Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    some will have VDSL plus POTS phone service and some will have naked VDSL and will be forced to use VoIP , some modems will allow a standard phone to work for VoIP services if your OLD NUMBER is ported to a VoIP outfit like Blueface ......... and in other cases you need an ATA to adapt the standard phone to VoIP.

So in other words Craig...it depends. :)

Yeah, I can see that we'd need something like an ATA, due the fact that we've had the house number for years and we also have the VoIP service.

Looking at an old thread on Boards about Line Attenuation, I noticed we're on the 45db spectrum eventhough I remember we got about 25db on an older router or could I be imagining that? :D

Attenuation.............Approximate Line Length............Potential Connection Speed
    32db...................................2.3km.....................................16000kbps
    35db...................................2.5km.....................................14500kbps
    40db...................................2.9km.....................................11800kbps
    45db...................................3.2km.......................................8500kbps
    50db...................................3.6km.......................................6500kbps
    55db...................................4.0km.......................................4500kbps
    60db...................................4.3km.......................................3200kbps
    65db...................................4.7km.......................................2000kbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They might chance their arm with self install too. This is what they've done to date.

They probably should send a technician out to do the installation though because there are a lot of Irish homes that don't have an NTU or any easy way of doing a central splitter.

The socket that is compatible with the modular faceplates that eircom use was only introduced in the 2000s, before that there was a standard beige Siemens manufactured socket used.

I know we'd extensions installed by Telecom Eireann which all come from a central junction box in the attic. They're in a star configuration and every socket was a TE branded one.

I'd say there are various eras if installations and electrician/developer or DIY messes all over the country.

For VDSL2 to work reliably they'd really want to consider installing central filters/splitters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Anyone know how I can improve my noise margin? I should be able to get around 17 Mb or 18 Mb, but my noise margin will drop if Sky try to force anymore speed down the line. It's around 8 db with my Eircom-supplied Zyxel router and it's around 6 db with my Sky hub.

Could a dodgy telephone socket cause bad noise margin?

Here's my phone socket. As you can see, it has seen better days. I can't even clean around it in case it breaks off:

22mj5l.jpg

2nr2g55.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Anyone know how I can improve my noise margin?

Well that is eircom's responsibility, their responsibility is up to and including the master socket, so the first port of call is eircom. If that is an extension that's your problem...

Failing getting anywhere with eircom (and it's a master socket) you could buy a socket in any good electrical store or maybe a DIY shop but beware of cheap crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Solair wrote: »
    They might chance their arm with self install too. This is what they've done to date.

They probably should send a technician out to do the installation though because there are a lot of Irish homes that don't have an NTU or any easy way of doing a central splitter.

The socket that is compatible with the modular faceplates that eircom use was only introduced in the 2000s, before that there was a standard beige Siemens manufactured socket used.

I know we'd extensions installed by Telecom Eireann which all come from a central junction box in the attic. They're in a star configuration and every socket was a TE branded one.

I'd say there are various eras if installations and electrician/developer or DIY messes all over the country.

For VDSL2 to work reliably they'd really want to consider installing central filters/splitters.

They will be doing an install for every fibre upgrade/new connection. I know an engineer and that's what he has said to me when I asked.

In response to whoever asked about the modem being free, I think it is on an upgrade from ADSL as it says on their efibre website.

• Advertisement

They will be doing an install for every fibre upgrade/new connection. I know an engineer and that's what he has said to me when I asked.

Please stop calling it a "fibre install" it's not fibre at all... it's a VDSL install which is still copper

bealtine wrote: »
    Please stop calling it a "fibre install" it's not fibre at all... it's a VDSL install which is still copper

Ah, sure you know what he means ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

bealtine wrote: »

It's FTTC, there's still fibre there, so I will call it fibre anyway. I haven't called it a fibre install, I'm saying there's an engineer needed for an installation for every upgrade or new connection as they are replacing exisiting sockets.

I'm fully aware there's still copper to the home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It's FTTC, there's still fibre there, so I will call it fibre anyway.

It was fibre 20 years ago...just not near your gaff. :)

It's FTTC, there's still fibre there, so I will call it fibre anyway. I haven't called it a fibre install, I'm saying there's an engineer needed for an installation for every upgrade or new connection as they are replacing exisiting sockets.

I'm fully aware there's still copper to the home.

So, I'll get my socket replaced if I switch back to Eircom when they upgrade to fiber in my area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭irishgeo

So, I'll get my socket replaced if I switch back to Eircom when they upgrade to fiber in my area?

you wont need to switch all the other operators will be selling it too.

i got a eircom phone watch alarm i had to pay the alarm guy had to in a dsl filter for the alarm .

irishgeo wrote: »
    you wont need to switch all the other operators will be selling it too.

i got a eircom phone watch alarm i had to pay the alarm guy had to in a dsl filter for the alarm .

Actually, I was thinking of getting Eircom Phonewatch perhaps this Christmas, could I get a new socket then even though I plan on sticking with Sky at least until April/May 2014?

Oh, does anyone know what happened to dldropbox.com? It was the map of all the exchanges in Ireland. The page 404'd when I looked at it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39502907/query21Public.html

Actually, I was thinking of getting Eircom Phonewatch perhaps this Christmas, could I get a new socket then even though I plan on sticking with Sky at least until April/May 2014?

