Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oi Paddy!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

It is one of those sayings that is very rarely used now and harps back to a less PC age. A bit like "Working like a black" whatever that means.

Didn't one of our politicians recently get in trouble for saying working like a black.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

'Paddy' wouldn't really bother me tbh..

Last time we were in the Canaries, the 'Lucky Lucky' lads kept referring to my OH as 'Del Boy' that was a little annoying.. they just think we're all fecking British :rolleyes:

And, no... he doesn't look like Del Boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Experienced the "oh, thank goodness your not English" when you're Irish when abroad in Belgium, Italy, France and Holland. Think it might be to do with the behaviour of English football fans and the Iraq war(1991 & 2003).

Also in Birmingham, did overhear some fella describe Ireland as a land of savages, dirt tracks and cattle sheds. My gf at the time was gonna explode so we quickly moved to another pub and met lovely English people. Moral of the story, there are d1cks everywhere and they do not represent the views of a whole nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

woodoo wrote: »
    Didn't one of our politicians recently get in trouble for saying working like a black.

mary o'rourke, thanked her campaign staff after she got nominated for something. you could almost hear people pulling at their collars and looking sideways when she said it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I have an English accent but I come from an Irish family. I once worked in a bank in this real Little Englander town in Hampshire. I worked with someone who just hated someone who wasn't English. He was a counter manager and worked with someone who was Irish (me), Welsh and a Sikh. The abuse he used to hurl at us were unbelievable. The girl who was Sikh got it the worst due to it being ranged from 'darkie' to suicide bomber and all sorts.

I got the usual famine jokes, stupidity, terrorist, alcoholic etc. Some I brushed off as banter but some I did find offensive but none you would choose to rise to as the insults were coming from my boss and all. The best he did I always remember was when I offered to give him a lift home once. He cycled to work and his wheel got a puncture when riding to work in the morning. Anyway I approached the car with him and then he proceeded to lay down on his stomach in front of the car and look underneath. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was just checking, deadly serious like, if I'd put a car bomb on my car! I really felt like saying why don't you just walk home but I'd already offered him a lift home but it did really cross in the line. I was doing him a favour and he could have accepted it without insulting my background in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

He cycled to work and his wheel got a puncture when riding to work in the morning. Anyway I approached the car with him and then he proceeded to lay down on his stomach in front of the car and look underneath. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was just checking, deadly serious like, if I'd put a car bomb on my car! I really felt like saying why don't you just walk home but I'd already offered him a lift home but it did really cross in the line. I was doing him a favour and he could have accepted it without insulting my background in the process.

Should have taken him on a detour and told him 'Gerry' has organised a few of the boys to take him away for a questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The best he did I always remember was when I offered to give him a lift home once. He cycled to work and his wheel got a puncture when riding to work in the morning. Anyway I approached the car with him and then he proceeded to lay down on his stomach in front of the car and look underneath. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was just checking, deadly serious like, if I'd put a car bomb on my car! I really felt like saying why don't you just walk home but I'd already offered him a lift home but it did really cross in the line. I was doing him a favour and he could have accepted it without insulting my background in the process.

Sounds like an absolute legend. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

woodoo wrote: »
    Should have taken him on a detour and told him 'Gerry' has organised a few of the boys to take him away for a questioning.

:D
    Sounds like an absolute legend. :pac:

He really wasn't. He was only my boss for a 3 months. He got the sack for assaulting another member of staff (who was a woman by the way). Nice chap... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

gurramok wrote: »
    Experienced the "oh, thank goodness your not English" when you're Irish when abroad in Belgium, Italy, France and Holland. Think it might be to do with the behaviour of English football fans and the Iraq war(1991 & 2003).

Also in Birmingham, did overhear some fella describe Ireland as a land of savages, dirt tracks and cattle sheds. My gf at the time was gonna explode so we quickly moved to another pub and met lovely English people. Moral of the story, there are d1cks everywhere and they do not represent the views of a whole nation.

So I can presume the anti English bollocks on this thread aren't indicative of the whole nation then.

That's good, because it isn't.

Other than Ireland, I have never ever been abused in europe for being English and neither has any person I know. I guess all the Irish are mistakenly getting all the abuse on our behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

So I can presume the anti English bollocks on this thread aren't indicative of the whole nation then.
    Normally I'd say the plural of anecdote isn't data, but when this many unrelated individuals come back with the exact same story...

...you have to start scratching your chin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

At an Ireland v spain match in the late 70,s got assaulted by a gang of Irish blokes as they thought I was spanish, I have very sallow skin ;-(

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Normally I'd say the plural of anecdote isn't data, but when this many unrelated individuals come back with the exact same story...

