Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

great to hear that parkruns are starting in ireland, i was in england during the summer for work and took park in the parkrun in my area every saturday while i was there a great buzz every time i took part. going to try get to the irish run nxt sat. will my barcode work here that i got in england?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Is it not the same bar-code whatever Park-run race you do? I registered for the Manchester Park Run and rememer reading that I shouldn't ever register again (just make sure to bring the bar-code with you)?
    If you registered with a UK code then you should be good to go, it does let you change your home parkrun at a later date when they have that setup. I just changed mine to the new one that starts outside my front door this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

http://www.parkrun.ie is live now and the "Register" link points to the correct page. If you have previously registered on the UK site, then afaik, you can't switch to the .ie on the website - at least I wasn't able to do it.. I think you need to send an email to updates@parkrun.com providing all your details and requesting that. But as already pointed out, you don't need to do this to be able to run. The barcodes from all countries work everywhere.

As regards the malahide page that robinph found, that is (or will be) the page for the Malahide event. Not all the information on it is 100% correct (the parking/transport info mainly). I'll be putting detailed correct info on the Facebook page later. So, that should be referred to initially at least until we get the other page right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ponner

Great work to get this up and running. Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done on this morning's event, which seemed to be pretty well attended. I had printer difficulties and so didn't have a barcode but I went along anyway (late!) and ran most of the course, which is a very decent track. It might be an idea for future runs to have a sign somewhere in the main car park pointing the way to the starting line - it took me a good while to find it.

Great work - I'll be back with the barcode next time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Well done to all involved. Definitely will try makea few of these over the coming months. Great way to do a Saturday tempo run. Is there a timeline for their roll out in other locations. The early start and travel distance makes then a little tough for me to get to due to family commitments but hopefully will be more flexible soon. By the way this is not me volunteering to set up a Park run on the south side :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

TRR wrote: »
    Well done to all involved. Definitely will try makea few of these over the coming months. Great way to do a Saturday tempo run. Is there a timeline for their roll out in other locations. The early start and travel distance makes then a little tough for me to get to due to family commitments but hopefully will be more flexible soon. By the way this is not me volunteering to set up a Park run on the south side :)
    So parkrun corkagh is on the way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

TRR wrote: »
    By the way this is me volunteering to set up a Park run on the south side :)
    Fair play, TRR. Could you set it up in Shanganagh Park, as that would be most convenient for me?

Well done, Plodder, Peckham and any of the other volunteers. Great to get this off the ground. Really hope to make it out some day. How many participants did you get on your first outing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Fair play, TRR. Could you set it up in Shanganagh Park, as that would be most convenient for me?

Well done, Plodder, Peckham and any of the other volunteers. Great to get this off the ground. Really hope to make it out some day. How many participants did you get on your first outing?

Think there of reports of 150+ from some people. Great to see this get underway and fair play to everyone involved in getting this off the ground. Will certainly look to get out even just for tempos etc when I can

(PS tRR, club has a nice enough 5k route in Tymon just saying :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

murphd77 wrote: »
    It might be an idea for future runs to have a sign somewhere in the main car park pointing the way to the starting line - it took me a good while to find it.

There actually was a sign in the main carpark beside Avoca but probably wasnt in best position for people to see it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 liamo66

We are making great progress on getting a parkrun going in Marlay Park, we need some more help from volunteers at this point. Anyone interested in getting involved please pm me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've updated the first post with links to parkrun.ie and the Malahide Facebook page so that new people coming across the thread can easily find them.

The results from todays first event show 159 finishers with quite a few people who had traveled south to take part, and even a few who seem to have headed over from Leeds direction:

http://www.parkrun.ie/malahide/results/latestresults/

Great to see this have started now, well done guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Peckham

robinph wrote: »
    quite a few people who had traveled south to take part, and even a few who seem to have headed over from Leeds direction:

[

Travelling around different ParkRun events seems to be a big thing for some people. Was speaking to a Kiwi after the race run who had flown over from London solely to run today's event!

Will have to make a pilgrimage to the spiritual home of ParkRun (Bushy Park, London) to see how it's all done there (900-1,000 participants each week).

Peckham wrote: »
    Travelling around different ParkRun events seems to be a big thing for some people. Was speaking to a Kiwi after the race run who had flown over from London solely to run today's event!
    :eek: I didn't realise that. It's a pity we didn't have more time to chat to some of these people.
    Will have to make a pilgrimage to the spiritual home of ParkRun (Bushy Park, London) to see how it's all done there (900-1,000 participants each week).
    Was talking about the tourism thing last night. There's a new parkrun in central London called Burgess, which is apparently a really nice place to visit if you're in the area.

