Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray airshow 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

has anyone else noticed that 2 years ago when the c-117 turned up it flew in from behind the crowd,over bray town and over the crowds heads and the blades also flew over the crowds heads at the aer lingus 75th annaversary party at dublin last year....an absoloute no no as per international airshow safety proceedures :eek:

Yeah, it was probably the only decent part of the show..

If nothing decent is showing up this year apart from a hawker hunter which will probably just do a fly by anyway if it comes along.. I definitely wont be going

Sick of the same old sh**e flying along, nobody wants to see microlights being pushed to their limits which is barely a 30° bank imo..
    Plus the pc9's, don't get me started on those.. I nearly fell asleep with boredom last year, and the year before, and the year before that, from them doing the same little formation fly by.. They should think about putting on a decent act.

I know its a free airshow, but at least throw in something exciting. I wish they don't wait till the last minute to try and get stuff.. they should be trying now, or at least have done a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭snowserpeant

maybe the c-17 at bray was above 1500ft,cant remember but the blades were well BELOW 1500ft and i remember that as i was thinking they are very low and it was also starting to get dark,thats the 2 reasons that this display sticks in my mind:eek:

b757 wrote: »
    Yeah, it was probably the only decent part of the show..

If nothing decent is showing up this year apart from a hawker hunter which will probably just do a fly by anyway if it comes along.. I definitely wont be going

Sick of the same old sh**e flying along, nobody wants to see microlights being pushed to their limits which is barely a 30° bank imo..
    Plus the pc9's, don't get me started on those.. I nearly fell asleep with boredom last year, and the year before, and the year before that, from them doing the same little formation fly by.. They should think about putting on a decent act.

I know its a free airshow, but at least throw in something exciting. I wish they don't wait till the last minute to try and get stuff.. they should be trying now, or at least have done a few months ago.
    i dont believe that the hawker hunter is coming and i wont belive it either untill im standing on the sea front looking at it....and if it does turn up it better do something damn sight more than just a fly by:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

i dont believe that the hawker hunter is coming and i wont belive it either untill im standing on the sea front looking at it....and if it does turn up it better do something damn sight more than just a fly by:mad:

Yeah it better..

Hopefully going to RIAT or Farnborough this year and maybe Portrush.. Hopefully they are gonna be good..

Just waiting on the weekly update from RIAT about confirmed aircraft tomorrow..

Will be 100x better than bray, sick of the same stuff year in, year out

b757 wrote: »
    Yeah it better..

Hopefully going to RIAT or Farnborough this year and maybe Portrush.. Hopefully they are gonna be good..

Just waiting on the weekly update from RIAT about confirmed aircraft tomorrow..

Will be 100x better than bray, sick of the same stuff year in, year out

if you go to riat you will LOVE it.i was there in 07 and there was red arrows,usaf t-birds,italian frecce tricolori,spanish patruillia aguilla as well as the british army air corps and royal navy heli teams and as well as all the other aircraft,about 300 in total...and there was flight crews from the estonian,greek,finnish airforces and the us navy reserve staying in the same hotel i was in so i had 1 hell of a fantastic weekend to say the least:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duffer2010

I see the Belgian Airforce A109 display helicopter, will be appearing at Portrush. There is absolutely no reason why something like this could not appear at Bray.
    A109-s.jpg
    Cmon' organisers lets have some new interesting acts, instead of having your only selling point around a Hunter. Before anyone says it again-I know it's a free show-so is Portrush, so was Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

if you go to riat you will LOVE it.i was there in 07 and there was red arrows,usaf t-birds,italian frecce tricolori,spanish patruillia aguilla as well as the british army air corps and royal navy heli teams and as well as all the other aircraft,about 300 in total...and there was flight crews from the estonian,greek,finnish airforces and the us navy reserve staying in the same hotel i was in so i had 1 hell of a fantastic weekend to say the least:):):)
    I have only missed RIAT once, since 1983 . Without a doubt the best military airshow in the world. Now, if i could only turn the clock back to the mid to late 1990s,OMG, the line up back then . It just got better and better each year, any east european or russian type you could imagine . Fridays were unbelieveable, every 5-10 minutes there would be a run and break, with another flight of 2 or 4 F-16s, tornados ,Mirages etc. Great great days .

