Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

red_bairn wrote: »
    We've an old white cabinet at top of the road connected to a green box.

in some of the FTTH set ups, yes a white cab has been used, this is where the ODF cross connect was, however, it could still be a FTTC setp

This extension section that I've seen on a few cabs, are they to house any of the FTTC equipment or just more space for the cables connecting to a FTTC cabinet beside it?

the cab pictured is not populated much at all (I think its a 100 pair feeding the cab)

more densely populated cabs can have up to 600 pairs feeding it, then over 800 leaving it .... this would take up the space very fast, so the section attached above houses the DSLAM cross connects (the blocks that are on the right in the pictures posted)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Braytek

I can currently get max 4mb. I am a few km from the exchange but have a question. If a Cab is put between the exchange and me ( but still 1km from me ) would i be able to benefit from it. Even if it is about an extra mb or two

Thanks

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

still no word on prices / launch? I turned down Sky unlimited broadband for 7.50 a month thinking I would be getting fibre by Easter. Beginning to think it was a mistake.

last I heard, phase 1/phase 2 was still in line to be launched April-ish.... but there is still a lot of work to be done in some areas so not sure if they'll go ahead with what they have or wait until they are done 100% in the areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭irishgeo

arctan wrote: »
    last I heard, phase 1/phase 2 was still in line to be launched April-ish.... but there is still a lot of work to be done in some areas so not sure if they'll go ahead with what they have or wait until they are done 100% in the areas

can they afford to wait is the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

I was reading a post yesterday, saying that they will be puttin the fibre on trial in the first 10 location complete sometime in January??

Anybody else see this

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

GIMickey wrote: »

I was reading a post yesterday, saying that they will be puttin the fibre on trial in the first 10 location complete sometime in January??

Anybody else see this

Link
    http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/News/NGA_Phase_5/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Eircom are very busy in my area this week (Leixlip). They've got 4 or 5 vans on the road and are working at all the main ducts.

A few weeks ago there were non-Eircom contractors laying cable on their behalf along the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I've heard some Eircom staff say 4-5 months to live. Also, on their own forums one of their own staff mentioned 4-5 months from yesterday.

• Advertisement

so circa end of April - June ?

BT are already selling unbundled fibre products in some areas so they'll be under pressure to go live not from their own point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

so circa end of April - June ?

BT are already selling unbundled fibre products in some areas so they'll be under pressure to go live not from their own point of view

I agree, but sure UPC have been the far bigger threat for ages, and everyday people are switching to UPC. The quicker they get up and running the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I heard something about a BT Ireland trial of their own VDSL2 / FTTC product in Dun Laoghaire, but I think it was just a test run.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/28793-bt-to-trial-80mbps-fibre-br

BT Ireland's a threat, but eircom still makes money out of the access network for all of BT Ireland's products using it, even if they're unbundled, it still charges them for the physical line going into your house and for space in the exchange / cabinets.

However, if someone switches to UPC, they're 100% gone from eircom's revenue stream. It's a totally independent network which has no reason to use any eircom access / core networks at all. They've their own fibre-coax hybrid local networks and their own core network and international connectivity.

UPC has fibre-to-curb already in place and running in pretty much all of our major and even some not so major urban areas. It's about 5 or 6 years ahead of eircom in terms of fibre access networks and they have technology deployed that already offers speeds that are much faster than eircom's VDSL2 product can!

Not only that, but they are genuinely gobbling up Eircom customers because they've generally got a vastly superior and often cheaper broadband product.

They're eircom's only full competitor of any scale in the residential sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

irishgeo wrote: »
    can they afford to wait is the question?

Eircoms future is depend on Fibre broadband. There looking at small towns in the coming years to have fibre, and their is the possibility of Eircom looking at certain rural places to have it too?

Sky seems to be concentrating on DSL at the moment. Objective i guess is to add customers and take customers from Eircom.

But you have to be with Sky to get those great deals at the momemt. When Sky officially does launch * (what will their prices be?) Will the deals be just as good for non sky customers?

If Eircom doesn't move from DSL to Fibre. Sky will mostly likely add new customers, people who were previously with their rival Eircom. The only safe bet for Eircom, is to increase speeds for customers, so they will not go to Sky from them.

If Sky invests in their own laying of Fibre than Eircom is really then in serious trouble.

Solair wrote: »
    I heard something about a BT Ireland trial of their own VDSL2 / FTTC product in Dun Laoghaire, but I think it was just a test run.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/28793-bt-to-trial-80mbps-fibre-br

BT Ireland's a threat, but eircom still makes money out of the access network for all of BT Ireland's products using it, even if they're unbundled, it still charges them for the physical line going into your house and for space in the exchange / cabinets.

However, if someone switches to UPC, they're 100% gone from eircom's revenue stream. It's a totally independent network which has no reason to use any eircom access / core networks at all. They've their own fibre-coax hybrid local networks and their own core network and international connectivity.

