Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the technology is also perfect for small towns and rural locations with the cabinets delivering decent broadband well beyond the local village/town. Large pockets of rural Meath, Kildare, Louth, Wicklow, Cork, Galway and a few other counties have house's dotted alongside all the countryside roads for miles on end, there would be a great uptake of these services with less people relying on mobile so called broadband etc. But Eircom seem only interested in the largest of towns where most people already get good speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

iMuse wrote: »
    Checked a phone number in my estate (can't check my own number as im not with Eircom) and it says the 25/50 mb packages are available when they weren't a few weeks ago so hopefully it won't be too long before its available.

I'm not with Eircom either but my phone number works on their line checker.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Mickalus wrote: »
    I'm not with Eircom either but my phone number works on their line checker.....

That's strange what ISP do you have? I'm on Smart, maybe because they use their own equipment my number isn't showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Gonzo wrote: »
    Eircom are totally going about this the wrong way, they would gain far more customers to their new products if they launched them in rural locations and small towns across Ireland. I would take their new product up in a heartbeat but unfortunately there is no plans for anything greater than ADSL where I live and most of us in rural locations will be left struggling on 1-6meg connections for years to come. Eircom will not gain many new customers by installing this technology in mainly upc towns and streets trying to compete with a far cheaper and more powerfull competitor.

Sorry but what you are saying doesn't make any sense from a business point of view. Eircom have a virtual monopoly in small towns and rural areas. It's in the cities and urban areas where UPC are crucifying them and it's also the place where there is the most profit to be had. Why would they bother upgrading rural areas first where they have little to no competition.

Make no mistake, this whole rollout process is a reaction to UPC hammering them in the cities. Here is a link to an article showing just how quickly UPC are taking customers in urban areas. There have been similar numbers coming out every quarter for the last few years.

And before you think this is a "them mucksavages don't need the internet rant" I'm in the same position as yourself, would love it to come to my area but I know it's going to be many years before it happens.

iMuse wrote: »
    That's strange what ISP do you have? I'm on Smart, maybe because they use their own equipment my number isn't showing up.
    Could indeed be the reason. I'm currently with Digiweb. used to be with Eircom, then switched over. Pretty sure it's over eircom's equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

smelllikesshoes is totally right, that is why I think Eircom should concentrate on big Towns with no upc after they get a foothold in the cities.

Maybe we should compile a list of towns with little or no UPC where Eircom should go to next with phase 3 :)

I will do North Co Dublin

1st, Balbriggan, Co Dublin, 11,000 lines or so and practically 0 UPC competition

2nd, Skerries, Co Dublin, 5000 lines and no upc competition

3rd, Rush & Lusk (i think it is one exchange), Co Dublin, 7000 lines and no upc.

Portmarnock, Donabate, Naul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Oceans12

Praetorian wrote: »
    smelllikesshoes is totally right, that is why I think Eircom should concentrate on big Towns with no upc after they get a foothold in the cities.

Maybe we should compile a list of towns with little or no UPC where Eircom should go to next with phase 3 :)

1st, Balbriggan, Co Dublin, 11,000 lines or so and practically 0 UPC competition

3rd, Rush & Lusk (i think it is one exchange), Co Dublin, 7000 lines and no upc.

Drogheda is on phase II, which is down to be completed end 2012, Drogheda , has no UPC and no real alternative to DSL for many parts of the town.

I seriously doubt that eircom will have FTTC / FTTH in Drogheda by end 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Mullingar has a huge area not covered by UPC. UPC has bits and pieces of estates but there are huge estates in between with no UPC. I would easily say around 1500 houses within 1 mile of the town cant get UPC( possibly more, i didnt count lol ).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I would say it makes more sense for eircom to compete with UPC directly first, but for the fact that eircom's product is inferior anyway. Even their new FTTC equipment can no longer (strictly speaking) be used for phoneline alarms. This is one of the few technical advantages eircom had over UPC.

If they can get people to spend more on eircom products by using FTTC (i.e. revenue growth) and if they are unable to compete using FTTC in UPC areas then it would make more sense for UPC to focus on non-UPC urban areas. But I doubt that eircom's mediocre next generation offering is going to entice people to spend much more on them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

eircoms biggest problem is simple customer retention. they lost 1 in 6 residential customers in Bray in less than a year after UPC launched there last year.

In small towns where UPC and Wireless is not pressurising them they are not losing customers (net) although they are under pressure in the likes of Letterkenny from 3G.

eircom are losing more customers off NON DSL exchanges in rural areas than they are from enabled exchanges.

Here are the top 100 exchanges where eircom are losing retail customers in numeric terms right now. I think that 'fibre' customers are erroneously included in this data as they are no longer connected to the main exchange.

The top 100 exchanges account for around 1.4m of the 2.5m copper pairs on the network and most likely for almost all the 1m customers they intend to upgrade.

