Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

very little FTTH, mainly FTTC.

Each cab gets a 24 pair fibre with 23 terminating in the cab for 'future uses' and one used to backhaul the VDSL from the cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Noel_ags516

10q9vh0.jpg
    And is the blue cable from the Tralee exchange (marked in red) used for Fibre rollout in Tralee, Co. Kerry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

i'm confused...
    1. Is the orange fibre cable used for FTTC or FTTH?
    2. Can FTTC reach speeds beyond 50Mbps in theory?

there is no orange fibre cable, orange is the subducting the fibre sits inside

at the moment in Eircom's network, 50 megs is max for FTTC
    this should be increased next year to 100 megs when this vectoring technology is implemented
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    very little FTTH, mainly FTTC.

Each cab gets a 24 pair fibre with 23 terminating in the cab for 'future uses' and one used to backhaul the VDSL from the cab.

its actually 4 used for the eircom DSLAM, 1TX, 1 RX and a back up for each, currently the other 20 lie dead in the cab

edit:

haven't seen a blue cable yet, but yes it is quite possible it is fibre, or possibly a different type of subducting

Are they using PL subduct as standard ?

arctan wrote: »
    edit:

haven't seen a blue cable yet, but yes it is quite possible it is fibre, or possibly a different type of subducting

I'm not too sure if the blue cable will be used for FTTH or FTTC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

So when do they go 'live' as such with the actual technology? After 2013?

Are they using PL subduct as standard ?

PL?
    red_bairn wrote: »
    So when do they go 'live' as such with the actual technology? After 2013?

not entirely sure, "next year" is what's being plugged, so probably 2014
    I'm not too sure if the blue cable will be used for FTTH or FTTC.

it's all fibre (well possibly, blue cable or possible subduct hasn't been ID'd yet)

but there is no difference for fibre used for FTTC or FTTH, it's all monomode 9 micron fibre ....

arctan wrote: »
    PL?

PL-HDPE instead of plain HDPE

not 100% sure, I think it is PL though

• Registered Users Posts: 28 harrys

Here's a video of some eircom lads on the job in Carlow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAPULe10dQg

• Advertisement

Are blue cables and green cables for fibre (FTTH/FTTC) the same?

Dunno what the colour coding is at all but one can use 'bendier' fibre for parts of an ftth network.

Meanwhile. The launch of eircoms fibre network is now unlikely before the summer EXCEPT where eircom apply the SAME bundles but with HIGHER download and uplaod speeds than on Dialup/ADSL1/ADSL2 etc.

So yes they may launch and yes they must charge the same line rental as they would in any other bundle.

What Comreg is proposing is crazy. They

1. Deliberately selected EVERY area with LLU,
    2. Applied a UPC showng up there too test, and
    3. Decided that eircom could ditch line rental in those areas to 'compete;

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/30352-comreg-answers-our/

As Comreg admit themselves.
    The most material difference nationally is that outside the LEA we accept that LLU will probably never be used and that operators will use Eircom’s wholesale line rental and wholesale broadband services.

But they never admitted that this would.

a) NGA will kill LLU stone dead anyway.
    b) 'Strand' the LLU gear in large exchanges that are no longer connected to any copper and
    c) Not even make eircom hand over the (eg BT Smart ) traffic in these stranded islands where BT and Smart already have customers but bring it into the eircom core and charge national transit on 'carrying' it.

And of course the message to UPC and BT. If you dare show up together in an eircom exchange area we will make life easier for eircom. Do they expect that UPC will invest in their network under THOSE terms??? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭swoofer

now I am confused!!! What does this actually mean to a joe soap like me. I am currently with VF for BB and landline. There is now a shiny new eircom green cabinet at the end of my road in ennis. The blurb says ennis will be fully commissioned by end of December 2012. Therefore I am expecting, nay gagging for the opportunity to sign up for fibre broadband in January 2013. If this is not the case then what the .... is going on?

And is this another example why we are so far behind its laugable but how does that equate with a quote in this weeks independent that stated " Ireland now has faster speeds than the UK"

The product bundles to be launched off these shiny new cabinets are stuck in the regulatory trenches is what it means.
    GBCULLEN wrote: »
    how does that equate with a quote in this weeks independent that stated " Ireland now has faster speeds than the UK"

Ho Ho Ho , you mean this :D

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/our-digital-future-looks-bright-as-we-embrace-change-3300403.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    now I am confused!!! What does this actually mean to a joe soap like me. I am currently with VF for BB and landline. There is now a shiny new eircom green cabinet at the end of my road in ennis. The blurb says ennis will be fully commissioned by end of December 2012. Therefore I am expecting, nay gagging for the opportunity to sign up for fibre broadband in January 2012. If this is not the case then what the .... is going on?

And is this another example why we are so far behind its laugable but how does that equate with a quote in this weeks independent that stated " Ireland now has faster speeds than the UK"

I think most of the cabled areas will be enabled in the 1st quarter of of 2013.There is sure to be a bit of urgency about as $ky are on the way. This week alone I've had both Voda & Eircom on touting for business. I quizzed the Eircom rep about the roll-out of fibre. He had no info on tarriffs. The Voda fella said "We're not afraid of Eircom - we'll lease the lines
    from Eircom and beat them on price"

I'm also with Vodafone & I'm happy with them. I'm on the "up to 8meg" bundle & I'm consistently getting over 6meg. I'll weigh up all the offers come next Spring as I'm out of contract, and then go with the best one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I think most of the cabled areas will be enabled in the 1st quarter of of 2013.There is sure to be a bit of urgency about as $ky are on the way. This week alone I've had both Voda & Eircom on touting for business. I quizzed the Eircom rep about the roll-out of fibre. He had no info on tarriffs. The Voda fella said "We're not afraid of Eircom - we'll lease the lines
    from Eircom and beat them on price"

I'm also with Vodafone & I'm happy with them. I'm on the "up to 8meg" bundle & I'm consistently getting over 6meg. I'll weigh up all the offers come next Spring as I'm out of contract, and then go with the best one.

