Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I drove down that road in loughshinny all the way to the harbour and this only one I could see is the box in your link. Am I right in saying this is not a fiber cabinet?

That's just a normal distribution cabinet. There's nothing in that other than connector blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Mickalus wrote: »
    I think the bigger question is when will they go live in general. They've completed a lot of areas so far but are waiting for a big launch.
    Last date I heard on the grapevine was "Sometime in April"..... Anyone know any different?

MAY 20TH at the earliest. Comreg will not allow launch before this date.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

MAY 20TH at the earliest. Comreg will not allow launch before this date.

Balls! do you know why that is?

Balls! do you know why that is?

The other operators wanted time to make sure their networks, sales and other IT systems are working correctly with this new wholesale product as otherwise they think it will give eircom retail an unfair advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Solair wrote: »
    The other operators wanted time to make sure their networks, sales and other IT systems are working correctly with this new wholesale product as otherwise they think it will give eircom retail an unfair advantage

OK, that makes sense. Cheers.

You'd think they'd have had enough time at this stage :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You'd think they'd have had enough time at this stage :D

eircoms systems and procedures were not ready for prime time is why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I see one up on the same side as the IPA (Landsdowne Road) where it had the planning app. Maybe that and Beggars Bush are all delayed. :S

53.33386,-6.231826

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

seen another one on the banduff road (near the north ring road cork). Seem to be popping up in the north cork area a lot now. None near glanmire or further east where I need them :)

Apologies to all those looking for updates and only finding updates to "where's the cab" (perhaps this stuff should be put on a seperate thread).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 ian82

IMG_4103-001.JPG

should answer a few questions :)

ian82 wrote: »
    IMG_4103-001.JPG

I'll still be "queueing for internet connection" where I am. What eejit in eircom marketing allowed this ad to get to print, "real life simpler" me arse. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

[MOD]
    Can folks please post all future mapping related posts in this new thread created specifically for mapping by Sponge Bob and which I have stickied here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919149

Please keep this thread for posts about the launch date, product details, etc.

Thanks Sponge Bob and everyone else who has participated in the mapping, a great effort.
    [MOD]

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I'll still be "queueing for internet connection" where I am. What eejit in eircom marketing allowed this ad to get to print, "real life simpler" me arse. :D

Queuing for the internet? That doesn't even make any sense...

I'd rather they showed something like a Smart TV or Skype pixelating and freezing on regular broadband or VoIP choking up.
    Or a software update for your PS3 taking 2 hours :D

They're really not getting the concept of bandwidth across at all!
    Queuing for the internet would imply that you've on PC in the house and no WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyone hear anything back from the efibre site after they regsitered their interest.

ian82 wrote: »
    IMG_4103-001.JPG

Shooting themselves in the foot with that one, basically saying what customers have right now is rubbish...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Shooting themselves in the foot with that one, basically saying what customers have right now is rubbish...

when it comes to your area. i.e. most people with ****ty broadband in Ireland will be waiting years yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

When they say "On may 20th homes all over Ireland will begin to change for the better thanks to efiber"
    Does that mean, that everyone/every address is gonna have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    When they say "On may 20th homes all over Ireland will begin to change for the better thanks to efiber"
    Does that mean, that everyone/every address is gonna have it?

god no...only the major urban exchanges

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

bealtine wrote: »
    god no...only the major urban exchanges

Well, then there goes my f***ing hope... I guess i'm stuck with the ****ty 8mb package for the rest of my life :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    Well, then there goes my f***ing hope... I guess i'm stuck with the ****ty 8mb package for the rest of my life :(

There was a map of the various areas to be "enabled" posted way back in the thread, at some stage soon the mapping project will be available (publicly) which will show in which areas this VDSL program is available.

This efibre stuff is just marketing crap and utter nonsense

If you are on up to 8mbits ONLY that means you probaly have no NGB either.

If you have no NGB by now you will not normally get VDSL although there are a few exceptions where very small Non NGB exchanges are going straight to VDSL and bypassing NGB in Ennis, Dublin, Tralee, Cork and Arklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If you are on up to 8mbits ONLY that means you probaly have no NGB either.

If you have no NGB by now you will not normally get VDSL although there are a few exceptions where very small Non NGB exchanges are going straight to VDSL and bypassing NGB in Ennis, Dublin, Tralee, Cork and Arklow.

What about people who aren't even on NGB yet and the government want everyone to be on a minimum of 30mpbs no matter where you are in the country by whatever year it is. whats the story with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Nolars wrote: »
    What about people who aren't even on NGB yet and the government want everyone to be on a minimum of 30mpbs no matter where you are in the country by whatever year it is. whats the story with that?

Fixed Wireless / Satellite / 4G I presume will be the way everyone will get 30mpbs .

Nolars wrote: »

The story with that is that Rabbitte is waiting for a hail mary pass from the (so far) rather quiet ESB fibre rollout plan (to be announced in the Autumn I would say) and which will see the ESB fibre up some homes in smaller towns and villages that will not get VDSL or UPC cable.

Those who can neither get VDSL or ESB FTTP or UPC will be the households to be covered by the second NBS.

The Department of Communications has no competent staff, they had to use interns to 'design' the NBS from what I remember so don't expect much of Rabbitte. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MikeSat

With Eircoms new fiber system will our home phone hand sets work with a fiber connection.?

MikeSat wrote: »
    With Eircoms new fiber system will our home phone hand sets work with a fiber connection.?

From what I've read yes, as there will be a double connection where your current one resides. One part for fibre and one part for the landline.

The modem is like the one's BT use for infinity and the engineer can run a cable to wherever you want the modem to be. (included in the free installation as far as I'm aware)

However, fibre eliminates the need for a landline and I reckon in a few years it will all be VOIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

From what I've read yes, as there will be a double connection where your current one resides. One part for fibre and one part for the landline.

The modem is like the one's BT use for infinity and the engineer can run a cable to wherever you want the modem to be. (included in the free installation as far as I'm aware)

However, fibre eliminates the need for a landline and I reckon in a few years it will all be VOIP.

We've got two handsets - regular and VOIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

hi,

i see a nearby exchange from me (monaghan town - probably the post office) is being upgrade or is upgraded. What kind of new services will be on offer ? Will other companies (like Sky) have access to the new exchange ?

aindriu80 wrote: »
    hi,

i see a nearby exchange from me (monaghan town - probably the post office) is being upgrade or is upgraded. What kind of new services will be on offer ? Will other companies (like Sky) have access to the new exchange ?

Yes, they will.
    Mostly just much faster broadband and possibly IPTV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere - but is there a link to the packages that will be offered? I'd like to know what the upload speed are going to be like.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Solair wrote: »
    Yes, they will.
    Mostly just much faster broadband and possibly IPTV

I will look forward to that. In the mean time if they could sort out congestion I would be happy with current speeds.

Advertisement