Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

jspuds wrote: »
    Spotted one today in Kilcoole Co. Wicklow which surprised me, will update the map later on

You need to take a photograph of it, because somebody said this already and he never put up a photograph. It could be a ADSL cabinet. Check my sig below.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

No wonder I didn't see this cabinet until I walked right by it earlier today. Did someone mention "hidden in the bushes"?

:)

Sponge, cabinet found at Balbriggan - Moylaragh crescent. added to map.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

I keep coming in here looking for updates on when and what FTTC products will be offered. This has become the "map a cabinet" thread though. Pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

MMAGirl wrote: »
    I keep coming in here looking for updates on when and what FTTC products will be offered. This has become the "map a cabinet" thread though. Pity.

Knowing where your cabinet is, is essential to figuring out what speeds are available to you.

Don't expect to find out what FTTC products are available anytime soon because 20th of May is the earliest fiber will be lunched.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nothing happening before the 20th of May. As FTTC products are highly distance dependent being 500m plus from a cabinet reduces your options considerably so we are busying ourselves mapping them all in time for launch date and so far we are on schedule. :)

Meanwhile , bumf and missing map here > http://www.eircom.net/efibre/ :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

People are doing their very best to pull all the information they can together here. This thread isn't some kind of official eircom press office, it's just a bunch of people trying to pool their knowledge.

Eircom haven't really released any information on retail pricing or product specifications yet.

They have a forum on the "talk to" section of boards.ie if you want to talk to their customer relations team about the lack of pre launch info !

We're all waiting rather impatiently for eircom to finally get their act together on broadband access.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Cool.
    I was just curious since I got on FTTC some time ago after major complaints to them about my BB. I got some info from the person im dealing with and just wanted to compare to see if anyone else got the same.
    I'll see if it fits better in another thread and post it there.
    Thanks.
    I'll unsubscribe to this one now anyway and leave it to cabinets

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

No defo one of the new cabinets with the big hinge on the right
    red_bairn wrote: »
    You need to take a photograph of it, because somebody said this already and he never put up a photograph. It could be a ADSL cabinet. Check my sig below.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They have quite the collection on Tramore Road in Cork, what's the reason for this? There's a low housing density there as it backs on to an industrial estate, which itself doesn't have that many units.

247522.JPG

• Advertisement

No defo one of the new cabinets with the big hinge on the right
    I find that odd because Kilcoole was on the Phase V list and Greystones hasn't been touched as far as I know. Could you grab a photo and then map it?

TheChizler wrote: »
    They have quite the collection on Tramore Road in Cork, what's the reason for this?

Could it be an area where UPC are not present??

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Could it be an area where UPC are not present??

No, they're definitely present around that way.

Unlike BT/Openreach, they seem to be using multiple small cabinets, instead of one really big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Solair wrote: »
    No, they're definitely present around that way.

Unlike BT/Openreach, they seem to be using multiple small cabinets, instead of one really big one.

That second bigger-than-normal phone cabinet on the right has gone in since the street view picture in 09, but the area is relatively unchanged since well before then. Just one of the many planning oddities in the network that they're working around in recent years perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

TheChizler wrote: »
    They have quite the collection on Tramore Road in Cork, what's the reason for this? There's a low housing density there as it backs on to an industrial estate, which itself doesn't have that many units.

247522.JPG

Replacements?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

I spotted one top of the main street in Ballyshannon Co. Donegal tonight, don't think its even on the list of towns to do? Maybe its just passing through to somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

I don't normally pass that way but next time will take a pic, it's just past Matt Brittons on the left heading towards Newastle
    red_bairn wrote: »
    I find that odd because Kilcoole was on the Phase V list and Greystones hasn't been touched as far as I know. Could you grab a photo and then map it?