...you have to start scratching your chin.

And marvel at the amount of copycat bull****ting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

No need to throw a paddy over it.

Its not like this boards thread is the first place in history most people have heard of/experienced these issues. I recall something similar happening to some friends of mine thirty years ago.

May as well face it, English people aren't popular.

I do find it irionic the hatred for the French from the British posters in the thread though, quite a lot of French people I know are quite Anglophilic. They sort of see them as the little sister done good.

I do find it irionic the hatred for the French from the British posters in the thread though, quite a lot of French people I know are quite Anglophilic. They sort of see them as the little sister done good.

As far as trolling goes, that is absolute crap I'm afraid.

And fyi, the French hate pretty much everybody.

As far as trolling goes, that is absolute crap I'm afraid.
    Eloquence worthy of the bard himself.
    And fyi, the French hate pretty much everybody.
    Clearly you've no clue what French people are like, which sadly fits the stereotype of English people. I've only recently returned from the heartland of France myself, had a lovely time, and speak a fair bit of French.

Then again, so do you, being English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

A black lad in Spain trying to sell my sunglasses kept calling me Del-boy so I called him Denzel. :D

Eloquence worthy of the bard himself.

Clearly you've no clue what French people are like, which sadly fits the stereotype of English people. I've only recently returned from the heartland of France myself, had a lovely time, and speak a fair bit of French.

Then again, so do you, being English.

I do actually, but French French, not the Norman French (Which bares little resemblance to the French of today) you are rather pathetically trying to claim we all speak. There is also patches of Norman French in Irish as well, not that anyone speaks that anymore. Our little brothers on Lesser Britain practically all speak English these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

That's good, because it isn't.

There are some English people with chips on their shoulders about Irish people in England, relatives of mine have experienced it but those same people have met dead on English people and I think its a tiny minority who are discriminating. Same for any anti-English sentiment from Irish people towards English people here.

Myself as you know from my posting record(:)) has no problem with anyone, I even worked with English people! I'd even have a pint or two with our resident loyalist posters :)
    Other than Ireland, I have never ever been abused in europe for being English and neither has any person I know. I guess all the Irish are mistakenly getting all the abuse on our behalf.

The English tourist favourite destination is Spain and I have never been there so cannot speak of experiences there. I sincerely do think the other continentals hostility towards the English is because of soccer fans and the Iraq war rather than anything historic, it was mentioned a few times at the time by 'da foreners' :)

I do actually, but French French, not the Norman French (Which bares little resemblance to the French of today) you are rather pathetically trying to claim we all speak. There is also patches of Norman French in Irish as well, not that anyone speaks that anymore. Our little brothers on Lesser Britain practically all speak English these days.
    Hahahah, oh dear! Do us a favour and look up "English words of French origin". Stifle your nationalistic leanings for the minute and a half it takes to type that into google. Approximately a third of all English words are derived directly from French, in no uncertain terms, and probably another third are derived from those.

Odd how you never hear people protesting that English is also derived from German as well, you'd have thought with the Bretagnan fascination with Nazis that would be more objectionable.

In fact, there's not much of English to distinguish it from either language, except for the fact that it is rooted in both languages. Grand Bretagne ha, France's most successful colony. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Lets all be honest we let on we're english when acting the bollix when abroad ;)

seriously though i've often noticed when in spain and portugal the lack of english spoken when asking for directions, ordering food ect until they realise you are not and all of a sudden they're fluent, a form of racism itself really i guess...

In fact, there's not much of English to distinguish it from either language, except for the fact that it is rooted in both languages. Grand Bretagne ha, France's most successful colony. :D

Colony? we spent the majority of the past 900 years kicking their arses. except of course when they needed rescuing from the Germans.

After the Normans (Who weren't really French) they did have two more attempts at invading England, but were let down poorly by the Irish on both attempts.

Once in 1798 when the Irish told them that everyone in Ireland wanted them, but it turned out only a few did and they were sent home with their tales between their legs and once when an Irish general lead the invasion of Britain through Wales. That time they found a load of port, got drunk and ended up surrendering to a few local woman who had turned up to see what was going on.

There's only one country in the British isles that's a colony, but the locals refuse to accept it.

Now, off you run, i believe Manchester United are on BBC tonight so you will be able to nip off, sink a few pints of that good old English beer invented by the fine Englishman, Arthur Guinness and watch it down the kings Head.

Colony? we spent the majority of the past 900 years kicking their arses. except of course when they needed rescuing from the Germans.

After the Normans (Who weren't really French) they did have two more attempts at invading England, but were let down poorly by the Irish on both attempts.

