Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

RedRunner wrote: »
    Registered for this as sounds like great fun..unfortunately clasehes with kids football so will be hoping matches are called off this weekend so that I can make my debut at Malahide :)

Kids matches are off so I'll be there in the morning for my first ParkRun.. Can't wait to try it out!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

Kids matches are off so I'll be there in the morning for my first ParkRun.. Can't wait to try it out!:D
    You could bring the kids with you. A bit of aerobic training for them, wouldn't do the football any harm at all... :)

plodder wrote: »
    You could bring the kids with you. A bit of aerobic training for them, wouldn't do the football any harm at all... :)

I agree. When they get a bit older I'll be using them as my own personal pacers :D

Thanks to all organisers and helpers today. Enjoyed my first ParkRun . I'll definitely be back again .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I gave it a go this morning. Really enjoyed it. Great set up, very well organised.
    Lovely to have done a decent run on a Saturday at a time when I would usually be still in the cot!

This is a great initiative and hopefully it will prosper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Well done to Plodder, Peckham and the growing hoard of volunteers.

This was my first chance to actually run it. Turns out I'm sorely lacking fitness after a period of post marathon lethargy.

At least now I have a parkrun PB I can keep chipping away at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Thanks to all organisers and helpers today. Enjoyed my first ParkRun . I'll definitely be back again .

Nice to see you this morning... Hope you had a good run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Twas my first time, and certainly not my last, running this race yesterday. Great event, well run and accurately measured. Couldn't ask for better. Well done and thanks to all involved.

I was banging on all day about my 18 second PB as had 19:39 on the watch but I suppose I'll take the official 17 seconds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Peckham

You folks have got to start introducing yourselves!

That was me doing the pre-run briefing and scanning barcodes after, and plodder was handing out finishing tokens. Say hello next time!

Peckham wrote: »

That was me doing the pre-run briefing and scanning barcodes after, and plodder was handing out finishing tokens. Say hello next time!

Will do...:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Will do if you give me free entry.

Oh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Just registered :D can't wait to give this a go on Saturday. Was suppose to go yesterday but apparently I should have checked the calendar.

Parkrun Malahide hit 1000 registrations this evening!

claralara wrote: »
    Twas my first time, and certainly not my last, running this race yesterday. Great event, well run and accurately measured. Couldn't ask for better. Well done and thanks to all involved.

I was banging on all day about my 18 second PB as had 19:39 on the watch but I suppose I'll take the official 17 seconds ;)
    I've been wondering if the course is PB'able. So, it's good to see people doing it. When we measured it I figured it was quite flat, but actually there is a slight incline to get over (3 times :) ) Nothing too serious though, I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Parkrun Malahide hit 1000 registrations this evening!

I ran the 1st run but have been unable to get back since but was wondering with the explosion in numbers how soon before a second site will be in place to take some of the demand? I know you guys are probably working on it and an actual date is probably unavailable but would it be this side of xmas?

Also wondering will it take away from Jingle Bells crowd on Sat...debating whether to go for the fast course or the free course!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 liamo66

There are a group of volunteers currently working on Marlay Park, we are making good progress. We are trying to get the start up funding in place and hope to be up and running within a few weeks once fully funded but it will be sometime in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

it great you enjoyed it, all the Vols have enjoyed being a part of making it happen, your kind words are appreciated.

Nice run and at that time as well as a PB am I right that it made you
    First Wonan home!
    Great going for your first Parkrun.

Go you

PS i was manning the other scanner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

A little bird told me you finished just behind me, claralara. I was home in 19.27, my first parkrun and definitely not my last. I'm doing Jingle Bells this week, but after that my calendar is pretty free. Actually, my other option was to join the Marlay gang for a recce over on the southside, but an actual race was more appealing. I think I spoke to some of you organisers afterwards. I'll say no more, clara, except that a certain person from the north will be looking anxiously over his shoulder next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

Thanks to the organisers and volunteers of the Malahide park run, well done it was great achivement and a credit you all. :D
    I have just compleated my C25K program and this was my first 5K run and it was a nice run. So thanks you very much. I may have been my first but hopefully not my last. I will try and make as many as I can but I live west of the Shannon and it a 3+ hour trip to Dublin.
    It good to see how many people have registered, and the large crowd that turned up for the run mind you to me it looked nearer to 400 who ran.

Mind you I was less than half way when the leader was finished, so a bit to go ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

plodder wrote: »
    I've been wondering if the course is PB'able. So, it's good to see people doing it. When we measured it I figured it was quite flat, but actually there is a slight incline to get over (3 times :) ) Nothing too serious though, I hope.

I ran a 42 sec PB on Saturday, so definitely PB-able! I think it's a relatively flat uncongested course.

Thanks again for organising it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Thanks to the organisers and volunteers of the Malahide park run, well done it was great achivement and a credit you all. :D
    I have just compleated my C25K program and this was my first 5K run and it was a nice run. So thanks you very much. I may have been my first but hopefully not my last. I will try and make as many as I can but I live west of the Shannon and it a 3+ hour trip to Dublin.
    It good to see how many people have registered, and the large crowd that turned up for the run mind you to me it looked nearer to 400 who ran.

Mind you I was less than half way when the leader was finished, so a bit to go ;)

Fair play to you ultra_other, I thought I was doing well getting to Malahide on time from the Southside of Dublin !

West of the Shannon to Malahide..wow that's dedication to your running!

There are plenty of Parkrun "tourists" who try to run as many different events as possible. So far we've had a few people travel over from UK (at least one who flew in an hour before the run, and flew out later that day), and last Saturday we were visited by the Event Director of Wellington Parkrun in New Zealand running in his 40th different event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Should this not be in the events section :confused:

Should this not be in the events section :confused:

It's not really an event, it's a series of regular runs, soon to be in various locations.

The closest parallels would be the BHAA and IMRA threads, which are both in the main forum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

hardCopy wrote: »
    It's not really an event, it's a series of regular runs, soon to be in various locations.

The closest parallels would be the BHAA and IMRA threads, which are both in the main forum.

Exactly what I was about to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Was wondering myself if the parkrun would take from the bhaa but going on last weekend great turnout in both events.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Was wondering myself if the parkrun would take from the bhaa but going on last weekend great turnout in both events.

From my limited experience of BHAA and parkrun I'd say there's enough difference for the two to co-exist.

BHAA has a variety of distances and courses that change every week, you have a regularly updated league table and you have the element of representing your company and your colleagues.

parkrun seems to be more geared towards regular participation than placing. Tee-shirts are awarded for 50, 100 and 250 runs etc. There is a year-end league table which I obviously haven't seen yet which scores on placings as well as on the number of times you volunteer.

That's just my take on what I've seen so far.

hardCopy wrote: »
    From my limited experience of BHAA and parkrun I'd say there's enough difference for the two to co-exist.
    Yes, I think they appeal to different crowds for the most part.
    BHAA has a variety of distances and courses that change every week, you have a regularly updated league table and you have the element of representing your company and your colleagues.

parkrun seems to be more geared towards regular participation than placing. Tee-shirts are awarded for 50, 100 and 250 runs etc.
    or they would be, if we had sponsorship, which we don't yet .. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

West of the Shannon to Malahide..wow that's dedication to your running!

Not that dedicated yet ;), I was away with work and spent an extra night in Dublin on the way home, as I did not want to miss the opportunity to take part in the Malahide Park run :D, but I did have the 3+ hours drive home!

Advertisement