Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I will look forward to that. In the mean time if they could sort out congestion I would be happy with current speeds.

If you're suffering from congestion, you could be either on a really bad package with very high contention, or you're in an area that doesn't have a connection to the "next generation network" (NGN) backbone yet.

If it's being upgraded to fibre access, your local exchange would typically be on NGN already. The only exceptions would be some tiny exchanges (e.g. ones based in cabinets themselves) that were never plugged into decent backhaul even though the rest of the area is.

Even if you're not going to fibre straight away, you should probably look at being upgraded to an NGN package or switching to another ISP that offers something similar, most of them do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

From what I've read yes, as there will be a double connection where your current one resides. One part for fibre and one part for the landline.

Um there's no fibre going to the home, except in some very small geographic areas, it's still copper from the cabinet to the home(FTTC)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The story with that is that Rabbitte is waiting for a hail mary pass from the (so far) rather quiet ESB fibre rollout plan (to be announced in the Autumn I would say) and which will see the ESB fibre up some homes in smaller towns and villages that will not get VDSL or UPC cable.

Those who can neither get VDSL or ESB FTTP or UPC will be the households to be covered by the second NBS.

The Department of Communications has no competent staff, they had to use interns to 'design' the NBS from what I remember so don't expect much of Rabbitte. :(
    So, just to confirm this...the ESB's fibre rollout will be covering homes that do not currently have a DSL or fibre connection in country/village areas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

So, just to confirm this...the ESB's fibre rollout will be covering homes that do not currently have a DSL or fibre connection in country/village areas?

If you take small towns like Athenry or Mountmellick or Nenagh they will probably show up in places like those. As for more rural areas and a crossroads of a village with one pub and one shop and a 2 teacher school, I dunno, honestly.

They probably won't show up where both of UPC and eircom VDSL both launch anyway. We will know a lot more when we know who they have selected for final Joint Venture negotiations, which information should slip out in the next few months.

The ESB network will not be very extensive, no more than 1 in 4 homes I would estimate based on the outline finance numbers they published.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

I live in co. Meath and I'm with digiweb, my Internet breaks whenever the landline phone rings. It also is very inconsistent as when I'm playing cod I'm either on a 3 bar or a 1 bar and it keeps going up an down. I hate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

If you take small towns like Athenry or Mountmellick or Nenagh they will probably show up in places like those. As for more rural areas and a crossroads of a village with one pub and one shop and a 2 teacher school, I dunno, honestly.

They probably won't show up where both of UPC and eircom VDSL both launch anyway. We will know a lot more when we know who they have selected for final Joint Venture negotiations, which information should slip out in the next few months.

The ESB network will not be very extensive, no more than 1 in 4 homes I would estimate based on the outline finance numbers they published.

Do you know what the story is with primary schools and secondary schools are sponge, as the the government want to provide 100mbs to all of them in the next year or so? i live next to both a primary school and secondary school and am just hoping they will upgrade my area.

From what I've read yes, as there will be a double connection where your current one resides. One part for fibre and one part for the landline.

The modem is like the one's BT use for infinity and the engineer can run a cable to wherever you want the modem to be. (included in the free installation as far as I'm aware)

However, fibre eliminates the need for a landline and I reckon in a few years it will all be VOIP.

It's just a central splitter / filter on the master socket.

Eircom already install a very similar device for DSL when there's an engineer install. For example, phonewatch alarm installations.

It's all still just DSL, just a faster version.

There's still a copper telephone line coming into your house exactly as its always been.

It's not fibre in the sense of fibre to the home,

BT (and plenty of others) will try to dress VDSL up as fibre in the marketing and presentation of the product. It's still a copper product.

It's more fibre closer to your home and dramatically better than ADSL but its still copper!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Solair wrote: »

Eircom already install a very similar device for DSL when there's an engineer install. For example, phonewatch alarm installations.

There's still a copper telephone line coming into your house exactly as its always been.

BT (and plenty of others) will try to dress VDSL up as fibre in the marketing and presentation of the product. It's still a copper product.

So when the Eircom engineer comes to the house, are they just installing a new router or...anything extra? A faceplate for those who don't have one?

red_bairn wrote: »
    So when the Eircom engineer comes to the house, are they just installing a new router or...anything extra? A faceplate for those who don't have one?

