Kongen av Bastøy),
    Norwegian winter, early 20th century. At the boys home Bastoy, a new inmate leads the boys to a violent uprising against a brutal regime. How far is he willing to go to attain freedom?

Very watch-able and a storyline not unknown to an Irish audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I just moved back from the US.. and must say that the irish catalogue of movies on netflix isn't great, anyone have any recommendations for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

CMpunked wrote: »
    I just moved back from the US.. and must say that the irish catalogue of movies on netflix isn't great, anyone have any recommendations for it?
    Harry brown is a good clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Samurai Champloo is on US nutflix now, really can't recommend it enough!! Its the dubbed version though of course :(

Finished it the other night. THANK YOU :pac: Outstanding stuff, the last 4 episodes were brilliant
    when Fring walked out of that room I thought the bomb hadn't worked somehow, then the big wtf moment when half his face is missing. Thought the ending kind of felt like the show was done then, will be interesting to see where season 5 goes, glad Mike wasn't done in, he's my favourite.

told ya it got better as it went on :D one of the best season finales ever, my jaw hit the floor. a lot of season 4 is buildup to the climax, season 5 is 3 episodes in now and its just launches into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

CMpunked wrote: »

"Move" back to the States ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

****ers on US Netflix have put up what appears to be the majority of the Troma catalogue, or for some reason they've only now decided to advertise it prominently to me.

I really, really shouldn't, because they're trashy beyond belief, but I just know morbid curiosity is going to get the better of me. The lure of Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D is too horribly strong.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

****ers on US Netflix have put up what appears to be the majority of the Troma catalogue, or for some reason they've only now decided to advertise it prominently to me.

I really, really shouldn't, because they're trashy beyond belief

Heh, isn't that the truth? The last Troma film I remember watching was Surf Nazis Must Die, a film so woeful it nearly competes with Dragon Lives Again for my personal "Most unintentionally hilarious and entertaining bad film" award.

(That being said, outside of a beer-fuelled "look! None of the gangs ever have more than 3 members and at least half of them use the same extras over and over!" session I doubt I'd ever watch Surf Nazis again, whereas Dragon Lives Again is surreal comedy gold...)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

30 for 30 from ESPN Films is now on the US Netflix! Some great stuff there.

• Advertisement

God Bless America and The Hunter (Willem Dafoe) on Netflix US now, any recommendations between them of what's worth a look?

God Bless America and The Hunter (Willem Dafoe) on Netflix US now, any recommendations between them of what's worth a look?

Watched both of them, thought they were great. God Bless america is very funny if a bit heavy handed in places. Hunter is a sombre affair, liked it a lot but didn't like the direction it takes in the last act.

Loved The Hunter, lovely pacing and Dafoe was excellent, had no problem with the end, logical he would do that after
    what happened with the family
    no? Its a crime that gems like this barely get a cinema release (2 or 3 weeks in a few cinemas nationwide) when nonsense like those never ending slew of Batman films are on everywhere for ages, :mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Loved The Hunter, lovely pacing and Dafoe was excellent, had no problem with the end, logical he would do that after
    no? Its a crime that gems like this barely get a cinema release (2 or 3 weeks in a few cinemas nationwide) when nonsense like those never ending slew of Batman films are on everywhere for ages, :mad:.
    The never ending slew that has just ended?

Looking forward to watching the Hunter over the weekend despite the mixed reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Absolutely loving Breaking Bad boxset - HD streaming is something I didn't know Netflix were doing until I went for the free month.

I'll be keeping the service after the month.

Oh no I agree that was the logical conclusion, absolutely.
    I just found the mother and daughter getting killed felt a bit out of place, it didn't really sit right with me for some reason.

Ape X wrote: »
    The never ending slew that has just ended?

Looking forward to watching the Hunter over the weekend despite the mixed reviews.

Mark my words, there will be another "remake' "reboot" or whatever the nonsense term is of it coming along shortly, now that original ideas in cinema are pretty much dead. I'd rather one "The Hunter" than a thousand stupid Batman films.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Oh no I agree that was the logical conclusion, absolutely.
    I just found the mother and daughter getting killed felt a bit out of place, it didn't really sit right with me for some reason.

I know what you mean, I suppose they were exaggerating the
    evil corporation that will stop at nothing
    angle. Still, overall I just loved it, especially the literal sparseness of the film, no rich idiots with macho deep voices dressing up like tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Mark my words, there will be another "remake' "reboot" or whatever the nonsense term is of it coming along shortly, now that original ideas in cinema are pretty much dead.
    Of course there will, but the current trilogy that just ended is far from "stupid". But that's a debate for a different thread.

• Advertisement

Ape X wrote: »
    Of course there will, but the current trilogy that just ended is far from "stupid". But that's a debate for a different thread.

Check out my "Stupid Batman" thread!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement