Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Ososlo wrote: »
    apologies if this has been asked before but I've searched the thread and can't find an answer.
    If I want to run Saturday, do I need to do anything (register etc) before the run? I'll have my printed barcode in my pocket. What time should I arrive before the race?
    Many thanks

Just turn up at about 9:15am to be safe. There is no on-the-day registration, everyone just scans their barcode at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

apologies if this has been asked before but I've searched the thread and can't find an answer.
    If I want to run Saturday, do I need to do anything (register etc) before the run? I'll have my printed barcode in my pocket. What time should I arrive before the race?
    Many thanks

Just turn up and run!

At the end, try to stay in the order that you finish, you'll be handed a token.
    At the end of the funnel, someone scans your token and barcode.

That's it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

Many thanks
    It's interesting how finely people time their arrival, with barely seconds to spare, but if you haven't been before, 9:15 is probably a good time to get your bearings.

Check the following page for details of car parking etc. Be careful (if driving) as one of the car parks is not free. One runner got a 40 euro ticket there a few weeks ago. :(

http://goo.gl/maps/Bo6lh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

plodder wrote: »
    It's interesting how finely people time their arrival, with barely seconds to spare, but if you haven't been before, 9:15 is probably a good time to get your bearings.

Check the following page for details of car parking etc. Be careful (if driving) as one of the car parks is not free. One runner got a 40 euro ticket there a few weeks ago. :(

ha! thanks for the parking tip! That would be one expensive Parkrun day out!
    How is the course these days? Is it quite water logged still? Bound to be I suppose with the deluges we've been having recently!

I parked in the non-free carpark once. When I finished the race and sat back into the car I realised that I had not paid for that one hour... and then saw a chap in a blue coat walking around peering into windows...

That was a lucky day.

• Advertisement

ha! thanks for the parking tip! That would be one expensive Parkrun day out!
    How is the course these days? Is it quite water logged still? Bound to be I suppose with the deluges we've been having recently!
    The serious water (per photo) is gone. Last Sat there was only puddles and a muddy path for about 500 metres.

I parked in the non-free carpark once. When I finished the race and sat back into the car I realised that I had not paid for that one hour... and then saw a chap in a blue coat walking around peering into windows...

That was a lucky day.
    you actually get an hour free, but you have to take a ticket from the machine. And that's what seems to cause the confusion. I think the issue is that this carpark is right beside the DART station so it's being used by commuters etc. better to use the free one anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

The serious water (per photo) is gone. Last Sat there was only puddles and a muddy path for about 500 metres.
    sounds good! That photo was scary:( The runners looked happy though!
    Hope to be able to help out the odd Saturday after I've made my debut:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

sounds good! That photo was scary:( The runners looked happy though!
    Hope to be able to help out the odd Saturday after I've made my debut:)

You will love it.Guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

RedRunner wrote: »
    You will love it.Guaranteed.
    Walkedit wrote: »

I have too much time on my hands at present so I'm doing a little PR, come on over and visit with us on Parkrun Malahide Facebook page on http://www.facebook.com/MalahideParkrun to share the Love on Vally's day, and boost our site stats in the process.

Likes/Comments/Shares please

Any we'll Love ye for it. Happy Valentines day everyone!:D:D
    http://www.facebook.com/MalahideParkrun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭rom

How do peoples Malahide times the last week or two with the water compare to a flat 5k on the road ?

rom wrote: »
    How do peoples Malahide times the last week or two with the water compare to a flat 5k on the road ?
    The water in that photo was 3 weeks ago and it hasn't been like that since. You can check people's times on the results page, but I don't see it making much of a difference (to runners who just ploughed through it). Fwiw, one of the faster guys says in normal conditions the course is about 25-30 seconds slower than a flat road race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭scheister

would people on here be interested in seeing a limerick venue set up for parkrun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

scheister wrote: »
    would people on here be interested in seeing a limerick venue set up for parkrun

Not really :D

if there's a park to run it in, then I'd say people will be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭scheister

if there's a park to run it in, then I'd say people will be interested.

yea meeting a group during the week to see if it is possible to set one up in Limerick. Decided to see if there was interest on here for it if it did get set up

• Registered Users Posts: 26 liamo66

Takes just one person with some drive to make it happen, mark it out and they will come.

