Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭_John C

All this fibre there running must be costing them a fortune. Anyone got an idea how much it costs for the cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Run your own cable over to the cabinet so. :)

As a matter of interest how much would it cost to run your own fibre cable from your home to your local cabinet? Say € per 100m

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Caseywhale

Hogzy wrote: »
    As a matter of interest how much would it cost to run your own fibre cable from your home to your local cabinet? Say € per 100m

I's like to know if you can do this too.

Is there a way to get a group of people together to finance a new cabinet and run fibre to it. I doubt Eircom would even let you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Fibre is dirt cheap, much cheaper than copper. Digging holes is the expensive bit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Fibre is dirt cheap, much cheaper than copper. Digging holes is the expensive bit

My housing estate has a substantial amount green areas. Could the fiber cable run under those green areas to save digging costs? For example there if there were a grass verge between the footpath and the road could the fiber be channeled under that grass verge so as to reduce digging up roadway and repaving it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

My housing estate has a substantial amount green areas. Could the fiber cable run under those green areas to save digging costs? For example there if there were a grass verge between the footpath and the road could the fiber be channeled under that grass verge so as to reduce digging up roadway and repaving it?

Yeah go back a few pages there was a vid on laying fiber cabling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What I meant by digging holes wasn't just the physical digging of holes, there are many other things involved, planning permission, duct ownership, maintenance etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

Anyone know when Dundalk is getting fibred up ?

It is bigger than Drogheda yet they are on Phase 2 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Salvation wrote: »
    Anyone know when Dundalk is getting fibred up ?

It is bigger than Drogheda yet they are on Phase 2 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Really?? Just checked the CSO 2011 results, Drogheda's population is larger by about 700. I imagine the main Dundalk exchange area will be done starting next year, but that's based on eircom continuing the rollout at a speedy pace and assuming they'll do the biggest urban areas first. Remember, there are still a number of very large exchanges in Dublin even that aren't covered yet. Also, Drogheda is a useful early candidate because much of the urban area is unusually far from its exchange (much moreso than Dundalk) and most of the lines go through cabinets. So the rollout will be simpler compared to the Merrion exchange in Dublin for example and will offer a substantial benefit to customers in a few areas of the town.

Nothing happen in Waterford, as usual :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Doylers wrote: »
    Nothing happen in Waterford, as usual :rolleyes:
    Be happy with your cable broadband:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

From what I've seen going on in Douglas, there's very little digging involved. They just push the fibre through the existing ducts.

There's very little of eircom's urban networks overhead.
    The telephone poles you do see are usually fed from an undeground vault and just distribute a few lines out to houses in older areas that were originally overhead wiring, but the bundles of copper all go via cabinets and underground.

So in a lot of cases, it should be easy enough to connect people to fibre.

Even some very old 1920s/30s developments appear to have underground services.

The only places you'd see genuine overhead multicore line used is in rural areas / edges of suburban areas where houses are scattered along semi-rural roads.

Be happy with your cable broadband:p

Im on 3Mb vodafone :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

I have fu*king 1MB Eircom BB, it sucks!

My meteor dongle gets me 5MB but it's ****y midband.

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!

Really?? Just checked the CSO 2011 results, Drogheda's population is larger by about 700. I imagine the main Dundalk exchange area will be done starting next year, but that's based on eircom continuing the rollout at a speedy pace and assuming they'll do the biggest urban areas first. Remember, there are still a number of very large exchanges in Dublin even that aren't covered yet. Also, Drogheda is a useful early candidate because much of the urban area is unusually far from its exchange (much moreso than Dundalk) and most of the lines go through cabinets. So the rollout will be simpler compared to the Merrion exchange in Dublin for example and will offer a substantial benefit to customers in a few areas of the town.

It is true Drogheda has more than one actual exchange..

As for size of the town we are always going to be bigger ;)

Salvation wrote: »
    It is true Drogheda has more than one actual exchange..

As for size of the town we are always going to be bigger ;)
    As does Dundalk, the "Blackrock" exchange actually being beside Carrolls cigarettes old factory for example, and a couple of small ones like Racecourse Road. The Donore Road exchange in SW Drogheda took care of the long lines problem there but I don't know if that will be included in the VSDL2 phase 2 rollout

As does Dundalk, the "Blackrock" exchange actually being beside Carrolls cigarettes old factory for example, and a couple of small ones like Racecourse Road. The Donore Road exchange in SW Drogheda took care of the long lines problem there but I don't know if that will be included in the VSDL2 phase 2 rollout

The Blackrock Exchange is actually at the fairways hotel at the new traffic lights it is the small building with the small mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Can you give me a google maps link to that exchange on the Donore road?

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

eircom have not upgraded any of these smaller infill urban exchanges, Drogheda has a number of them as do most cities. They won't upgrade the rural hinterland of the Drogheda exchange either...ie to the north and west.

These exchanges were carved out of what was originally a single Drogheda exchange and over time as Drogheda grew particularly to the south.

