Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oi Paddy!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

It's not racist but my friend and neighbour is black and he told us a joke the other night darn the boozer

What's white and 8 inches?

Nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    It's not racist but my friend and neighbour is black and he told us a joke the other night darn the boozer

What's white and 8 inches?

Nothing!
    nor funny:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

nor funny:pac:

But black people are funny!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I was lucky enough to be at Wembley on a day that the English lost a soccer match. They had also lost an away rugby match. I needed to use the bathroom. I was detected..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Was talking to this middle-aged, generally polite woman in the UK who - from nowhere - came out with, "All Irish people smell of chips". It was weird because she was so matter-of-fact about it and it didn't seem like she was trying to be provocative. I wasn't really sure how to react...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 160 ✭✭My_left_leg

Yes.
    I had started working for a financial institution in Brighton, I decided to ask my manager "if they got many Irish down here?"
    "Nah!" he replied. "Only when you come down to bomb us".
    I immediately burst into song with "A Nation Once again".
    We all laughed uproariously.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Hello Bwatson

I was really enjoying this lighthearted AFTER HOURS thread until I came to your post.:( Forced me to re-evaluate. And d'you know what it recalled to my mind:
    events like the time in the mid-1970s when a friend and I hitching in a deserted rural area in France got a lift in a tractor. I chatted to the toothless elderly farmer in my schoolgirl French. We finally communicated deeply over his regard for DeValera who he regarded to be a great nationalist like De Gaulle and especially regarded a anti-British (non-an Eastern European story)

also your post brought up some stronger emotions - a legacy from my Father's deep hurt and humiliation when he was a newly qualified accountant in the UK in the 1940s and with his young wife was turned away from many rentals with the phrase "no blacks or Irish". He eventually lodged with a wonderful highly educated innovative engineer and his wife who truly appreciated the educated and sensitive young couple they had taken in.

I didn't want to go there - some memories are painful - I never normally bring this up but your post displayed a lack of understanding as to why Irish people might not want to be mistaken for British people. I don't think this thread or the pain is as trivial as you paint it nor do I think the desire to be differentiated from the British is without basis. - Back to the fray and humour.

Sorry for the long and emotional post.

You have also displayed an incredible lack of understanding. I completely understand that you do not wish to be identified as British in foreign lands. I would hate to be thought of as Irish when abroad as I am very proud to be British. Your stance is one I accept, understand and closely identify with.

The issue I raised was not the one you have dragged up. I questioned why so many appear happy to associate with abhorrent people who display staggering levels of intolerance and xenophobia. I can only assume that anybody who does so is either accepting of such traits or lacks the courage to stand up to people who display them.

As it is, I care not for your unintelligible, nostalgic ramblings about encounters with old French boggers. Did he accept during his anti-British tirade that his nation and is national hero (especially his national hero) owed so much to Britain?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

bwatson wrote: »
    I would hate to be thought of as Irish when abroad as I am very proud to be British.
    Heh. Even British people see you as Irish, Mr. Antrim.
    As it is, I care not for your unintelligible, nostalgic ramblings about encounters with old French boggers. Did he accept during his anti-British tirade that his nation and is national hero (especially his national hero) owed so much to Britain?
    Britain is a French colony. You didn't think it was called Great Britain because it was so awesome? Grand Bretagne, as in Bretagne, the northern French province. Most of what Britain is it owes to France. Seriously, look up "English words of French origin".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Britain is a French colony. You didn't think it was called Great Britain because it was so awesome? Grand Bretagne, as in Bretagne, the northern French province. Most of what Britain is it owes to France. Seriously, look up "English words of French origin".

Says the Irish poster writing in English....

Says the Irish poster writing in English....
    Thats Franco-German to you, buddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

davet82 wrote: »
    Have you ever been racially abused when abroad?

Few years ago I got a taxi in Manchester and when I got out of the taxi, the driver informed me he wouldn't have picked me up if he knew I was Irish! :(

any experinces?
    "And I was going to pay you until i realised you're English" :D

Heh. Even British people see you as Irish, Mr. Antrim.

Only to those who are ferociously politically and geographically unaware. I tend not to associate with them.

All mainland Britons I know (and one from Anglesey), which is a hell of a lot of them seeing as I am at university in London, are aware and accepting of how I identify myself.

Only to those who are ferociously politically and geographically unaware. I tend not to associate with them.
    Have you ever seen any British soap operas? People with your accent are unequivocally viewed as Irish.

When you get right down to it the whole situation is rather special, in fact. We've got one group dedicated to the memory of King Billy who couldn't have given a tinkers damn about Northern Ireland, having dedicated his life to resisting the French domination of Europe, while this same group speaks what could pass for garbled French themselves, while the lads in England see this group as being Irish all while this group are swearing fealty to them. And then we have people like bwatson in full ignorance of history asking the French whether they remember some debt they owe.

All part of life's wondrous tapestry I guess.

Have you ever seen any British soap operas? People with your accent are unequivocally viewed as Irish.

When you get right down to it the whole situation is rather special, in fact. We've got one group dedicated to the memory of King Billy who couldn't have given a tinkers damn about Northern Ireland, having dedicated his life to resisting the French domination of Europe, while this same group speaks what could pass for garbled French themselves, while the lads in England see this group as being Irish all while this group are swearing fealty to them. And then we have people like bwatson in full ignorance of history asking the French whether they remember some debt they owe.

All part of life's wondrous tapestry I guess.

I think it is fairly obvious what I am referring to when I allude to the French owing Britain extreme gratitude. Especially so when you consider that I was responding to a largely incoherant rambling about anti-British Frenchmen (shock horror), de Valera and Charles De Gaulle.