Blanchardstown
    Bray
    Tallaght
    Dolphins Barn
    Palmerstown
    Priory Park
    Belcamp
    Mullingar
    Crown Alley
    Dunlaoghaire
    Beggars Bush
    Ballyboden
    Rathmines
    Walkinstown
    Nutley
    Cabra
    Terenure
    Swords
    Finglas
    Dundrum
    Carlow
    North Main
    Churchfield
    Waterford Central
    Castlebar
    Navan
    Crumlin
    Portlaoise
    Clonmel
    Dundalk
    Wexford
    Kilkenny
    Roches Street
    Nangor Road
    Drogheda
    Whitehall
    Lucan Ballydowd
    Naas
    Coolock
    Mervue
    Rochestown
    Shankill
    Tralee
    Merrion
    Santry
    Wellington Road
    Quaker Road
    Tycor
    Lucan
    Galway
    Clontarf
    Letterkenny
    Killarney
    Leixlip
    Phibsboro
    Shantalla
    Cork Central
    Sutton
    Ship Street
    Summerhill
    Sandyford
    Wexford Anne Street
    Sandyford Aeh
    Dooradoyle
    Ashbourne
    Tullamore
    Portmarnock
    Enniscorthy
    Droichead Nua
    Trim
    Ennis
    Customs Hs Docks
    Malahide
    Athy
    Newlands Cross
    Dunboyne
    Rathcoole
    Caherdavin
    Balbriggan
    Douglas
    Maynooth
    Ratoath
    Celbridge
    Sligo
    Longford
    Cavan
    Clonee
    Thurles
    Loughrea
    Ballincollig
    Edenderry
    Portarlington
    Clonakilty
    Nenagh
    Clane
    Ballina
    Rathedmond
    Arklow
    Gorey
    Dungarvan
    Midleton
    Dennehys Cross

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

UPC are offering service off the MAN in Lusk. Certain estates have UPC while others and parts of others don't.

SeaSide wrote: »
    UPC are offering service off the MAN in Lusk. Certain estates have UPC while others and parts of others don't.

Strange UPC don't advertise Lusk on their own coverage map. It must be very few houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

To my knowledge, most of Portmarnock has UPC - it was recabled about 2 years ago?

(not so sure about Old Portmarnock, although it's a pretty small area)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

brijay wrote: »

That's nice...and how much does it cost?
    The biggest bump on the FTTC/FTTH road is cost. If they(eircom) want to compete with UPC they need to be on a par price wise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

bealtine wrote: »
    The biggest bump on the FTTC/FTTH road is cost. If they(eircom) want to compete with UPC they need to be on a par price wise

Id be shocked if they matched UPC. I have an inkling Eircom will do a deal where the first few months will be cheaper than UPC but they remaining months will be more expensive than UPC's packages. That would be typical Eircom behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

bealtine wrote: »
    €65

• Registered Users Posts: 21,440 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No 'inklings' required, here's the pricing ...

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/fibre/

More expensive than UPC, but upload speeds are much higher, handy for these 'cloud' oriented times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

What areas is this available? Those are some stats the other guy posted, 143 mb per second!!!!

brijay wrote: »

FTTH is the holy grail of broadband. Superior to what UPC are offering. But Eircom / Magnet wont rollout much FTTH. So you are lucky to have it!

I wonder will UPC match or beat the 150 max product speed of Eircoms FTTH for the headlines? Of course Eircom /Magnet could ramp the speed upto probably a gigabit if they wanted to, but then it may make their FTTC products look slow in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

FTTH is the holy grail of broadband. Superior to what UPC are offering. But Eircom / Magnet wont rollout much FTTH. So you are lucky to have it!

I wonder will UPC match or beat the 150 max product speed of Eircoms FTTH for the headlines? Of course Eircom /Magnet could ramp the speed upto probably a gigabit if they wanted to, but then it may make their FTTC products look slow in comparison.

What would the max speeds UPC would offer with current setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

AdamD wrote: »
    I've checked 3 numbers that are all inside the green bits on their map and none of them come up with fibre power being offered?

This is regarding the dundrum area, if im in the green area and not eligible now does that mean I never will be?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

UPC could match and probably surpass the 150mb FTTH product with their existing DOCSIS 3 modems. They are currently using only 4 of the 8 channels that this modem supports, so higher speeds definitely possible.

They could also potentially increase the upload speed to at least match the FTTC product by using more channels if they wanted too.

That isn't to say they will, obviously they would need to make space for extra channels, but they certainly have the technical ability.

Also gigabit speeds are being sold on cable in other countries. Modern cable is theoretically capable of about 5 gigabit total bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Imagine 1TB per second broadband.....will that day ever come?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

chops018 wrote: »
    Imagine 1TB per second broadband.....will that day ever come?

Probably, it'll be a while though. Even if we had that now it would be pretty pointless. Your local network and computer would bottleneck it. No point having 1Tbps internet connection if your router only has 1Gb ethernet ports and your computers storage maxes out at 500MBps write speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

your computers storage maxes out at 500MBps write speed.

Assuming you have a brand spanking new SSD, and even at that, it'd probably be full in about a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

If I could just get that kinda speed to my external drive or NAS id be a happy camper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Alun wrote: »
    No 'inklings' required, here's the pricing ...

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/fibre/

More expensive than UPC, but upload speeds are much higher, handy for these 'cloud' oriented times.

Not too bad but still more expensive than UPC, better upload but much worse data allowance on the lowest product

So when Eircom launch Phase 1 , can other companies (such as Digiweb) piggy back off of it like they do with the copper infrastructure? or can eircom hog these Fibre lines and keep it all for themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Probably, it'll be a while though. Even if we had that now it would be pretty pointless. Your local network and computer would bottleneck it. No point having 1Tbps internet connection if your router only has 1Gb ethernet ports and your computers storage maxes out at 500MBps write speed.

It would make a nice change though...the local network bottlenecking the connection :-)

Advertisement