Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

DC may play for his local team next season too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Brain fart by Toomua.

It's pretty bad alright.

matthew8 wrote: »
    I hope the Reds can get at least a point against the Waratahs. Going to Christchurch would be terrifying for the Cheetahs, I'd feel much better against the Brumbies. Reds would be unfazed by the Crusaders, they always seem to beat NZ sides.

So, do you reckon your team can do the biz in Canberra? The first thing is not to give the Brumbies easy points thru penalties, force them to create tries. I reckon you have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

It's probably a match-up of the 2 worst teams left in the comp. They can definitely do it, and if they're on their game they should win because the Brumbies have frequently looked very average.

One thing that really annoys me is the time the games will be on at. Crusaders I can understand, but the timing of the Brumbies game is ridiculous. It should be on 3 or 4 hours later, as it is it's on at 4 pm Australian time, 6 am British time and 8 am SA time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Jacovs

It's probably a match-up of the 2 worst teams left in the comp. They can definitely do it, and if they're on their game they should win because the Brumbies have frequently looked very average.

One thing that really annoys me is the time the games will be on at. Crusaders I can understand, but the timing of the Brumbies game is ridiculous. It should be on 3 or 4 hours later, as it is it's on at 4 pm Australian time, 6 am British time and 8 am SA time.

Just to point out, SA and UK/Ireland are only 1 hour apart at the moment. So the Brumbies vs Cheetahs game is on at 7am here and 8am in SA. Not sure if the 1 hour later makes a difference, or makes it easier to get up for it. Also, its on at 6pm local Aus time.

Would you not rather have played the Reds? Id judge them the weaker side, and you already beat them once this year, bit of a psycological edge.

• Advertisement

Just to point out, SA and UK/Ireland are only 1 hour apart at the moment. So the Brumbies vs Cheetahs game is on at 7am here and 8am in SA. Not sure if the 1 hour later makes a difference, or makes it easier to get up for it. Also, its on at 6pm local Aus time.
    You're right about the British time, but I'm 99% sure it's on at 4 pm Australian time. Super rugby website is saying 6 am GMT (7 am BST) and 6 PM Australian time, which makes no sense. Planet-rugby has it right at 4 pm Australian time, which is GMT +8, unless it's actually on 2 hours later. You have to try and get up for the playoffs, but the great thing about watching super rugby in Ireland is you can just watch a recording without having to fear anybody telling you the result.
    Would you not rather have played the Reds? Id judge them the weaker side, and you already beat them once this year, bit of a psycological edge.

Beat them at home. Would be far less confident away. Far more class in that team than the Brumbies.

You're right about the British time, but I'm 99% sure it's on at 4 pm Australian time. Super rugby website is saying 6 am GMT (7 am BST) and 6 PM Australian time, which makes no sense. Planet-rugby has it right at 4 pm Australian time, which is GMT +8, unless it's actually on 2 hours later. You have to try and get up for the playoffs, but the great thing about watching super rugby in Ireland is you can just watch a recording without having to fear anybody telling you the result.

Beat them at home. Would be far less confident away. Far more class in that team than the Brumbies.
    It depends which Australian time zone they are working from. Theres a difference of 2 hours between Perth and Canberra. So game is on 4pm Western Australia, but 6pm Eastern Australia where the game is being played.
    Im in work saturday 5am-12pm so no rugby for me, will have to follow text commentary on my phone, then maybe watch repeats at home after.

Theres more class in the Reds, if their key players are firing on that day, but when they dont then the whole team is down. Brumbies are more consistent I think. Either way, if the Cheetahs are firing on the day then they can beat either.

Jacovs wrote: »
    It depends which Australian time zone they are working from. Theres a difference of 2 hours between Perth and Canberra. So game is on 4pm Western Australia, but 6pm Eastern Australia where the game is being played.
    Im in work saturday 5am-12pm so no rugby for me, will have to follow text commentary on my phone, then maybe watch repeats at home after.

Theres more class in the Reds, if their key players are firing on that day, but when they dont then the whole team is down. Brumbies are more consistent I think. Either way, if the Cheetahs are firing on the day then they can beat either.

It's actually 3 pm Perth and 5 pm Canberra/NSW. Think about it, East Australia is GMT +10, so 06:00 GMT translates to 16:00 in Canberra, plus the one hour will make it 5 pm.

It's actually 3 pm Perth and 5 pm Canberra/NSW. Think about it, East Australia is GMT +10, so 06:00 GMT translates to 16:00 in Canberra, plus the one hour will make it 5 pm.

lol these time zones seems to trip everyone up. Im checking the SuperXV website and on theirs it shows Kickoff in Australia (NSW/ACT) 18:10. Kick off in SA 08:10 and kick off in UK 07:10.