Yup, basically that's all they'll do.
    That's all BT are doing too unless you're actually getting fibre installed into your home, which is only a very small % of installations in the UK, it's still mostly VDSL for "infinity"

Eircom's responsibility ends at the NTU (network termination unit) or "master socket" in BT language.

The only difference to ADSL is that you normally must use the modem they supply. You can use whatever wifi routers etc that you like though.

The modem has to be compatible with the vectoring (active crosstalk management) system they use.

Nolars wrote: »
    i live next to both a primary school and secondary school and am just hoping they will upgrade my area.

Secondary only. The problem with these is that many connections to secondary schools are point to point wireless 155mbit STM-1 from Airspeed or similar and their prices would give you a heart attack. Once the links are installed and provisioning 100mbits to the school itself there is only 55mbits 'spare' on that link at that point anyway. :)

eircom are not really in the game on this project but theoretically it may drive some extra fibre and NGB deployments over the next year in order that they may offer Ethernet over fibre product to schools.

In that case a rural community would get better backhaul for their ADSL which could make a substantial difference. There are areas in Ireland wher ethe secondary school has 3x the bandwidth of the entire parish such is the utter crapness of much of eircoms backhaul. :(

• Advertisement

Yup, basically that's all they'll do.
    That's all BT are doing too unless you're actually getting fibre installed into your home, which is only a very small % of installations in the UK, it's still mostly VDSL for "infinity"

How come Northern Ireland has a massive amount on fibre and not in England, Scotland or Wales? Has it got to do with the geography?

How come Northern Ireland has a massive amount on fibre and not in England, Scotland or Wales? Has it got to do with the geography?

It was heavily state funded in NI.

Eircom in the Republic and BT in Britain don't get state aid on that scale although the British government has certainly put some public funds into it.

Just be aware though that FTTC is usually branded as "fibre" by BT so, it's quite likely mostly VDSL2 up north too other than in a few locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭dubmick

In today's Sunday Independent..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

dubmick wrote: »
    In today's Sunday Independent..

8 times faster.....than what?

7upfree wrote: »

8 times faster than the "average" d/l speed... :pac:

8 times faster than typical fast ADSL.
    It can deliver 70-80Mbit/s and then 100mbits when vectoring is switched on.

Most ADSL lines deliver around 8 to 10mbit/s speeds of 10 to 24mbits are actually not very achievable on a lot of lines once you get a little bit further from the exchange.

VDSL2 might actually make a more dramatic impact in Ireland than in some other places as we've a lot of low density urban housing. This should knock several km off quite a lot of urban lines and see speed and stability improvements that are real and genuine improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

If you're suffering from congestion, you could be either on a really bad package with very high contention, or you're in an area that doesn't have a connection to the "next generation network" (NGN) backbone yet.

If it's being upgraded to fibre access, your local exchange would typically be on NGN already. The only exceptions would be some tiny exchanges (e.g. ones based in cabinets themselves) that were never plugged into decent backhaul even though the rest of the area is.

Even if you're not going to fibre straight away, you should probably look at being upgraded to an NGN package or switching to another ISP that offers something similar, most of them do.

I can't make head nor tail of it. Im in Monaghan town near the post office and I think its NGN as I was with Eircom before and the speeds were usually a constant 6Mb (8Mb on the adverts).

On exact same line I get speeds from 0.20Mb to 17.5Mb with Sky, its just usually the former on weekends and week nights 6pm - midnight.

I can't believe Sky, if this is the final product they are selling I have no option but to try and jump ship (back to the 8mb Eircom or maybe Vodafone).

A chart showing my up and down speeds.
    http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=4b143edb23ade63aaca1781ce382bc67&ria=0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

As for more rural areas and a crossroads of a village with one pub and one shop and a 2 teacher school, I dunno, honestly.
    That's effectively my community, except the shop is closed down and the pub is only open at weekends.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I can't make head nor tail of it. Im in Monaghan town near the post office and I think its NGN as I was with Eircom before and the speeds were usually a constant 6Mb (8Mb on the adverts).

