Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray airshow 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭snowserpeant

airbusa320 wrote: »
    At the moment only 7 acts are confirmed on the web-site including the hunter and the blades. The air corps have not confirmed yet but should show up. Why have acts like the Breitling wingwalkes or aircraft like the vampire not been before. It would be nice to see the like of the Swip team or the RV8tors return?
    remember that the gnat team were also "confirmed" but were a no-show so even though the hunter is confirmed i still am not expecting it to turn up.if it does i will be very surprised.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Teddy Edward

snowserpeant,
    I think your a man in the know....and i agree 100% with these so called confirmed acts and lack of communication!

Maybe our friend should keep to the day job!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duffer2010

Someone mentioned in an earlier post, airline sponsership. This was the case years ago with likes of British Airways sponsoring the early Air Spectaculars in Fairyhouse. I also believe the organisers don't have the passion of those whom put together previous show's in Ireland.

exactly.if he cant get any decent acts for the show he should just come out and say it,dont feed us bull**** about aircraft turning up when he,and we, both know its not going to happen:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

Web site up dated.
    The RV8tors will be back as well as Dave Bruton.

• Advertisement

ah grand so:D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Teddy Edward

You can remove E Goggins can off that list in the E300 as its sold:)

will he still display?...on a seperate note and not that it makes a bit of difference to the bray airshow as they wont be there but have you seen / heard / read that the red arrows are down to 7 pilots / aircraft for this year and also their only female pilot has quit the team due to stress following the loss of 2 pilots due to accidents over the last few months [and thats why they are down to 7]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

will he still display?...on a seperate note and not that it makes a bit of difference to the bray airshow as they wont be there but have you seen / heard / read that the red arrows are down to 7 pilots / aircraft for this year and also their only female pilot has quit the team due to stress following the loss of 2 pilots due to accidents over the last few months [and thats why they are down to 7]
    Search function and me are your friends

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77416398

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Good to see that She is repaying all the effort that went into allowing women to fly fast jets by bailing out at the first sign of stress. I wonder what she would have done if, for example, she had to go to the Falklands in 1982 ? For starters, the invasion might have happened at the wrong time of the month, and if she was a Salsa fan, well then she could hardly attack the argies?
    OMG , am i starting to sound like a ,ale chauvinist ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

Good to see that She is repaying all the effort that went into allowing women to fly fast jets by bailing out at the first sign of stress. I wonder what she would have done if, for example, she had to go to the Falklands in 1982 ? For starters, the invasion might have happened at the wrong time of the month, and if she was a Salsa fan, well then she could hardly attack the argies?
    OMG , am i starting to sound like a ,ale chauvinist ?

Woah .....mate. ..Argentine war might seem like a cakewalk compared to what will happen to ya if the wimmin get ya. Your gonna crash and burn

emo72 wrote: »
    Woah .....mate. ..Argentine war might seem like a cakewalk compared to what will happen to ya if the wimmin get ya. Your gonna crash and burn

Bring them on !!!! " I had the shot, i took the shot, there was no danger " Maverick is reengaging !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi all,
    On a particular point, the non-appearance of the Gnats had nothing to do with alleged turbulence over the Irish Sea, rather "turbulence" of a different nature on the ground. Certain requests were not met, despite promises, so the Gnat operators felt unable to attend.

regards
    Stovepipe

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi all,
    On a particular point, the non-appearance of the Gnats had nothing to do with alleged turbulence over the Irish Sea, rather "turbulence" of a different nature on the ground. Certain requests were not met, despite promises, so the Gnat operators felt unable to attend.

regards
    Stovepipe
    the person who told me was the very organiser i know,he said turbelence over the sea...he neglected to mention the other turbelence of which you speak which does not suprise me as in they were most likley not invited in the first place

I was on the understanding the Gnats didn't appear due to excessive landing charges in Dublin Airport(they where being the charged the same as a business jet to land). The RV8tors again uhhhhhhhhhhhh. Should start calling this thing the Groundhog Airshow. I don't know how Lt. Col Kevin Byrne manages to come up with new things to say every year when he commentates on the same acts, doing the same stunts. "Oh look the Casa has it rear door open, to which they can throw a raft out to some poor unfortunate who has ended up in the water". Oh gone be the days when you could see a Saab Draken ripping up the sky over Baldonnel or a B17 formate with an A 10, now that's what I'm talking about.

i agree with you 100%.if the gnats were being charged the fees you say surley the aircorps could have let them use baldonnel for the day,okay i know its down to the dod at the end of the day but this is the kind of ****e that happens when its left to the last minute.i cant see how the gnats would have been a problem using baldonnel seeing as the aircorps had their own aircraft coming from there

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Duffer2010 wrote: »
    Oh gone be the days when you could see a Saab Draken ripping up the sky over Baldonnel or a B17 formate with an A 10, now that's what I'm talking about.

