Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 liamo66

Aimman wrote: »
    Is the registration not the same as the Malahide race? I would have thought that once you are registered with ParkRun, your details would be valid for any of the venues?

If you have already registered for Malahide there is no need to register again. Any one who has not yet registered with parkrun can register with Malahide or wait until the Marlay site is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Aimman wrote: »
    Is the registration not the same as the Malahide race? I would have thought that once you are registered with ParkRun, your details would be valid for any of the venues?

Afaik, once you have a barcode, you can use it anywhere, including the Uk races.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

menoscemo wrote: »
    Afaik, once you have a barcode, you can use it anywhere, including the Uk races.

...or Australia, or Poland, or Iceland, or ...etc.

If you are already registered for Malahide then it is also possible to change your "home" event to another one through the parkrun website once they are setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

menoscemo wrote: »

That's what I thought. Just seemed unusual they they were saying that registrations will be open later. I'd hate to have to laminate another batch of bar codes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well of course there are people who will want to register for the first time, with Marlay Park as their "home" parkrun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Excellent news on the Marlay Pk set up;

well done Liamo66 in getting it up & running and credit to Dun Laoghaire Rathdown CoCo for understanding the potential & popularity of the event in commiting the funding for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Peckham wrote: »
    Danny seemed quite puzzled on Saturday as to how there could be two names with pretty much the same spelling but yet pronounced completely differently (Michael and Micheal). Was amused last night when I heard him go with the Russian pronunciation rather than the Irish one!

Sounds like I need to give this a listen (Parkrun Show)and see just how bad a mangling:eek: I got! He should have consulted the Parkrun Communications guy - oh wait that's Danny!

robinph wrote: »
    Shows how much attention I was paying over the years as I never even noticed that they were spelt differently. :D

I thought it was just people being awkward with the pronunciation. ;)
    So you thought that was just the Gaeilgeoirí being a bit precious - honestly!

It is Great news about Marlay though, having seen 377 running in Malahide it's arrived at the perfect time to spread the load and still have two great big runs. I won't be surprised if there is a bumper turnout there with the new blood and lots of those already on it wanting to try the new flavor.

Go Parkrun

Is Mise le meas
    Mícheál

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

npresto wrote: »
    :D:D:D

We had to run through what I can only describe as a pond yesterday!

Part of the route was flooded but it was fun to run through.

Hey all – I’m a bit late getting to this but just wanted to say that the lady who ran in Malahide last weekend (who was running her 117th Parkrun or something mental like that!) won the ladies race. The results have me as first lady down but unfortunately I can’t claim it this week. Adventure racing is clearly not for me… and certainly not after a month off running and an excessive/gluttonous Christmas! :D As always, it was a great run. Well done and thanks for everything guys.

Really looking forward to Marlay getting up and running too. It’ll be easier to do my volunteering duties locally :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hi Claralara, wasn't it Annette Kealy from Raheny who was first lady? Slim lady with dark hair & glasses wearing compression socks? She was definitely there on the start line and she has run it before in 18:xx so I thought she was the leader?

How's your back? Maybe see you at the Raheny five if it's on the mend?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AJAYC

Another great morning in Malahide, a few water obstacles added to the challenge earlier, well done to all those who make these races happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭plodder

AJAYC wrote: »
    Another great morning in Malahide, a few water obstacles added to the challenge earlier, well done to all those who make these races happen.
    Thanks AJ. We're going to try out a small change to the route next week, to avoid the worst of the water, as it looks like it might be staying around for a while.

[edit] PS Well done to "drquirky" who came first today!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

AJAYC wrote: »

Water? What water?

8417153651_8aa3dc0c1c_b.jpg

Oh dear, I fecking hate running in squelchy shoes!

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Hi Claralara, wasn't it Annette Kealy from Raheny who was first lady? Slim lady with dark hair & glasses wearing compression socks? She was definitely there on the start line and she has run it before in 18:xx so I thought she was the leader?

How's your back? Maybe see you at the Raheny five if it's on the mend?

I just picked up on this. Fair play Claralara for saying it's not you!
    There are two names missing from the early finishers. The missing time #11 overall (ladies #1 if a woman) is between 18:45 and 19:20 so its' well in Annette's range as ladies course record holder at 18:15. I've also been told that her fella may have been the number #2 man I think it's is Eoin Brady, who has run 16:38 & 16:43 both less then the missing time of >16:54 and <17:21. So this may be a family #1/#2 that's been missed. I'll see can we reach out to them to check it out and fix it if possible.

From the more recent event on 26th Jan, Here's how it went, sadly this was not from the wet bit. Look out for little Jamie, only 7 and now with 18 Parkruns done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Do the points tables on parkrun.ie have any significance or are just a friendly rivalry ting?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Do the points tables on parkrun.ie have any significance or are just a friendly rivalry ting?

Friendly rivalry mostly, but I think that most of the UK parkruns actually have Sweatshop vouchers as a prize for the people who top the male and female tables when the yearly anniversary for each run comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Irishman99

In my local one in London they give out prizes at the end of a year (sponsored by local sports store and running clubs) for the top 3 in Mens and Womens. It's a good incentive to get people to turn up at their local run as usually it's not the faster runners who claim these prizes!

Walkedit wrote: »
    From the more recent event on 26th Jan, Parkrun Malahide Youtube Video of how it went, sadly this was not from the wet bit. Look out for little Jamie, only 7 and now with 18 Parkruns done!

