Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeing Christmas Out-of-Season 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

irishbarb wrote: »
    The DFS one is the only one I've seen so far! :)

And it will prob be the only one you'll see until 1st of November as most ads are not allowed until then according to the BAI Code.

I think it only applies to ads that are aimed at kids.

Big business is after the hearts and minds of our children. While parents are now bracing themselves for an avalanche of Christmas-themed TV advertising aimed at their children (the BAI code permits it only from November 1st), commandeering the Santa lists is only one target of marketers. source:irishtimes.com

Woohoo 1,000th post! Glad to spend it with the Christmas forum, I love ye guys!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 DreaminOnAStar

I have just seen a Christmas ad for DFS (http://www.dfs.co.uk/) on TV just now!!!

With Christmas trees and the whole works!!

Is that a record? I thought there was some kind of rule that Nov 1st was the start of TV ads?

Anyway I'm delighted!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 DreaminOnAStar

leahyl wrote: »
    OMG just saw my first Christmas ad this year!! It's for DFS - not a bad Christmas ad actually!!

Oh I'm sorry. Saw this ad today and posted about it. Didnt realise it was already on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭washiskin

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Woohoo 1,000th post! Glad to spend it with the Christmas forum, I love ye guys!! :D

Yaaay Lockie! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 okfine

Christmas FM have to say I really look forward to it every year,Big believer in Christmas and the goodwill it brings its great....

For a few weeks humanity seems to act in a caring manner that I wish would last throughout the year so much pain on earth,Important to care :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The Christmas lights are up on Wicklow Street!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭daddyorchips

Hey guys new to this forum,
    I just wanna know what is the matter with me as a kid I loved Christmas even up to maybe 18 but when I left home a year later I wasn't bothered.
    Last year I was blessed with my little girl 2 weeks before the big day and still I had no Christmas cheer. This year I am looking forward to it a bit but not to the same extent that I used to, Im not a Grinch type person that hates the idea of Christmas Just not as merry as I used to be. Any ideas of why I don't feel it anymore ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Hey guys new to this forum,
    I just wanna know what is the matter with me as a kid I loved Christmas even up to maybe 18 but when I left home a year later I wasn't bothered.
    Last year I was blessed with my little girl 2 weeks before the big day and still I had no Christmas cheer. This year I am looking forward to it a bit but not to the same extent that I used to, Im not a Grinch type person that hates the idea of Christmas Just not as merry as I used to be. Any ideas of why I don't feel it anymore ?
    Maybe because you chose McCain chips over daddy. It was a downward spiral from there.

I never :0 I just picked it cos im a daddy and its all i could come up with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Maybe because you chose McCain chips over daddy. It was a downward spiral from there.

Nerdkiller - please think before you reply - joke or not, the poster asked a serious question and I'm certain they're far from alone in how they feel around Christmas.

daddyorchips sometimes the spirit can go out of Christmas for a variety of reasons. If you were used to being at home with your family for Christmas you can get caught up in everyone's excitement and it can feed your own.
    As families get older, children become adults, some of the spirit can be lost, it's true. Not all families but some may not put in as much effort as they would have done for the sake of children.

You now have your own wonderful daughter, last year it was probably so close to Christmas that there was so much going on you didn't get a chance to properly get into it / enjoy it.
    She'd be almost 1 this year then? So you can start to make it special for her, and in doing so you may get caught up in it yourself. Try to remember all the things that made Christmas memorable for you, and the excitement you had, and create it for her. She's still quite young but as she gets a bit older you'll enjoy it even more.

• Advertisement

star-pants wrote: »
    Nerdkiller - please think before you reply - joke or not, the poster asked a serious question and I'm certain they're far from alone in how they feel around Christmas.

daddyorchips sometimes the spirit can go out of Christmas for a variety of reasons. If you were used to being at home with your family for Christmas you can get caught up in everyone's excitement and it can feed your own.
    As families get older, children become adults, some of the spirit can be lost, it's true. Not all families but some may not put in as much effort as they would have done for the sake of children.

You now have your own wonderful daughter, last year it was probably so close to Christmas that there was so much going on you didn't get a chance to properly get into it / enjoy it.
    She'd be almost 1 this year then? So you can start to make it special for her, and in doing so you may get caught up in it yourself. Try to remember all the things that made Christmas memorable for you, and the excitement you had, and create it for her. She's still quite young but as she gets a bit older you'll enjoy it even more.

