Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 liamo66

plodder wrote: »
    Those sports partnerships are exactly where the funding should be coming from, in my opinion. It's a relatively small amount of money - it's one off, and there's a huge bang for their buck, in terms of impact.

We have met with the Local Sports Partnership who will issue a request for financial funding for the Marlay parkrun in their 2013 budget submission. We will not be able to raise all our funding through this channel and are current seeking additional funding from the local business community. Plan C is to hold a table quiz if we feel that we can generate enough interest.
    You would think that this would be a great scheme for local and central government to support considering the reports in the media recently regarding the obesity epidemic currently sweeping Ireland and the long term health cost that it will incur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I don't know if this is a good idea, but what about setting up some sort of PayPal account so people could donate to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Major Dad

Cracking run this morning. Bit frosty in places but I did a new PB of 21m50s according to Garmin. Mind you, it said I only ran 3.06m !! This run just keeps getting better and better.
    On a more serious note, if funding hasn't come through or is an issue, I'd be more than happy to drop €10 in a bucket at the Christmas run on Dec 22nd. If everyone made a donation, no matter what size, it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 liamo66

Major Dad wrote: »
    On a more serious note, if funding hasn't come through or is an issue, I'd be more than happy to drop €10 in a bucket at the Christmas run on Dec 22nd. If everyone made a donation, no matter what size, it might help.

We are working on raising funding through other channels. I would be very reluctant to ask runners for a contribution at a parkrun event. One of the core principals of parkrun is that it is free and participants are not put under any financial pressure at events. We may have to tap into the running community but it would most likely be through a table quiz or some other fund raising activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Would Tesco nutgrove let you do a bag packing day ? Have seen schools etc do it to raise funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

A big thank you to all at the frosty parkrun this morning! Dragged a friend along and we both had a great time, lovely course, and finally getting my running mojo back. Not quite a PB, but close!
    My first outing for my brand new Boards AC shirt aswell - noticed a couple more there, but was too shy to say hello, maybe next time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

A big thank you to all at the frosty parkrun this morning! Dragged a friend along and we both had a great time, lovely course, and finally getting my running mojo back. Not quite a PB, but close!
    My first outing for my brand new Boards AC shirt aswell - noticed a couple more there, but was too shy to say hello, maybe next time:)

Hey there, pansophelia, welcome back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

murphd77 wrote: »

Second that!

I didn't make it out this week and Christams party on Friday so not going to make it next weekend. Hope to be out on 22nd though and I'll make a point to wear my Boards AC top so please say Hello

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

murphd77 wrote: »
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Second that!

I didn't make it out this week and Christams party on Friday so not going to make it next weekend. Hope to be out on 22nd though and I'll make a point to wear my Boards AC top so please say Hello

Thanks murphd, It's nice to be back! I'm hoping to be there on the 22nd too RedRunner, with boardsac top and a Santa hat, will say hello!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

I know two of the volunteers were wearing them this week. I'm quite jealous as they look really good! Anyway, make sure you say hello next time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

plodder wrote: »
    I know two of the volunteers were wearing them this week. I'm quite jealous as they look really good! Anyway, make sure you say hello next time :)

+1 on say Hello, I was one of the Vol team with a BAC shirt but it was underneath as I was running LSR earlier and put a heavier top on over it after to stay warm. I'll be like Batman and wear the essentials on the outside next time!

I see that this week's winner Philip O'Doherty of Clonliffe Harriers is the new Age Graded record holder. Congrats to Philip.

I was doing the registration after the race and had the pleasure of checking in Phena an ex work buddy I'd not seen for 15 years, ye never know who you'll meet. Go Parkrun!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Nice to put a face on a few boardsies on Sat.

I met Walkedit and Fifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Think I might head along to this on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

I hope to head to this on Saturday morning. I'll make sure to wear my Boards.ie shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kerrydee

rom wrote: »
    Would love to help to set this up in Cork. There is a this grant http://www.corksports.ie/index.cfm/page/newsarchive/id/272 and I think there is another similar one also that could be applied for. Probably something like leisureworld (which is run by the city council) could get involved also as they just held a 10k recently. Probably not the best time of the year to be starting this but defo the time of the year to start getting the wheels in motion. Personally I would not know where to start but I am willing to offer my time and effort in getting it off the ground.

