Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray airshow 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Plane Jane

Great days.....was there in 04,05,06 and the final 07. Weather was great except 2007. German Navy Tornado duo were very impressive as were the 3 RAF Harriers, Typhoon and of course Red Arrows.

Always made a weekend of it and stayed locally with several others. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duffer2010

I used to live quite near to Baldonnel and would love as a kid the weeks/days running up to the Air Spectaculars. Lots of unusual aircraft arriving and practising their routines plus of course our own Silver Swallows. One particular memory I have is of a team known as the Harvard formation team flying over my house in line astern formation. Three Harvards in WW2 Raf colours and another painted to represent a Mitsubishi Zero and flown by a famous popstar of the 80's Gary Numan. Then there was the Patrouille de France trailing smoke as they flow over a local football pitch, the kids thought it was brill. Great memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Teddy Edward

Jesus 2nd of April and no updates on site or as who is coming!!

Will it happen this year??

• Registered Users Posts: 7 armchair pilot

Hello everyone,

Just been looking over recent postings here. Some interesting points emerging !!!......... especially when compacted into one posting. So please forgive me for summarizing all your comments. (i) The organiser has not updated his web site since last summer............. event only over 3 months away http://www.brayairdisplay.com/ (ii). Clearly they have made no contact with Red Arrows, as they are in north Wales for 2 days and depart there the day preceding Bray..........as a minimum a fly past on the Saturday could have been requested. Obviously the organiser has no input with RAF, unlike the previous organiser in 2005 http://www.braypeople.ie/news/red-arrows-take-to-the-sky-over-bray-589797.html (iii). Salthill was run for 11 years and grew every year. This is year 8 for Bray........... and has gone downhill every year since current organiser took over from that successful organiser of first year in 2005. http://www.salthillairshow.com/airshow_displays.html (iv) Even if Red Arrows not invited, the RAF Tucano team have no commitments for 22 July.http://www.raf.mod.uk/tucanodisplayteam/displayinfo/displaycalendar.cfm (v). If the Irish Air Corps are subject to cutbacks and Bray is excluded............. the event is halved (vi) Organiser's web site doesn't even list Bray as an upcoming event !!!!. Clearly the organiser has lost interest and more interested in making money from his other commercial interests. http://www.simtech.ie/index.php/upcoming_events (vii) Portrush now in 11th year and going from strength to strength............... now over 2 days........... where will Bray be in 3 years time???. Its also a free seaside venue (minus a Head admittedly !!.............. but plus a positive attitude !!!) http://www.niinternationalairshow.co.uk/ . (viii). Bray has support of local council http://www.braytowncouncil.ie/. Similarly Portrush has support of its local council http://www.colerainebc.gov.uk/. So why the difference ???? (vix). Its a pity the current organiser would not seek the assistance of the organisers of AirShow100 scheduled for Punchestown June 2010. You will recall that was pulled by the promoter 4 weeks out due to Red Arrows crash !!!. Those guys has an incredible 2-day line up organised. Such international acts will never be seen on this island again !!. Amazing organisation for a one-off event !! (x) In 2010 Bray organiser marked it as commemorating the centenary of aviation in Ireland........... it wasn't any different than any other year??? (xi) Why do they call it an "Air Spectacular"........... its a glorified air display !!. It seems the comments from this thread could go on and on ............... !!!!

If my memory serves me correct, they leave it late to update their site every year. Upon update the usual stalwarts appear on the list, then followed by a drip feed of acts up until show date. There must be a group or person out there with enough passion to organise a decent event somewhere in Ireland.
    I'd be willing to pay a few euro entrance If there was a good lineup. Seems no one has mentioned this year marks the 90th anniversary of the Irish Air Corps.
    Knowing them they'll have a family day just for members and family like the 75th show in 1997. I was lucky enough to get a ticket for that, what a lineup. However different times then-pre 9/11, Celtic Tiger etc. The tax paying public deserve admission to such events.

• Advertisement

Duffer 2010,

I agree 100% with your comments. Air Spec 2000 finished in shambles and i doubt you will ever see a public airshow at Bal again:mad:

Armchair Pilot,

Your points are valid and as stated earlier Salthill replaced Baldonnel but i dont think Bray has replaced Salthill! I do however understand that the organisers are restricted with funding hence the poor lineup!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Its a pity the current organiser would not seek the assistance of the organisers of AirShow100 scheduled for Punchestown June 2010. You will recall that was pulled by the promoter 4 weeks out due to Red Arrows crash !!!. Those guys has an incredible 2-day line up organised.
    More like unbelievable. I for one wasn't surprised when it never materialised. It was massively over ambitious for a country like Ireland which isn't exactly air minded in the first place.

