Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I'll be there tomorrow! Looking forward to it as only just getting back into shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Hoping to make this tomorrow. Is the run all on paths or is any of it off road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Hoping to make this tomorrow. Is the run all on paths or is any of it off road?

Most of the paths in Malahide are tarmac or gravel/trail type surface. From reading someone report from last week I think it is all on paths apart from 200M on grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

How many numbers can they take?seems like this is going to be massive in the coming weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

How many numbers can they take?seems like this is going to be massive in the coming weeks.

They have about 1000 each week at the Bushy parkrun, which was the first ever event with something like 5 people running the first one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuvagW6qMmY

Very impressive finish chute organisation they have there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Planning of running and setting the course record? Heard there maybe a bit of a race tomorrow to set a faster time .

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

shels4ever wrote: »
    Heard there maybe a bit of a race tomorrow to set a faster time .

I think you are thinking about the parkrun in Melbourne who have an olympian trying to break the worldwide parkrun record of 13.48..

Also, regarding the course, the majority is on paths/gravel with a very small bit as you cross the field on the 2nd lap

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

zefer wrote: »
    I think you are thinking about the parkrun in Melbourne who have an olympian trying to break the worldwide parkrun record of 13.48..

Also, regarding the course, the majority is on paths/gravel with a very small bit as you cross the field on the 2nd lap
    The Parkrun Ireland winning times from last week are pretty soft. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people turned up to try to set a benchmark. Would've done it myself until I saw Shels's post. :)

zefer wrote: »

Nope Malahide, first few last week were using it as a training run, but should see a time a couple of mins faster tomorrow i think.

The Parkrun Ireland winning times from last week are pretty soft. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people turned up to try to set a benchmark. Would've done it myself until I saw Shels's post. :)
    You should still show up tomorrow ;) no point picking easy race wins :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

shels4ever wrote: »
    You should still show up tomorrow ;) no point picking easy race wins :)
    Would love to, but from where I live, getting to a race in deepest darkest Wicklow is more convenient, than getting to Malahide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Was hoping to make this tomorrow but I've picked up a bit of an injury that needs some rest. Will hopefully get to run this soon though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Peckham

Sounds like we might have a bit of a race on our hands tomorrow. I have the timekeeper job tomorrow, so puts a bit more pressure on that role. :)

Over 700 registered now which is amazing.

Anyone running, please come over and say hello....and join us for coffee afterwards....and volunteer!

robinph wrote: »

Very impressive finish chute organisation they have there.

Wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Over 200 runner this morning and I hear several runners beat the old course record. Lovely morning for it too. Thanks for organising it lads. Hope to see you regularly over the next few months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That is seriously impressive to get that many people out and running again in only the second week. Well done again guys for getting this off the ground. Think there may have been someone from my club over running it this weekend as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

robinph wrote: »
    That is seriously impressive to get that many people out and running again in only the second week.

Think it probably shows how many people read the forum as well, don't think it was really 'advertised' other than this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Major Dad

Ran 23.38 last week. Decided to try and do 23.20 today so set up the Garmin. Felt good most of the way through the run and finished in 22.43, according to my Garmin. Well happy !! Don't know what I'll do next week though !! Cracking morning, lovely course, great gang. Thanks to all the organisers and I promise I'll volunteer soon !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I made my way out this morning.

Alas, the northside defeated me and I was 10 minutes late. Was hoping they would still have some organisational niggles to iron out but nope, it seems it started bang on time.

Ran the course anyway and it’s very impressive. Really picturesque, some lovely wooded areas and a stunning morning for it. Two thumbs up from me.

Yet another glorious sunny morning in Malahide with perfect running conditions. 216 finishers with a new course record of 16:30 - two others I think went sub-17 (which is the "elite level" for Parkrun).

Good to see a few boardsies there (I could hear the "I'm X from Boards" conversations going on behind me when I was working the stopwatch on the finish line).

Irish Independent were there also, so hopefully some positive coverage in Fit magazine coming soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great job lads - did the run this morning, brought along a friend who did his first run in 20 years (and only finished a minute behind me.)

Great course, great organisation, great weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Great fun- really top class to all involved in organizing. Finished 9th in 18 15 or so after my 8 month layoff. Delighted to be back racing and happy enough after only a few weeks of ok training

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Brewski78

It's a lovely run, fair play to the organisers, will definitely be running again and hope to volunteer soon too. Hopefully more of these events will pop up over the country too!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

I did the run again and again it was really good - I highly recommend it, >200 finishers with 2x sub 17m, now >700 are reg'd to run so it's success looks assured. I was intent on not pushing after last week's PB run so I brought Jacob (Black Lab X) along and he ran with me on a short lead. In the fun spirit of Parkrun our furry friends are welcomed. He was the first (only) dog home! Thanks to everyone who 'Liked' him at the run. I'm proposing him as Parkrun mascot for Malahide! I may even have to register him?

I even managed to combine running with volunteering and met all the team which was nice as well.

It's official I Love Parkrun - it could be a great bumper sticker!
    Roll on next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Very impressive this morning lads. Just shows you what can be done by a few like minded people. Nice course with plenty of variation including a nice little rise that has to be negotiated 3 times.

Got round in 21:12 by my garmin which is a pb by 84 Seconds. Thanks to Meno for the pacing. Definitely kept me going.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Made the 'trek' to the northside for this and really enjoyed it (even if did get V confused at the end as to where I was going and stopped short of the line :p, thanks guys for all the organising
    liamo66 wrote: »
    We are making great progress on getting a parkrun going in Marlay Park, we need some more help from volunteers at this point. Anyone interested in getting involved please pm me.

This closer to my neck of the woods so be great to see one there & happy to help out if can. Will pm you

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭runsir

Fair play for the organisation lads. Absolute credit to all involved. How do you do the times? Do you record them manually at the finish and log them? I can see how the token system works for the positions.

Will be back before Christmas I'd say. Will definitely help out in a few weekends time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

runsir wrote: »
    Fair play for the organisation lads. Absolute credit to all involved. How do you do the times? Do you record them manually at the finish and log them? I can see how the token system works for the positions.
    You possibly didn't notice the timer guy. He clicks each person on a timer as they cross the line. The data from the timer is uploaded onto the laptop as well as the information from the scanners. The software links the list of times with the list of names that were scanned (and their positions).
    Will be back before Christmas I'd say. Will definitely help out in a few weekends time.
    Thanks. Appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Registered for this as sounds like great fun..unfortunately clasehes with kids football so will be hoping matches are called off this weekend so that I can make my debut at Malahide :)

• Advertisement

For those who don't see our Facebook updates, we have secured a parkrun deal with Avoca Cafe & Store on discounted coffee, cakes and scones. More details to be announced at the pre-run briefing tomorrow.

Yum-tastic!

Advertisement