Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oi Paddy!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    your club is financially bankrupt

morally bankrupt

& second in the league

Hoopy new year ya hun! :) 1-0

Moreover, after explaining that many people of the protestant religion and of British nationality see the term "hun" as one with racial connotations, you have proceeded to once again use it. This time you have directed it at me personally. I have reported your post for racist and sectarian abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

had a fella come into me in serious pain for an extraction once who tried to tell me a joke. it wasn't a bit funny, but then he said "oh you're irish, i'll just say it a lot slower for you"
    only time i've refused to treat someone who was competent. he left in the same pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

i was sitting at a bar in spain with a large group of irish lads and got talking to a large group of english lads - some black some white, there main lad was giving it socks about us being paddys, pikeys, gypo's etc and wouldnt accept that it was or could be offensive. called him a dirty n#gger b#astard to gauge his reaction, it nearly backfired badly because both groups were fairly well on and all in late teens early twenties so stupidly aggresive.
    after a bit of a nose to nose he seen the light and apologised, and we had a few drinks together and he turned out to be a sound fella, just a bit ignorant - i think he taught only black people could be victims of racism

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Got called a paki b@stard when I worked in call centre.

Not sure if racist or just plan stupid.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

had a fella come into me in serious pain for an extraction once who tried to tell me a joke. it wasn't a bit funny, but then he said "oh you're irish, i'll just say it a lot slower for you"
    only time i've refused to treat someone who was competent. he left in the same pain.
    are you a dentist? i cant figure out what the last part of your post means,he was competent and left in pain???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

bwatson wrote: »
    I'm not a Rangers fan. You don't have to be a Rangers fan to hate Celtic. As you have already suggested, very many clubs in Scotland have a particularly strong hatred of your classless fanbase. Maybe you should stop playing the victim card all the time and drop the "It's not us, it's them" attitude?

1-0 what, out of interest?

I see you are from that stronghold of equality ballymena ie the "rev" Ian Paisleys hometown.. well here is UEFAs word on whether the term hun is sectarian,
    UEFA on the term "Hun"

Following correspondence in September 2008, UEFA confirmed that Hun is not a sectarian term to a dishevelled Rangers fan!

Original Letter
    Dear Sirs,
    I feel compelled to write to you this evening to lodge a complaint about the offensive chanting by Celtic fans during their home game with Aalborg this evening.

I was utterly shocked to hear the Celtic fans sing ‘ There’s no HUNS in Europe’. The use of the word ‘HUNS’, in the context of Scottish society, is a sick sectarian slur on the protestant community and must be condemned by all right thinking people.

I find this chant and the use of this word, utterly reprehensible, and I am angry and annoyed that these so called fans consistently sing these songs and never appear to be reprimanded by UEFA.

Surely, such blatantly bigoted, sectarian, ant-protestant chants are contrary to UEFA rules, or is there a specific exception for Celtic Football Club.

I am not prepared to be openly insulted by these apologists for terrorists and murderers. It is deplorable that their sickening chants in support of Irish terrorists have been ignored by UEFA in the past, and I’m not prepared to tolerate such a blatant attack upon my religion on this occasion.

I expect UEFA to initiate an immediate, full and thorough investigation to verify that the chants were made and, having done so, to impose the severest sanction possible upon Celtic FC and their shameful fans.

I look forward to an early response

UEFA response
    Dear Sir,

You have contacted the UEFA disciplinary services to complain about a song called “Huns away from Europe” that appears to have been chanted by Celtic supporters during the UEFA Champions League fixture between Celtic FC and Aalborg on 17 September. With all respect to your personal feelings and impression, the terms you object to do not appear to be connected with racial abuse or discrimination. Factually, the term “hun” has a historical background, notably in Europe. We understand that the chant "huns out of Europe" might have been referring to the fact that their arch rivals, Rangers, did not qualify for the UEFA Champions League! Celtic fans seem to refer to Rangers as the hun (the enemy).

Should you still consider the text to have a sectarian background, we recommend that you address the matter to the competent authorities in Scotland.

