Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nobody has seen the list of 45...or if they have they won't say so. :)

10 > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77231754

45 > Largely those not already on the list of 10 but on this list of 67 > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77237244

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 2012IE

arctan wrote: »
    10 previously mentioned are being worked on at the moment, all due to be finished by mid July ...

45 in the advanced planning stage, so work on them should start on them when gangs are finished in their areas, although could be sooner, as NGA teams are still being put together

as for the other 45 ... havent a clue where they are, but I can only presume they'll ones mentioned in that top 100 list spongebob had up somewhere

i heard from someone in the know, that Drogheda would be complete by the end of the year..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

2012IE wrote: »
    i heard from someone in the know, that Drogheda would be complete by the end of the year..

Drogheda has about 6 exchanges ( 1 big and 5 small)...are they gonna do all of them??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Aquila wrote: »
    But what would this Eircom product ofter against UPC and Magnet Fibre?what would make it competitive?

The fact that UPC isn't available within 70 miles of my town and I can only get 3meg speed currently will make it competitive to me. But if you have the choice between the 3, I can't see why anyone would go with eircom over UPC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

Aquila wrote: »
    But what would this Eircom product ofter against UPC and Magnet Fibre?what would make it competitive?

lots ... particularly to people who aren't in a urban bubble who'd be used to having high speed broadband access handy enough...

although majority of Dublin will be targeted first (to be in direct competion with UPC) the infrastructure, cab to house, is already there almost throughout Eircom's network, so its a matter of getting new cabs in and pulling the the fibre and ESB and people will be jumping, in some cases from no broadband, to speeds well above the 5 or 6 megs mark right up to 50 megs to people within say the first 300- 500 m of the cab ...

you also have to remember, even Dublin isn't covered 100% by high speed broadband by both eircom or UPC .... people in these cases will be getting a huge jump in speeds, especially in non UPC covered areas, some people again will be getting broadband who never even had it etc...

as far as I know too, Eircom's 50 meg + VoIP, FTTC package is actually cheaper than their current similar legacy type package by up to 10 euro in some cases, even after the "offer" timeframe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

eircom defaulted on it's payments and is now seeking examinership... i doubt we will see those fibre upgrades under Eircom's banner now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Well, I think you'll be surprised. There assets will go out to different companies etc... UPC will be more than happy to take up some of the lines and hang their cables from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Liamario wrote: »
    Well, I think you'll be surprised. There assets will go out to different companies etc... UPC will be more than happy to take up some of the lines and hang their cables from them.

Why?

Well, I think you'll be surprised. .

I Am.

6841909254_379724c6db_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Well, I think you'll be surprised. There assets will go out to different companies etc... UPC 3 Ireland - the National Broadband Providers will be more than happy to take up some of the lines and hang their cables from them.

fixed that for you!
    Think Vodafone mobile and their landline business...
    Think emobile(Meteor) and their landline business...
    you never know:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

fixed that for you!
    Think Vodafone mobile and their landline business...
    Think emobile(Meteor) and their landline business...
    you never know:p

It's not unheard of for broadband providers to hang their fibre cables out of utility poles. Google do it in Kansas, and some other provider does it in California, and their home broadband is 1gb/s (both Google and California ISP*)

EDIT: *A search is telling me their name is Sonic.NET

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Sure much of the UPC cable network is overhead, clipped to houses

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's very uncommon to see coax cable being deployed directly from wooden poles to houses in Ireland but it does occasionally happen. Clipping it to houses is definitely the most asthetically pleasing without having to dig up streets and I doubt local authorities would want more and more poles going up on streets on top of the eircom and ESB poles that commonly exist.

In the US, they are usually carried on "joint use utility poles" / "joint poles"

Power lines occupy the higher parts of them and telephone and cable operators occupy the lower parts.

Explains all:

http://www.annsgarden.com/poles/poles.htm

While they're practical, they're also hideous looking. I'm sure however, you could add CATV wiring to the existing eircom poles / ducts and you could add fibre to either eircom or ESB overhead without any issue as it's non-conductive.

Course we don't have any of these poles in Ireland, do we???

JP0-Fiber0.jpg

Didn't the government subsidise, Eircom and or ESB to erect poles?

