Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

I know... but is the poster living in a part of Sligo which is covered by UPC?

Just out of range of it, a five minute walk down the road and the routers are broadcasting UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gaynna

Its 100GB now but I am constantly bordering on it due to it been a rolling cap. Wouldnt be too bad if it started a fresh after every month.

Seriously, a rolling cap? That would infuriate me. Ditch Digiweb and move to Eircom since UPC isn't available. A rolling cap is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gaynna

red_bairn wrote: »
    Dublin airport...

This country is so messed up.

It's mostly fields out that way. The most profitable area for phone companies is apartment complexes, the second-most is town houses, the third-most is housing estates - rural areas with fields are the last to get broadband. A lack of technology is the sacrifice you have to make when living a hermit lifestyle out in the sticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

dublin airport itself is fed by plenty of Eircom fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Been a load of FTTC cabinets fitted in my estate for at least 3 months. I know see on the Eircom website that my estate is due for roll out in ...DECEMBER 14. Why spend on infrastructure and let it sit idle for 2 years minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Mylow wrote: »
    Been a load of FTTC cabinets fitted in my estate for at least 3 months. I know see on the Eircom website that my estate is due for roll out in ...DECEMBER 14. Why spend on infrastructure and let it sit idle for 2 years minimum.

yeah, this I don't get. They're stuffing fibre into the ground in Arklow right now, and its not going to be switched on for a year at least.

In the mean time, we'll likely have some form of 4G crap broadcasting and they're going to lose a fairly large portion of potential customers for 12-18 months if they sign up for a contract with that. If they just started selling as soon as it was installed, they'd see a considerable amount more business imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

yeah, this I don't get. They're stuffing fibre into the ground in Arklow right now, and its not going to be switched on for a year at least.

In the mean time, we'll likely have some form of 4G crap broadcasting and they're going to lose a fairly large portion of potential customers for 12-18 months if they sign up for a contract with that. If they just started selling as soon as it was installed, they'd see a considerable amount more business imo.

facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I'm in Arklow stuck on sub 2mb eircom.

This news makes me angry and happy.
    Mostly angry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Lads, who do McCann Cabling Solutions work for? They're shoving something into ducts on the Vale and Coolgreany roads in Arklow today, wondering if it's for eircom or ESB

Saw those guys at Meadowvale estate a week or so ago as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Does anyone know what is the max distance Eircom are expecting their new vdsl cabinets to reach? Are they deploying vdsl cabinets where there isn't already existing cabinets?

I did a calculation. By road, the nearest cabinet to me is 1km away. If I am lucky, and my road is connected to that cabinet under the nearby green, I may only be 250 metres away from it. But I fear the 1km distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

Any news on when phase 1 will be activated?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

Any news on when phase 1 will be activated?

As I know phase 1 and phase 2 will be enabled together because phase 2 should have been done already for 31st of December. I am from Ballincollig (phase 2), everything seems ready here.

When is a good question, hopefully as soon as possible, I am checking daily the news portals. I really hope it will goes on in Q1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭irishgeo

chriss745 wrote: »
    As I know phase 1 and phase 2 will be enabled together because phase 2 should have been done already for 31st of December. I am from Ballincollig (phase 2), everything seems ready here.

When is a good question, hopefully as soon as possible, I am checking daily the news portals. I really hope it will goes on in Q1.

april was the rumour

Educational page here, that is handy for those who keep asking about distance to the cabinet and the speeds available. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

When Eircom finally get down to providing fiber broadband, will I still need a telephone?

Got a bill today for €126

eircom Talk Off-Peak = €48.78
    Next Gen. Broadband Ultimate = €65.82
    Plus other charges...

It's down about €9 from the last bill but it's still a rip-off. How the hell is this company in debt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

None of that's clear as they haven't announced any products yet.
    If you could get 'naked VDSL' i.e. without a phone line, you could just use a VoIP service and a VoIP phone or an terminal adaptor to connect your existing phones.

The speeds they're talking about are initially 70mbit/s max and then 100mbit/s apparently. Although, again they haven't really officially announced anything.

The speeds very much depend on how close you are to the nearest green box. If you're close you'll get decent speeds, if you're not you might not see a huge speed improvement.

VDSL is still operating over normal phone lines, just shorter ones than running over copper the whole way back to the exchange.

I've noticed in Douglas they installed a few new cabinets in some housing estates where there was no cabinet before. I think the junctions were underground.

So, you might see a green box appearing at the odd underground junction location as well as the existing cabinets. It would depend on what the local network looks like.

There are also a few flavours of VDSL, like anything there have been incremental improvements over the years .. See : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-high-bit-rate_digital_subscriber_line

I don't know what eircom are using as they haven't announced anything. I would assume it's probably the newest standard though, as the equipment's brand new. It would be quite hard to buy old stuff. So, I would assume VDSL2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-high-bit-rate_digital_subscriber_line_2

I'm still amazed they haven't started selling the service in areas where the infrastructure's clearly already now in place. Seems a bit strange not to just launch the damn thing!

Supposedly, the marketing launch is sometime in Q1 2013.

So far, that's all they've released : http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access

That explains the new core network : http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-core

I'm about 300 meters from my cabinet. It only takes a 4-minute walk from my house to get there. What kind of speed can I expect to get at that distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It says the pilot is live in Dundrum, how do i sign up for it?

AdamD wrote: »

Ask the eircom reps. here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1293#

I'm about 300 meters from my cabinet. It only takes a 4-minute walk from my house to get there. What kind of speed can I expect to get at that distance?