It won't make any difference to PhoneWatch's installation at all.
    It's just ADSL, they'll install a central splitter/socket.

Solair wrote: »
    It won't make any difference to PhoneWatch's installation at all.
    It's just ADSL, they'll install a central splitter/socket.

But could the technicians replace the socket in my picture above?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

But could the technicians replace the socket in my picture above?

They could, but they wont. You'll have to argue with them to do it and then they'll be looking for money. Even harder if Eircom arent your isp.

MMAGirl wrote: »
    They could, but they wont. You'll have to argue with them to do it and then they'll be looking for money. Even harder if Eircom arent your isp.

Paying them was already implied. I don't expect Eircom to do their customers any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Paying them was already implied. I don't expect Eircom to do their customers any favours.

Now you have to convince them to actually take the money and do the job too.

I've argued this a few times and won, worth a try

"So Eircom, you gonna give us FREE installation and a router!"

"So Eircom, you gonna give us FREE installation and a router!"

tumblr_l550530Ob01qcb95go1_500.jpg

• Advertisement

Anyone know how I can improve my noise margin? I should be able to get around 17 Mb or 18 Mb, but my noise margin will drop if Sky try to force anymore speed down the line. It's around 8 db with my Eircom-supplied Zyxel router and it's around 6 db with my Sky hub.

Could a dodgy telephone socket cause bad noise margin?

Here's my phone socket. As you can see, it has seen better days. I can't even clean around it in case it breaks off:

Hmm.. eircom/TE definitely didn't install that one :eek:

You could order up a splitter / NTU phone socket online:

http://www.kedingtondistribution.ie/index.php/structured-cabling/pressac-dsl-filters/pressac-adsl-centralised-filter.html

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Is there any word on how will Eircom do the TV Service?

Will it be IPTV, so you will need a IPTV receiver?

RogerThis wrote: »
    Is there any word on how will Eircom do the TV Service?

Will it be IPTV, so you will need a IPTV receiver?

I would assume they'd have a set top box. That's how it's done by other eircom-type companies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

Harry , contact your isp and report the lack of an eircom ntu and the existing rj 45 socket as being faulty,if the socket in your photo is an extn , as bealtine pointed out , it' up to you to resolve.
    Migration / upgrade's and new install's for vdsl are free afaik by eircom , other companies may differ .
    we will be doing a complete new install for upgrade's and new customer's , also we will be resolving all cpe issue's , be it line or broadband for all isp/olo's that are eircom wholesale cust's.
    As solair pointed out it will be a set top box , working of a iptv platform hth's.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Well I submitted a fault to Eircom about a crackle on the phone line in a house I'm renting for college but it turned out to be a crappy phone to blame,
    asked the technician if he would fix the busted wall outlet (strewn across the floor, was amazed DSL worked) and he did it no bother.

Come to think of it I'm amazed he did considering how much I pestered him for info on the FTTC! :pac: (To no avail other than "they were busy with it..")

Harry , contact your isp and report the lack of an eircom ntu and the existing rj 45 socket as being faulty,if the socket in your photo is an extn , as bealtine pointed out , it' up to you to resolve.
    Migration / upgrade's and new install's for vdsl are free afaik by eircom , other companies may differ .
    we will be doing a complete new install for upgrade's and new customer's , also we will be resolving all cpe issue's , be it line or broadband for all isp/olo's that are eircom wholesale cust's.
    As solair pointed out it will be a set top box , working of a iptv platform hth's.

You haven't heard anything about work to be done in Greystones, ave ya? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

I'm under 300 meters away from one of these:

oh0e21.jpg

What sort of speeds am I likely to get?

Manc Red wrote: »
    I'm under 300 meters away from one of these:

oh0e21.jpg

What sort of speeds am I likely to get?

Is that Bray?

A rough estimation:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html

I think Eircom has a better chart.

Check out pages 41 and 42. The high stability would be for IPTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

red_bairn wrote: »
    Is that Bray?

A rough estimation:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html

I think Eircom has a better chart.

Check out pages 41 and 42. The high stability would be for IPTV.

I don't know. It's just a pic I got from google image search.

Really? A 50% speed drop from being just under 300 meters away? How can they even advertise the 70Mbps speed if you need to be within 100-200 meters from it?

It kinda puts it into perspective that we are only starting to get proper FTTC (70-150Mbps) speed in 2013 when in the US, cities are starting to get 1Gbps from Google for pretty reasonable prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Manc Red wrote: »
    It kinda puts it into perspective that we are only starting to get proper FTTC speed in 2013 when in the US, cities are starting to get 1Gbps from Google for really low prices.

I don't know why we're comparing ourselves to America. There's plenty of places closer to home which are enjoying an immensely faster average broadband speed.

Apart from Google Fibre, which is a great initiative, there's big portions of broadband consuming Americans who are under the yoke of the cable cartel, are given terrible service (in relation to what they pay) and are being treated with the kind of disdain that American mega corporations do so well and would make Eircom's antics seem quaint. 'Til now the big ISPs over there have had little reason to improve due to a lack of competition.

Advertisement