Duffer2010 wrote: »
    I see the Belgian Airforce A109 display helicopter, will be appearing at Portrush. There is absolutely no reason why something like this could not appear at Bray.
    A109-s.jpg
    Cmon' organisers lets have some new interesting acts, instead of having your only selling point around a Hunter. Before anyone says it again-I know it's a free show-so is Portrush, so was Salthill.
    you are spot on with this,organiser really needs to get his / their act together

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Teddy Edward

And i see The 109 & C-130 are doing Newcastle NI on 11 August!!

F16 in Culdrose 18th July......finger out time!!

im just curious if the organiser is reading any of the negative comments here [mine included] about the lack of variety.i hope he / she / they are and get the bloody hint and wake up call they seriously need.okay so maybe we cant have fast jets but come on,there is more out there than the same usual ****e [mostly] that turns up every year:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

How about instead of whinging about what does not appear at Bray, you aviation enthusiasts provide some positive ways as to how to go about getting these aircraft to display at Bray. The limitations of the site have already been discussed so work out what can display and offer suggestions as to how to get it done.......... be a bit more positive!!!

okay,as i have said before maybe the likes of f-16s,tornados,etc cant be displayed at bray for obvious reasons [close to dub airport etc] but remember that the VERY FIRST bray air show had a JET PROVOST as the closing act and also 2 aircraft from the ROYAL NETHERLANDS AIRFORCE,a pc-7 and an ab 214 sar chopper so if a fast[ish] jet and forgien military participation [other than the usaf] could be organised for the first year then the organiser really dose not have any excuses...and the pc-7 actually did 2 displays as the coast guard s-61 was called out on a real sar mission so to prevent a gap in the flying program that aircraft went up twice....and on the subject of the blades,i HAVE said that they are good at what they do but i would like to see another display team as the "main act" of the show just for a change

in relation to booking aircraft to appear at the show,i dont know how late they leave it but they should take a look at how the riat team do it [and im aware that riat is in the uk and they have the raf,fleet air arm,army air corps and usafe on their own doorstep].when their show finishes they are on the phone the very next day ringing around the various forgien embassies,agiencies etc to book for the next years show...a whole year to get things organised....now i know bray is a town and persons live there so it cant exactly be closed off in order to charge into the show but if a small percentage of shop ,resturant and bar sales went to the organisers it might provide a decent fund for the show...last year 80,000 turned up,thats some amount of beer / fast food / desserts sold ,not to forget about the money taken in by the asument rides and arcades...i dont know if that would work,maybe it is already done that way but its just an idea / suggestion:)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

The crowd has continued to grow over the last few years with the current line up so you would imagine if some more interesting acts were added the crowd would also get bigger, Why not introduce a bucket collection on the day of the air show, even if only half the crowd gave a donation it would go to help finance the next year ?

an excllent idea,i for 1 would defo throw a few quid that way...or how about sponsership from the various airlines based here [aer lingus,ryanair etc] and the iaa?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

airbusa320 wrote: »
    The crowd has continued to grow over the last few years with the current line up so you would imagine if some more interesting acts were added the crowd would also get bigger, Why not introduce a bucket collection on the day of the air show, even if only half the crowd gave a donation it would go to help finance the next year ?
    this is more like it..... Any more positive suggestions?????

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

airbusa320 wrote: »
    Thats what portrush does, atleast they did it last year...they were also selling booklets with all various acts and their history. I'we seen quite a few people donating the money and buying those booklets.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Teddy Edward

As mentioned earlier the current organiser is not the one that organised 2005!!
    2005 was the 1st show at Bray and had the best line up so me thinks the problem lies with who is putting this together now!

I think the part time role of the organiser coupled with the fact everything is left to the last minute is the reason why Bray has not progressed like Portrush or Salthill!

I am not negative to the airshow but maybe look at expanding the organising team would resolve the problem and attract more military acts!!

exactly.i dont know if this is the case but seeing as the airshow is part of the summer fest i think the organising board should have a word in the airshow organisers ear [if the summer fest board is seperate from the airshow board].there has to be someone on the team that must realise this show needs to expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mission99

I noticed a previous poster talks about getting on the phone and booking military display teams.