So according to them UK and Canberra is 11 hours apart, but really its only 9 hours at the moment.

4pm in Canberra kick off. Doesnt make a difference to the UK/Ireland kick off time at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

All this confusion over times puts me in mind of this classic scene. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Benji Marshall on his way to Union, Tahs and Blues been in contact apparently. Beale back at the Tahs whilst JOC in talks to return to Perth.

Benji Marshall on his way to Union, Tahs and Blues been in contact apparently. Beale back at the Tahs whilst JOC in talks to return to Perth.

Marshall will go to Blues I reckon, will want a shot at an AB jersey. Blues apparently chasing Beauden Barrett hard, which is a good move. Beale to Tahs was predictable, and I'd say JOC will take what he can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Marshall will go to Blues I reckon, will want a shot at an AB jersey. Blues apparently chasing Beauden Barrett hard, which is a good move. Beale to Tahs was predictable, and I'd say JOC will take what he can get.

Blues stated they'd play him 15, in direct competition with Piutau there, Ben Smith and Dagg for AB spot, Barrett would be incredible coup should they pull it off, Noakes was doing well earlier in the campaign but fallen away of late, could do with another 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

What's the story with Stephen Brett? Is he returning to NZ? I always thought he was a decent if unspectacular out-half.

Hagz wrote: »
    What's the story with Stephen Brett? Is he returning to NZ? I always thought he was a decent if unspectacular out-half.

Too much coin in Japan I suspect. He mixed attacking brilliance with woeful defence and poor option-taking at times. Not sure there'd be too much interest in him at SXV level, but he'd no doubt find a willing taker at ITM cup level.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How exactly does one pronounce 'Van Aswegen'? No matter how many times I hear it I can't figure out what sounds the commentator is making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Is it not a bit unfair on amateurs to be playing against Richie McCaw for crying out loud?

How exactly does one pronounce 'Van Aswegen'? No matter how many times I hear it I can't figure out what sounds the commentator is making.

Haha my gf cant do the g sound either. She says it sounds like we are trying to bring up phlem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

danthefan wrote: »
    Is it not a bit unfair on amateurs to be playing against Richie McCaw for crying out loud?

The guys he'll be playing against will be fairly fit, not like a pro now, but still be pretty tough.

I'd say they'd love it and it's only 1 guy too.

When I played U20's the games against UCD were frankly unfair due to the calibre of the Ireland and Leinster guys who were playing for UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The guys he'll be playing against will be fairly fit, not like a pro now, but still be pretty tough.

I'd say they'd love it and it's only 1 guy too.

When I played U20's the games against UCD were frankly unfair due to the calibre of the Ireland and Leinster guys who were playing for UCD.

My local team played against Keith Earls at U20 level when he was about 18, 20 mins in he had scored 3 tries and he went off, only losing by 10 points in the end. He was a different class

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    My local team played against Keith Earls at U20 level when he was about 18, 20 mins in he had scored 3 tries and he went off, only losing by 10 points in the end. He was a different class

You've put it right up to the G.O.A.T. there

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Jacovs wrote: »
    Haha my gf cant do the g sound either. She says it sounds like we are trying to bring up phlem.

It's not the G but the bit between the S and the G. I can speak fluent Dutch but that vowel combo is just beyond me :D

It's not the G but the bit between the S and the G. I can speak fluent Dutch but that vowel combo is just beyond me :D
    The "we"?
    Not sure how to explain how to pronounce it. Just that its not we lol

• Subscribers Posts: 41,137 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Reds versus crusaders starting now.

Cooper v carter alone is worth the viewing, but theres so much quality on the field I'm soo looking forward to this.

Oh and some young lad called mccaw on the bench for the crusaders....

Come on you boys in red & black, you boys in red & black!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ah it's nice to be relaxing in my nice air conditioned office watching Quade Cooper getting smashed a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Really nice line there from Crotty. Defender managed to turn himself inside out.

Really nice line there from Crotty. Defender managed to turn himself inside out.

He's had a fantastic season. He must be in the selectors minds for higher honours, but he's probably not quite there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

21-6 at the break with two fine tries from Crotty and Carter. Crusaders on fire and unlucky not to be further ahead. :D

• Advertisement

21-6 at the break with two fine tries from Crotty and Carter. Crusaders on fire and unlucky not to be further ahead. :D

Reds seem clueless, somewhat shell-shocked. Crusaders always seem to time their run nicely. Hopefully Cheetahs can defeat Brumbies, and avoid a Chiefs v Crusaders semi. When will Rutchie come off the bench?

(assuming there is no 2nd half revival from the Reds...)

Advertisement