Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Where is the cabinet nearest the end of your road???

203541.jpg

How would I go about locating that cabinet in Donore on Google Maps?

I searched through the Eircom websites and can't find any reference to anything in Donore, just Drogheda?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Donore itself is out past the motorway, eircom are not doing anything out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Oceans12

Donore itself is out past the motorway, eircom are not doing anything out there.

DROGHEDA AEH (DONORE) DAH 041 -6.3629 53.705329

is just across the road from funtasia! in the industrial estate, in the eircom premises, just up from doran motors

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You will probably have to get a new line for VDSL and keep the old Pots line for the alarm ,
    .. the extra cost of which would be prohibitive. Is there a real technical reason why the DSLAM's in the cabinets can't just digitize and pass through voice signals to the exchange in the same way that the ones in the exchange can?

Oceans12 wrote: »
    DROGHEDA AEH (DONORE) DAH 041 -6.3629 53.705329

is just across the road from funtasia! in the industrial estate, in the eircom premises, just up from doran motors

So people out in Donore are out of luck in regard to the new fibre upgrades in Drogheda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Donore itself is covered by Duleek exchange, and really should have its own dedicated exchange. Tullyallen never served any ex-drogheda lines, it exclusively serves a housing estate last time I checked. Donore Road exch serves a substantial number (probably thousands) of lines so I'm interested if eircom roll out fibre for that area.

Donore itself is covered by Duleek exchange, and really should have its own dedicated exchange. Tullyallen never served any ex-drogheda lines, it exclusively serves a housing estate last time I checked. Donore Road exch serves a substantial number (probably thousands) of lines so I'm interested if eircom roll out fibre for that area.

If that is the case, I am 4.75km from the Duleek exchange, which would seem to correlate with my line stats:

Eircom NGB broadband - Recently enabled:

Type: Interleave Path

Downstream Upstream

Data Rate (kbps) 3072 384
    Noise Margin (dB) 13 21.0
    Attenuation (dB) 50.9 29.0
    Output power(dbm) 19.4 11.9

If you ring 1901 they should be able to tell you what exchange you are connected to right now.

Alun wrote: »
    .. the extra cost of which would be prohibitive. Is there a real technical reason why the DSLAM's in the cabinets can't just digitize and pass through voice signals to the exchange in the same way that the ones in the exchange can?

There are two classes of cabinet.

One is an MSAN ( multiple service) which could do voice and data an ethernet even..

The other is xDSL only and cannot provide a legacy voice circuit. eircom will deploy the latter. You could still get legacy voice 'joined' with the xDSL from the original exchange but I think there are voltage issues at distance so maybe eircom does not need the hassle.

Try changing the alarm to GSM alerting perhaps??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are two classes of cabinet.

One is an MSAN ( multiple service) which could do voice and data an ethernet even..

The other is xDSL only and cannot provide a legacy voice circuit. eircom will deploy the latter. You could still get legacy voice 'joined' with the xDSL from the original exchange but I think there are voltage issues at distance so maybe eircom does not need the hassle.
    Thanks, that would certainly explain it.
    Try changing the alarm to GSM alerting perhaps??
    I could do that but I understand that these are easily jammed with a cheap jammer device. I was hoping to avoid connecting the alarm over a VOIP circuit but it looks like I'll have no choice, although adding a small UPS to the router and phone would at least maintain connectivity in case of a power failure.

In that case I may bite the bullet and just go with UPC, but my experiences with reliability of their TV service (regular outages of several hours during the day) in the past which made me give them up and go to a satellite/Saorview solution doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, and as both me and the wife work regularly from home that isn't really an option.

• Advertisement

If you ring 1901 they should be able to tell you what exchange you are connected to right now.

I rang eircom and they said I am connected to the Drogheda exchange. I am living just before the Grange housing estate, which starts just before you enter the center of Donore (church, Dalys pub etc).