I don't normally pass that way but next time will take a pic, it's just past Matt Brittons on the left heading towards Newastle

On the R761, beside the Industrial Estate? I'm going by the map, I don't know the area particularly well. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Sky are rolling out the Palmerston(Dublin) trial soon enough

Wils110 wrote: »
    Sky are rolling out the Palmerston(Dublin) trial soon enough

Is that actually a Sky product though or just using eircom's FTTC infrastructure?

• Advertisement

Solair wrote: »
    Is that actually a Sky product though or just using eircom's FTTC infrastructure?

Eircomfttc they will be doing clonee (d15) swords and can't remember the other place tbh il check tomorrow so I will...I put myself down for it as I'm staff, nobody go ring looking for it you'll get no where.just giving you guys info is all

Wils110 wrote: »
    Eircomfttc they will be doing clonee (d15) swords and can't remember the other place tbh il check tomorrow so I will...I put myself down for it as I'm staff, nobody go ring looking for it you'll get no where.just giving you guys info is all

Any jobs going?..(even though they've let people go or will do.)

Jobs.ie I think they are still advertising only people I know getting let go are failing probation tbh,permanent job after that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Took a spin around Ballinasloe earlier...nothing to report sadly :( despite getting a fibre flier through the door during the week.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Took a spin around Ballinasloe earlier...nothing to report sadly :( despite getting a fibre flier through the door during the week.

Nothing visible in Athlone either I had a good look at the Roslevin (Westmeath) side the other day. UPC just got two more years to sweat their crappy MMDS so that pushes any Ballinasloe UPC cable upgrade back to 2015...if indeed ever. Same in Nenagh lest anyone ask. :(

I saw two UPC vans parked in the middle on the N11 today (northbound; just before Dunnes Stores). One lad was climbing down a ladder that was put into a manhole...

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Found another one in Drogheda. Outside the Rowan Heights estate. Fairly new cabinet as there is still some cement work to be done on the footpath!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

seen 2 more on monday on my travels.

One in Mayfield Cork, silversprings drive (off the main road).
    One in galway out the claregalway road just after the roundabout where you get onto the motorway. Wouldnt have thought thats a high populated area!

Hopefully they should pop up on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

Got a call today from Magnet sales. They said that FTTC goes live on 20th of May with up to 70Mb/sec. The upgrade is automatic, if I am an existing Magnet customer and live in an FTTC area, I will get automatically the FTTC upgrade. The broadband only Fatpipe package with up to 70Mb/sec, truly unlimited, without phone will cost 55 EUR/month, he said also what will be the price with phone, but I cannot remember, 65 EUR/month maybe.

I asked about the contract, he said it is under negotiation. By the way I suppose it will be contract less, it would be odd that I would be automatically upgraded to FTTC and that would mean I sign again for 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

chriss745 wrote: »
    Got a call today from Magnet sales... The broadband only Fatpipe package with up to 70Mb/sec, truly unlimited, without phone will cost 55 EUR/month, he said also what will be the price with phone, but I cannot remember, 65 EUR/month maybe.
    No, no, no, they're supposed to undercut UPC and force UPC to reduce their prices to compete:mad: FFS, what are the marketing department playing at? Who are they targeting this at?

Light user that typically visits one of the top 20 most visited sites in Ireland will probably see no noticeable difference in speed on those websites. The cost however is between €45 for 30Mb Digiweb Metro or €55 for 70Mb Eircom, a €120 pa difference. Should be interesting.....

Heavier users that might use Netflix, Torrents etc will probably see no massive difference in speed between €60pm UPC's "The Essential Bundle-Limited" with 50Mb, (with the add-on of On Demand TV with Boxsets and 90 channels, and a phone with 100 free minutes - excluding the VAT on those calls which you must pay) and €65 Eircom's offer of UP TO 70Mb broadband (and a phone and study hub). A €60pa difference. When the Horizon box comes out, it will make things worse!

Just when we thought Eircom might undercut the market and shake things up....... :(
    How depressing...

Advertisement