Once in 1798 when the Irish told them that everyone in Ireland wanted them, but it turned out only a few did and they were sent home with their tales between their legs and once when an Irish general lead the invasion of Britain through Wales. That time they found a load of port, got drunk and ended up surrendering to a few local woman who had turned up to see what was going on.

There's only one country in the British isles that's a colony, but the locals refuse to accept it.

Now, off you run, i believe Manchester United are on BBC tonight so you will be able to nip off, sink a few pints of that good old English beer invented by the fine Englishman, Arthur Guinness and watch it down the kings Head.

hmmm... i really dont like you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

I normally get remarks on my ethnicity, e.g. dirty mexican,illegal latin immigrant, i was also called an Polish prick once........the problem i have is that my whole family along with me are Irish :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

^This is historically inaccurate. And shows a real lack knowledge.

To be exact you spent the last 900 years meddling in European affairs and scuttling off across the channel whenever someone lifted a hanky. It worked too, right up until Nazi Germany bombed the living daylights out of ye, which would have been a successful strategy only the Germans forgot that the average Englishman was so used to getting ordered around by their French descended betters that bombing the entire country into rubble would have been pointless. Stiff upper lip what what, especially if you're a peasant.

Ah England, spreading her legs for whoever fancied a go since French was invented.

You didn't bother googling what I suggested, did you?
    I'm enjoying a rather fine German weissbier at the moment, thanks, I might move on to the French Cognac later.

I guess if I mixed the two the frothy unpalatable mush resultant might as well be called English.

These last few posts are clever, witty, well thought out with history to boot... so i'm gonna revert to petty name calling, its all i'm up to really ;)

Sindri wrote: »
    ^This is historically inaccurate. And shows a real lack knowledge.

ssshhh, it doesn't seem to bother the Doc so i thought I'd join in.
    To be exact you spent the last 900 years meddling in European affairs and scuttling off across the channel whenever someone lifted a hanky. It worked too, right up until Nazi Germany bombed the living daylights out of ye, which would have been a successful strategy only the Germans forgot that the average Englishman was so used to getting ordered around by their French descended betters that bombing the entire country into rubble would have been pointless. Stiff upper lip what what, especially if you're a peasant.

Ah England, spreading her legs for whoever fancied a go since French was invented.

It was just a good job we could call on our west british friends to rebuild the country for us. It gave them a job as well after they ****ed up their economy, the first time that is, it happened again in the 50s, then the 80s and is currently happening again. its no wonder no one in Ireland bothers learning Irish, you'd never get to use it in London/Manchester/Liverpool etc.:D
    You didn't bother googling what I suggested, did you?

No, because that would imply i give a shoite, which I don't.:p
    I'm enjoying a rather fine German weissbier at the moment, thanks, I might move on to the French Cognac later.

I guess if I mixed the two the frothy unpalatable mush resultant might as well be called English.

An Irishman enjoying a few drinks thanks to the French and the Germans. It's good to see the Eurozone in action.

I'd stock up though, Merkozy will be making you pay double for that soon.;)

There are some English people with chips on their shoulders about Irish people in England, relatives of mine have experienced it but those same people have met dead on English people and I think its a tiny minority who are discriminating. Same for any anti-English sentiment from Irish people towards English people here.

Myself as you know from my posting record(:)) has no problem with anyone, I even worked with English people! I'd even have a pint or two with our resident loyalist posters :)

In my experience of people of people calling me a "Tan" or (for some obscure reason) chanting IRA at me, instead of putting me down, it just makes them look the complete tool. The same would apply to someone doing something similar to an Irish person in England.

I have never had to counter any anti English comments, because my Irish friends are always very quick to jump in.
    The English tourist favourite destination is Spain and I have never been there so cannot speak of experiences there. I sincerely do think the other continentals hostility towards the English is because of soccer fans and the Iraq war rather than anything historic, it was mentioned a few times at the time by 'da foreners' :)

the cheapest tourist destination is Spain, which is why it tends to attract the dregs. If you go to Magaluf, you tend to meet a lower form of life than you would, for example, in Pollensa.

I'm surprised you mentioned Belgium, every time I've been there the people I have met have been overly friendly and approached me when they found out i was English. I've onl been to the a couple of places though, never Brussels.

• Advertisement

It was just a good job we could call on our west british friends to rebuild the country for us. It gave them a job as well after they ****ed up their economy, the first time that is, it happened again in the 50s, then the 80s and is currently happening again. its no wonder no one in Ireland bothers learning Irish, you'd never get to use it in London/Manchester/Liverpool etc.:D
    You wouldn't like a few more feet meters of rope there laddie? :D

Call us back when millions of people are paying good money to watch morris dancing instead of Irish dancing, then you know you've finally achieved your own culture.

Advertisement