If you are on the Drogheda exchange you will have to call into eircom HQ on your way into town and ask what they will do for you as part of their plans to upgrade Drogheda. As far as I know they are doing nothing in rural areas served by urban exchanges.

If you are on the Drogheda exchange you will have to call into eircom HQ on your way into town and ask what they will do for you as part of their plans to upgrade Drogheda. As far as I know they are doing nothing in rural areas served by urban exchanges.

hi where is this HQ located?

Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

iMuse wrote: »
    Yeah the annoying thing for me is that im 850m by road to a cabinet but less 150m by line of sight, its a pity it didnt come down to line of sight :(

I see they've put a box at the entrance to the glebe aswell so that should be closer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

A file was posted to this thread that I've just had to delete as Eircom told me it was an extremely sensitive internal document.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Dear Eircom,

Less of the paranoia please, get on with rolling out FTTH & FTTC! Your only a few years behind UPC in Ireland, BT in the UK... well your practically behind every single european telecom incumbent to be honest.

Praetorian wrote: »
    Dear Eircom,

Less of the paranoia please, get on with rolling out FTTH & FTTC! Your only a few years behind UPC in Ireland, BT in the UK... well your practically behind every single european telecom incumbent to be honest.

After speaking with eircom mgt , I am now convinced that phase II rollout dates are very optimistic indeed and Drogheda most likely won't see FTTC or FTTH until mid 2013..

I could be wrong but the whole thing seems a bit scattered

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Does anyone know when the Dundrum exchange is going to be finished?

Dundrum is finished as in the eircom version of finished. They will maintain the other lines are too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

Any Updates regarding rollout in the Douglas / frankfield area ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Have any areas gone live in Eircom's Phase 1 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dfdunne

Seems Eircom just installed the Fibre cab at the entrance to Glen Ellan. And this am saw the electrical contractor installing power to it. Wonder when will it be live.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Seeing as how UPC already have up to 100 mbit in the same estate, I wonder if eircom will get many customers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Seeing as how UPC already have up to 100 mbit in the same estate, I wonder if eircom will get many customers...

Would there be any advantage to eircoms service?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Doylers wrote: »
    Would there be any advantage to eircoms service?

Higher upload speed is the only advantage really, Eircoms 50MB and 25MB packages have rubbish caps when compared to UPC. If I had the choice it would be UPC everytime.

Checked a phone number in my estate (can't check my own number as im not with Eircom) and it says the 25/50 mb packages are available when they weren't a few weeks ago so hopefully it won't be too long before its available.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eircom are totally going about this the wrong way, they would gain far more customers to their new products if they launched them in rural locations and small towns across Ireland. I would take their new product up in a heartbeat but unfortunately there is no plans for anything greater than ADSL where I live and most of us in rural locations will be left struggling on 1-6meg connections for years to come. Eircom will not gain many new customers by installing this technology in mainly upc towns and streets trying to compete with a far cheaper and more powerfull competitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Dundrum is finished as in the eircom version of finished. They will maintain the other lines are too long.

I've checked 3 numbers that are all inside the green bits on their map and none of them come up with fibre power being offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Gonzo wrote: »
    Eircom are totally going about this the wrong way, they would gain far more customers to their new products if they launched them in rural locations and small towns across Ireland. I would take their new product up in a heartbeat but unfortunately there is no plans for anything greater than ADSL where I live and most of us in rural locations will be left struggling on 1-6meg connections for years to come. Eircom will not gain many new customers by installing this technology in mainly upc towns and streets trying to compete with a far cheaper and more powerfull competitor.

In fairness Letterkenny is in Phase 1 of the rollout and there is no UPC here so they are targeting some non UPC areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dfdunne

upc phone service is questionable though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

Gonzo, I'd agree. Eircom are trying to move into a market of which UPC have a good share already. Its frustrating to be living in a town of a few hundred people which is only serviced by ADSL1 for the near future. There are plenty of people in the town who would come back to Eircom if even the 25Mb fibre speed was allocated..

Advertisement