Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i duno grind, i went and got a measuring tape now and im 35-38.5-32, but i'm still a 34e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

ihsb wrote: »
    Booking my first holiday with the OH half today. So fricking excited! This is going to be so much fun! :)
    where're you going? *lives vicariously through internet peoples*

I work in seemingly the only shop in town that's open on Easter Sunday.:( My friend works in Tesco and she's off, if even Tesco is closing, everywhere should...going home after that though, haven't been home in weeks and the rest of the family is gonna wait for me so we can all have dinner together.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

My baby car is going to be okay!!!!! WHEEEEEEEE!!
    I love my garage- called my garage man and he came straight over to check on the jeep. He said that all is grand and there must have been a car parked in my space that was leaking fluid while I was out, but mine is grand :) I love him, he gets that my car is my 1st love and always priorities me when he's sick :D
    He also refused to charge me for calling out *happy dance*

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Das Kitty wrote: »
    In work.

Feeling rebellious so I might have bacon for breakfast and ham for lunch.

Take that, religious tradition!

Update: One rasher, three scornful looks and one scolding.

Roll on lunchtime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Yay, all those people who hate butter....MOAR FOR MEEEEEE!

Ok so I know what the real point of the rubella vaccine is and I'm grateful it exists yadda yadda yadda, but I'm having a mini, vaccine-induced rubella and it sucks...I'd prefer not, ta very much! (also it's nearly a week since the symptoms started, get lost now please!). Very very narky today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Burnt my hand on the inside of the oven. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Took me a record 8 minutes to drive to work this morning.

And I don't agree with this whole "Sure it's only the second day a year pubs get off, we shouldn't bedgrudge them it..." schtick. They're not obliged to open every other day of the year, they can take as much downtime as they want. Conversely, any publican who's running a business should have the opportunity to open on a given day if he wants to.

I don't necessarily agree with people drinking twice as much as they would on a regular Friday just because the pubs are closed. But I do think it's high time that this ridiculous situation was reversed.

yeah give them the option, if they want to take it as a company day or day off like a lot of businesses do then they can, if they want to open then they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Just back from the pool, would have stayed longer only the giant mosquitos are starting to appear and I know better than to stick around when they're frisky. Some of the bites I've had are just ridiculous.

Any good swimmers here? Trying to relearn all the swimming stuff I knew as a kid. Can't seem to figure out how to do freestyle with my head under the water, can't get the pace right in order to breathe! Need some tips!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Titanic viewers should also check out A Night to Remember

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Applied for a job at Twitter. Sure, why not?

Don't get excited. I applied for one on Jan 1st. Job is still being advertised. I'm sure half the country has applied for that one by now...

I take this back. I've got an interview. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Just back from the pool, would have stayed longer only the giant mosquitos are starting to appear and I know better than to stick around when they're frisky. Some of the bites I've had are just ridiculous.

Any good swimmers here? Trying to relearn all the swimming stuff I knew as a kid. Can't seem to figure out how to do freestyle with my head under the water, can't get the pace right in order to breathe! Need some tips!

on every right arm stroke turn your head right breathe, head down, breathe down into the water when doing left arm, repeat
    that's my vague memory of it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Breathe every 3rd stroke. You'll be tilting your head to one side just enough to have your mouth and nose out of the water to breathe. Kinda hard to explain though
    Black Oil wrote: »
    Titanic viewers should also check out A Night to Remember

I think that one is so much sadder than Titanic itself :(

Best thing to do is practice breathing, just breathe in through the mouth and head under breathe out through the nose while standing in the pool. Then get moving.