COLPE CROSS CPX 041 -6.3083922 53.7022349
    COLPE CROSS TWO / COLPE BUILDING CLX 041 -6.311882 53.701686
    DROGHEDA AEH (DONORE) DAH 041 -6.3629 53.705329
    TULLYALLEN TLN 041 -6.4167802 53.73835

Crude coverage map at bottom of this page http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/ turn on Exchange Boundaries top right.

eircom have not upgraded any of these smaller infill urban exchanges, Drogheda has a number of them as do most cities. They won't upgrade the rural hinterland of the Drogheda exchange either...ie to the north and west.

These exchanges were carved out of what was originally a single Drogheda exchange and over time as Drogheda grew particularly to the south.

COLPE CROSS CPX 041 -6.3083922 53.7022349
    COLPE CROSS TWO / COLPE BUILDING CLX 041 -6.311882 53.701686
    DROGHEDA AEH (DONORE) DAH 041 -6.3629 53.705329
    TULLYALLEN TLN 041 -6.4167802 53.73835

Crude coverage map at bottom of this page http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/ turn on Exchange Boundaries top right.

Could you elaborate on this a bit further and how it will impact me when Drogheda is upgraded to Fibre?

According to the map in the link, I am 4367m from the exchange or 4.37 kilometres. With the exchange boundaries option turned on, the orange line almost intersects my house in Donore... Will my line be upgraded to fibre at some point or am I out of luck?

Fwiw, here are my current line stats:

Eircom NGB broadband - Recently enabled:

Type: Interleave Path

Downstream Upstream

Data Rate (kbps) 3072 384
    Noise Margin (dB) 13 21.0
    Attenuation (dB) 50.9 29.0
    Output power(dbm) 19.4 11.9

Fairly stable connection recently. (I tried 4mb but it was not stable enough and I went back down to 3mb)

• Advertisement

DRose1 wrote: »
    Will my line be upgraded to fibre at some point or am I out of luck?

Attenuation (dB) 50.9 29.0

You are on seemingly on a long line there 2 miles to 2.5 miles long, most likely Drogheda not Donore.

They propose to push the exchange closer to you so that your line will start from a box on the street within 1000m and that will improve matters. There is likely a box or cabinet there already and another will appear beside it.

You will use your existing copper for the last 1000m ( more than likely nearer 500m in the urban area of Drogheda).

Only those in the centre near the existing Drogheda exchange will get fibre in the door. The vast majority ( 80%+) will continue with their existing lines albeit a much shortened existing line.

HTH!

You are on seemingly on a long line there 2 miles to 2.5 miles long, most likely Drogheda not Donore.

They propose to push the exchange closer to you so that your line will start from a box on the street within 1000m and that will improve matters. There is likely a box or cabinet there already and another will appear beside it.

You will use your existing copper for the last 1000m ( more than likely nearer 500m in the urban area of Drogheda).

Only those in the centre near the existing Drogheda exchange will get fibre in the door. The vast majority ( 80%+) will continue with their existing lines albeit a much shortened existing line.

HTH!

So being conservative, could I be looking at say a stable 10mb line in the near future?

Where is the cabinet nearest the end of your road???

203541.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

I little bit off topic but, what do yas think is going to happen here?
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/plan-rescuing-eircom-from-insolvency-to-be-agreed-3103076.html

No idea, Hutchison could make the same offer to the 'creditors' when they become the new owners after the approved rescue plan. They may tell Hutchison to feck off like the examiner did. This permabankruptcy of eircom is becoming very tedious. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One more question regarding the upgrades. Will it be the case that normal ADSL(2+) users will also be migrated to the DSLAMs in the new FTTC cabinets, or will they retain their existing copper connections to the DSLAMs in their exchange? I guess that would depend on capacity, i.e. would the cabinets be capable of handling the same number of connections that previously went through the cabinet as copper connections, or less?

Should be ALUN but eircom are completely unforthcoming on that subject and simply will not confirm whether a non VDSL profile can be provisioned off the new cabs.

If you live on the rural edge of Drogheda an ADSL2 service launched from a cab on the urban fringe would be much better than the same service launched from the depths of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Should be ALUN but eircom are completely unforthcoming on that subject and simply will not confirm whether a non VDSL profile can be provisioned off the new cabs.

If you live on the rural edge of Drogheda an ADSL2 service launched from a cab on the urban fringe would be much better than the same service launched from the depths of town.

It would be silly not to. Eircom could improve the speeds of a lot of people who have rubbish connections vastly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Praetorian wrote: »
    It would be silly not to. Eircom could improve the speeds of a lot of people who have rubbish connections vastly.
    Also in my case I could probably get a pretty good ADSL2+ connection at the distance I am from the likely position of my nearest cabinet (about 350m), using my own modem and keep my existing analogue phone connection for my alarm rather than having to use their Thomson/Alcatel/Technicolor all-singing-and-dancing "Home Hub" thingy.

Of course they'd have to tinker with the bundle pricing for the ADSL products to make that approach make sense, as NGB Ultimate is currently €60pm, and fibre 25Mb is €50, although NGB ultimate is "unlimited", i.e. a FUP of 250GB.

• Advertisement

You will probably have to get a new line for VDSL and keep the old Pots line for the alarm ,

Advertisement