Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Full match here for those that can't watch at work....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Fantastic news for the Bulls. Big challenge to win at Newlands, but if they can they just have to win at Loftus, which generally comes easily to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Full match here for those that can't watch at work....:D

Highlights for those with less time on their hands :p

Time for the real business of the day. Practically a knockout match between the Cheetahs and Blues in Bloem. Hurricanes-Highlanders was a 93 point cracker earlier.

Cheetahs game is very good. Classic South African try as the Cheetahs win a tighthead on the Blues 5 and the no. 8 picks and goes and he's under the sticks.

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    Cheetahs game is very good. Classic South African try as the Cheetahs win a tighthead on the Blues 5 and the no. 8 picks and goes and he's under the sticks.

35 minutes away from a deserved play-off spot...

Fair play to Raymond Rhule! Lots of covering to do, chases down and makes a try saver on Rene Ranger stopping a breakout. It's a wonder the Cheetahs are only up by 9.

Fair play to Raymond Rhule! Lots of covering to do, chases down and makes a try saver on Rene Ranger stopping a breakout. It's a wonder the Cheetahs are only up by 9.

Well done! In other news, Sharks are leading the Bulls. Talk about looking a gifthorse in the mouth - Crusaders knock over the Chiefs, so Bulls really should beat the Sharks, who are out of the running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I have the Bulls v Sharks game on mute in the background and I've only just copped that those guys are twins. I was like, 'wait, why are they showing highlights of him when he played for the Sharks....oh wait, he is playing for the Sharks, no wait, he's playing for the Bulls, wait what...?'

Haha go Sharks, a shame Vermaak got them ahead but a good chance here.

• Advertisement

Sharks penalty to win the game...

Sharks penalty to win the game...

Ah nuts! Bulls go to the top :(

Bottler! Well he shouldn't have had to take it anyway, 3rd choice kicker. Very good crowd at Loftus. Usually games involving either the Bulls or the Stormers are to be avoided like the plague, but next week's game between them is huge.

If the Bulls can win next week, you'd give the Crusaders a good chance at Loftus (imagine if Carter kicked a winning drop goal and gave the one finger salute like Mehrtens) in the playoffs but no one else really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Atta boy Zane K, get used to winning :D

Bottler! Well he shouldn't have had to take it anyway, 3rd choice kicker. Very good crowd at Loftus. Usually games involving either the Bulls or the Stormers are to be avoided like the plague, but next week's game between them is huge.

If the Bulls can win next week, you'd give the Crusaders a good chance at Loftus (imagine if Carter kicked a winning drop goal and gave the one finger salute like Mehrtens) in the playoffs but no one else really.

Yeah, the Crusaders are probably the only team capable of winning the SXV away from home. It should be a good knockout series.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Atta boy Zane K, get used to winning :D

Steady on there son, Bulls took out SXV in 2007, 2009 & 2010, he was involved with the team in the last 2 I think.

Ah, he's an OK signing for Leinster, I'm sure he'll do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Sharks threw that away with their subs. Taking off Bismarck, Deysel and Alberts meant they were without any of their best ball carryers for the last 20. Bulls were pretty poor but eeked out a result as Lambie/Viljoen had a mare from the kicking tee. There's not a lot to the Bulls, their scrum wasn't up to much and Keegan Daniel (all 6 foot 2) of him stole and disrupted their lineout for the last 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Steady on there son, Bulls took out SXV in 2007, 2009 & 2010, he was involved with the team in the last 2 I think.

Ah, he's an OK signing for Leinster, I'm sure he'll do fine.

I kid my Franco-Kiwi-Gaelic friend, I kid. He was part of the Saffer squad that beat the Lions if I remember correctly. He should be well used to winning if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

RaboDirect Rebels ‏@MelbourneRebels
    NEWS | The @RaboDirectAU Rebels have declined the opportunity to offer James O’Connor a further contract beyond 2013.

So where next for JOC, back to the Force or maybe the Tahs. I can not see him going abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    So where next for JOC, back to the Force or maybe the Tahs. I can not see him going abroad.

Brumbies??? they were trying to sign him before melbourne

Brumbies??? they were trying to sign him before melbourne

Where would he fit in? They have Toomua at 10, Lealiifano at 12, Speight and Tomane on the wings and Mogg at 15. They do not really need him.

Where would he fit in? They have Toomua at 10, Lealiifano at 12, Speight and Tomane on the wings and Mogg at 15. They do not really need him.

True, say the same at the Tahs, Barnes Foley and Folau filling the 10/12/15 channels. Would be detrimental to his career to go back to perth, the Reds possibly his best option?

JOC is best as a wing, when he goes there he's probably more prominent than at OH tbh. The Reds already have some wingers, so do the Brumbies, Force already have Cummins who's a similar sort of winger, Waratahs are the obvious choice.

JOC is best as a wing, when he goes there he's probably more prominent than at OH tbh. The Reds already have some wingers, so do the Brumbies, Force already have Cummins who's a similar sort of winger, Waratahs are the obvious choice.

Reds lacking a 15 next season with jono lance going to melbourne, would be a better 12 than tapuai and faingaa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Was in work for all the SA teams' games. Wouldve made for a very interesting last week if the Cheetahs had lost, but im glad for them.
    If the top 6 teams all get their 4/5 points in the last week then the Cheetahs and Reds have some difficult away games ahead.
    I really want the Stormers to beat the Bulls, for pride, but by less than 7 points so the Bulls can keep their top spot and avoid slipping to 3rd and a Bulls vs Cheetahs knock out game.

I hope the Reds can get at least a point against the Waratahs. Going to Christchurch would be terrifying for the Cheetahs, I'd feel much better against the Brumbies. Reds would be unfazed by the Crusaders, they always seem to beat NZ sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Jacovs

I hope the Reds can get at least a point against the Waratahs. Going to Christchurch would be terrifying for the Cheetahs, I'd feel much better against the Brumbies. Reds would be unfazed by the Crusaders, they always seem to beat NZ sides.

If you are hoping to stay in 6th then you better hope the Stormers dont win by more than 7.

So Tony McGahan is the new Rebels coach.

http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/News/ArticleDetails/tabid/270/ArticleID/9762/Default.aspx

Good choice, Hill did well but Rebels have to progress towards playoff contenders rather than being happy winning a few games a year. Whether McGahan can accomplish that in two years is another question, but I would be hopeful that the Rebels continue their upward trend.

• Advertisement

So Tony McGahan is the new Rebels coach.

http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/News/ArticleDetails/tabid/270/ArticleID/9762/Default.aspx

Good choice, Hill did well but Rebels have to progress towards playoff contenders rather than being happy winning a few games a year. Whether McGahan can accomplish that in two years is another question, but I would be hopeful that the Rebels continue their upward trend.

Despite the scrumming humiliation in Test 3, Aussie rugby is on the improve. I expect McKenzie will be a better selector than Deans was, and with the right XV Aussie will be the equal on their day of any team in world rugby. Pool A in 2015 really is mouthwatering...imagine if Aussie & Wales progressed at the expense of England! If the Aussies can find a couple of decent props, Eng & Wales will need to find a plan B to win. I wasn't nearly as impressed by the Lions win as some of the British press - I mean any side that has no scrum base whatsoever should always lose, so I don't really think it proved too much. In some ways, it was amazing that Aussie managed to claw back to 16-19, in spite of all that.

Advertisement