We are holding an informal trial run for the Marlay parkrun this Saturday 2nd March @9:30 am. The start is behind Marlay house facing on to the concert field. If you are interested in coming along to run the course pm me. We will not have the timing equipment on site but will attempt to record times using a smart phone and post results on the Marlay FB site.

liamo66 wrote: »
    We are holding an informal trial run for the Marlay parkrun this Saturday 2nd March @9:30 am. The start is behind Marlay house facing on to the concert field. If you are interested in coming along to run the course pm me. We will not have the timing equipment on site but will attempt to record times using a smart phone and post results on the Marlay FB site.

Best of luck guys:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Does anybody know if there is anything happening with a Phoenix parkrun?

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there is anything happening with a Phoenix parkrun?
    last I heard was the OPW are worried about the large number of events already in the park.

That makes sense, especially with the Marathon race series taking place in Phoenix Park every year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

From the most recent parkrun newsletter, which I'm not sure if you guys would get or not:
    At present there are seven parkruns in Northern Ireland which, with the exception of Portrush, are concentrated east of the river Bann. Up until now the trend has been that parkrunners, who have been travelling to a particular parkrun and volunteering, have shown a desire to start another parkrun, usually closer to their home address. This type of growth, which we can refer to as organic growth, is ideal, as it nurtures teams of passionate volunteers, who are already well versed in the parkrun ethos and au fait with the technicalities of running a weekly event. These teams can quickly establish strong communities in new locations.

Recently however, I have been very fortunate in receiving an offer of funding for eight new events but it comes with a time frame. So rather than letting new teams grow naturally, I will need to agree locations and then canvas teams in the different localities. There is however a precedent, as when parkrun was commissioned to deliver an event in every one of the London boroughs. So we can be assured, that if managed well, this approach will deliver excellent events. The new teams probably will not be seeded by experienced people from a nearby established parkrun but will basically be asked to take a leap of faith. This is where the existing communities can help.

Each new event will have its own Facebook page before going live. Can we ask you, as someone who is familiar with parkrun, to look out for these pages when they are created. Please can you post on their timeline about the journey they are about to undertake and something about your own parkrun experiences. I believe that if we all get behind the new teams, then in 12 months’ time, parkrun will be accessible to all our communities, reaching to all parts of Northern Ireland and into a large part of Southern Ireland too.

Happy parkrunning,
    Matt Shields, Event Director of Waterworks parkrun and parkrun Ireland Country Manager

Seems from that as if there is funding to cover the island and they are looking to get more setup in as many places as possible quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

last I heard
    But actually hearsay means nothing at all. I'd say anyone actually willing to take on a Phoenix Parkrun would get a hearing :-)

murphd77 wrote: »
    But actually hearsay means nothing at all. I'd say anyone actually willing to take on a Phoenix Parkrun would get a hearing :-)

Yes they did get a hearing and as plodder says they were told the park has too many events

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Heliotrope

I see that, as of today, there's a new course record of 15:49 at Malahide parkrun. Also looks like there was an attendance record too.

Seems to be going from strength to strength with a new parkrun at Marlay park starting next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Peckham

Heliotrope wrote: »
    I see that, as of today, there's a new course record of 15:49 at Malahide parkrun. Also looks like there was an attendance record too.

Seems to be going from strength to strength with a new parkrun at Marlay park starting next week.

And an attendance record too. 6th highest out of all parkruns this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Peckham wrote: »
    And an attendance record too. 6th highest out of all parkruns this week.

So Mick is now the course record holder and age grade record holder. Just looking at Parkrun stats Mick was second in age graded ranking worldwide this week at 91.78%, but in true parkrun style the highest ranked by age grade was a lady in 75-79 age bracket at 92.07%!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Just checking out the Marlay park course and seems like a really good fair route, maybe not the fastest though, looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Is there somewhere to leave a bag while running?

Advertisement