Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oi Paddy!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    Getting lectured on sectarianism by someone from ballymena is akin to getting lectured on racism by an afrikkaner from 80s south africa.
    Should I point out the ironic prejudice assumption that everyone from Ballymena has a sectarian streak in them. That's what I gather from that statement anyway, correct me if I'm picking if up properly. Not to say I agree with the other gentleman on what he's saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Well my name is already Paddy so they're out of insults for me by this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Well my name is already Paddy so they're out of insults for me by this stage.
    is that right, Mick?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Yahew wrote: »
    is that right, Mick?

No it's Paddy.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I spent over 15 years in london and i worked with londoners and other nationalities and never experienced any anti irish feelings at all ....but some nationalists love to harp on the idea .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

Sindri wrote: »
    I thought it was because Ibrox was the only stadium the Nazi German football team played in, in Britain, and they flew the swastika.

I think nazi germany played england at white hart lane

from wiki
    The next match between the two teams was played on 4 December 1935, at White Hart Lane in London, the first full international to take place between the teams in England and the first since the rise to power of Hitler and the Nazis in 1933.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Says the Irish poster writing in English....

Yes because boards.ie is 99% as gaeilge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

bwatson wrote: »
    I think it is fairly obvious what I am referring to when I allude to the French owing Britain extreme gratitude. Especially so when you consider that I was responding to a largely incoherant rambling about anti-British Frenchmen (shock horror), de Valera and Charles De Gaulle.

Were it not for the iron will of the British in the time that De Gaulle is most noted for (World War 2/ The Emergency for you Doc) France would currently either be under the control of the Nazi Regime or the Soviet Union. I'm sure the thought of either would make any Frenchman in the 21st
    century shudder. The dentally challenged French farmer was a moron. There, I said it. ;)

Everybody won WWII on their own, apparently. Britain lost to the Nazis when they ran to DunKirk. There was no hope of a D-Day until the Americans came on, and the Russians would probably have won against the Nazis anyway, DDay was - in retrospect - about curtailing them as much as the Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Best anti-Paddy joke:

Guy I knew worked in London two days a week, three days in Dublin. He got sick of all the Paddy shoite, so told them this joke. No more Paddy-bashing.

How long does it take an Englishwoman to have a shit?

About nine months.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 46 CopperPipe

Pretty sure I posted this on a different forum before and I also robbed it off some comedian.

Living in California for the past few months. I was out having a few drinks one night and got talking to this pure american clown at the bar, the conversation went like this...

American: That's a great accent you have, are you from Britain?
    Me: No, I'm from Ireland
    American: Are they not the same place?
    Me: No they're not, but don't worry about it all ye Mexicans make that mistake!

Came close to getting a puck in the jaw for that one! The beauty of it is you can change it up a bit for different nationalities! Auzzies/New Zealand, English/ Welsh...I say just get creative!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Not experienced any racism directly whilst in England, what I have noticed is casual stereotyping of the Irish.

Was in work one time when a colleague remarked to someone, "That's a bit Irish, isn't it?" in reference to something stupid or backwards, oblivious to the fact I was sitting opposite. Raised eyebrows from myself were all that was required to ellicit an apology/explanation.

For some anyway, no matter how many degrees, professional titles, success, monetary wealth, etc., an Irish person has, "Paddy" will always be a byword for stupidity and drunkeness.

Mind you, when you see the way our politicians are portrayed abroad, it's not hard to see why the stereotype keeps perpetuating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

ahyeahok wrote: »
    I think nazi germany played england at white hart lane

from wiki
    It was also during the 30's, that Ibrox hosted a famous International football match, in which Scotland played the pride of Hitler's Nazi Germany. In a precursor for what was to happen in World War 2, the German team of 1936, tried to blitz the Scottish defense, and for a while it looked like the Nazis might get a result, but Scotland held on, the tide eventually turned, and the Germans where finally over run, with the final result, 2-0 to Scotland.

;) That's why they're are called Huns. The stadium was draped in swastikas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

bwatson wrote: »
    I've no idea why the Irish seem to attract the racists when they go abroad.

What gets me the most is that you are all content to associate with these intolerant, poorly educated folk.

I was with a group of friends in a bar in Milan and some guy was eyeballing us for a while and later threw some anti-English remarks our way (in broken English). We then told him we were Irish and all of a sudden he loved us (I assume because he thought we hated the English too). He then shouted things along the lines of "**** the queen" while being cheered on by his mates and then stood up, gave a fascist salute and shouted "Lazio, Lazio, Lazio." Don't know what happened then as we didn't stick about.

So, although you may not have witnessed any such behaviour yourself, it does happen, though this example shows the caliber of person who does it and no, we are not all content to associate with them.

On the same trip we went to go into a nightclub and as we walked to the door they just said no. I assumed they thought we were too young and took out my passport to show my age but the bouncer just looked at the front of it and let us in. I don't know why, but based on my other Milan experience, I made my own conclusion... but don't really know.
    Have to say I have had a few stupid things said to me when I have been living or travelling abroad

Another time playing in a 5-a-side soccer tournament, everyone on our team was Irish and we gave away a free-kick and I was holding onto the ball and an opposition player shouted at me "we are not playing f**king Paddy football"

To be fair, that's a good one.
    Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Not experienced any racism directly whilst in England, what I have noticed is casual stereotyping of the Irish.