Yours faithfully

UEFA Disciplinary Services

now i have already informed you that in my mind it isnt sectarian so how i can use it towards you as a sectarian insult i dont know.. so you state you are not a rangers fan. well i am a Celtic fan so i think perhaps i know more about the so called "old firm" & its terminology than you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If you're spanish, every pissed up twat wearing a ManU/Liverpool/Chelsea/Man city shirt is English.

Why wouldn't they be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Didn't experience any overt racism in Australia but they are fond of their 'Irish jokes' over there. In fairness we probably made up most of them ourselves. One guy I spoke to in Australia told me that when his teacher in school was asking everyone in the class what their family's ancestry was, he told them Irish and the whole class burst out laughing.

For a young nation of immigrants the Aussies were quite a racist bunch I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

If you're spanish, every pissed up twat wearing a ManU/Liverpool/Chelsea/Man city shirt is English.

Why wouldn't they be?

I would be very rare to see a Irish person wearing any English club jersey in Spain your just asking for trouble

are you a dentist? i cant figure out what the last part of your post means,he was competent and left in pain???

yes. have refused treatment to people who came in drunk/high/too young etc.
    he didn't get treatment for the pain he was in so he left like that too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Nothing out-right disrespectful, but I get a lot of American jokes tossed at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Following correspondence in September 2008, UEFA confirmed that Hun is not a sectarian term to a dishevelled Rangers fan!
    Source please, and not celtic wiki.

I believe it's a made up letter and I might just ban you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7206891.stm
    These are instructions for the PSNI from their Chief the same year:
    Catholics should not be called fenians, taigs, chucks or spongers, while Protestants should not be referred to as huns, black, prods or jaffas, the booklet says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Getting lectured on sectarianism by someone from ballymena is akin to getting lectured on racism by an afrikkaner from 80s south africa .

I could argue all day on what it means- the word hun- but i know that for me it describes the behaviour of rangers fans & not there religion, hence why i stated i use it to describe people of my own religion who support rangers.. now i could go in circles about this all day but i think ill leave it at that.

how did this descend into a football supporters thread?

anyway, some people over in britland when they hear me talking say things like, "oh you're irish, i love marian keyes" or "i love 'PS i love you'"
    i'd prefer to be associated with other atrocities.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Getting lectured on sectarianism by someone from ballymena is akin to getting lectured on racism by an afrikkaner from 80s south africa .

I could argue all day on what it means- the word hun- but i know that for me it describes the behaviour of rangers fans & not there religion, hence why i stated i use it to describe people of my own religion who support rangers.. now i could go in circles about this all day but i think ill leave it at that.

If you apologize for calling me a word with obvious, well known sectarian connotations in both football and Northern Irish/Scottish society, I feel I will be able to move on from this incident. Should you not I shall resend my complaint about your sectarian abuse.

It appears you really are one intolerant person. Not content with insulting someone due to their religion (I'm an athiest, but hey) you have proceeded to be prejudiced based on the town I happen to originally be from. I take it you mean all natives of Ballymena are sectarians, including the significant catholic minority?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Got shocking abuse years ago from a drunk Ian Paisley wannabe in an english pub in spain (was right beside the hotel and had a pool table) for speaking Irish with my cousin... I was 13 and practicing with my fluent cousin while playing pool (same age) so I would be able to say a few things when I went to the gaeltacht later on in the summer.

Then this bigot overhears us and comes over, drunk at 3pm in the day;

Fenian scumbags, ra heads, speaking sh!te, "what are ye doing drinking coke, did ye run out of popes piss, or is that just for blessing yourself ye wee papist pricks?" that kind of thing. I didn't even know what a papist was! Went back in tears to my family in the hotel, uncle had to be physically restrained from going and beating the sh!te out of the guy "thats why your grandad left the north and I worked for civil rights, pricks like that in power!"

Next day we all went back to the pub, owner was very apologetic and said we would never see that "ulsterman" in his pub again... Got tons of free pool too and glorious pub crisps(pub crisps are nicer than the ones you get in the shops!), owner was pretty horrified tbh, he was a nice man, an aul fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Terrontress

If you apologize for calling me a word with obvious, well known sectarian connotations in both football and Northern Irish/Scottish society, I feel I will be able to move on from this incident. Should you not I shall resend my complaint about your sectarian abuse.

