Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Couple of tips in relation to the latest Bookface post:

If you happen to have access to a laminator maybe through work, discretely make use of it and laminate a copy of your barcode for a waterproof and sweatproof number.

If you do not have a barcode or do not want your time recording then do not run through the finish chute at all, otherwise the guy on the finish line will record your time, but then the positions and times will get messed up in the results when some people don't take a finish token and get their place and barcode scanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I guess this kind of thing has been happening since parkrun began?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Hi - going to give this as lash tomorrow, couple of questions please -

- Is there somewhere to leave a bag at the start line?
    - Do I have to carry my barcode with me as I run, or can i go back to my bag and get it after crossing the finish line?

Will report back, sounds like a great initiative. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

miguelk wrote: »
    Hi - going to give this as lash tomorrow, couple of questions please -

- Is there somewhere to leave a bag at the start line?
    - Do I have to carry my barcode with me as I run, or can i go back to my bag and get it after crossing the finish line?

Will report back, sounds like a great initiative. thanks.

Good questions!

1) you can leave a bag at the place where we meet, which is the finish line. We then jog over to the start. Don't leave anything of value in your bag, as we can't take responsbility for that, though there should be someone at the finish area most of the time.

2) Actually best NOT to carry the barcode with you, as it will probably get all sweaty and makes it hard to scan. For people who don't have bags with them, we'll (hopefully) have a box where you can leave the barcode till you finish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

plodder wrote: »
    Good questions!

2) Actually best NOT to carry the barcode with you, as it will probably get all sweaty and makes it hard to scan. For people who don't have bags with them, we'll (hopefully) have a box where you can leave the barcode till you finish.

Just make sure you get your finishing token before you head off looking for your barcode :)

Excellent. Ya will just have a an extra layer of clothing and barcode in the bag (no gold/jewels) and at my own risk etc etc, no problem.
    Thanks Pistol & Plodder

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

First outing for me this morning and a beautiful morning for it. A well run event and it's great to see the numbers out even with Jingle on in the park. Definitely would recommend this to all and a huge thanks to the organisers and volunteers. It was also great to see such a variance of runners and pace out there.

Discounted coffee and scone after were great for reviving me. Hopefully this will be a regular for me and I would hope to volunteer also soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 irishviewer

sorry if this been already be answered as i have n ot read all 11 pages of this but was wondering is there park run in south dublin?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

sorry if this been already be answered as i have n ot read all 11 pages of this but was wondering is there park run in south dublin?

thanks

Apparently there should be one ready to go in the new year in Marlay Park. There is reference to this earlier in the thread. Not sure how to add link but here is copy.
    liamo66 wrote: »
    There are a group of volunteers currently working on Marlay Park, we are making good progress. We are trying to get the start up funding in place and hope to be up and running within a few weeks once fully funded but it will be sometime in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 irishviewer

thanks cant wait to see that happening in marlay park..

thanks for posting

RedRunner wrote: »
    Apparently there should be one ready to go in the new year in Marlay Park. There is reference to this earlier in the thread. Not sure how to add link but here is copy.

Ran on Sat, well organised, great buzz about the place and really enjoyed it.
    The setting is great at the castle with the park/playground etc, great to bring the family along.
    Its a nice course, most of it is tarmac, and the trail bits are grand actually.
    Barcode system is genius, received my time in the afternoon Sat.
    Great way to start the weekend.
    Keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Looking forward to my debut in a few weeks.

How does the barcode and timing system work? Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

There is a group working on a Marlay Parkrun. There's a private Facebook page, called Marlay parkrun project. Anyone wishing to join can email Liam McCambridge at liam.mccambridge@gmail.com, or just ask for an update. At the moment I believe they are sorting out the route and attempting to find funding. They are hoping to start up sometime in the new year.

Looking forward to my debut in a few weeks.

How does the barcode and timing system work? Thanks in advance.
    FAQs here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

davedanon wrote: »
    There is a group working on a Marlay Parkrun. There's a private Facebook page, called Marlay parkrun project. Anyone wishing to join can email Liam McCambridge at liam.mccambridge@gmail.com, or just ask for an update. At the moment I believe they are sorting out the route and attempting to find funding. They are hoping to start up sometime in the new year.

Out of curiosity how much funding is required for each location?
    And in what way does the sponsor get their moneys worth?
    Note: I am not fishing for a business deal, just curious nosey!

belcarra wrote: »
    Out of curiosity how much funding is required for each location?
    And in what way does the sponsor get their moneys worth?
    Note: I am not fishing for a business deal, just curious nosey!