Was in work one time when a colleague remarked to someone, "That's a bit Irish, isn't it?" in reference to something stupid or backwards.

I've actually heard that term in Ireland, by Irish people including my own family... fuckin' Irish.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Jake1 wrote: »
    When I lived in the states a few black guys screamed at me, yo white bitch.. and a few other choice words.

I did the White Power salute and roared White Power!!!

( then I legged it):o
    Have you ever watched the Olympics? Don't run away from black people. Them lads is fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Never received any abuse before apart from jokes now and again from English friends, but I'm well able to give it back :D just look at Jeremy Kyle. I don't know if many will agree with me but the majority of people outside of Ireland (the Republic) seem to always have limited or historical knowledge on Ireland including people from the North in past experiences. Told a few people from Belfast I was from Clare and they said where was that beside Dublin ? :D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I was in Cologne a good few years back for the DTM in the Nurburgring, I was out in town with a few of the Irish guys that I met on the trip and a group of German lads came up to me in the street and asked if I was English. I said no, I'm Irish and they apologised and wanted to shake my hand.

They didn't look like the hand shaking type to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Got called a terrorist spud muncher by an elderly Pakistani fella in a chipper in manchester. Was pretty funny though as he was fuming about something

• Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

A lot of people here in Perth say 'to be sure, to be sure' to me when they realise i'm Irish, which is something I never heard anyone Irish say. So not only are they being racist(well sorta, technically), they are being misinformed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Their family was probably Irish too

Only difference is you went there to work and their family were deported for stealing sheep

• Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

mikemac1 wrote: »

Only difference is you went there to work and their family were deported for stealing sheep

:D

Australian Immigration officer asks on arrival: Do you have a criminal record?

Foreigner: Didn't realise it was still a requirement!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

cournioni wrote: »
    I was in Cologne a good few years back for the DTM in the Nurburgring, I was out in town with a few of the Irish guys that I met on the trip and a group of German lads came up to me in the street and asked if I was English. I said no, I'm Irish and they apologised and wanted to shake my hand.

They didn't look like the hand shaking type to say the least.

Ah don't mind that,they just have their back up over that hitler thing a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

davet82 wrote: »
    Have you ever been racially abused when abroad?

Few years ago I got a taxi in Manchester and when I got out of the taxi, the driver informed me he wouldn't have picked me up if he knew I was Irish! :(

any experinces?

I got called a D4 prick in Copper Face Jacks one night.....

I'm not even from Dublin....does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Not sure if many, (if any at all) penal colonies were set up in WA. Migration perhaps from the eastern states. Personally I found Perth and WA to be very "English". Lots of 1st gen economic migrants and retirees from the UK set up there aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

The nearest experience i had was one time in the City west hotel, this thick dublin scanger (on hearing my kerry accent)kept asking me what it was like living on a farm!
    I was born in Manchester and lived there for years,i've never been on a farm in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

And another one

Working in a factory in Yorkshire
    People were lovely and a lot more friendly and less stressed then Londoners I found

And if you can hold a conversation about football you're halfway there, football mad in those parts. Great people

But a folder goes missing and "that's so Irish"
    Invoice had a mistake and "that's Irish"
    "It's pure Irish" if a box has a wrong label

It wasn't aimed at me, just a saying they have.
    They'd be saying even if there was no Irish people around

And I don't like it at all
    Thing is I've heard the same saying in Ireland too.
    Irish equals incompetence and carelessness it seems. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Was approached by a few lads in Paris because they thought I was English. When I told them I was Irish they were delighted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Did a postgraduate course in Belfast, the only person from the Republic there.
    You mean Ireland, the name of our country is Eire / Ireland as per our constitution.
    Got some good natured ribbing about my bogger culchie accent and asking me to say "You'll never take me lucky charms", remember that TV ad?
    I don't care, played along with it

Of course, be obsequious, bow the knee to the racist gob****es, lie down let them walk all over you, never speak up, lose your voice and your human right to dignity.
    ... Why? Why I ask? I've no vote up north, I never once said anything political, I had no enemies that I knew off, very easy going and got on with everyone.

To this day I've no idea who defaced my folder and all my work ...
    Simple; they tested your mettle and you were found wanting so the upped the level of disrespect.
    ... And what are they teaching in schools up there? Where are you from they ask, oh Tipperary, it's near Limerick.
    Limerick, is that near Dublin??? :confused:

I know where Coleraine and Omagh, Garrison and Cookstown and lots of other towns are.
    How can someone from Belfast not know where Limerick is?
    If you can't even speak about your country using its legal name, why should they interest themselves where all these foreign places are?

The main reasons are the usual ones; isolationism, small-mindedness, reading the Belfast telegraph, focus on London and things English in order to appear more "British", all that auld stuff and nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

And I don't like it at all
    Thing is I've heard the same saying in Ireland too.
    Irish equals incompetence and carelessness it seems. :(
    Its that kind of casual racism that needs to be stamped out hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Got called a terrorist spud muncher by an elderly Pakistani fella in a chipper in manchester. Was pretty funny though as he was fuming about something

Shoulda called him a curry or a korma, or a chicken tikka masala.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Its that kind of casual racism that needs to be stamped out hard.

It is one of those sayings that is very rarely used now and harps back to a less PC age. A bit like "Working like a black" whatever that means.

Advertisement