It was a Saab Viggen that displayed at the Air Corps 75th.. and that was not open to the public.....

it was air spectacular 89 i belive [if memory serves me].it was a danish air force example and i remember it as it was a horrible shade of greyish brown and 1 of the fuel tanks was quite rusty:D

Do you honestly think the Swedish AF would fly an aircraft with rusty fuel tanks? get a grip. I saw their Drakens and Hercules and support wagons up close in Baldonnel and they were immaculate.

Why would the DAA not charge two jets the going rate? Sure, they could have done Bray a favour but again, why should they? Comms failure again, which left the Gnats down a gig and Bray down a display act. Too much of that show is done on the fly, without decent comms and back-up.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

Theres nothin spectacular about Bray!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Plane Jane

Re landing fees at Dublin Airport for the Gnats!!

Based on summertime DAA rates, 8.60 per tonne with each Gnat MTOW at 4000kg = 34.40 per aircraft = 68.80 for both Gnats......hardly expensive at that!!

westdub wrote: »
    It was a Saab Viggen that displayed at the Air Corps 75th.. and that was not open to the public.....
    Maybe it wasnt open to the public, but there was a massive crowd inside, and i believe the Naas road was at a standstill there were so many people parked along it watching the show. pretty similar for Air Spectacular 2000 .

Stovepipe is correct. It was a Swedish Airforce Draken. It appeared at the Air Spectacular 1993. Other aircraft to appear that day where a Mirage 2000 of the French Air force, B25 and a Mustang. The Silver Swallows where reduced to a pair of Fouga's for the show. They didn't even display under the name Silver Swallows. I think this was due to shortage of spares for them at the time. They did however trail white smoke. Something never seen prior to or after this occasion.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMbUeYQpf_gT-AfECmLyewKCZQNhIbvvxCQea9j60dlR8qDpQa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Stovepipe is correct. It was a Swedish Airforce Draken. It appeared at the Air Spectacular 1993. Other aircraft to appear that day where a Mirage 2000 of the French Air force, B25 and a Mustang. The Silver Swallows where reduced to a pair of Fouga's for the show. They didn't even display under the name Silver Swallows. I think this was due to shortage of spares for them at the time. They did however trail white smoke. Something never seen prior to or after this occasion.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMbUeYQpf_gT-AfECmLyewKCZQNhIbvvxCQea9j60dlR8qDpQa

I was at that Air Show too. The noise of the Draken was something else. The Patrouille de France flew a great display too.

Hi all,
    The Draken pair generated the most noise complaints of all noisy Don visitors. Literally, as they left on the Monday and threw a few shapes for us, the phones started ringing in the Don as hundreds of people rang the Don to complain. They were still fielding calls that evening.Hey, who cares;)
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

The Silver Swallows where reduced to a pair of Fouga's for the show. They didn't even display under the name Silver Swallows. I think this was due to shortage of spares for them at the time. They did however trail white smoke. Something never seen prior to or after this occasion.

Are you sure it was 1993? as I came across this pic from the 93 show....

http://www.worldairpics.com/photo/1000558/M/

Im in the process of trying to sort and catalogue my lareg collection of aviation magazines, In the midst , today, i found the programme for the 2000 spectacular. As i read it, i didnt know whether to smile or cry. smile at the memories, cry at the thought that we will never see the like again in this country

Westdub-Frank Grealish is wrong with his comment re; that photograph. In that picture, you can just about make out the large Light Strike Squadron Panther Crest on the Magisters. These where first applied in 1997 for the IAC's 75 anniversary along with the Silver Swallows crest on the starboard side. If that pic was taken in Casement it must have been for the Family Day in 1997. Yes Stovepipe there was some rap out of the Draken. I think they where retired from the Swedish Air Force a few years after this.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Do you honestly think the Swedish AF would fly an aircraft with rusty fuel tanks? get a grip. I saw their Drakens and Hercules and support wagons up close in Baldonnel and they were immaculate.

Why would the DAA not charge two jets the going rate? Sure, they could have done Bray a favour but again, why should they? Comms failure again, which left the Gnats down a gig and Bray down a display act. Too much of that show is done on the fly, without decent comms and back-up.

regards
    Stovepipe
    the draken was not flying with the fuel tank in question.that was on the ground as part of the stores display that the aircraft can carry...and it WAS NOT the swedish air force,it was a DANISH airforce draken

• Advertisement

A Danish Airforce Draken never displayed static or flying on these shores.

Advertisement