On the signs etc for Malahide, there's four different carparks. So, it's hard to put signs in each of them. We're trying to get people to use one particular carpark and there's a map on the facebook page showing the directions from there. But, we definitely should put the sign in the main carpark in a more prominent location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Really enjoyed it today, thanks very much!

We had 159 runners, out of 400 registrations approx, which is normal enough apparently. The 400 people will turn up sooner or later, but not necessarily every week. That seems to be how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

plodder wrote: »
    We had 159 runners, out of 400 registrations approx, which is normal enough apparently. The 400 people will turn up sooner or later, but not necessarily every week. That seems to be how it works.

Plodder/Peckham and everyone who helped get this going BIG THANK YOU

I ran yesterday having only heard about it last week and it was so good. Weirdly I've been out for DCM 3x but had never ran a 5K race! I just loved being there, I know it's going to be really successful, so glad I got to be there for Event #1

For first running I thought it was flawless. I will run first few and then plan to start volunteering.

Question : Will the run go on right over Xmas ? 22/12, 29/12 and 5/1/13 will be great days to be distracted with nice run from stressing about Xmas or eating too much crap!

Thanks again, GOOD JOB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Walkedit wrote: »
    Question : Will the run go on right over Xmas ? 22/12, 29/12 and 5/1/13 will be great days to be distracted with nice run from stressing about Xmas or eating too much crap!

Thanks again, GOOD JOB!

I am not sure about the ParkRun however there is the goal mile xmas morning which can be a good one for most and great to bring the family along to for an hour xmas morning (if you (a) have them (b) can pull them away from the prezzies

http://www.goal.ie/GOAL_Mile/146

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I ran yesterday having only heard about it last week and it was so good. Weirdly I've been out for DCM 3x but had never ran a 5K race! I just loved being there, I know it's going to be really successful, so glad I got to be there for Event #1

For first running I thought it was flawless. I will run first few and then plan to start volunteering.

Thanks again, GOOD JOB!
    think it was yourself that I ran most of the race with. Sorry for not shutting up when you got to the hills :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I might try and get along to this next weekend.

Marlay Park ParkRun would defo be easier for me to get to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Just out of curiosity, how do you go about getting your name associated with a running club on the ParkRun results? When I registered I think there was a running club box but no clubs were listed and there was no option (that I can remember) to add in your club name manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Karpaty

G-Money wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how do you go about getting your name associated with a running club on the ParkRun results? When I registered I think there was a running club box but no clubs were listed and there was no option (that I can remember) to add in your club name manually.

You would need to email the following information to support@parkrun.com to add your club to the database:

- Name of club
    - Name of results coordinator for club
    - Email address of results coordinator for club
    - Website address of club
    - Country that your club is based in

Once it's added to the database, you need to follow the link to "Manage your Profile", which can be found in any of ParkRun newsletters, in any of your run results emails, or in your registration confirmation email, and update your club details.

Results co-ordinator email is required so ParkRun can send them a weekly roundup of all runners belonging to that club who ran with parkrun that weekend. Feedback from results coordinators regarding this email is always extremely positive and many publish the contents in their newsletters.

Thanks Walkedit! Glad you enjoyed it. 5km is a nice distance, good for working on speed, which will help your marathon training too. To answer your question, yes the plan is to run all of those Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Really enjoyed the run on Sat.

Big thanks to the organisers, volunteers and everyone who ran.

Looking forward to next Saturday now!

All the pics are here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/malahide-parkrun/pool/

8174581376_07cb09b586_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

A big thanks Plodder, ran on Saturday morning and loved it. Finished in 12th which was nice...

Also a nice Email to validate the performance on sunday. Apparently I only put 67% into the run :eek:..

I had to head off after the race, but ill get you a coffee next week...

Thanks Again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done on Saturday lads. My OH had something on so I couldn't make it. Look forward to running this week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Congratulations to all involved in getting this off the ground here.
    I'd say you've paved the way for many more to follow you, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Nice work plodder.

Great to see such a big turnout and great to meet so many travelling parkrunners afterwards.

It looks like work is already underway to create a couple more parkruns.

Hopefully see more of you again on Saturday morning, don't forget to volunteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

shels4ever wrote: »
    think it was yourself that I ran most of the race with. Sorry for not shutting up when you got to the hills :) .

Trust me I was glad of a bit of encouragement and defo needed a HTFU in the last mile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭runsir

First time running since the marathon but will give it a go tomorrow hopefully...

Advertisement