I thought afterwards that Jamie warranted a finish pic also

8423147759_b3d823531a.jpg

ah bless, Little Jamie and Dad Jason finishing Parkrun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I'm totally not trying to be a jerk and I mean nothing judgemental by this but I'm not sure it's super wise to be putting lots of mileage on that young a child's legs? Open to correction of course

3 miles a week is not a lot of miles for anyone, and if the kid doesn't like it they will stop. An hours worth of running around the playground at school and they could easliy cover that distance. Now if they were doing 15 miles runs every other day of the week then it's a different matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

robinph wrote: »
    3 miles a week is not a lot of miles for anyone

Yeah it's barely a walk in the park...

Yeah it's barely a walk in the park...

Not really for a seven year old....worth a look at this page anyways- its a kids running page presented by Runner's World and doesn't exactly recommend doing 18 5ks at 7 yrs old....

http://www.kidsrunning.com/ask/75K09030808.html

Look I'm all for running and getting kids exercising but my guess is its best to keep them to slightly shorter distances until they develop in their bodies...

drquirky wrote: »
    Not really for a seven year old....worth a look at this page anyways- its a kids running page presented by Runner's World and doesn't exactly recommend doing 18 5ks at 7 yrs old....

http://www.kidsrunning.com/ask/75K09030808.html

Look I'm all for running and getting kids exercising but my guess is its best to keep them to slightly shorter distances until they develop in their bodies...

Firstly congrats on a great run on Sat, I was on reg at finish and took this as you brought it home! Sorry it's a bit fuzzy!

8423148073_825e5f5367.jpg

Dr Q coming as first finisher at Parkrun #12 in Malahide

Regarding Jamie - I had a read on the linked info, it's always valid to ask if kids are doing too much and might they be living out Mammy & Daddy's dreams? I'm a Parentasarus (kids all >18) so it's not something I have to grapple with anymore but in this case IMHO it all looks good.
    • The 18 runs are over 20 months (starting May '11) so average is 1 per month and that seems to be the reality as evenly spread monthlys. ( I don't know if he is training as well - but I'm assuming not)
    • There are 9 different courses so it's clearly a travel odyssey as well as the runs, in fact time are not that progressive - still Jamazing for 7! and best is <60% for age (what's with the tyke's that set that standard , it may be U14 level?)
    • These are runs and not races so definitely not all max effort against the clock
    • For Malahide they started at the back and finished well back at 195/6 out of 209
    • Clearly Jamie was very relaxed at end, was having a great trip with his Dad, and had been carried across the big puddles

Jamie's Parkrun Summary

I think this is the official policy:
    Parents of children under 13 should note the following: We must make it clear that official guidance does not recommend that children under 13 race at the 5 km distance. Their participation in our events should therefore be for fun, and we urge all parents, guardians and coaches of children under 13 not to put them under undue pressure to perform. Children aged 10 and younger must be accompanied throughout the run by a parent or guardian.
    and
    Our general rule of thumb, however, is that we prefer to see our younger runners smiling when they cross the finish line. There's plenty of time when they get older for pain and suffering.

I think it's great, as a parent to a 7yr old I'd be delighted if Jnr came running. It is clear from the video & photos that he certainly came across the finish line smiling and his parents are obviously cool with it;

He's earned hours in front of the playstation for doing that kind of running.!

Walkedit wrote: »
    Firstly congrats on a great run on Sat, I was on reg at finish and took this as you brought it home! Sorry it's a bit fuzzy!

8423148073_825e5f5367.jpg

Dr Q coming as first finisher at Parkrun #12 in Malahide

Regarding Jamie - I had a read on the linked info, it's always valid to ask if kids are doing too much and might they be living out Mammy & Daddy's dreams? I'm a Parentasarus (kids all >18) so it's not something I have to grapple with anymore but in this case IMHO it all looks good.
    • The 18 runs are over 20 months (starting May '11) so average is 1 per month and that seems to be the reality as evenly spread monthlys. ( I don't know if he is training as well - but I'm assuming not)
    • There are 9 different courses so it's clearly a travel odyssey as well as the runs, in fact time are not that progressive - still Jamazing for 7! and best is <60% for age (what's with the tyke's that set that standard , it may be U14 level?)
    • These are runs and not races so definitely not all max effort against the clock
    • For Malahide they started at the back and finished well back at 195/6 out of 209
    • Clearly Jamie was very relaxed at end, was having a great trip with his Dad, and had been carried across the big puddles

Jamie's Parkrun Summary

Yeah thanks for that Walked it and Plodder- pretty much agree with your sentiments- just 7 seemed very young thought I'd ask the question....Cheers for the picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AndyFC

Hi,

Can somebody explain how each runners race time is recorded at the Parkrun Malahide?

This Saturday 10th Feb I completed the 5k race and if I remember correctly when i crossed the finish line I received a small green chip. I then joined a queue and my chip and my barcode was scanned together. Lastly I gave my name to the person who wrote it into a book which I assume is the race log?

However my race time it was explained to me could not be recorded because while my name was written into the book no race number could not be written next to it.

Question is the small green chip a race number which must be memorised after we receive it after crossing the finish line?

It's only my second Parkrun race - the first was last year in November I think. But at that time I can only remember getting my barcode scanned and afterwards getting an email with my race time and placing.

Thanks, Andy

Andy. will PM you. Answer to general question here

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AndyFC

Thanks Plodder for your reply.

I have emailed Malahide just now.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

apologies if this has been asked before but I've searched the thread and can't find an answer.
    If I want to run Saturday, do I need to do anything (register etc) before the run? I'll have my printed barcode in my pocket. What time should I arrive before the race?
    Many thanks

Advertisement