And if so, surely they should have made the poles to other network providers.

That being saying, I don't want to see the craziness of what those multi use poles looklike :eek:

That being saying, I don't want to see the craziness of what those multi use poles looklike :eek:

That last one was a small one, this is what happens when they put one on a corner.

JP0-Indianapolis0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

before you even think about the above solution in Dublin
    have a read of this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056030373

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

My understanding was that they were moving away from overhead lines in the last few years. Even around me in the country alot of lines were put in the ground in the last few years.

I hope Eircom can keep this upgrade on track. UPC are never going to come near my exchange, would never be financially viable for them. I had hoped that the line upgrade would be done by 2013-14 across the country but not holding out much hope for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

Would it be safe to expect eircom would be also rolling out the fibre to apartment blocks in the top 10 listed areas?

Quite a few of them in tallaght.

It would be safe to think they will consider it , especially very close to an exchange ( 1km or less) where they will have spare duct space after pulling copper out.

The management company must invite and facilitate them, if it is controlled by a dodgy builder then no.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That last one was a small one, this is what happens when they put one on a corner.

JP0-Indianapolis0.jpg

No, but we have a huge % of older areas served by overhead ESB low voltage 230/400V wiring and a large % of final drops of eircom lines done from a local pole to houses, even if the distribution lines are now ducted.

I don't see any reason why UPC and others can't share the eircom poles for coax and why eircom, UPC and others can't use ESB poles for fibre. Fibre is non conductive and can be safely run in conjunction or near power lines !

ESB themselves could even do fibre to home without much fuss. Just push it through ducts or clip among poles. They already have fibre on their high voltage transmission networks (major pylon routes).

Virgin did some rollout of fibre using power line poles carrying fibre in small towns in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Typical, I've been waiting for this for ages and only noticed this thread today. I got really excited and went straight on to the Eircom site to check the maps.
    The apartment developments on both sides of me and the housing in front of my development are all purple, mine isn't!
    I'll try give them a ring tomorrow to see why we're not connected but anyone got any ideas? Would it be our management agents refusing access to the Eircom engineers?

I really need the higher speeds for work. Wfh is such a pain in the ass with large files.

s.welstead wrote: »
    Would it be our management agents refusing access to the Eircom engineers?
    Probably, course if you are a tenant they won't talk to you about it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Probably, course if you are a tenant they won't talk to you about it. :(

Management agents don't know why, Eircom and Magnet don't know why. Hmmm great.
    Magnet mentioned some of the units in my block are connected but had no clue if any others would be.
    Hopefully it will just take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Contrarian

eircom Group announced the locations for Phase II of its fibre rollout plan. The announcement follows last year’s commitment by eircom to spend €100 million on Phase 1 of a plan that aims to reach one million premises over the next four years.

Phase II includes thirteen communities in eight counties across the country. Work is expected to commence late this summer and will continue through to the end of 2012.

The communities include:

Shantalla (Galway); Quaker Rd (Cork); Limerick City (Limerick); Rathedmond (Sligo); Ballincollig (Cork); Belcamp, Dun Laoghaire, Rochestown (Dublin); Ennis, (Clare); Drogheda, (Louth); Bray, (Wicklow); Ballina and Castlebar( Mayo).

The locations announced today are in addition to the 14 areas previously announced. Once Phase II is completed, fibre will pass 250,000 homes and businesses within the 27 selected areas, providing speeds of 40 Mbps and beyond. The upgraded infrastructure will largely use fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) technology, but some direct fibre to the home (FTTH) will be used in certain areas.

Commenting on the announcement, Paul Donovan, CEO eircom Group, said “We have committed to providing one million homes and business with fibre in the next three years. Today’s announcement underlines our desire to remain focused on our strategic aim to provide fibre based broadband services for Ireland. By the end of the year more than 250,000 premises will be able to avail of new services on offer.”

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/26583-eircom-reveals-locations/

Do we have a complete list of all phase 2 locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

I have Eircom broadband in Drogheda (well about 5km outside the center of the town); my connection is not great (relatively unstable 3mb), so it would be great if this upgrade benefited me in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Do we have a complete list of all phase 2 locations?

the list is one post above...

Advertisement