Read the page I provided above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Hopefully they will launch when phase 3 is ready end of april 13, its a long wait till dec 13 otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

It will be VDSL2. In the pilot the upload speed was 20mbit, VDSL1 has max 3mbit upload speed.
    Solair wrote: »
    None of that's clear as they haven't announced any products yet.
    If you could get 'naked VDSL' i.e. without a phone line, you could just use a VoIP service and a VoIP phone or an terminal adaptor to connect your existing phones.

The speeds they're talking about are initially 70mbit/s max and then 100mbit/s apparently. Although, again they haven't really officially announced anything.

The speeds very much depend on how close you are to the nearest green box. If you're close you'll get decent speeds, if you're not you might not see a huge speed improvement.

VDSL is still operating over normal phone lines, just shorter ones than running over copper the whole way back to the exchange.

I've noticed in Douglas they installed a few new cabinets in some housing estates where there was no cabinet before. I think the junctions were underground.

So, you might see a green box appearing at the odd underground junction location as well as the existing cabinets. It would depend on what the local network looks like.

There are also a few flavours of VDSL, like anything there have been incremental improvements over the years .. See : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-high-bit-rate_digital_subscriber_line

I don't know what eircom are using as they haven't announced anything. I would assume it's probably the newest standard though, as the equipment's brand new. It would be quite hard to buy old stuff. So, I would assume VDSL2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-high-bit-rate_digital_subscriber_line_2

I'm still amazed they haven't started selling the service in areas where the infrastructure's clearly already now in place. Seems a bit strange not to just launch the damn thing!

Supposedly, the marketing launch is sometime in Q1 2013.

So far, that's all they've released : http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access

That explains the new core network : http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-core

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭decies

Nothing for clerihan 7000 metres from clonmel then :-?

AdamD wrote: »

its only certain cabs that have FTTC .... if you're not served by one you'll have to wait until a full rollout takes place
    When Eircom finally get down to providing fiber broadband, will I still need a telephone?

Got a bill today for €126

eircom Talk Off-Peak = €48.78
    Next Gen. Broadband Ultimate = €65.82
    Plus other charges...

It's down about €9 from the last bill but it's still a rip-off. How the hell is this company in debt?

did you not have to option for VoIP ? it's usually included in the NGA bundle

essentially you have a 2 different services over the one line, POTS and NGA

also, Eircom FTTC will be VDSL2, 50 Meg d/l (upgrading to 100meg eventually) typical speeds close to the cab will be 35/40 Meg d/l with 15-20 up

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

I have a question......if eircom are not going to rollout lots of new fibre connected cabinets beyond the current exchanges, then the only benefit to the consumer will be that their current BB will be uncongested as VDSL is only really differentiated from ADSL2 over the first 300Ft.....and most of us are further than 300 ft.....!
    I hope im wrong but I can't see them doing that....?
    Looking at the eircom NGN website it doesn't suggest more fibre? Is there a publicly announced plan to deploy new fibre in addition to the current exchange network or FTTP beyond the current pilots? And how would they do that in reality?
    Interested in opinions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

eircom is bankrupt

300m

and no, you will still get faster than ADSL2+ up to 5 or 6 hundred meters from the cab if the copper is in good shape

after that, yes, it starts dropping to ADSL2+ equivalent speeds ...

then ADSL speeds after

you have to keep in mind though, these could be customers who had slow broadband to begin with, myself for example, Im on 5 megs, when that cab goes live, I'll easily get the 35/40 megs

customers could also be in the position where they could only get midband or dial up, but will now be able to get a couple of megs

the whole NGA program is new fibre, the hope is to enable as many exchanges as financially viable... fibre will also be in situ for future expansion i.e. FTTH ... but thats a long while off yet

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

That's my point, the reality is that for most consumers, or at least those beyond 300 ft, from their exchange there will be no significant benefit beyond the fact that the back haul from the exchange will now be uncongested......!
    So we shouldn't be getting our hopes up that anything will change anytime soon,,,,,,

but the DSLAM's are being moved from the exchange out closer to the customer to their nearest roadside cabinet, so more customers will be able to avail of higher speeds ...

in populated areas, its rare you're beyond 500 or 600 meters from a cab (I know it does happen before people jump down my throat)
    i.e. majority of customers would be able to get 25-40 megs no problem (even though ADSL2+ is 24 megs, its rare you get more than 21 or so at premises)

in rural areas, with customers hanging off cabs 1 and 2 km, if not more away, they'll be able to get broadband where they might not have ever been able to get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

arctan wrote: »
    but the DSLAM's are being moved from the exchange out closer to the customer to their nearest roadside cabinet, so more customers will be able to avail of higher speeds ...

in populated areas, its rare you're beyond 500 or 600 meters from a cab (I know it does happen before people jump down my throat)
    i.e. majority of customers would be able to get 25-40 megs no problem (even though ADSL2+ is 24 megs, its rare you get more than 21 or so at premises)

in rural areas, with customers hanging off cabs 1 and 2 km, if not more away, they'll be able to get broadband where they might not have ever been able to get it
    Sponge Bob has before posted info on the specific VDSL2 profiles that would be deployed by eircom and huawei. It appeared there was nothing to cater for ADSL2-only usage. The conclusion I drew was that eircom wouldn't be serving outlying rural customers with the new cabinets. Only people who could get a minimum 10 or 15 mbps from the cabinet will benefit.

Advertisement