It appears you really are one intolerant person. Not content with insulting someone due to their religion (I'm an athiest, but hey) you have proceeded to be prejudiced based on the town I happen to originally be from. I take it you mean all natives of Ballymena are sectarians, including the significant catholic minority?

Don't want to derail this further but what is laughable is that I was once taught by a native of Ballymena. None other than Father David Delargy from 'The Priests'! How Catholic can you get?

It isn't all Paisleyites up there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Got called a hun and an orange bastard plenty of times.

And thats just on Boards.ie :eek:

I deal with a lot of customers from England,Scotland,Wales and northern Ireland and have gotten the usual abuse from time to time but generally get good feedback about Ireland from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Calling someone a hun is the same as calling someone a mackem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

One Paddy's Day in London a taxi driver asked me to pay upfront "because, y'know, you're Irish". I bit my tongue and paid him before we set off. When we arrived at the destination I asked him for his taxi ID (I couldn't see it on display anywhere) but he wouldn't tell me! Anyway, we to'ed and fro'ed for a while - him telling me to get out and me telling him to give me his ID - until we agreed that he should call the police :eek: Anyway, just as they arrive the cheeky f$cker takes his licence out of wherever he was hiding it and replaces it on the dashboard. Lucky for me, I'm a sly mofo who'd taken a photo on my phone of the dashboard minus the license. The police gave him a bolloc$ing! (not because of the comment but because, well, I guess hiding your ID is pretty serious).

Not really abuse but one time in the States (naturally), I gave my AIB credit card to a waitress. She started being really weird and then came out with the amazing question, "AIB? Aren't they those Irish terrorists?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I worked for a couple of US multinational in my long and varied career and one job in particular meant frequent trips to a particular site where the work-force at all levels in the organisation was primarily black, or Ahfrihcun-Ahmerihcun if you prefer.

I got the usual stuff thrown my way "You're English / British", "No. I'm Irish" "Aw gee, Guinness, potatoes, boiled beef and cabbage, drunk, sing us Danny Boy, etc etc.", all the usual witticisms.

After 5 or 6 trips it was really getting my goat. At lunch close to the end of my contract, I was asked why I wasn't joining in the banter and responding with "witticisms" of my own. I told them that where I came from and the way I'd been brought up meant that as a visitor it was thought to be very rude to comment on your hosts' religion, politics, colour, nationality or any other issue that might have made them feel uncomfortable, and that only impolite, uncouth, ill-bred ignoramuses behaved that way and I certainly wasn't like that.

I left the canteen to a stony silence.

Later that night at a poorly attended leaving do held for me in the hotel I was staying at, a black colleague asked if being mistaken for an Englishman really annoyed me, given our history, etc.

"No" I replied "in fact over here it's a positive boon".

"How so Paddy?"

"Well at KKK rifle-ranges, it's obvious I'm not the target."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Ghandee wrote: »
    I got called 'white monkey' once in Cape Town by a big black woman, wearing a thing like a fruit basket on her head :eek:
    Lol, I was called a "Snow Bunny" in this really Hispanic neighbourhood in Manhattan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I was called White-Trash by an Aborigine, while he was looking for used cigarette butts in the bin outside, but I think that's fairly standard. I imagine theres been plenty of "greetings" like that today!! :p

And you had a drink with him? Did it not bother you that he was nothing more than a vicious little racist?

I've no idea why the Irish seem to attract the racists when they go abroad. This is not the first thread I've seen where multiple posts follow the classic template of "I was in (insert eastern european or middle eastern nation here), I came across a (insert profession here) and he thought I was British, shouted xenophobic abuse....I told him I was an Irishman and not British... He apologized and we had a good time together..."

Ever wonder why you brits have a bad name in those parts?

Yeah.

Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

On a working holiday in Australia a few years back and a mate and myself worked in Bunnings for a while (kinda like B&Q/Woodies). Supervisior couldnt be bothered learning names of all the backpackers working so he just called us "Irish 1" & "Irish 2" ... even when calling us out over the intercom in the shop.

