Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oi Paddy!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Got told "the famine is over,why dont you go home" by 40 000 + "football" fans... so i did!

Now im home i often get told im a plastic paddy!

you cant win! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Got called a hun and an orange bastard plenty of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Got called a hun and an orange bastard plenty of times.
    whats a Hun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

A German person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

My brother was getting the paddy thing at work in Australia, so he told them he was turned down for Australian citizenship as he didn't have a criminal record.

Oddly I've never gotten any although I've travelled widely enough.

• Advertisement

whats a Hun?
    A Protestant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

whats a Hun?
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    A Protestant.

Attila the Hun was Protestant? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Edz87 wrote: »
    Once when I was in a pub in Russia this lad shouted "NO ENGLISH HERE!!" at me, I told him I was actually Irish, then he smiled and bought me a drink. True story.

And you had a drink with him? Did it not bother you that he was nothing more than a vicious little racist?

I've no idea why the Irish seem to attract the racists when they go abroad. This is not the first thread I've seen where multiple posts follow the classic template of "I was in (insert eastern european or middle eastern nation here), I came across a (insert profession here) and he thought I was British, shouted xenophobic abuse....I told him I was an Irishman and not British... He apologized and we had a good time together..."

Are you all making it up? I've never been racially abused for being British while abroad. Maybe I go to more civilized destinations, or maybe I attract a better sort of person. There is certainly something going on as I am pretty well travelled.

What gets me the most is that you are all content to associate with these intolerant, poorly educated folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

I've been called a polish ****.
    Born and raised in Ireland by irish parents, so that was a laugh

whats a Hun?

Its a form of sectarian abuse used by ra shellick fans.

They maintain it is used to describe Rangers fans.

However, they sing a song informing fans to "go home, you huns" at many clubs in the SPL which aren't Rangers but are associated with having mainly protestant, unionist fanbases. Hearts is an obvious example.

The word hun is one they associate with a more germanic, protestant, culture of the non celtic races.

• Advertisement

a hun is a rangers fan not a protestant, i know plenty of catholic huns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Grew up in England in the 80s and 90s, so we sometimes got stick for being Irish. Mostly banter about bombs and stupid Irish jokes.
    One time this family who were always hostile to us on our street were having a big BBQ and all the kids in the neighbourhood were invited except us of course.

Me and my friend had to go there because he had to get his little sister to go home,so while i waited outside in the alleyway,he went inside for a few mins.

Next thing the father comes out (Scrawny little rat that he was:D) and asks me what i'm doing outside his house so i tell him i'm waiting for my mate and its a free country and i'll do what i like.

Next thing he says "F*ck off away from my gate, you Irish c*nt".
    So i say, "I bet you won't say that to my dad", and he says "go and get him then" bla bla bla.

So i went home, told my dad and he went mad.
    The two of us went over there to sort matters out, knocked on the front door and a Police officer opened the door and rained on the parade:D

We both got a caution for that:)

I believe its all changed over there now.

Moved back to Ireland 13 years ago and have on occasion been given stick for being "English". I had to fight a lot of dicks in my town in the early years of being back here.
    It doesn't happen anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

bwatson wrote: »

However, they sing a song informing fans to "go home, you huns" at many clubs in the SPL which aren't Rangers but are associated with having mainly protestant, unionist fanbases. Hearts is an obvious example.

The word hun is one they associate with a more germanic, protestant, culture of the non celtic races.
    Excellent Watson!i knew celts fans called gers fans huns but i didnt know the history.... cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

I got a glass across the head in Edingburgh for being a 'fenian c*nt'

I can only assume it was because of my accent, which he must have heard passing because I had never seen or spoke to him before in my life.

I also have no idea why he decided that I deserved it more than the rest of the group of 15-20 Irish people that I was standing with.

rangers fans (of all religion)= huns

kilmarnock ,motherwell,hearts,airdrie,falkirk & a few other teams fans = huns without the bus fare

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    a hun is a rangers fan not a protestant, i know plenty of catholic huns

You know very well that this is not what is meant by the vast majority of celtic fans.

Explain to me, please, why your song "go home, you huns" is sung (horifically out of tune for the most part) at so many SPL grounds which aren't Ibrox?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Two incidents of note, my GF (now wife) in the USA, introduced me to her black friend, a very dapper gentleman.
    He was quite posh, his mother was some kind of diplomat.
    Evidentially she had some visible vaginal scarring caused by his be-mouthed silver spoon gashing her gash as he exited on his birth day.

Anyway, we're at this dinner party, we're introduced and he makes the comment:

"Oh you're Irish! Don't you wish you were English?"
    "Don't you wish you were white?" I answered.

You could've heard a pin drop.

We get on quite well now.

Second time, I'm here in California on a conference call to a design center in Cambridge England (I make microchips) and every time I say something I can hear them taking the piss in the back ground "Ahh to be sure to be sure!", "Faith and begorrah!" than kind of ****e.

At the end of the conference call I ask them if they think the first revision of the chip will work, to which they answer in the affirmative.

I say I have a low confidence level that it'll come up at all.
    They ask why to which I answer that if they can't figure out how to mute a phone prior to mocking my accent, it doesn't auger well for their technical design chops.