There was a well organised and improving airshow in Ireland and it was at Salthill. It was killed by lack of funding and no other reason. Despite the fact that it attracted tens of thousands of visitors to Galway. I could point the finger at the Galway Chamber of Commerce for that. Look what they did to Galway Airport.

It's easy to criticise the organisers of the Bray airshow. But why? It's a small seaside air display no more no less. Until someone steps in and funds it massively that it will remain. So stop carping about it and enjoy it for what it is. A nice little air display at a seaside town on a Summer Sunday. We simply cannot compete with Britain in terms of airshows.

The biggest problem for Irish airshows is the lack of available airfields. If the countryside was littered with old American bombers bases left over from WW2. It wouldn't be a problem. But it isn't. Although there is one sitting mostly idle right now. You think I mean Galway but no, it's Baldonnel. Not only that the infrastructure around the place has improved since the last time with possible multiple entrances. It's the obvious place.

Plus of course there is Galway airport, massively improved infrastructure and sitting there empty at weekends.

But it's all pie in the sky. No funding for either option.

I appreciate any show here could never compete with a Uk one. However historically down through the years, airshows have started small and built up in subsequent years. Look at the original Air Spectaculars in Fairyhouse and how they grew. The same with Salthill.
    Having said that I don't think it is the amount of acts on show but as mentioned in my previous posts, diversification should be a factor. The main problem with Bray is the pretty much the same acts every single year. Ok so the lack of budget is a problem, but could another team be invited instead of the Blades every fecking time. There are several civilian teams in the Uk. It's like holding a concert ever summer and the same artist singing the same songs each year...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I suspect it has to do with the calibre of begging by the show's organiser. At least the Donners will turn up, because it's a chance to show off and certain other acts will appear as a favour and/or the cost of a full fuel tank and their grub and a few pints. I don't know what the budget is but I'd imagine a lot of it is consumed by security/insurance and so on, little of it being to spare to fund even small acts.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

The new web site is up and running.
    http://www.brayairdisplay.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Presumably the USAF invite simply means the possibilty of a C17 Globemaster flyby again as opposed to anything smaller faster and pointier? :D

Calibos,

Yeah...not much in that statement!! I would be doubtful over the Hawker Hunter is on its way wording also:confused:

At least the Blades are coming!!! Just like every year!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Plane Jane wrote: »
    Duffer 2010,

I agree 100% with your comments. Air Spec 2000 finished in shambles and i doubt you will ever see a public airshow at Bal again:mad:

Could you tell me what happened Plane Jane? I headed out to Bal for that show. It was the first and only air show I was at. I never made it to Abbeyshrule or Salthill. It was a spectacular day that I still have great memories of 12 years on. I had hoped that it might become an annual or even bi-annual event but, sadly, no. From a spectator point of view the show did exactly what it said on the tin and it wasn't too hard getting to or from the place. Although I really loved all the fast aircraft, I really enjoyed seeing a DC 3 up close and being fairly up close as she started manouvering to get to the runway to take off. She was based in Weston I think, or that's what I found out later on here afaik.

Someone ran away with all the money......and left Baldonnel in a mess and the IAC had to clean all up!!

I am sure if you Google it you will find something as i do recall it made the front page of a few papers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I really enjoyed seeing a DC 3 up close and being fairly up close as she started manouvering to get to the runway to take off. She was based in Weston I think,
    No it must have come in from England. The DC3 in Weston came much later.

I missed the 2000 airshow as I was in America which is a pity as it looks to have been the best of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭snowserpeant

i see a lot of comparisons here with the salthill airshow.what a lot of peeps are seeming to be forgetting is the salthill airshow took place out over the atlantic ocean with miles of relativly free space with no international airport anywhere near the venue where as bray is practically on dublin airports doorstep and the iaa are not going to shut dublin down or divert aircraft from their flightpath coming or going from dublin just because some fast jet pilot wants to display an f-16 or the like at the bray airshow.dont get me wrong,i would love to see fast supersonic jets at bray but i just dont think its going to happen because of the above reasons:)

I wouldn't have thought Baldonnel is a million miles away from Dublin airport either?? I know it's been years since they've held any show but in 00' the traffic flying in and out of Dublin on a June weekend would have been substantial. Look at the types they had at the Air Spectacular that year flying over two days.
    Nice to see the website updated. I read that the guy flying the Hunter hopes to bring a Jet Provost also.
    An A-10 from the USAF would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Duffer2010 wrote: »
    Their wont be any displays from a USAF aircraft at Bray as the USAF have reduced their single aircraft Display teams from 6 last year to only 1 this year and I cant see a F-22 being sent for the show....... http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2011/12/air-force-air-show-cuts-budget-issues-120811w/
    so a fly by will be all that we can hope for, and as the main shows in the UK (RIAT, Farnborough) have been moved to earlier in the year due to the restrictions on aircraft flying around the time of the Olympics there wont be as many US aircraft around at the time of the Bray show....

