Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oi Paddy!

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I always drink in the Berlin or rangers club instead of the scummy falls and i have a thick Dublin accent and support celtic.
    Your comment shows how often you're up there with all your experience :rolleyes:

Are you saying you drink in the shankill road and never get any ill feeling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

That happened me in Bulgeria, I arived at a cigg shop and he wouldnt serve me and then called me a british **** :eek: I told him I was Irish not english and he apologised and gave me smokes for free :cool:

Same issue when I was in France years back, only it was weird. Stopped for a few hours in a small french village, like something out of 1920's, went into a small shop to get a bottle of water and was with my friend at the time. Soon as we walked in, heads turned in there, very close knit village. They were mumbling to each other. I picked up bottle of water, paid for it. the cashier is staring at us like we murdered her whole family or something, it was really horrible like we were scum or something and as we left the shop, the cashier screams after us AUFWEIDERSEHEN!!! (Goodbye in German)

To which my friend was so repulsed. She yells back "SLAN F****RS"

bloody war like. I realised then my friend actually looked like the perfect german woman. blonde haired, blue eyes ect.....:D Freaking weird though. Like a village stuck in some timewarp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I been called Paddy loads of times in Oz, am far from offended and think of it more as a term of endearment. I often refer to other Irish people as Paddys or Biddies and those wannabe Irish as Plastic Paddies. You get the typical Irish jokes the odd time but I usually give it back depending on the background of the Aussie (Italian/Greek/German/Questionable Parentage).

Trying to insult an Aussie by calling him a convict is a bit pointless, being from convict stock is now considered Australian royalty by many and ironically many convicts were Irish political prisoners from the rebellions of '98 and '68.

Australia is not the most PC country in world and having something like 200+ diiferent nationalities there are many others who are more deserving of a good sledging or hammering than Irish people who would be considered founding members of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

good god, why would anyone pay money to watch morris dancers?

are you mad:confused:

I once got taken to watch these once so I did .

www.coconutters.co.uk/history.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dejopadu

in harlem new york a few years ago & a black guy called me VANILLA FACE :))))))

made my day, lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

I was working for an english traffic management company here and the guy who was training me told me they call the "men at work" signs (paddys). For some reason the english seem to think we invented the man with the shovel sign.

mandrake - if u want to offend an ozzie call him Skippy, they go fookin mental haha

Its only soccor!

What is soccor?
    Is this him?!
    www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccor_Velho

fitz265 wrote: »
    i was in england wance got a taxi that usaly cost us 5 pound the taxi person on this particular night said 25 pound please we said it usaly cost us 5 pound he said yeah mate thats the rate usaly given to people who arent irish we got ot and hit running so he didnt get hes 5pound nat ta mind hes special 25pound rate for us irish. true or false yer own disgresion

is this Kerry-English :) WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Once when my mam was giving out to my brother he told her to go back to her own country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

dejopadu wrote: »
    in harlem new york a few years ago & a black guy called me VANILLA FACE :))))))

made my day, lol

The same happend to me a few years back.

I responded ''Hello sh!t head'' :pac:

IcedOut wrote: »
    The same happend to me a few years back.

I responded ''Hello sh!t head'' :pac:

if he had white hair you could have said shut it Guinness (lol) :):);):)

dejopadu wrote: »
    mandrake - if u want to offend an ozzie call him Skippy, they go fookin mental haha

If you called an Aussie a skippy they would probably just laugh, you would end up looking like some sort of pathetic imbecile.

It's sort of hard to insult an Aussie, sarcarsim is the first language of Australia and strine second. Like for example an Aussie will call his worst enemy a 'bit of a bastard' and his best mate 'a complete bastard'. That's the way it is.

You could try calling them a Bogan (like a Knacker) but most would find that a term of endearment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

mandrake04 wrote: »
    It's sort of hard to insult an Aussie
    Its really not, calling them criminals is usually an invitation to impotent rage and I've never had the opportunity to call one skippy but I shall indulge at the earliest opportunity. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

One of my favorites was from my time in Kalgoorlie. I was swimming in my girlfriend at the time's pool and the temperature rose to a high degree even for Aus. Her father told us to head inside, I took a little longer to emerge from the pool and I overheard the Dad saying that the stupid Irish Bastard doesn't understand the Sun. I held my tongue as I was raised better than to engage with such trash.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Its really not, calling them criminals is usually an invitation to impotent rage and I've never had the opportunity to call one skippy but I shall indulge at the earliest opportunity. :D

Did you read my post #274? and as for Skippy the Oz Rugby team calls themselves Wallabies FFS. Skippy is usually just another name for a wallaby.

It would be like calling someone from Cork a rebel, since they are from the rebel county.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

bwatson wrote: »
    Your anecdote does nothing to prove your initial statement.

In my experiences British travellers are recieved with the same general apathy as those from just about every other European nation.

It wouldn't particularly bother me if some simpletons abroad had a bad view of British people abroad anyway, it takes little effort to simply avoid these people.

Several times over the years I've had people be hostile to me but we're very friendly when they realised/we're told I was Irish and not British. You may not want it to be true but it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Did you read my post #274?
    I did, and very entertaining I found it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Did you read my post #274? and as for Skippy the Oz Rugby team calls themselves Wallabies FFS. Skippy is usually just another name for a wallaby.

Isn't Skippy a kangaroo, as in Skippy the Bush Kangaroo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

This thread started off pretty funny, then it turned into 20 paged of "they thought I was English" stories.

• Advertisement

calling an ozzie skippy is like calling an irish lad paddy, some dont mind it, some do - i didnt like the ozzie guys on the building site calling me a paddy so i started calling the ozzie guys skip or skippy - they stopped calling me paddy after about 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

This thread started off pretty funny, then it turned into 20 paged of "they thought I was English" stories.

20 pages? Weak. With the right options selected it would only be 8.

Advertisement