On exact same line I get speeds from 0.20Mb to 17.5Mb with Sky, its just usually the former on weekends and week nights 6pm - midnight.

I can't believe Sky, if this is the final product they are selling I have no option but to try and jump ship (back to the 8mb Eircom or maybe Vodafone).

A chart showing my up and down speeds.
    http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=4b143edb23ade63aaca1781ce382bc67&ria=0

That looks like lack of backhaul on Sky's network.
    It sounds like you were on a legacy ADSL up to 8mbit/s product with eircom.

Sky (and others) use eircom's access networks but they provide their own core networks and backhaul.

That's effectively my community, except the shop is closed down and the pub is only open at weekends.

Below is the outline ESB proposal . FTTP/FTTB/FTTH are the same thing, to the premises/building/home.

If your parish is too dispersed you must fund the gap. My reading of the JV proposal is that they intend to pick off semi urban (EG boreeens neer towns with 20 bungalows in a row) as well as urban semi and at a cost of around €1000 per premises but no more than that.

They look like they will cover c.300-400k premises in their plan, c. 1 in 5 nationwide at most.

Once you get into more rural areas you have to run more fibre metres for each premises covered. If they were EG doing Thurles and the immediate hinterland they may be amenable to going a few miles further out for €500 per premises and a few miles further agin for €1000 per premises.

Here is what i mean.

EG New Ross > http://goo.gl/maps/FKgmj
    Just outside New Ross but packed together > http://goo.gl/maps/P6zg8

YOUR problem is funding that. It is called Gap Funding where the gap between economic and non economic is perhaps €500 per premises.

You may find your local credit union is a great help with it etc but they are not running a fibre to your house only I'd say...they need a community buy in on a large scale. :)

This is the original ESB description of their plan for a Joint Venture.
    It is anticipated that the Project may proceed in a number of phases. Phase 1 is expected to roll out the
    FTTB network on a multi-year basis, focussing on urban and semi-urban conurbations outside of
    Dublin city. ESB will provide JVCo with such access to its electricity infrastructure as is required for
    this phase of the Project (and for subsequent phases, if carried out). In the deployment of the FTTB
    network, this electricity infrastructure will be utilised where and to the extent it is practical to do so. It
    is envisaged that this utilisation will involve elements such as the overhead network, the
    underground ducted network and the electricity network sub-station compounds. There is the
    potential for expansion of the FTTB network in subsequent phases to non-urban areas and/or Dublin
    city (although interested parties should note that there is no guarantee in this regard).
    It is currently envisaged that the FTTB network will consist of an aggregation network and an access
    layer and that it will be optical end-to-end from the Central Office (CO) through to the Optical
    Network Terminal (ONT) at the individual end user premises. The FTTB network will be built to
    carrier class standards using the latest and best technology available. It is envisaged that both Point to
    Point and Passive Optical Network (PON) technologies will be applied in the FTTB network.
    It is currently anticipated that in addition to building the FTTB network, JVCo will maintain and
    operate the passive and active components of the FTTB network. This will include (but may not be
    limited to) the establishment and use of the relevant IT systems to manage the network and to
    interface with customers of JVCo.
    On terms to be agreed, ESB may provide certain IT systems/licences, installation services,
    maintenance and repair services, and other services to JVCo in relation to the FTTB network. JVCo
    may provide infrastructure access and services to ESB or its subsidiaries to facilitate the development
    of the electricity infrastructure.
    With regard to the contractual/commercial structure, it is currently envisaged that the successful joint
    venture partner(s) will obtain a shareholding in JVCo anticipated to be up to 50% and will be required
    to enter into appropriate documentation in relation thereto, which may include (but not be limited to)
    a joint venture agreement. The structure of the transaction will be subject to appropriate legal,
    financial and taxation due diligence and will be subject to discussion and agreement with those
    parties selected as potential joint venture partners.
    Further details on the likely terms for these agreements and the proposed legal framework will be
    provided to those Candidates who are successful in being shortlisted to make proposals to ESB.
    As envisaged, the Project will incur capital expenditure in excess of €300m in deploying the FTTB
    network
    , and in this regard, the joint venture partner(s) will be expected to make a significant
    contribution to the joint venture which may include one or more of the following elements: a cash
    payment for the purchase of an interest in JVCo, an equity or other financial investment in JVCo,
    provision of relevant expertise or assets to JVCo, and/or guaranteed levels of wholesale purchases by
    the selected partner(s) or associate companies from the joint venture through the open access
    arrangements outlined above.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

8 times faster than the "average" d/l speed... :pac:

Ah right. But what is the "average"?:confused:

8 times faster than typical fast ADSL.
    It can deliver 70-80Mbit/s and then 100mbits when vectoring is switched on.

