Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Arrows down to 7 for 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bladeruner

westdub wrote: »
    The RAF display team has been reduced to 7 aircraft for displays during 2012 following the departure of their first female pilot...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-17249660

€5 says she's preggers. :)
    Standard to be removed from flt ops once declared.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

She is not pregnant she resigned following the deaths of the two pilots last year who were friends of her.

Link: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/4170803/Red-Arrows-Kirsty-Stewart-quits-after-deaths-of-two-pals.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bladeruner

Chicken1 wrote: »
    She is not pregnant she resigned following the deaths of the two pilots last year who were friends of her.

Link: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/4170803/Red-Arrows-Kirsty-Stewart-quits-after-deaths-of-two-pals.html

Ah , that's a shame :( at least a pregnancy would have been good news.
    Unusual to request a desk job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

In the old RAF, it would be considered LMF, lack of moral fibre. Their deaths would have hit all the team hard not just her. One can hardly imagine how close knit they must be.

Her career is finished, I'm afraid and it's given ammunition to the anti female pilot brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Alternatively, she's lost all confidence in the Hawk. I know I'd be a bit skittish if I was sitting in a seat that has had one dodgy bang and trust it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Probably loss of confidence all round. Pilots, particularly military are noted for their egos and over weaning confidence. The 'right stuff' mentality. Another pilots 'augers' and the attitude is that he somehow screwed up. 'It'll never happen to me' is the only attitude. Once you become aware of your mortality, it's over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 redsfan7

RadioRetro wrote: »
    Alternatively, she's lost all confidence in the Hawk. I know I'd be a bit skittish if I was sitting in a seat that has had one dodgy bang and trust it.
    My thoughts too and I'm sure I read that the aircraft are rotated between the pilots through the season so as not to put too much stress on the ones that do the most complicated moves and I think I saw somewhere last year that Kirsty had been flying the one than Jon Egging crashed, not long before he died and if it had been me, that would have alarmed me... but then I just watch them, not fly them!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭snowserpeant

xflyer wrote: »
    Probably loss of confidence all round. Pilots, particularly military are noted for their egos and over weaning confidence. The 'right stuff' mentality. Another pilots 'augers' and the attitude is that he somehow screwed up. 'It'll never happen to me' is the only attitude. Once you become aware of your mortality, it's over.
    its like the documentry i saw in which members of italys frecce tricolori were interviewed in early 1988 before ramstein and pony 10 said "these things happen,but always to someone else,never happen to me"....dont get me wrong,im not having a go at them

Advertisement