Thank you for your reply Yes she will be one on the 7th of December so wont be looking forward to santa just yet but got her a santa teddy the other day and she hugged it made my heart melt, I hope i like it this year as i always did enjoy it not just the presents but also the excitement in the months leading up to the big day, I wanna make it special for the little one though so any ideas?, And thank you for your comment to nerd killer but i understand some people like to make jokes myself included so i take no offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭DonnaMarieAva

I am so looking forward to Christmas this year! I'll finally have my own money (thanks to the college grant!!) to buy presents, food, decorations etc :D Also, I'll have a new little sis as well!!

Thank you for your reply Yes she will be one on the 7th of December so wont be looking forward to santa just yet but got her a santa teddy the other day and she hugged it made my heart melt, I hope i like it this year as i always did enjoy it not just the presents but also the excitement in the months leading up to the big day, I wanna make it special for the little one though so any ideas?, And thank you for your comment to nerd killer but i understand some people like to make jokes myself included so i take no offence.
    Yeah, I didn't mean to be offencive, seeing how I'm kind of a practical joker. But congrats on your kid and her second Christmas.

I am so looking forward to Christmas this year! I'll finally have my own money (thanks to the college grant!!) to buy presents, food, decorations etc :D Also, I'll have a new little sis as well!!

Congrats on the little sister hope you have a great Christmas this year.

Yeah, I didn't mean to be offencive, seeing how I'm kind of a practical joker. But congrats on your kid and her second Christmas.

I took no offence at all, And thanks shes all the presents i need really even if she eventually picks mcain chips over me

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭DonnaMarieAva

Thank you!!
    Congrats on the little sister hope you have a great Christmas this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

She won't pick up on all the things just yet, but music and decorations will help. She'll also pick up on any excitement around her. Colourful decorations, lights, music, any other traditions you have (be that church or otherwise) she may or may not quite get it but she'll enjoy it all the same :)

My friend had her second child in February, and she's excited about her experiencing her first Christmas (she's gotten her Christmas pjs already).

star-pants wrote: »
    She won't pick up on all the things just yet, but music and decorations will help. She'll also pick up on any excitement around her. Colourful decorations, lights, music, any other traditions you have (be that church or otherwise) she may or may not quite get it but she'll enjoy it all the same :)

My friend had her second child in February, and she's excited about her experiencing her first Christmas (she's gotten her Christmas pjs already).

Awh bless i remember holly in her little santa outfit last year was so cute

Having this little girl in your life will definitely put the sparkle back into Christmas, Daddyorchips! :)

When she gets a little older and you see how happy the festive season makes children- helping with the decorations and making her own at school, taking her to see the lights, getting a part in the nativity play, picking some presents for her little school friends, being too excited to sleep on Christmas eve and the look on her face when she sees that Santa has come to visit... you will be merrier than you ever were at this time of year!

She is your Christmas spirit now- cherish this time, and the Christmas cheer will reappear!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I was at an arts and crafts super store yesterday, so much Christmas stuff to make and do :D had to drag myself out if I had a hope of paying rent next week :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

A superstore?! Where?

Canada. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭IrishGurll

Hey guys this is just a quick DIY Christmas decoration idea.
    To make a candy tree decorations.
    Things you will need :
    2 ice cream cones ( stack them on top of each other )
    Royal iceing (the type you use for making ginger bread houses )
    And lots of gumballs (Multi coloured looks best )

Stack the ice cream cones on top of each other , then cover them with royal iceing then place the gumballs all over (No gaps ) And there you have a really pretty decoration that's super easy to make , I will try and put some pics up of the ones I made last year tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Posy wrote: »
    Canada. :(

Feck :(

GOLD's now airing The Royale Family Christmas Special.

The lights are (almost) up on Grafton Street!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

daddyorchips, I was exactly like that. When my grandad died, I detested christmas. But since our little one came along I started to love it again. It really brought the meaning for us back into it. Now he is 2 and a half, and he is full of excitement, he still doesn't really get it, but we love doing the traditions and getting ready etc ... It will come, give it another christmas or two, and your childs excitement will be infectious!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I saw a Newbridge Silverwear Christmas ad in the cinema earlier. The atmosphere of WTF??? from the audience was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I saw a Newbridge Silverwear Christmas ad in the cinema earlier. The atmosphere of WTF??? from the audience was hilarious.

Meanwhile Bobblehead Panda was jumping up and down with excitement:pac:

• Advertisement

All the lights are up on Grafton Street this morning... AND there is a Christmas tree up in the window of Next. AAAAAAARGH!!!! :D:D:D:D

I practically danced down Grafton Street! \o/

Advertisement