UPC has fibre-to-curb already in place and running in pretty much all of our major and even some not so major urban areas. It's about 5 or 6 years ahead of eircom in terms of fibre access networks and they have technology deployed that already offers speeds that are much faster than eircom's VDSL2 product can!

Not only that, but they are genuinely gobbling up Eircom customers because they've generally got a vastly superior and often cheaper broadband product.

They're eircom's only full competitor of any scale in the residential sector.

this is Eircom's FTTC project, they'll be the first company in with local loop unbundling on it ... Dun Laoghaire isn't live yet

its what I was saying, they're not only under pressure from the company, but with BT promised dates and selling products already, any major backlogs and Comreg will be involved, so it'll have to be within the timeframe they are saying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭swoofer

we can only wait and hope, ennis is showing dec 2012 but we are now in 2013 and still not complete. We can only hope it happens eventually but there is a good chance it will be too pricey anyway. I cant see eircom charging less for a better product.

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    we can only wait and hope, ennis is showing dec 2012 but we are now in 2013 and still not complete. We can only hope it happens eventually but there is a good chance it will be too pricey anyway. I cant see eircom charging less for a better product.

It's not a better product than UPC, which is what will be dictating their pricing.

UPC can easily offer 150mbit/s and beyond, eircom's product will max out at about 70 to 80mbit/s and that's only if you're very close to the cabinet.

So, it's still a technically inferior product to DOCSIS 3.0 & fibre cabinets and UPC's already very competitively priced and has widespread service already in place.

If eircom charge a fortune for VDSL, they simply won't get any returning UPC customers and will continue bleeding urban customers to the cable company.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭swoofer

thats what i mean, no upc BB in ennis

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    thats what i mean, no upc BB in ennis

They won't really be able to have different prices in different regions though (I assume)

So, whatever they're offering will have to be competitive with UPC even if there's no local UPC operation.

GIMickey wrote: »

Anybody else see this

ahh rats , castlebar was phase 2, i wish they stick up a line checker so we could check if our lines were capable of getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 leigh852

irishgeo wrote: »
    ahh rats , castlebar was phase 2, i wish they stick up a line checker so we could check if our lines were capable of getting it.

Word on the street is that its April before us in Castlebar go live with fiber. Are you far from a cabinet? I'm luckily only about 100m from one!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

leigh852 wrote: »

Word on the street is that its April before us in Castlebar go live with fiber. Are you far from a cabinet? I'm luckily only about 100m from one!

I am from one smaller in 200m and one from 400m, but I am afraid I am connected to the latter (due to street layout), although I can see Eircom labels on the street to both directions from my house. Do you know if I am connected to the cab at 400 can I ask to connect me to the closer cab when I go with FTTC?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

They are connecting us up to Eircom fibre at the start of Feb.

Our landline BB was with Vodafone. It got really bad in October. Moved to Eircom and it got better but still was useless. So they have agreed that since the line is so bad we will be connected to fibre in Feb.
    Cant wait. In Swords exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Solair wrote: »
    They won't really be able to have different prices in different regions though (I assume)

That's not what Comreg think...see their LEA proposals

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Wambo

MMAGirl wrote: »
    They are connecting us up to Eircom fibre at the start of Feb.

Our landline BB was with Vodafone. It got really bad in October. Moved to Eircom and it got better but still was useless. So they have agreed that since the line is so bad we will be connected to fibre in Feb.
    Cant wait. In Swords exchange.
    Did they tell you the download speeds you'll be getting or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Eircom contractors working again on a Sunday in Leixlip. They really are in a hurry to finish what they're doing!

leigh852 wrote: »

Think I am about 400m from one. I am out the WestPort rd so hopefully they ran it out to my estate

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Braytek

Braytek wrote: »
    I can currently get max 4mb. I am a few km from the exchange but have a question. If a Cab is put between the exchange and me ( but still 1km from me ) would i be able to benefit from it. Even if it is about an extra mb or two

Thanks

I got a reply saying yes but wonder if i can get another opinion, would I see an increase in speed when they put a cab between me and exchange ( even if its 1km away ). The exchange is an ADSL2+ one up to 24mb, im very far but can get 4mb max. I hope this increases when they put cabs between me and exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I got a reply saying yes but wonder if i can get another opinion, would I see an increase in speed when they put a cab between me and exchange ( even if its 1km away ). The exchange is an ADSL2+ one up to 24mb, im very far but can get 4mb max. I hope this increases when they put cabs between me and exchange

Did they say they'd put in a cabinet between the exchange and your home?

I'm about 650 - 700m from the cabinet and we get 6 of 8MB (75%). Here is a guide that you could roughly go by:

http://www.linebroker.co.uk/fttc-tech.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've been wondering this too. My family's DSL connection was limited to 1 mb by eircom even though it could do more. It took moving to an LLU provider and a few emails before I got the 3 mbps the line could handle. It's been working perfectly since, even when I set the modem to use ADSL only. No doubt a FTTC cabinet will be installed nearer, only to be told the same crap we were told for years:rolleyes:

Advertisement