I ran my first Parkrun at the weekend in Sheffield and found it a great experience and such a fantastic idea. It would be great to have something like this up and running in Cork so would be happy to try and help get it set up if there were enough people willing to volunteer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

(1) If the cafe in Malahide are willing to offer a discount on the Tea/Scones for the runners, ask them to charge full price and put the difference to the Marlay Park Run fund.
    Once the target is raised, then revert to offering the runners a discount?

(2) Sale of 'Ireland Park Run' tee-shirts/Vests.

(3) Once off 5k run with a €10 charge. All proceeds to Marlay Park run. - Then Marlay do a once off 5K event to fund the next Park Run site etc etc.

Hi,

I've run all 5 Malahide runs thus far and would be happy to drop a bit of cash to help get another run set up elsewhere. In regard to a one off event, a 10k with entry fee might be better as it could incorporate more of the castle grounds and it would have the 'event' feel to it would be a longer-than-usual-run.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭runsir

Over in London for the weekend so going to drop down to the Brockwell 5K on Saturday morning. Very handy just turning up with the barcode at any parkrun event. Heard its hilly enough so sub 17 might have to wait until the new year in Malahide :P

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AJAYC

A huge well done to Michael et al for a great race this morning in mighty Malahide. Good course with a few tight corners & a friendly, welcoming atmosphere. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh thanks guys...really enjoyable race although doin that uphill section 3 times :-( first time I barely noticed it, 2nd time I was feeling the pain and by the 3rd time it was torture particularly as I was expecting the finish line to be at the brow of the hill...that extra 100m nearly killed me ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Great event today, my first (and certainly not last) parkrun. Really enjoyed it, and i put in a good performance too. Happy days. Fair play and thank you to the organisers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Forgot to review this race... ran this on Saturday. Well done to all involved in organising, it was great!
    (especially the discounted scone/coffee!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Major Dad

Missed last week's run, losing my ever-present status !! Anyway, presume there's a run tomorrow morning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Yeph, they mentioned on facebook a while ago that they woul be running up until Christmas but I'm not sure about the 29th December, will have to check tomorrow

yep, it's on every Sat, including the 29th, unless of course the Mayan apocolypse gets us over the next 12 hours..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

That was fun! I stood looking out my window for a good 20 minutes this morning trying to talk myself into going or not going. I'm glad I did now, really enjoyed that. Good turnout too I thought given the conditions overnight. My time was slower than my previous effort, but it was a swamp in places! Thanks as ever to the organisers and volunteers and happy Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 agreenyblue

Suggestions.
    1. At the start, walk the group in a big loop around (to the right of) the big tree on the green, that way you get everyone behind the start line and more spread-out lengthwise.
    2. Send people off at 20 second intervals in 2 or three groups The path is too narrow for a large group. It would save the grass and potential slips, and encourage people to start from the right spot. A sub 20 and sub 25 group should do it.

3. Anyone running, bring a spare pair of shoes and socks.

Thanks very much to all the volunteers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

mickmc7 wrote: »
    That was fun! I stood looking out my window for a good 20 minutes this morning trying to talk myself into going or not going. I'm glad I did now, really enjoyed that. Good turnout too I thought given the conditions overnight. My time was slower than my previous effort, but it was a swamp in places! Thanks as ever to the organisers and volunteers and happy Christmas!

Definitely a different course to the one I did a few weeks ago. In today's conditions you could almost call it a 5k XC race ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

1st Park Run today. Really great event. Very well organised for a free event and a nice course. Even with the rain lately, it was wet, but I expected worse.
    There was a large number of volunteers today, the starting and finishing pieces were fine, no issues from me.
    With the weather etc I didn't expect a PB, but finished 24 secs outside a PB and still sub 20.

Suggestions.
    1. At the start, walk the group in a big loop around (to the right of) the big tree on the green, that way you get everyone behind the start line and more spread-out lengthwise.
    yes, thought about that before. Its only the last couple of weeks that it has got congested at the start. I didn't think it was too bad though. But, if the numbers build up again in the new year, we'll probably do it.
    2. Send people off at 20 second intervals in 2 or three groups The path is too narrow for a large group. It would save the grass and potential slips, and encourage people to start from the right spot. A sub 20 and sub 25 group should do it.
    Problem is we only time each person at the finish. So, everyone has to start together.
    3. Anyone running, bring a spare pair of shoes and socks.
    When it's been raining the night before, yes definitely!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Is much of this course on grass? I don't mind running on grass but when it's rained a lot, it can be very slippy.

Advertisement