Organisers don't "book" military aircraft, they request them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Mission99 wrote: »
    ...Organisers don't "book" military aircraft, they request them.

well, whether booked or requested, they won't come if you don't ring them, and the chances of them coming are radically increased by not waiting until 3 weeks before the display season starts to find out if they are available.

if you want the Reds, or the Typhoon display, or the Tornado role demo, you want to be making contact 18-24 months in advance. don't like doing that? don't be surprised when what turns up is the stuff no one else wanted to book.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

an excllent idea,i for 1 would defo throw a few quid that way...or how about sponsership from the various airlines based here [aer lingus,ryanair etc] and the iaa?:)

Yep, I agree, they have plenty of money! For the Airlines, it be some good publicity and advertising. The IAA have plenty of money im sure :)

Mission99 wrote: »
    I noticed a previous poster talks about getting on the phone and booking military display teams.

Organisers don't "book" military aircraft, they request them.
    that was me.as os119 has said dont be surprised what turns up if its left until the last minute.if this show is organised by the actuall summerfest team then maybe it should have a seperate team who actually knows what they are doing,and more importantly HOW to do it because in my opinion this show was just an afterthought on how to get boddies to bray for the summerfest.the only reason ,imo,that it is still going is because of the amount of money it brings into the town.to me it looks like the organisers have no real passion for this and thats why its left until the last moment and why its [mostly] the same year after year

robclay26 wrote: »
    Yep, I agree, they have plenty of money! For the Airlines, it be some good publicity and advertising. The IAA have plenty of money im sure :)
    my point exactly:)

OS119 wrote: »
    well, whether booked or requested, they won't come if you don't ring them, and the chances of them coming are radically increased by not waiting until 3 weeks before the display season starts to find out if they are available.

if you want the Reds, or the Typhoon display, or the Tornado role demo, you want to be making contact 18-24 months in advance. don't like doing that? don't be surprised when what turns up is the stuff no one else wanted to book.
    what really gets me is for the first year the original organiser even managed to get the reds to fly over bray town a few days before the show in order to promote it.okay maybe they were not free to display at bray on the show day which is fair enough but at least that organiser seemed to have an intrest in and passion for the show

I see the RAF Hawk display aint doing Bray either......visiting Northern Ireland twice though!!

Me thinks invites are not even been sent:mad:

Bray is alot closer than Portrush to Valley and prob 75% of the other display season for the Hawk:confused:
    invites not being sent? i agree completley.the gnat team were supposed to turn up a few years back [2 i think] and they pulled out...what reason was given for this?...turbelence over the irish sea.i dont belive that for 1 moment [or that they were even invited in the first place] as the gnat was designed as a jet trainer [and a mini fighter in its single seat form] and was flown by 2 raf display teams so by its very design and role it was MEANT to be thrown around the sky so i dont buy the excuse it cant handle a little bit of turbelence over the irish sea...its no worse than other areas they have flown over / to so i firmly believe the hunter WONT appear this year and that will be the excuse given for its absence aswell :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Has anyone actually tried to contact the people that are behind the Bray Airshow? I guess everyone would like to get more information why so few acts(17 atm, not all are confirmed yet) were invited. It wouldn't hurt to send an email to eveyone there is out there, and invite them.
    Even though it's too late for this year, it would be nice to see something more next year.

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    Has anyone actually tried to contact the people that are behind the Bray Airshow? I guess everyone would like to get more information why so few acts(17 atm, not all are confirmed yet) were invited. It wouldn't hurt to send an email to eveyone there is out there, and invite them.
    Even though it's too late for this year, it would be nice to see something more next year.
    i know 1 of the organisers,not going to name names but he is a captain in aer lingus and i have asked him several times whats on the line up for this year and he is very hush hush most of the time.the only response i get from him is "i will tell you later,im in a rush" and if he does take the time to talk to me about it all he says then is "i have a few surprises but dont tell anyone" and thats it,he wont say what his surprises actually are:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

At the moment only 7 acts are confirmed on the web-site including the hunter and the blades. The air corps have not confirmed yet but should show up. Why have acts like the Breitling wingwalkes or aircraft like the vampire not been before. It would be nice to see the like of the Swip team or the RV8tors return?

• Advertisement

simple reason,the organisers just cant be bothered im afraid [most of the time],...i would also like to see the rv8tors back again..they put on a good display last year:)

Advertisement