Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Great game and I really thought we were in for extra time. Who's be a place kicker? :D

Bloody unlucky, he was. I was really hoping for extra time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Horrible game in every way. I was hoping they'd bring Watts on for the kick at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

When are the finals?

Semi-finals next week, final in 2 weeks time. Should be Bulls-Crusaders in the final, which would be an absolute cracker.

.ak wrote: »
    When are the finals?

Semis next week (both on Saturday), final week after.

• Advertisement

Might try and catch the 'saders game in the wooldshed...

Might try and catch the 'saders game in the wooldshed...

I'd join you (its 8.35am, I think), but have to work :(

Edit: actually I could go in to work after the game...

That early? I wonder if they'll be open for it. I watched the 2011 final there, it was good craic.

That early? I wonder if they'll be open for it. I watched the 2011 final there, it was good craic.

2nd thoughts, huh?! Don't blame you... :p

I reckon they'll probably be open as there has to be a few Kiwis floating around Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

Looking like a Bulls v Crusaders final. In South Africa by virtue of their weak conference boosting their placing.

• Advertisement

Klunk_NZ wrote: »
    Looking like a Bulls v Crusaders final. In South Africa by virtue of their weak conference boosting their placing.

Their conference isn't weak - only the Kings were easybeats. On the other hand the Highlanders and Canes weren't much good this year, and the Blues faded badly...

Their conference isn't weak - only the Kings were easybeats. On the other hand the Highlanders and Canes weren't much good this year, and the Blues faded badly...

The only NZC team not to beat the Crusaders or be in the top 6 at any stage was the highlanders.

The only NZC team not to beat the Crusaders or be in the top 6 at any stage was the highlanders.

Crusaders also lost to Rebels of course. That is a better reason for their position on table.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Can anyone explain the promotion and relegation in the SA conference in simple terms? It seems the Lions play the Kings for a super xv place but I don't see why that is regardless of how the lions do in the Currie cup... Or is there no connection between the two competitions? Is it like zebre playing in the h cup regardless of how they do in the rabo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Can anyone explain the promotion and relegation in the SA conference in simple terms? It seems the Lions play the Kings for a super xv place but I don't see why that is regardless of how the lions do in the Currie cup... Or is there no connection between the two competitions? Is it like zebre playing in the h cup regardless of how they do in the rabo?

SuperXV promontion relegation has nothing to do with Currie Cup. The Kings didnt even play in the Currie Cup premier division and they were put in the SuperXV at the Lions' expense, who do play Currie Cup premier division. Its a **** up on SARU's side. They made promises regarding SuperXV that werent theirs to make. Now the bottom placed SA side has to play promotion/relegation with the Lions. If it was the Stormers, Sharks, Cheetahs or Bulls who ended bottom of the SA conference it wouldve been them playing the Lions.

Bulls beat 3 of 4 NZ teams they played this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

matthew8 wrote: »

They didn't play the strongest NZ team, the Chiefs, who is something that erks me about the SuperXV comp. The No.1 and No.2 team in the league didn't play each other.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    They didn't play the strongest NZ team, the Chiefs, who is something that erks me about the SuperXV comp. The No.1 and No.2 team in the league didn't play each other.

Yeah, each team "avoids" 1 team from the other conferences in the round robin. Not sure it's easily fixed with the current format. TBH, I expect the SXV to expand quite a bit post 2015, and with SANZAR determined not to lengthen the season, I think there'll be a lot more regional games, with winners moving forward to play-offs etc, maybe with a few cross-conference games in the regular season.

matthew8 wrote: »

Bulls are good I don't believe it was denied, but they have an easier conference and in turn an easier route to collect points.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does anyone else have an irrational hatred of the bulls?

• Advertisement

I like the Bulls away from home as a Crusaders Supporter it is always a laugh.

Bulls are good I don't believe it was denied, but they have an easier conference and in turn an easier route to collect points.

But then why did Chiefs finish top of the standings?

An intense dislike. It's not irrational, they have some of the most unsavoury fans in the competition...and Pretoria is supposed to be a kip. Not that I was particularly impressed by the tiresome booing of QC by Crusaders fans, it was a bit like kids in the school playground, and pretty pathetic really.

But then why did Chiefs finish top of the standings?

Because they are the defending champions and were the form team of the comp.... again.

An intense dislike. It's not irrational, they have some of the most unsavoury fans in the competition...and Pretoria is supposed to be a kip. Not that I was particularly impressed by the tiresome booing of QC by Crusaders fans, it was a bit like kids in the school playground, and pretty pathetic really.

Nah, you pay your money you are entitled to do whatever you like (within reason). That was Quades 1st game in Chch following his repeated attacks of Richard GOAT McCaw and should have been expected.

Crusaders have 1/3 of the world 15(Read, Richie GOAT McCaw,Carter, Dagg, Whitelock), should be a cracker vs the chiefs.

Nah, you pay your money you are entitled to do whatever you like (within reason). That was Quades 1st game in Chch following his repeated attacks of Richard GOAT McCaw and should have been expected.

Crusaders have 1/3 of the world 15(Read, Richie GOAT McCaw,Carter, Dagg, Whitelock), should be a cracker vs the chiefs.

Your myopism reminds me why I don't miss Chch, even if I spent most of my life there, and support the Crusaders. I'm not sure if you live in Ireland, but the silence for the kickers is much more impressive than the booing of the lowest common denominators that you get in NZ.

In my experience to date, only a segment of Munster supporters (with a mention for leinster_goy on PR) can match a segment of Crusaders supporters for one-eyed subjective parochialism.

Don't let it stand in the way of a good argument, though.

Anyway, we both wish the Red 'n' Blacks good luck for the weekend, I'm pretty confident the Chiefs will be easily accounted for, who have flattered to deceive this season IMO.

Here I thought Newlands was the BOO capital of rugby.

Btw, also do not like the Bulls.

Jacovs wrote: »
    Here I thought Newlands was the BOO capital of rugby.

Btw, also do not like the Bulls.

Lions v Kings coming up. Surely Lions will win & give JHB a team again in the SXV.

Lions v Kings coming up. Surely Lions will win & give JHB a team again in the SXV.

I think the Lions will win too. I hope they do. Even though they werent performing in SuperXV for a long time, it wasnt right how they were kicked out. Hopefully it was the wake up call they needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Hou by die blou

Advertisement