They freak out and make all kinds of apologies and claim that they are not "racists"

So then I really started to have fun with them asking why is it they think a nation of most white folks only a few miles accross the sea from them in the northwest of europe, are to be considered a separate race? Why is their sense of other so finely tuned?

I let them squirm for a bit

kilmarnock ,motherwell,hearts,airdrie,falkirk & a few other teams fans = huns without the bus fare
    So it is about Protestants then.

So, simply protestants who don't necessarily support Rangers then?

Your club is vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

falan wrote: »

Moved back to Ireland 13 years ago and have on occasion been given stick for being "English". I had to fight a lot of dicks in my town in the early years of being back here.
    It doesn't happen anymore.

That cant be true surely.... unless you are in the British Army or PSNI or something... because its not the Brits as such that people want to leave...its the army etc... They dont hate Brits (or English) so much its the occupation.... Or so I have seen it said in here anyway ;)

Surely people dont confuse the 2 :eek: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

And you had a drink with him? Did it not bother you that he was nothing more than a vicious little racist?

I've no idea why the Irish seem to attract the racists when they go abroad. This is not the first thread I've seen where multiple posts follow the classic template of "I was in (insert eastern european or middle eastern nation here), I came across a (insert profession here) and he thought I was British, shouted xenophobic abuse....I told him I was an Irishman and not British... He apologized and we had a good time together..."

Are you all making it up? I've never been racially abused for being British while abroad. Maybe I go to more civilized destinations, or maybe I attract a better sort of person. There is certainly something going on as I am pretty well travelled.

What gets me the most is that you are all content to associate with these intolerant, poorly educated folk.

Maybe, just maybe you dont get abused for being British when you're abroad because you sound Irish?!

BTW I have no idea what your talking about, I dont attract racist people when abroad, I dont associate with it and I would never accept it!!

Please don't come on here sounding all high and mighty about going to more civilized places than the "Irish" or "WE ALL" are content to associate with these people. You do realise that you are spouting the same crap you're giving out about!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

a vicious little racist ... the Irish seem to attract the racists
    *facepalm*
    Are you all making it up?
    Its because we speak English and clearly aren't Americans.
    I've never been racially abused for being British while abroad. Maybe I go to more civilized destinations, or maybe I attract a better sort of person.
    I've heard English people being called "yucks" on a couple of occasions abroad, I guess U and K or something.

You know very well that this is not what is meant by the vast majority of celtic fans.

Explain to me, please, why your song "go home, you huns" is sung (horifically out of tune for the most part) at so many SPL grounds which aren't Ibrox?

its quite simple.. they sing the same anti-irish songs that rangers do.. act like huns - so they get called huns..its as simple as that.

No i wont agree with that,, i call my wee rangers supportig nephew a wee hun... & hes a catholic.. and i went to school with plenty of catholic huns.. in fact ive even heard rangers fans refer to themselves as huns.. the term was coined due to rangers fans ramapaging behaviour across europe when following there team..why would hun equate protestant??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

An American in a bar in Indiana asked me was I 'a Mick'. I told him I was Irish 'you dumb yank cünt'.

But it's true, the British do have a bad name abroad i'm afraid.

Was in Thailand, Koh Samui to be exact. Met these two youngfellas on the street who were from Denmark. One of them was cut across his stomach. They were on the rampage looking for the "English" lads who apparently did it for no reason. They hated the English.
    I think i managed to talk some sense into them by telling them to remember where they were and it wasn't worth getting locked up "looooooongggg time".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Huns? I always thought the huns = the bosh = ze germans.

So, simply protestants who don't necessarily support Rangers then?

Your club is vile.

your club is financially bankrupt

morally bankrupt

& second in the league

Hoopy new year ya hun! :) 1-0

falan wrote: »
    But it's true, the British do have a bad name abroad i'm afraid.

Was in Thailand, Koh Samui to be exact. Met these two youngfellas on the street who were from Denmark. One of them was cut across his stomach. They were on the rampage looking for the "English" lads who apparently did it for no reason. They hated the English.
    I think i managed to talk some sense into them by telling them to remember where they were and it wasn't worth getting locked up "looooooongggg time".

Your anecdote does nothing to prove your initial statement.

In my experiences British travellers are recieved with the same general apathy as those from just about every other European nation.

It wouldn't particularly bother me if some simpletons abroad had a bad view of British people abroad anyway, it takes little effort to simply avoid these people.

your club is financially bankrupt

morally bankrupt

& second in the league

Hoopy new year ya hun! :) 1-0

I'm not a Rangers fan. You don't have to be a Rangers fan to hate Celtic. As you have already suggested, very many clubs in Scotland have a particularly strong hatred of your classless fanbase. Maybe you should stop playing the victim card all the time and drop the "It's not us, it's them" attitude?

1-0 what, out of interest?

• Advertisement

You said in a previous post that you are well travelled, I am also well travelled.
    Another time i was in Poland, in a taxi in Krakow with Polish friends. The taxi driver did not like the English as they are always fighting and exposing themselves. His words, not mine. Saying that he probably would have said the same about the Irish to someone else.

Advertisement