Worked in another place on a production line with several lads from SE Asia. The moment they heard I was Irish they kept calling me IRA. Every so often they would call down the supervisor saying I was threatening to plant bomb everywhere! I was hauled up over it at lunch time of my 1st day to explain why I was making terrorist threats! I wasnt btw, and the boss wasnt joking!!!

I decided not to go back after lunch. Rang the agency to explain and got a full days pay anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭behan29

Worked as a nurse in london, I had a patient refuse to let me look after them as I was Irish, I had one colleague state that st Patrick's day was worse than a new years eve for piss heads and he constantly ripped for me for being Irish. My favourite was a Irish patient call me "a paddy Cnut". I went to a wedding in the u.k and had one person ask me did we have the NBC in Ireland, I told her we still don't have the Internet, wife was a happy bunny but, oh well!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I have been racially abused several times whilst abroad and it has happened to various degrees.

In Australia in 2010 I overheard some pretty bad anti foreigner racism in a rural mining town in Queensland whilst taking a dump in the jacks, however it was aimed at an Irish lad who in the same place having his dinner as he was working there, we got talking to him there but I never mentioned it to him. They were redneck hick types and I left Australia with a great image of probably the nicest nation of people you could meet.

In Germany I got some icy receptions until they realised I was Irish and not English then they were totally sound.

Throughout Eastern Europe racism I have found aimed for me was not as I was not English, getting confused with English people can be troublesome.

In America I never encounter any real racism just sheer stupidity like How is the war going in Ireland? Isn't Ireland in England? General references to being drunkyards but nothing other than the stupid stereotypes they are fed on garbage US Television.

In the North I have experienced some nasty stuff too and one day I was sitting down in the Buttercrane reading the Irish Indo when some old lad sat down next to me and said "ah yer really fK'd, down the free state now?" I replied nah, we're alright we drove your type long ago and thankfully your type are dying up here now also". He sat down seeking confrontation so I left have it.

I have been racially abused by Nigerians here and by scummers in Dublin when I returned a browny orange color for a few weeks away and whilst waiting to get the LUAS I said on the phone of which they were eavesdropping, jeez I hate this country it is so fecking cold, to which some smart alec replied, "ah fk off home, if you don't like it then", I retorted yeah, I'm getting the train back to Kerry, I suppose thats a foreign country too is it ya little toerag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 lemme

Was called 'the green hand grenade' when i worked in nova scotia. always thought it was funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

And you had a drink with him? Did it not bother you that he was nothing more than a vicious little racist?

I've no idea why the Irish seem to attract the racists when they go abroad. This is not the first thread I've seen where multiple posts follow the classic template of "I was in (insert eastern european or middle eastern nation here), I came across a (insert profession here) and he thought I was British, shouted xenophobic abuse....I told him I was an Irishman and not British... He apologized and we had a good time together..."

Are you all making it up? I've never been racially abused for being British while abroad. Maybe I go to more civilized destinations, or maybe I attract a better sort of person. There is certainly something going on as I am pretty well travelled.

What gets me the most is that you are all content to associate with these intolerant, poorly educated folk.

Hello Bwatson

I was really enjoying this lighthearted AFTER HOURS thread until I came to your post.:( Forced me to re-evaluate. And d'you know what it recalled to my mind:
    events like the time in the mid-1970s when a friend and I hitching in a deserted rural area in France got a lift in a tractor. I chatted to the toothless elderly farmer in my schoolgirl French. We finally communicated deeply over his regard for DeValera who he regarded to be a great nationalist like De Gaulle and especially regarded a anti-British (non-an Eastern European story)

also your post brought up some stronger emotions - a legacy from my Father's deep hurt and humiliation when he was a newly qualified accountant in the UK in the 1940s and with his young wife was turned away from many rentals with the phrase "no blacks or Irish". He eventually lodged with a wonderful highly educated innovative engineer and his wife who truly appreciated the educated and sensitive young couple they had taken in.

I didn't want to go there - some memories are painful - I never normally bring this up but your post displayed a lack of understanding as to why Irish people might not want to be mistaken for British people. I don't think this thread or the pain is as trivial as you paint it nor do I think the desire to be differentiated from the British is without basis. - Back to the fray and humour.

Sorry for the long and emotional post.

Advertisement