Most ADSL lines deliver around 8 to 10mbit/s speeds of 10 to 24mbits are actually not very achievable on a lot of lines once you get a little bit further from the exchange.

VDSL2 might actually make a more dramatic impact in Ireland than in some other places as we've a lot of low density urban housing. This should knock several km off quite a lot of urban lines and see speed and stability improvements that are real and genuine improvements.
    Ah right. But what is the "average"?:confused:

I was taking the piss. The average would probably be quite poor. Solair stated above what it might be based on.

average eircom speeds nationally are around 4.5mbits.

average eircom speeds nationally are around 4.5mbits.

I would have thought that I would have been closer to 2-3. We're on 5.4 (600m from the cabinet).

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Below is the outline ESB proposal . FTTP/FTTB/FTTH are the same thing, to the premises/building/home.

If your parish is too dispersed you must fund the gap. My reading of the JV proposal is that they intend to pick off semi urban (EG boreeens neer towns with 20 bungalows in a row) as well as urban semi and at a cost of around €1000 per premises but no more than that.

They look like they will cover c.300-400k premises in their plan, c. 1 in 5 nationwide at most.

Once you get into more rural areas you have to run more fibre metres for each premises covered. If they were EG doing Thurles and the immediate hinterland they may be amenable to going a few miles further out for €500 per premises and a few miles further agin for €1000 per premises.

Here is what i mean.

EG New Ross > http://goo.gl/maps/FKgmj
    Just outside New Ross but packed together > http://goo.gl/maps/P6zg8

YOUR problem is funding that. It is called Gap Funding where the gap between economic and non economic is perhaps €500 per premises.

You may find your local credit union is a great help with it etc but they are not running a fibre to your house only I'd say...they need a community buy in on a large scale. :)

This is the original ESB description of their plan for a Joint Venture.

HTH

I would gladly pay €1000 to connect fibre to my house.
    Twice that even.

MMAGirl wrote: »
    I would gladly pay €1000 to connect fibre to my house.
    Twice that even.

But your neighbours might only pay €200. If you are near a New Ross Mountmellick Nenagh kind of place then talk to the ESB. Get a map of the overhead network from the town to your house and see how many houses are near it and talk to the neighbours about BB ....see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

It's more fibre closer to your home and dramatically better than ADSL but its still copper!

Sorry should've made my post a bit clearer. I wasn't saying it's a FTTH connection. However they are going with the same process as infinity where there's a central modem and then a hub. (AFAIK) These will be brought to houses by the engineer I think.

Sorry should've made my post a bit clearer. I wasn't saying it's a FTTH connection. However they are going with the same process as infinity where there's a central modem and then a hub. (AFAIK) These will be brought to houses by the engineer I think.

So if they are saying we conenct for "free", are they including the cost of the router or any equipment that they install? :)

some will have VDSL plus POTS phone service and some will have naked VDSL and will be forced to use VoIP , some modems will allow a standard phone to work for VoIP services if your OLD NUMBER is ported to a VoIP outfit like Blueface ......... and in other cases you need an ATA to adapt the standard phone to VoIP.

So in other words Craig...it depends. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

donal.hunt wrote: »
    WSEA = Wholesale Symmetrical Ethernet Access
    WEIL = Wholesale Ethernet Interconnect Link

APT appears to be a type of Eircom node that will just connect into the NGB exchanges. According to ComReg these will not allow for interconnects with other operators.

BMB seems to refer to broadband (e.g. DSL).

Anyone know what an APT Node actually is? I see my exchange is enabled for it. And sits directly on the fibre backbone - I assume that will make no difference to the rollout?

Advertisement