Were it not for the iron will of the British in the time that De Gaulle is most noted for (World War 2/ The Emergency for you Doc) France would currently either be under the control of the Nazi Regime or the Soviet Union. I'm sure the thought of either would make any Frenchman in the 21st
    century shudder. The dentally challenged French farmer was a moron. There, I said it. ;)

Were it not for the iron will of the British in the time that De Gaulle is most noted for (World War 2/ The Emergency for you Doc) France would currently either be under the control of the Nazi Regime or the Soviet Empire.
    Yes, that was some iron willed getting bombed they did. I'm really not going to get pulled into a discussion about WW2 here, although I've a few choice facts on that matter as well. All I'll say is that I like people from the UK and from Northern Ireland, and I'd probably like you bwatson, all differences aside, but there are quite a few up there who could do with levering their heads out of their holes.

And I think thats something all right minded people can agree on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Best line I ever got:
    >You're from Ireland? The good Ireland or the bad one?
    >>What??
    >The catholic one or the protestant one?
    >>Catholic from the Northern part?

He looks even more confused and asks if I'm a hun or a fenian. **** off!!

This was in Glasgow ffs!

Yes, that was some iron willed getting bombed they did. I'm really not going to get pulled into a discussion about WW2 here, although I've a few choice facts on that matter as well. All I'll say is that I like people from the UK and from Northern Ireland, and I'd probably like you bwatson, all differences aside, but there are quite a few up there who could do with levering their heads out of their holes.

And I think thats something all right minded people can agree on.

I'd hope so. I'm generally quite an amiable person. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Its a form of sectarian abuse used by ra shellick fans.

They maintain it is used to describe Rangers fans.

However, they sing a song informing fans to "go home, you huns" at many clubs in the SPL which aren't Rangers but are associated with having mainly protestant, unionist fanbases. Hearts is an obvious example.

The word hun is one they associate with a more germanic, protestant, culture of the non celtic races.

I thought it was because Ibrox was the only stadium the Nazi German football team played in, in Britain, and they flew the swastika.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I got into a taxi at Dublin airport and the Nigerian was rude and bordering on abusive to me.

I tried chatting to him, bit he wasn't interested until he realised I wasn't Irish. Then he was a friendly as can be.

Happens a lot.

Apparantly.

He should go home or to England.

I have been to alot of places abroad and never got insulted for being Irish anywhere.... not even in scotland :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

All I'll say is that I like people from the UK and from Northern Ireland,

I think its Scotland thats 'thinking' about leaving the UK, Northern Ireland is still within . . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... All mainland Britons I know ...
    Bedad now do you tell me that? And there was I, having studied the history and geography of these locales, thinking that Britain, Great or otherwise as you wish, was a collection of islands and that the mainland was located somewhere like well, France for example or even the Iberian peninsula. It just goes to show, xenophobia, small-mindedness and bigotry have their pluses too. As for An Bhreatain Bhig or small Brittany in the Franco-German dialect for speakers who failed to develop a language and culture of their own, we acknowledge their Celticness and original Englishness before being driven out by the Angles and Saxons.

Sin a bhfuil de cursai spoirt anocht a dhuine uaisle, slan go foill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

woodoo wrote: »
    He should go home or to England.

I have been to alot of places abroad and never got insulted for being Irish anywhere.... not even in scotland :D

it didn't actually happen, I just thought I'd add my own makey uppey story as everyone else was doing it.

I'm most surprised at all the supposed anti Irish cabbies in London. I've never met one who doesn't have at least one Irish grandparent and never misses an opportunity to tell you how much he bleedin loves the Irish and loves visiting his cousins in Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Most people I've met on holiday have been very polite or not stupid enough to be racist but a few times people were delighted to know that I was Irish rather than English and I was told by some of these people that they love the Irish, however odd that that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Few years ago i was driving through the east end of London and was in dire need of a shyte...and had to pull in and run into the nearest pub

After i did the deed i was walking out and said "howya"to the heavies giving me bulls eyes sitting at the bar

One bald guy says to me "Oi you Oirish??"

I said "I am and i left a massive bomb back in there!!" and ran....

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Have to say I have had a few stupid things said to me when I have been living or travelling abroad

Whilst at uni in England, I worked in a chain of Irish bars and remember once a family came in for some food, nice enough people but it just happened that there were two salt sailors on the table instead of the usual salt and pepper they thought they were being funny when they said to me "how typically Irish" I just laughed.

Another time playing in a 5-a-side soccer tournament, everyone on our team was Irish and we gave away a free-kick and I was holding onto the ball and an opposition player shouted at me "we are not playing f**king Paddy football"

My Muslim house-mate always used to say to me when I was trying to pull a bird "drop some Irish bombs between her legs", of course if I said the slighest hint of something he took as offensive, he got all offended.

I know there were countless more from when I was in England but I have forgotten more than I can remember. There did seem to be this thing of it was ok to say whatever about an Irish person but jeez, if the same kinda things were thrown at a black or asian person, well end ot the world.

I have also travelled extensively and experienced the anti-English vibe until you tell them you are Irish.

TBH, the same idiots are in every country including our own but I have to say I found the Aussies to be particularly bad, especially towards asians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

if the same kinda things were thrown at a black or asian person, well end ot the world.

Ah, it's not really the same though, is it? We're not a vulnerable ethnic minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Ah, it's really the same though, is it? We're not a vulnerable ethnic minority.

There are 1.2 billion people in India alone. I'd hardly say that asians could be classed as a vulnerable ethnic minority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Ah, it's really the same though, is it? We're not a vulnerable ethnic minority.

He was an Irish man in England.

Advertisement