Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

zerks wrote: »
    Didn't want to start a new thread but speaking of fibre,it looks like the folks up North are going to be spoiled.

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/belfast-gets-ready-for-superfast-broadband-71644

95% of the North can now receive 5 Meg its a disgrace are broadband is so behind Europe and our Government is doing little or nothing about it. Eircom have been overcharging on their broadband for years.

I pay 32 euro a month plus tax probably another 12 added on for a five year installed DSL service that only provides speeds of 6meg and 312up in this day and age come on. Sick of hearing is commercially not viable to bring fibre to rural areas, but still doesn't stop Eircom charging for its overpriced products does it. Eastern Europe has better internet than us really i am just sick of the politicians and the people who run things in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    95% of the North can now receive 5 Meg its a disgrace are broadband is so behind Europe and our Government is doing little or nothing about it. Eircom have been overcharging on their broadband for years.

I pay 32 euro a month plus tax probably another 12 added on for a five year installed DSL service that only provides speeds of 6meg and 312up in this day and age come on. Sick of hearing is commercially not viable to bring fibre to rural areas, but still doesn't stop Eircom charging for its overpriced products does it. Eastern Europe has better internet than us really i am just sick of the politicians and the people who run things in this country.

I pay about the same for 1Mb in Dublin. 6Km from the nearest exchange. cant even stream youtube. Thats as fast as it will go over the phone line.
    Im going to change to mobile to get higher speed. How pathetic is that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eircom need to get this technology into all dsl exchanges but unfortunately are mainly focusing on areas where there is already very fast broadband available from upc etc, seems bit of a waste. This technology sounds like it would benefit many countryside dsl exchanges where most properties are over 1km from exchange with line speeds of between 512k and 7meg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Cut dole, improve infrastructure. Companies would set up shop here, unemployment would drop. No brainer, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Cut dole, improve infrastructure. Companies would set up shop here, unemployment would drop. No brainer, really.

how would cutting the dole improve a private companies infrastructure?

• Advertisement

kaahooters wrote: »
    how would cutting the dole improve a private companies infrastructure?

I meant it as a plan for the Irish (Republic) government, in relation to government investment in Belfast in infrastructure.

That said, cutting the dole gives more incentive to innovate and encourages entrepreneurship and competition (as people would have a greater urgency to get a job, set up a company), potentially forcing private companies to up their service to keep customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

cut dole
    set up a company

And with what money will these people set their shiny new company up with?

You claim cutting dole will create more urgency in jobseeking. The unemployment figures speak for themselves. There aren't enough jobs. Cutting the dole won't stop career spungers. It only hurts genuine people who have only been jobless for the last year or two.

Social Welfare and Eircom pissing away money are two seperate issues. Don't connect them. We have a shambolic Internet infrastrucure because of poor planning. We had the money in the 90's and 00's and did sod all with it.

I'm going to try this one last time, as its 1:35am, and the nearest thing I have to a keyboard is my phone.

What I originally meant was for the government to decrease expenditure on unemployment benefit, and redirect money saved into infrastructure. Infrastructure being ports, motorways, a cheap, stable power supply, and nets and comms.
    This would firstly create employment in construction and provision, and provide framework for foreign footloose industries, such as pharma, tech and internet technologies to set up, and begin employing people. If anything I said isn't clear, I'll try to clarify in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

The government have met with the EC about receiving funds in a €9bn broadband rollout scheme for Europe so its about time they pulled the finger out and get a proper rollout plan in place. Eircom have been a cancer on Irish telecoms for years with their lack of vision and slow adoption of new technologies compared to other countries.
    The UK have already laid out plans to provide 90% of rural locations with fast broadband so there's no reason Ireland can't do it if we get access to EU funds...

[HTML]http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/24190-ireland-to-tap-eu-9bn-tele[/HTML]

[HTML]http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/aug/16/rural-broadband-boost[/HTML]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

lockup35 wrote: »
    The UK have already laid out plans to provide 90% of rural locations with fast broadband so there's no reason Ireland can't do it if we get access to EU funds...
    That requires that we have a compentent government and minister for communication who has at least read the Dummys guide to internet, too much of a longshot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There's absolutely no way that state money should be directly invested into eircom. It wouldn't make any sense as it would probably end up being wasted on some drawn-out project or sucked up into debt pay downs.

The faster eircom emerges from examinership, or goes bankrupt the better! We need a properly financed, stable major telco, not some financial disaster zone sitting on the network and sweating assets!

I dread the idea that yet another "investment bank" or bunch of speculators will get their hands on the telecoms infrastructure yet again. It's been a disaster everytime this has happened.

We really need to get a large multinational telco to buy eircom and run it as a telco not a speculative plaything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

lockup35 wrote: »

Seems unlikely to me as Rabbitte just comes out with the same crap as Ryan came out with, in other words he's gone native and been "captured" by officials in the DECNR.

So (no) business as usual, making excuses and talking about satellite and mobile as the answer to questions nobody asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Would someone be willing to post speed tests and ping tests on their newly installed FTTC & FTTH products?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Praetorian wrote: »
    Would someone be willing to post speed tests and ping tests on their newly installed FTTC & FTTH products?

From the Speedtest thread, theres a few more if you look through it. I know its magnet FTTH but im sure you can expect the same on eircom.

200712.jpg

Does anyone know how much lower pings with FTTC should be in comparison to traditional DSL at 3+ KM from the exchange.

iMuse wrote: »
    From the Speedtest thread, theres a few more if you look through it. I know its magnet FTTH but im sure you can expect the same on eircom.

200712.jpg

Does anyone know how much lower pings with FTTC should be in comparison to traditional DSL at 3+ KM from the exchange.

Thanks iMuse for that. So that is a FTTH product. Could someone post FTTC figures as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mickyoc85

I wonder what areas will be inclusive in Phase 3????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

Is there anywhere that you can get a map of where Eircoms cabinets are located?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Kaner2004 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere that you can get a map of where Eircoms cabinets are located?

haha that's a state secret, technically we don't even know where the exchanges are

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Reference-Offers/

click on coverage maps, then click the broadband tick box, and you can then zoom in and see where most of the exchanges are. Map seems to be accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Praetorian wrote: »
    http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Reference-Offers/

click on coverage maps, then click the broadband tick box, and you can then zoom in and see where most of the exchanges are. Map seems to be accurate.

That just shows the exchanges though. The poster above you is looking for the location of cabinets

Hogzy wrote: »
    That just shows the exchanges though. The poster above you is looking for the location of cabinets

I was just replying to "technically we don't even know where the exchanges are "

Regarding the cabinets, sure they are everywhere :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They are painted dark green, the fibred cabs are going beside them....and elsewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

KN networks been doing the ground work for the cabinets in Letterkenny all week.

heres the magherenan one.

IMAG0179.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

Boxes have sprung up all over letterkenny last few days, smaller than I was expecting, so end of may mightnt of been too far off for it going live?

box1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Does anybody have any reliable info on what equipment (make, model) is provided in both cases, i.e. FTTH and FTTC, and how is the phone connection realized i.e. for FTTC is it a normal connection like with ADSL, or is it via some kind of VOIP setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

On their map it says Fibre powered is available 'to the box' at the dundrum exchange, yet when I ring them its not? :S

AdamD wrote: »
    On their map it says Fibre powered is available 'to the box' at the dundrum exchange, yet when I ring them its not? :S

How far are you from your nearest cabinet (green box in the pic above)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

iMuse wrote: »
    How far are you from your nearest cabinet (green box in the pic above)

No idea, how would I find this out?

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    No idea, how would I find this out?

Google street view? There is no map of cabinets

Advertisement