The start-up funding is approx 3,500 euro to pay for equipment etc. That is one off and typically in the UK at least, is provided by the local councils where the events are located. What do they get from it? Over there, I understand they have targets for getting people active in their local areas, and this helps them achieve that. It's small beer to be honest considering it's only one-off. Running costs are pretty minimal then and additional private sponsorship covers that. It also pays for the participation awards etc. But, we aren't at that stage here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 liamo66

Set up costs are €7500 however parkrun will cover half the set up cost leaving each local parkrun to raise approx €3750. We are currently working on raising the funding for Marlay Park, still a bit short, all suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Why don't people run their next marathon raising money for this. Personally I think its a great cause as it benefits the health and well being of so many.

(1) If the cafe in Malahide are willing to offer a discount on the Tea/Scones for the runners, ask them to charge full price and put the difference to the Marlay Park Run fund.
    Once the target is raised, then revert to offering the runners a discount?

(2) Sale of 'Ireland Park Run' tee-shirts/Vests.

(3) Once off 5k run with a €10 charge. All proceeds to Marlay Park run. - Then Marlay do a once off 5K event to fund the next Park Run site etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭runsir

(1) If the cafe in Malahide are willing to offer a discount on the Tea/Scones for the runners, ask them to charge full price and put the difference to the Marlay Park Run fund.

(3) Once off 5k run with a €10 charge. All proceeds to Marlay Park run. - Then Marlay do a once off 5K event to fund the next Park Run site etc etc.
    This.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'd imagine this would have to be approved by parkrun HQ, they may object to the notion of charging for a parkrun.

There are donation links on the pages for the UK parkruns where 85% of each donation goes towards your local/ chosen event and the remainder goes towards the pot of money used to help setup new parkruns.

hardCopy wrote: »
    I'd imagine this would have to be approved by parkrun HQ, they may object to the notion of charging for a parkrun.

Doesn't have to be a 'ParkRun' - just an organised run in support of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

How did the Malahide organisers fund the start-up? Did the local authorities chip in?

murphd77 wrote: »
    How did the Malahide organisers fund the start-up? Did the local authorities chip in?
    In the end, no. For Malahide, we applied for funding from a competition run by Coca-cola (mentioned a few pages back). It took quite a few months for that to go through the motions, and parkrun decided that Malahide (being the first location) would go ahead regardless of how that turned out. So, in the end, it was funded entirely by parkrun, as we didn't get anything from the Coca-cola thing. So, we never really (properly) approached the council for funding. But, there are other parks in Fingal. So, we'd be hoping for funding from the council for other locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I was going to suggest getting in touch with the people behind this
    http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=939&pid=23773
    but they're South Dublin Co Co, and Marlay is Dun Laoghaire Rathdown? Still, they may help, or point you at someone else who has some cash.

Would love to help to set this up in Cork. There is a this grant http://www.corksports.ie/index.cfm/page/newsarchive/id/272 and I think there is another similar one also that could be applied for. Probably something like leisureworld (which is run by the city council) could get involved also as they just held a 10k recently. Probably not the best time of the year to be starting this but defo the time of the year to start getting the wheels in motion. Personally I would not know where to start but I am willing to offer my time and effort in getting it off the ground.

rom wrote: »
    Would love to help to set this up in Cork. There is a this grant http://www.corksports.ie/index.cfm/page/newsarchive/id/272 and I think there is another similar one also that could be applied for. Probably something like leisureworld (which is run by the city council) could get involved also as they just held a 10k recently. Probably not the best time of the year to be starting this but defo the time of the year to start getting the wheels in motion. Personally I would not know where to start but I am willing to offer my time and effort in getting it off the ground.
    Those sports partnerships are exactly where the funding should be coming from, in my opinion. It's a relatively small amount of money - it's one off, and there's a huge bang for their buck, in terms of impact.

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »
    Those sports partnerships are exactly where the funding should be coming from, in my opinion. It's a relatively small amount of money - it's one off, and there's a huge bang for their buck, in terms of impact.
    Also HSE community health scheme is another avenue to follow. I know that they are involved with walking groups here in Cork. It costs prob the same as one night hospital stay to set up. If there were community health stats for one of the long standing UK ones and how it impacts positivly on the community health compared to areas where it does not exist then it would strengthen the case for funding.

Advertisement