Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭plodder

G-Money wrote: »
    Is much of this course on grass? I don't mind running on grass but when it's rained a lot, it can be very slippy.
    No, it's all on paths. There is a section of about 500 metres on rough trail that gets a bit muddy/wet in bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AJAYC

Is much of this course on grass? I don't mind running on grass but when it's rained a lot, it can be very slippy.

The trail element is very brief & I would have forgotten about it but for your question, enjoy your Parkrun(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 47 agreenyblue

Follow up suggestion:

There are several forking paths. Start two groups 100m along paths that converge. Sub 25 to one path, the rest to the other. The loudspeaker and hooter would manage this no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Follow up suggestion:

There are several forking paths. Start two groups 100m along paths that converge. Sub 25 to one path, the rest to the other. The loudspeaker and hooter would manage this no problem.

I think you are forgetting the spirit of parkrun, agreenyblue. It's not about the most efficient way to race. It's about participation. And if you want to race it, you do so under the same conditions as other parkruns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Saw Fit magazine tweet that the Marlay Park ParkRun was very close to being up and running. I wonder did they get the extra funding they needed...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jarrow

Hi,

Any news on a Cork parkrun?

I am recently arrived and having run a few parkruns in the UK I would like to continue here. If anyone is looking into organising a local run then I would be more than happy to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 liamo66

jarrow wrote: »
    Hi,

Any news on a Cork parkrun?

I am recently arrived and having run a few parkruns in the UK I would like to continue here. If anyone is looking into organising a local run then I would be more than happy to help out.

parkrun have posted a reply to a similar post on the parkrun Ireland Facebook site, apparently they have funding for 2 parkruns in Cork and need local volunteers to get them up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jarrow

liamo66 wrote: »
    parkrun have posted a reply to a similar post on the parkrun Ireland Facebook site, apparently they have funding for 2 parkruns in Cork and need local volunteers to get them up and running.

Thanks, I have just posted there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I see Eoin O'Callaghan broke the course record on Saturday (16:01). Next step is for someone to go Sub 16. Looks like a big turnout as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

Like many I have done the BHAA races, the Raheny summer and winter series, the numerous road races etc but the Parkrun for a free event is brilliant. Email after with place, time, position, league standing, AG rating.
    Course in Malahide has 3 climbs and is challenging but the standard was very high. Not sure what is going to happen iif it increases further in numbers as it was very crowded at front of field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Ran the Parkrun in Wimbledon Common on Saturday morning, great event for free, but it was a serious cross country affair. All on park paths, but some of them were just pure mud. Have just about managed to get my clothes clean, though I still have to get the trail shoes hosed down.
    Boy was I glad I brought them - one look at the conditions & I switched from my road shoes.

I see it as a great event for the non-club runners, but would be wary it would take from local club races here in Ireland.
    What it could do though is really hit the charity runs, there's simply not enough room for all those races and some of the prices they charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I did my first parkrun in Malahide on Saturday. It's a great event and one I hope to continue with.

I parked at the car park near the playground. Loads of spaces at that hour of the day, and a short walk to the gathering area.

Being unfamiliar with the set-up, I left myself too near the back; the first K, or so, was spent overtaking and sidestepping.

I ended up going out too fast and paid for it in the last K. Still managed a faster time than I expected.

I am intrigued how the bar code works. I was given a time within a second of the time on my watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

TarfHead wrote: »
    I did my first parkrun in Malahide on Saturday. It's a great event and one I hope to continue with.

I parked at the car park near the playground. Loads of spaces at that hour of the day, and a short walk to the gathering area.

Being unfamiliar with the set-up, I left myself too near the back; the first K, or so, was spent overtaking and sidestepping.

I ended up going out too fast and paid for it in the last K. Still managed a faster time than I expected.

I am intrigued how the bar code works. I was given a time within a second of the time on my watch.

The stopwatch is clicked each time a runner crosses the line. The scanners pair xeach runner's position to their individual parkrun ID. Stopwatch and scanner are connected to a PC and the files are uploaded to the parkrun site. The runner IDs are sorted by position and matched to the list of times.

It all depends on the person with the stopwatch paying attention and keeping an accurate count if a group come in together, likewise the person with the tokens has to make sure everyone in the chute gets a token and nobody switched position in the chute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Record numbers last week. It will be interesting to see numbers tomorrow with the poor weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Any news on Marley parkrun?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

:D:D:D

We had to run through what I can only describe as a pond yesterday!

Part of the route was flooded but it was fun to run through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

dechol wrote: »

This. Very interested.

dechol wrote: »

Marlay parkrun still work in progress, will post as soon as we have something concrete to report

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Just listening to Parkrun Show podcast and the audio clip with Plodder was corrupt, so we didnt get to hear it! You should get Danny Norman to skype you Michael to re-record! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭scheister

only came across this forum now. there is talk of marley park been a 2nd dublin venue for it and a cork venue any talk of other places in dublin and Ireland been looked at?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

zefer wrote: »
    Just listening to Parkrun Show podcast and the audio clip with Plodder was corrupt, so we didnt get to hear it! You should get Danny Norman to skype you Michael to re-record! :)

thats a pity - hopefully the event gets more airtime as it grows.

Tom Williams from MT was doing a Parkrun roadshow a couple of months ago - he went all round UK & NI.
    Parkrun Ireland should invite him to Malahide or even Marleys 1st event.......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hadn't actually listened to the parkrun show before, but was actually pretty good even if they did get peoples names wrong. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Peckham

robinph wrote: »
    Hadn't actually listened to the parkrun show before, but was actually pretty good even if they did get peoples names wrong. :D

Danny seemed quite puzzled on Saturday as to how there could be two names with pretty much the same spelling but yet pronounced completely differently (Michael and Micheal). Was amused last night when I heard him go with the Russian pronunciation rather than the Irish one!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Peckham wrote: »
    Danny seemed quite puzzled on Saturday as to how there could be two names with pretty much the same spelling but yet pronounced completely differently (Michael and Micheal). Was amused last night when I heard him go with the Russian pronunciation rather than the Irish one!

Shows how much attention I was paying over the years as I never even noticed that they were spelt differently. :D

I thought it was just people being awkward with the pronunciation. ;)

Marlay parkrun will hold their first event on Saturday 9th March @9:30am. The Marlay parkrun facebook page is up, parkrun site with registration will follow in late Feb. Start-up funding was provided by Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Marlay parkrun will hold their first event on Saturday 9th March @9:30am. The Marlay parkrun facebook page is up, parkrun site with registration will follow in late Feb. Start-up funding was provided by Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council.

Well done to all involved in setting this up! Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Marlay parkrun will hold their first event on Saturday 9th March @9:30am.

Brilliant - will be great to have a second parkrun available to mix it up a bit. Well done to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

The Marlay parkrun facebook page is up, parkrun site with registration will follow in late Feb. Start-up funding was provided by Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council.

Is the registration not the same as the Malahide race? I would have thought that once you are registered with ParkRun, your details would be valid for any of the venues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

can someone link me to the marlay park run facebook page please, can't seem to find it, thanks

• Advertisement

statss wrote: »
    can someone link me to the marlay park run facebook page please, can't seem to find it, thanks

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marlay-parkrun/146693202152615

Advertisement