And check out Mr. Smoooooth on the swim smooth website. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I did some swim training as a kid, and AFAIR, you do 3 strokes (left arm, right arm, left arm) with your head down in the water, then turn your head to the left to breath on the 4th stroke (right arm). You can do more or fewer strokes depending on your lung capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Thanks for the tips. I'm lying on the hotel bed practicing the strokes and trying to get the breathing right - I'm sure I look like a lunatic but nevermind!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Make sure that you are turning your head at the same time your arm is just about to come out of the water. Some people are more comfortable doing it on one side than the other, so every 2 or 3 strokes. As your arm goes backwards and comes out of the water, tilt your head. Its not just your head that rotates, your body should naturally be going from side to side in the water as you stretch out in front of you. Other tip is to make sure your elbow is coming high out of the water, this gives you more room to move your head up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

My OH only taught me to swim 2 years ago :D So if you're interested in the art of the doggy paddle I'm your gal

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Thanks for the tips. I'm lying on the hotel bed practicing the strokes and trying to get the breathing right - I'm sure I look like a lunatic but nevermind!

All it is is practise - you'll get it in now time!

Less sunny today, but apparently warmer - must venture outside!

Don't turn your head. Your head should remain neutral it's your body that rotates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    Burnt my hand on the inside of the oven. Ouch.

Fun isn't it? I managed to burn off a previous scar with a burn from a hot cake tin, pretty impressed that it got rid of the old scar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

All it is is practise - you'll get it in now time!

Less sunny today, but apparently warmer - must venture outside!

I wouldn't - I'm freezing and still regretting getting up!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I have exams in 2 weeks but I'm still basking in the freedom of having all assignments completed.

Must. Study. Soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Should have applied for internships. I'm such an idiot. I was going to apply for them for next summer but then I'll be applying for training contracts in England and I won't have had any experience or even an interview to help with that. Stupid stupid Keri :(

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Finally made it to the kettlebells class in my gym. It's usually booked out but there was just me and another girl yesterday so we had the undivided attention of the instructor- it was like a free personal training session! Took me ages to master the basic swing technique but I loved it when I did. I find most exercise so boring so something that works your whole body in one go is ideal.

The other girl never made it past the 8kg kettlebell and wanted to go back down to the 4kg one, but I was using the 16kg one by the end and could possibly have gone higher if I wasn't so worn out already!:D I think I found my exercise, going back today to have a practice on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Starting measuring my body, as suggested why do you want to be thinner thread and also in here. Well I was a 32/33 waist before now I'm 29 but that's in the morning I'm back up to 30.5 at night.

Bust is 30, 38, 36. Which means I'm not a 36b even though they are comfy, I'm a 34 d :)

Hips are 36.

This puts me as a straight or banana shaped person. Which is of no supprise as I've always been a straight body shape.

Hopefully with weight training/kickboxing I will tone up my tummy and stop the fluctuations.

The point I was really trying to get across in that thread is that we shouldn't be focusing on figures and measures. Firstly they can be so inaccurate anyway, and show no reflection on health a lot of the time.

And they can become such an obsession. I've stopped weighing and measuring myself and I'm just trying to focus on being healthy. Measurements can be like a punishment to yourself. You don't reach a goal in a certain amount of time and you feel like a failure, you feel ugly, you might feel like you need to change your diet and exercise to fit these expectations you have. Even if you really have done nothing wrong or different in your regime. Or even if you skipped a couple of days or had some treats, so what. You can pick it back up again easily, no need to feel guilty or do anything drastic to hit that goal.

Exercise is great but really the reward should be how you feel, and not what a scales or tape measure tells you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I need a nap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I need a nap.

Get off the computer and have one then :)

I love day time naps. Don't get to have them as often anymore. Kinda miss them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Get off the computer and have one then :)

I love day time naps. Don't get to have them as often anymore. Kinda miss them.

I'd *love* daytime naps, but even when I take a break from work I'm too wired thinking about what I could be doing instead of sitting watching tv that I end up going back to it after a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

PS I love watching people shopping for books on the BD website - I get to indulge my nosiness without bothering anyone :)http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/live

Best thing ever!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Baking time! :D

Plus, only one more sleep until bf gets here! :D
    Are you baking anything nice?
    I take this back. I've got an interview. :eek:
    Congrats. Good luck with the interview, hope it goes well for you.

Titanic 3D tonight, excited :D

I've got BBQ ribs defrosting, hope they are defrosted soon, would love to have a few :( Forgot to take them outta the freezer last night dammit :(

Going to have a chicken tikka pie soon, mmm :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement