Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oi Paddy!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

woodoo wrote: »
    What year was this?

Last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    its quite simple.. they sing the same anti-irish songs that rangers do.. act like huns - so they get called huns..its as simple as that.

No i wont agree with that,, i call my wee rangers supportig nephew a wee hun... & hes a catholic.. and i went to school with plenty of catholic huns.. in fact ive even heard rangers fans refer to themselves as huns.. the term was coined due to rangers fans ramapaging behaviour across europe when following there team..why would hun equate protestant??

Its only soccor!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

I was on that Frazer island jeep jaunt down under and on day three we stopped at a restaurant on the way back. I got a coffee and another member of the group says "i thought you would get a beer" and then explained "as the irish like to drink so much". I didnt like it and explained we drink when we are on holiday and having a good time. This was a 19 yr old Dutch fella who dared utter this slur......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Meow_Meow wrote: »
    Last year

Thats incredible. What is wrong with these people. You are coming to steal his country. He is like a scared child.

What did you put it down too?

Thats incredible. What is wrong with these people. You are coming to steal his country. He is like a scared child.

It was really petty- I was at a formal function and because of his ties with Ireland and my interest in him as a historic person and whatnot a mutual friend introduced us. At first he looked at me pleasantly, but when our friend said "This is [name], she's from Dublin" he just raised his eyebrows and simply looked at my outstretched hand, before moving on without saying anything. Rather awkward, but I guess given his background it's hardly surprising. Once you've got a Nobel peace prize, there's no need to kiss ass and make empty gestures anymore.

• Advertisement

It was really petty- I was at a formal function and because of his ties with Ireland and my interest in him as a historic person and whatnot a mutual friend introduced us. At first he looked at me pleasantly, but when our friend said "This is [name], she's from Dublin" he just raised his eyebrows and simply looked at my outstretched hand, before moving on without saying anything. Rather awkward, but I guess given his background it's hardly surprising. Once you've got a Nobel peace prize, there's no need to kiss ass and make empty gestures anymore.

Pity that wasn't caught on camera. That would be one for youtube. What a fraud of a man. Peace man my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Teddy455

Has someone just update his wiki page?

I was once accused of being from Malahide. I was so offended I nearly dropped my monocle into my sherry. I'm clearly from portmarnock.

Teddy455 wrote: »

Brilliant :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It is one of those sayings that is very rarely used now and harps back to a less PC age. A bit like "Working like a black" whatever that means.
    Come in number 6, your time is up..... Number 9, are you OK?
    ..... he proceeded to lay down on his stomach in front of the car and look underneath....
    A rank amateur. A pro would have lain on his back - which would have been your cue to let your foot slip off the the clutch. :o Was his name Frederick, by any chance? Or Fritz, maybe? Possibly even Fred?
    When I was 17 I won a writing competition and the prize was a trip to Sky News.....
    Just out of interest, what was 2nd prize? :pac:
    ....Ahh, also met David Trimble at an event in London who refused to shake my hand when he was informed that I was from Dublin. Awkward.
    He probably thought you were Christy Burke. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what was 2nd prize? :pac
    A trip to RTE? ;)
    Nah, I think it was an iPod or something

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fitz265

i was in england wance got a taxi that usaly cost us 5 pound the taxi person on this particular night said 25 pound please we said it usaly cost us 5 pound he said yeah mate thats the rate usaly given to people who arent irish we got ot and hit running so he didnt get hes 5pound nat ta mind hes special 25pound rate for us irish. true or false yer own disgresion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I'd say that this combined with some people's assumptions of the English based on English football fans behaviour during the early 90s and lager louts on sun holidays all being assumed to be English has possibly tarnished their reputation somewhat.
    Not sure if this can be regarded as the case anymore. Certainly on the continent most countries have club football fans, whose behaviour is far worse than any seen these days by English fans. Italian & Dutch fans have a bad rep too, and that's before moving east towards Serbia, Russia and a lot of the former Soviet states. Bar a few unsavoury chants, the FA have done a better job than many of their continental counterparts.
    I'm sure the same happens the other way too. I've heard that lately the reputation of the Irish in Australia has taken a hit because of a lot of loutish behaviour, although most normal Australians won't constantly bitch about this to a random Irish person they meet but would happily do so to an English/Scottish/Welsh person.
    This is very true.
    Ahh, also met David Trimble at an event in London who refused to shake my hand when he was informed that I was from Dublin. Awkward.
    Always maintained that it was a travesty that Hume had to share the Nobel Peace prize with Trimble, a man who had to be pleaded with and coerced to enter the fray, - and only then when it suited him and his agenda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Teddy455 wrote: »
    Ha Ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Excellent Watson!i knew celts fans called gers fans huns but i didnt know the history.... cheers.

Actually I guess it goes back to this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancestry_of_Elizabeth_II

Queen Elizabeth II is the male-line great-granddaughter of Edward VII, who inherited the crown from his mother, Queen Victoria. His father, Victoria's consort, was Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha; hence Queen Elizabeth is a patrilineal descendant of Albert's family, the German princely House of Wettin.

The British called the Germans 'huns' during WWI and roundabouts. I'm guessing racial abuse goes back a long way in Glasgow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hey skippy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

old_aussie wrote: »
    Hey skippy.

Go eat some beets ye tanned criminal bastid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

LK_Dave wrote: »
    Got called a blood-clot once in Harlesden once by a drunk black guy. Being around the world and got called Paddy, Irish or IRA loads of times. Never worried me.
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I've never heard that. What does it mean? Is it racial?

LOL. No, it's not racial. It's just a general all-purpose Jamaican swear word though it can also used as an insult similar to the way Americans call someone a douche/bag. It's a reference to soiled female sanitary products.

bloodclaat bloodclat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Arthur Guinness, like a lot of his "Class" was Anglo Irish.

Whether that made them English or Irish depends on how good or bad they were.

If he had evicted a few tenants during the famine, he would have been English, but as he invented a beer famous the world over, he is Irish.

That's how I see it anyway.

He was Protestant but was a proud Irishman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Sindri wrote: »
    I added that to his Wikipedia page.:D:D:D
    Because Irish people generally appear to be more sympathetic to those who are being occupied than the occupier. We are more interested in peace keeping missions than expanding our influence abroad or playing games in the Middle East.

LOL! Just saw it XD
    It's all fun and games til it ends up in an arts student's history essay :P

Trimble is the son of William and Ivy Trimble, and grew up in a lower-middle class Presbyterian home in Bangor on the County Down coast.[6][7] He was educated at Bangor Grammar School in Bangor, County Down (1956–63).[8]
    He then studied at Queen's University of Belfast (QUB) from 1964 to 1968, winning the McKane Medal for Jurisprudence.[8] There he received a first class honours degree (the first at Queens in three years), becoming a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B).[9][10]
    He would not shake a persons hand because they were from Dublin.

:D love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭positron

While part of your post shows clear prejudice and racism, the part in bold isn't. While it may not have been the wisest way to phrase it, 30 years ago there were very few foreign people living in Ireland, particularly those of a different ethnicity. It certainly wasn't abuse he was giving and his remarks reflect more of a generational gap than anything else.

There was no need to bite your tongue for that.

See how you said 'different ethnicity'. As I had 'quoted' in the original post, I was referring to his use of the term 'coloured people', rather than what he was saying. Anyway, I agree it wasn't a malicious comment at all - especially compared to other experiences I've had.

Got mistaken for being English several times but never in a racist way. They see your white and hear your speaking english so obviously they assume your english.

In Ukraine whenever I tried to buy beer I was always offered Stella first, when I said no thanks I'm actually Irish they would say, ahhhhh Whiskey then?

In Amsterdam I met a man working in a shop with a heavy Cork accent. He was Dutch and had never been to Ireland, but he worked in an Irish bar since he was young, and learned English from cork men and women. He sounded more Irish than me!

Anyway this thread is about racism so I will add my story. Lived in Northern Enlgand for a year and was NEVER called Paddy or anything like it people were very nice. Was in London for a few hours and was called Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

There did seem to be this thing of it was ok to say whatever about an Irish person but jeez, if the same kinda things were thrown at a black or asian person, well end ot the world.
    wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Ah, it's not really the same though, is it? We're not a vulnerable ethnic minority.
    bwatson wrote: »
    There are 1.2 billion people in India alone. I'd hardly say that asians could be classed as a vulnerable ethnic minority.

They become ethnic minorities when they emigrate to another country. BME migrants are the poorest, most socially excluded people in Europe (and probably The States too). On the other hand, Irish people - for at least the last 20 years - have achieved social and economic parity with most (if not all) of the indigenous people in our host migrant countries.

Contemporary racism against Irish people lacks the severity, frequency and broader implications as it does for, say, a Nigerian or an Indian. While we might be considered an ethnic minority abroad, Irish people are certainly not "vulnerable" anymore. Anti-Irish racism - although abhorrent - cannot be considered the same as, say, anti-African racism.

They become ethnic minorities when they emigrate to another country. BME migrants are the poorest, most socially excluded people in Europe (and probably The States too). On the other hand, Irish people - for at least the last 20 years - have achieved social and economic parity with most (if not all) of the indigenous people in our host migrant countries.

Contemporary racism against Irish people lacks the severity, frequency and broader implications as it does for, say, a Nigerian or an Indian. While we might be considered an ethnic minority abroad, Irish people are certainly not "vulnerable" anymore. Anti-Irish racism - although abhorrent - cannot be considered the same as, say, anti-African racism.

Go for a pint after dark on the Shankill road in Belfast and tell me how timid anti Irish Racism is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Horse-poo. A racist chant, or verbal attack is a racist attack. Using words like "its a bit Irish" are clearly racist, and are based on ethnic superiority . The fact that is acceptable and "that a bit black" is not, shows Irish people probably have it worse.

As for Irish people's position in the UK, not really running anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Go for a pint after dark on the Shankill road in Belfast and tell me how timid anti Irish Racism is.

Whats interesting, in fact, is how in a State where they are beating themselves up 20 years after Stephen Lawrence doesn't even report this incident

catholic film extra teen left for dead after sectarian attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I'm making a much broader point. Northern Ireland is completely different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I always drink in the Berlin or rangers club instead of the scummy falls and i have a thick Dublin accent and support celtic.
    Your comment shows how often you're up there with all your experience :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

positron wrote: »
    See how you said 'different ethnicity'. As I had 'quoted' in the original post, I was referring to his use of the term 'coloured people', rather than what he was saying. Anyway, I agree it wasn't a malicious comment at all - especially compared to other experiences I've had.

His use of the term "coloured people" isn't racist because for a word or phrase to be racism depends on the context. There was nothing negative about you implied by what he said, it was just an observation.

30 years ago "coloured people" would have been the PC term for non-whites in this country. Not everyone keeps up to speed and older generations often keep their words and phrases even if they seem outdated or unusual to others. As I said, this encounter was more about a generational gap (and possibly culture shock) than anything else. Why did you bite your tongue when you were engaged in a friendly conversation and weren't being abused?

You have suffered racial abuse (which I find abhorrent) but this instance wasn't one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Indeed the description coloured was used by the Nigerian taxi (who was in the national news recently)driver when describing himself.http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0105/1224309831064.html

Advertisement