Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

A friend told me he got a call from Eircom asking him if he wanted to sign up to Fibre. He is in Swords - Could they be finished upgrading Swords exchange already?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

AdamD wrote: »
    On their map it says Fibre powered is available 'to the box' at the dundrum exchange, yet when I ring them its not? :S

The two nearby exchanges ( Priory and Dundrum) were largely but not completely cabinetised.....which is what will happen the two new tranches announced in the last year.

So that seems perfectly plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

Praetorian wrote: »
    http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Reference-Offers/

click on coverage maps, then click the broadband tick box, and you can then zoom in and see where most of the exchanges are. Map seems to be accurate.

That's a class link - finally got to measure the distance to my exchanged. 4.5KM as Google flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Go for a walk, you'll usually find them on corners of streets or, at green spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The two nearby exchanges ( Priory and Dundrum) were largely but not completely cabinetised.....which is what will happen the two new tranches announced in the last year.

So that seems perfectly plausible.

Ah ok, has a date been set on this yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Can't wait until the day FTTC/FTTH is available in my area... only about 100 metres from my cabinet :D
    Hopefully I'll be included in phase 3 but still prob be waiting a year+ :rolleyes:
    (greystones btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

stevenf17 wrote: »
    Can't wait until the day FTTC/FTTH is available in my area... only about 100 metres from my cabinet :D
    Hopefully I'll be included in phase 3 but still prob be waiting a year+ :rolleyes:
    (greystones btw)

So phase 1 and 2 are completed now is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

SickBoy wrote: »
    So phase 1 and 2 are completed now is that right?

No not nearly!
    Phase 1 is getting there... phase 2 was only announced few weeks ago, but there expecting to finish that by the end of the year!
    And Phase 3, that's anyone's guess. That's why I said I hope to be included!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'm impressed at the speed at which the installation of fibre in Douglas in Cork is going.

Eircom have absolutely blitzed the area in the last few days and they have made huge progress. The street cabinets, mostly at housing estate entrances, have all had fibre pulled to them and new cabinets were being delivered and installed this morning.

Based on what I am seeing, it looks to me like this kind of rollout could be done very quickly in most Irish urban / suburban areas. Douglas would compare to any suburb of Dublin or elsewhere really.

They already have the duct infrastructure in place and it seems just a matter of pulling / pushing the fibres through.

Hopefully, this rollout continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Where do you go then to find out if this product is or will be available? I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in this thread but there's 250+ posts to trawl through :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

SickBoy wrote: »
    Where do you go then to find out if this product is or will be available? I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in this thread but there's 250+ posts to trawl through :(

Phase 1: Summer of 2012

Mervue (Galway); Douglas (Cork); Dooradoyle (Limerick); Tallaght, Ballyboden, Palmerstown, Swords, Donabate Co. Dublin; Clonee, Co Meath; Letterkenny, Co Donegal;

Phase 2: End of 2012

Shantalla (Galway); Quaker Rd (Cork); Limerick City (Limerick); Rathedmond (Sligo); Ballincollig (Cork); Belcamp, Dun Laoghaire, Rochestown (Dublin); Ennis (Clare); Drogheda (Louth); Bray (Wicklow); Ballina and Castlebar (Mayo).

Not sure if Phase3/4 have been announced yet. There are cabinets springing up everywhere in letterkenny in the past week or so, good to see them trying to get it finished as soon as possible.

As it stands im 850 Metres from a cabinet, what speeds can I realistically expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Is the Dundrum rollout as finished as its going to get? - ie. If I can't get it now despite being in a 'green' area on the map will I never get it? Or are they due to complete the area soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Huge work going on by Eircom on the Donnybrook Hill in Douglas today. They are laying loads and loads of cable.

Happy days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

They have been pulling lots of cable over the past few weeks in Carrick-On-Suir (South Tipperary) even though Carrick-On-Suir hasnt been mentioned for phase 1 or 2. No sign of any new cabinets yet though.