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

Any idea were you heard about the jet provost ?
    It would be good to see the Aer lingus retro jet back again or to see Aer lingus regional make an appearance.

There was a small article in the Evening Herald last night. I seen it on their website Herald.ie. I know it might not be the most reliable source. They had a Jet Provost at the 05' show. The Aer lingus 320 was nice however my one gripe was that the display was a bit conservative. The Chipmunk should formate with a PC 9 given the anniversary of it this year.

• Advertisement

Saw the article alright.....abit wow wow wow fast jets though!!

Snow,
    You are correct regarding the airspace issue. I remember someone in Dublin ATC telling me that if a good northerly wind was blowing and runway 34 at Dublin was in use the whole thing would be shut down.

West Dub,

Any of the USAF displays here ( except the Thunderbirds ) were just normal operational squadron displays not the dedicated ones. Previous F15,F16,A10 displays were from normal squadrons based in UK, Italy and Germany!!

You could display any of the above aircraft at Bray......just for the record with a 3 mile restricted area. Problem is with jet display teams ( Red Arrows ) they require a 6 mile area which would encroach seriously into Dublin's airspace so tall order i am afraid.

THE ONLY TORNADO YOU WILL EVER SEE AT BRAY:D:D:D

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/04/14/small-tornado-in-bray-no-one-hurt/

Duffer2010 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought Baldonnel is a million miles away from Dublin airport either?? I know it's been years since they've held any show but in 00' the traffic flying in and out of Dublin on a June weekend would have been substantial. Look at the types they had at the Air Spectacular that year flying over two days.
    Nice to see the website updated. I read that the guy flying the Hunter hopes to bring a Jet Provost also.
    its also a matter of restricted airspace and a fast jet,being what it is would encroach dublin [from bray].the reason they could get away with it at baldonnel is due to military airspace restrictions.....i was at the 2000 baldonel airshow too and when the freece tricolori were up flying their display a passanger jet flew over them.granted it was quite high above them and possably out of military airspace and clearly did not depart from dublin but as bray is not military airspace i cant see fast jets there,sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Spectacular 2000 was the last great airshw we will se in this country . I dont know what the problem with Bray is, but unless they get proper military fast jets, it will never make an impact. small shows at small airfields can work really well, but sea front shows need jets and noise. I remember seeing a Yak doing aerobatics at salthill , maybe 9 or 10 years ago. he did a fantastic display, really really good. Most of the crowd didnt give a toss. yet a few years later, you get a pair of US F-15s doing a pairs flypast, no aeros at all, and the crowd are rivetted . Did anyone else wait on after the Frecce on the saturday at Spectacular 2000 for the Tornado F3 and harrier to come back from displaying at Belfast. they came in, from Killiney direction, full pelt , run and break . Absolutely fantastic .

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

I remember that F3 display well as everyone though the show was over and were heading for the exits as the Tornado arrived back to put on his display, I also remember that he was supposed to open the show but listening to the conversation between the pilot and Baldonnel tower as he sat on the runway while a Dauphin was arriving back from the Phoenix park after collecting the President who was opening the show was hilarious.
    As usual there was a delay with the Dauphin arriving and the F3 pilot was telling the tower that he had a schedule to keep and couldn't hold any longer, the tower kept telling him that the heli was almost here but as we could see the park from Bal we knew that it still hadn't even taken off, eventually he had enough and said he had run out of time for his display at Bal and had to go straight away so just as the President stepped out of the Heli at the edge of the runway the Tornado hit the afterburner and disappeared into the sky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

Spectacular 2000 was the best air show I have ever been at.
    It was amazing.

sure did.i attended both days of air spectacular 2000.what really bugs me about bray is the very first show had a jet provost as the closing act so why not again [ i know the gnat team from the uk were meant to turn up about 2 year ago but they said that "the turbulence on the irish sea was too severe to make it",more like they were never asked in the first place and the orginiser lied].also why no other forigen military participants other than the us air force.again going back to the first year there was a royal netherlands air force pc-7 and an agusta bell ab 214 sar chopper:).and can we please have some other team instead of the blades,yes they are great at what they do but i have seen enough of them at this stage:rolleyes:

has anyone else noticed that 2 years ago when the c-117 turned up it flew in from behind the crowd,over bray town and over the crowds heads and the blades also flew over the crowds heads at the aer lingus 75th annaversary party at dublin last year....an absoloute no no as per international airshow safety proceedures :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

That really depends as i had a display permit a number of years ago. if they entered over the crowd line above 1500ft they would have been fine.

After passing the crowd line you could descend to display alt.
    Just my 2c

Advertisement