Gimme 100/100 with the HD TV all for 30euro and I'll shut up.

I don't really understand the LLU concept that they'll but cut out of everything

all NGA areas have new Prysmium ODF's where the LLU can jumper over a wholesale bitstream out to an NGA cab, then it'll be a case of, like with Eircom and how it is now, jumpering to the right DSLAM (LLU will have a DSLAM in the NGA, I'm led to believe there is room for 3-4 other DSLAM's)

there was also a proposed scheme where nothing has to be done, and all Eircom's infrastructure is used, and it's merely the billing that was different but I think that was found to be unfair by comreg or something like that

BT are due to be the first LLU on the NGA in Dun Laoghaire when it's finished

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭swoofer

That is my point, I am not in a cabled area but have a nice shiny new green cabinet about 100 yards from my house and it looks as if it will be left there to rot. Is this really a country that promotes digital?

ps arctan can you make it a bit simpler for us culchies!!

pps is ennis an LLU??

my point was, that earlier in the thread, what I got from the posts was that eircom won't make it easy for other operators to get in on the Next Generation access (NGA) or into exchanges due to Comreg orders etc... making it not so financially lucrative to them .... in the majority of cases, this is getting fibres out to one of those FTTC cabinets ...

what I am saying is, new ODF's (optical distribution frames, basically a break out point, for connecting to certain paths and testing etc...) are in place in all NGA fitted exchanges, already hooked into an NGA Agg Node (access to the core backhaul network)

so if another operator did want to get in on providing FTTC services, it would be a matter of putting in their DSLAM (equipment) into the NGA cab, splicing it in, having a loop cable into the copper cab .... then going back to the exchange, jumpering the relevant positions in the ODF and enabling the positions on the agg node .... (or in some cases, i.e BT, they will have their own network in some places)

and the only reason they'd be in the exchange is commissioning their fibre path out to the NGA cab and that's it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Will still aiming for easter 2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jolo

Someone called to my place in Ballina Co. Tipperary telling me about Eircom's great new offer - new high speed broadband + music, study and sports hub - all for 35 a month.
    We're currently with Vodafone - 45 a month.

This deal has to be taken up by 30th Nov that's this Friday. It also includes an offer with e mobile of 34 a month for unlimited everything.

If the high speed system isn't in place already how can they make this offer now? Can we get the high speed broadband now? Or when?

We have a problem on our line discovered by Vodafone when we complained about intermittent broadband and verified by Eircom when Vodafone put them onto it. It will cost 'a lot' to have eircom fix it if we're not customers. Is it true they'll fix the line issue for free if we are their customers? Vodafone did send us a newer router which improved the situation which makes me wonder a little.

Do eircom monitor downloads? IF we downloaded movies or games or anything else via torrents or otherwise could we get into difficulties?

Is Eircom a good or bad provider? I'm put off by some posts I've seen here. But I'm tempted by the line fix, high speed and mobile offer.

OH works from home remotely a couple of days each week so a good connection is a priority for that too.

you were offered adsl2. was that price written down or only 'promised'?

you were offered adsl2. was that price written down or only 'promised'?

I was given a flyer and the guy wrote
    '35 per month
    34 per month unlimited everything'

And then underneath wrote his name and mobile number.

If they charge a penny more thatn that as I suspect they will .....then you can formally complain and they have to give you the agreed rate. I think that good offers are limited to 3 or 6 months but of course if the flyer does not limit anything then it will be good for 12 months if you complain formally. Was the €35 a month printed on the flyer or written on it later ?? :)

Nothing that eircom winback salesmen do could ever suprise me. But a deal is a deal once you have the evidence. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭irishgeo

jolo wrote: »
    I was given a flyer and the guy wrote
    '35 per month
    34 per month unlimited everything'

And then underneath wrote his name and mobile number.

id sign it too and you have a written contract.:D

The '35 Euros per month' and '34.5 unlimited everything' were hand written by the salesman on th flyer.

Any thoughts on the other aspects as per my op - quality of service and line, monitored downloads, repairs etc.?

alright, i thought Tralee, Co. Kerry will use FTTH for the Eircom fibre rollout. Tralee is actually using FTTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

alright, i thought Tralee, Co. Kerry will use FTTH for the Eircom fibre rollout. Tralee is actually using FTTC.

Pretty much the whole rollout is FTTC. There is very little FTTH as it is cost prohibitive.

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote: »

Pretty much the whole rollout is FTTC. There is very little FTTH as it is cost prohibitive.

FTTC can only reach speeds up to 100Mbps. FTTH is better than FTTC. Tralee, Co. Kerry doesn't have UPC broadband but FTTC should be fine. I have two questions.
    1. Can FTTC be upgraded to FTTH in the future to reach speeds beyond 100Mbps?
    2. Is the Eircom FTTH better than UPC?

Advertisement