Their plans must be larger then they are letting on ?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Eircoms top 67 Exchanges serve over 1m lines between them and have 10,000 lines each. Minimum.

If your exchange is not on this list then you may consider an upgrade is somewhat unlikely to say the least.

TLH Tallaght
    CRA Crown Alley
    BDT Blanchardstown
    DBN Dolphins Barn
    BBH Beggars Bush
    NMN North Main
    MER Merrion
    BLP Belcamp
    PRP Priory Park
    BLB Ballyboden
    DLA Dunlaoghaire
    SRD Swords
    WAL Walkinstown
    LMK Roches Street
    QKR Quaker Road
    FNG Finglas
    MVW Mervue
    DBC Drogheda
    RMS Rathmines
    PAL Palmerstown
    DDK Dundalk
    TRE Terenure
    DDM Dundrum
    KNY Kilkenny
    SAN Santry
    WTD Waterford Central
    BRI Bray
    NUT Nutley
    ENS Ennis
    CHF Churchfield
    CAB Cabra
    CRW Carlow
    SRL Summerhill
    WHI Whitehall
    NAS Naas
    ROC Rochestown
    LKY Letterkenny
    TWV Tralee
    MGR Mullingar
    SLA Shantalla
    WRD Wellington Road
    DGS Douglas
    CKC Cork Central
    AUV Navan
    STN Sutton
    DNU Droichead Nua ( Newbridge)
    DYX Dennehys Cross
    CLK Coolock
    CLM Clonmel
    LKD Dooradoyle
    CRL Crumlin
    CBR Castlebar
    CLT Clontarf
    CLD Nangor Road
    BNC Ballincollig
    LCN Lucan Ballydowd
    SKL Shankill
    PHB Phibsboro
    BRN Balbriggan
    CHD Caherdavin
    PGS Portlaoise
    TYC Tycor
    SHP Ship Street
    GAL Galway
    KLN Killarney
    SNH Sandyford Aeh

Carrick-On-Suir not on this list and doesnt seem to be covered on the "Possible FTTC roll-out footprint" map !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

I'm in Ashbrook, Letterkenny, and I see that the new second cabinet was connected to the ESB box at Binnion Avenue today. I expect they are ready to go. Had Eircom on the phone yesterday asking if I wanted to come back to them?
    FTTC / FTTH of course I do. And the prices are OK. But they couldn't tell me when the product would be ready!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Alun wrote: »
    Does anybody have any reliable info on what equipment (make, model) is provided in both cases, i.e. FTTH and FTTC, and how is the phone connection realized i.e. for FTTC is it a normal connection like with ADSL, or is it via some kind of VOIP setup?

FTTC is VDSL2
    FFTH is GPON

Huawei won the contract to supply the equipment for the FTTH and FTTC infrastructure, although Alcatel Lucent was the other final competitor, so their stock will also be used, but mainly expect Huawei..

FTTC, full install would be VDSL2 Broadband, with VoIP ... you can keep your regular POTS, but you then have to pay for extra line rental too
    iMuse wrote: »

As it stands im 850 Metres from a cabinet, what speeds can I realistically expect?

realistically, 15 megs, 20 maybe if you have a good case wire ...

VDSL2 has almost full service (50 megs) within the first 350 meters (again depending on case wire, interconnections etc..) or so from the cab, but rolls of fast after that ...

VDSL2 profile tables on pages 30 & 31.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Oceans12

i would assume that the main type of connections in Drogheda ( DBC )
    would be FTTC, with a small part FTTH.

is it possible to find out what parts of a rollout area will be FTTH / FTTC?

i havent seen any eircom works in Drogheda yet, laying cable etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/fibre/

150mb !!!! Does anyone know where this is available yet ????

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Contrarian

provisional and unofficial as yet list of exchanges to be completed by mid 2013

CLONEE
    MERVUE
    SWORDS
    DOUGLAS
    TALLAGHT
    LETTERKENY
    PALMERSTOWN
    DONABATE
    BALLYBODEN
    DOORADOYLE
    BLANCHARDSTOWN
    PRIORY PARK
    BRAY
    DROGHEDA
    ROCHESTOWN
    DUN LAOGHAIRE
    BELCAMP
    DOLPHINS BARN
    DUNDRUM
    DUNDALK
    ENNIS
    SUTTON
    TERENURE
    BALLINCOLLIG
    RATHMINES
    BALBRIGGAN
    CROWN ALLEY
    BEGGARS BUSH
    QUAKER ROAD
    CHURCHFIELD
    SHANKILL
    MULLINGAR
    TRALEE
    KILKENNY
    GREYSTONES
    WALKINSTOWN
    CORK CENTRAL
    NAVAN
    COOLOCK
    WHITEHALL
    FINGLAS
    CABRA
    WELLINGTON ROAD
    NUTLEY
    DROICHEAD NUA
    RUSH
    CARRIGALINE
    CARLOW
    CASTLEBAR
    DENNEHYS CROSS
    NAAS
    CLONTARF
    CELBRIDGE
    FOXROCK

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaahooters

am i the only one that thinks the new "unlimited off peak" calls is a bit of a dick move, considering, that now ofor the same price you cna have free calls anytime?

nm, saw that the new plans are all the same, might stick to the one im on so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Ah no way. Mid 2013. Why do they have it advertised on their site so?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Contrarian

Sandyford and Wexford town are done already and the following will all be completed over the next few months:
    Dooradoyle (Limerick); Ballyboden (Dublin); Palmerstown (Dublin); Douglas (Cork); Shantalla (Galway); Quaker Rd (Cork); Limerick City (Limerick); Rathedmond (Sligo); Ballincollig (Cork); Belcamp, Dun Laoghaire, Rochestown (Dublin); Ennis, (Clare); Drogheda, (Louth); Bray, (Wicklow); Ballina and Castlebar( Mayo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Oceans12

Contrarian wrote: »
    Sandyford and Wexford town are done already and the following will all be completed over the next few months:
    Dooradoyle (Limerick); Ballyboden (Dublin); Palmerstown (Dublin); Douglas (Cork); Shantalla (Galway); Quaker Rd (Cork); Limerick City (Limerick); Rathedmond (Sligo); Ballincollig (Cork); Belcamp, Dun Laoghaire, Rochestown (Dublin); Ennis, (Clare); Drogheda, (Louth); Bray, (Wicklow); Ballina and Castlebar( Mayo).

Any way of finding out if Drogheda will be mainly FTTC or FTTH ?

With the exception of Clonee (rural with an unusual amount of underground ducting) I think all the 50 odd exchanges listed by Contrarian are on the top 67 list I posted here some weeks ago.

The FTTX and FTTC rollouts are unlikely to go beyond 200 exchanges and most of the remainder will be small URBAN exchanges.

I personally doubt if they will get to any town with a population under 5000 before they go back into examinership and we will be lucky if they do every urbanisation with 10,000 persons or more by then....eg Tuam and Midleton are around that if you count everyone within 3 miles of the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Will only newer housing be getting FTTH? (ie housing built in the last 10-15yrs) or does completely new infrastructure need to be installed in ALL houses between home and cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,816 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Only three years,
    awesome , they can rip up the new roads just after completion,

• Advertisement

UPC will go and fibre an entire estate if the ducting is there an they are in that town on co ax. eircom simply won't tell you what they will do. Amazingly some of the guys planning and laying UPC fibre are also laying eircom fibre but they are subcontractors.

Nobody outside a small team in Dublin is authorised to do or plan anything and the local engineers are completely out of the loop on this FTTx project save that technicians are being trained on installation issues.

eircom have stashed a group of around 30 Chinese engineers somewhere (in HQ or Citywest...they were in HQ before christmas) , these Chinese guys know a lot more than the eircom Area Engineers do. :(

Advertisement