Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I fed some of my own dairy culls last spring after selling some to dealers and in the marts.
    Sold them to the factory in may june after 10 weeks feeding .
    Never again ,complete waste of time.
    Lesson learned ,those cow dealers are very nice people.

In a normal year, it might be a different story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

I fed some of my own dairy culls last spring after selling some to dealers and in the marts.
    Sold them to the factory in may june after 10 weeks feeding .
    Never again ,complete waste of time.
    Lesson learned ,those cow dealers are very nice people.

10 weeks feeding? How much per head/day?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,233 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

simx wrote: »
    10 weeks feeding? How much per head/day?
    what do you do with them? How long do you feed them for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

In my experience the only thing that'll fatten dairy cows is time. Never bothered with suckler lassies.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭poor farmer

whelan2 wrote: »

Dried them off in oct, left them out on good grass.Brought them in febuary.
    I fed them a hi maize finisher ration along with good silage.I built them up to 8-10 kg /head/day. The ate about 600 kg ration each.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »

Usually let them get as near as possible off grass, some get no meal, then later in summer when best thrive is gone I throw maybe 1.5/2kg meal/hd but wouldn't generally be feeding any meal for that long

Dried them off in oct, left them out on good grass.Brought them in febuary.
    I fed them a hi maize finisher ration along with good silage.I built them up to 8-10 kg /head/day. The ate about 600 kg ration each.

Were they Holstein types poor farmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Were the grass cattle young ( sub 2 year old) or cattle that were 3 years or older.

seemed to be mostly young stock ,

just my thoughts on finishing cull cows (mostly BR Fr )

time and a cheap 3 or 4 mix, no minerals necessary ..

trying to pump large amount of meal in a short space of time you are only working for the feed merchant

just my opinion, no doubt others will differ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Couple of r grade aa/sm cross heifers 28 month old
    Quoted at 4.00 base + 12 c QA
    Kepak for going away Monday or Tuesday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

did he say what price the steers were making this week?

• Advertisement

No was a neigbour rang the agent on my behalf and got the quote
    If I meet him tomorrow I'll ask
    Heard from another man this evening
    4 euro base for 23 month Hereford bulls + bonus + QA maybe another 30 cent
    Hard to believe bulls at 4.00 + ,, so can't be sure but he seemed definate

Nettleman wrote: »
    apparently €4 base for QA heifers over and under age in west this week

Your were right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

Jb1989 wrote: »

things are starting to look up at long last,hopefully things stay improving for the next while

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Cannot see HE bulls being thasr price as well no QA for bulls and never heard of bulls getting HE bonus. May be a quote for bullocks. AIBP seems to need a lot of Hereford cattle this time of year for last few years. Roll on for when kill drops as if processors are under pressure now what will it be like when kill is sub 30K.

Cannot see HE bulls being thasr price as well no QA for bulls and never heard of bulls getting HE bonus. May be a quote for bullocks. AIBP seems to need a lot of Hereford cattle this time of year for last few years. Roll on for when kill drops as if processors are under pressure now what will it be like when kill is sub 30K.

My quote for heifers was accurate
    But that bull quote didn't seem right to me either
    Must ring him tomorrow and iron out them details out of curiosity

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

i am looking for some elephants to fatten

if anybody knows where I can get them please let me know :cool:
    :D

i am looking for some elephants to fatten

if anybody knows where I can get them please let me know :cool:
    :D

Africa 🙋

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭locha

For Steers underage QA

I'm being quoted base: ABP & Liffey 3.90
    Donegal are giving 4.10 all in for r2,3,4, there is a carcass limit there though.

Anyone hear of 4 going for base?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Is there anyone on here honestly making a profit, or at least more money than the miller out of 16mth bull beef? If there is I want to know how.

I'm calving to grass in March, which means if I did start doing it cattle would be in from November through to June, not viable as far as I can see. Autumn calving might work, but meal has to go into the cow, and creep area needed. Mods if you want to put this into a thread on it's own, go ahead.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Is there anyone on here honestly making a profit, or at least more money than the miller out of 16mth bull beef? If there is I want to know how.
    Yeah the factories are making a good profit outa them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

locha wrote: »
    For Steers underage QA

I'm being quoted base: ABP & Liffey 3.90
    Donegal are giving 4.10 all in for r2,3,4, there is a carcass limit there though.

Anyone hear of 4 going for base?
    Donegal always has to be 10 cent ahead to cover transport costs to poor location

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭Dunedin

locha wrote: »
    For Steers underage QA

, there is a carcass limit there

I thought the weight restrictions were lifted following the protests????

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭locha

The prices I was quoted was for up to 410kg.

blue5000 wrote: »

I'm calving to grass in March, which means if I did start doing it cattle would be in from November through to June, not viable as far as I can see. Autumn calving might work, but meal has to go into the cow, and creep area needed. Mods if you want to put this into a thread on it's own, go ahead.

First off March is too late calving them. They really need to be January and February born to be slaughtered at premium price in May/June. You need to house as late as possible. It should be possible to keep these sort of bulls out to Christmas or beyond. Housing earlier means that they gone stale by April. Some lads are even letting them back on in February for a months before rehousing and finishing in June.

In reality with prices paid for weanlings in the autumn it is unlikly that it pays any producer to hold onto March/April calves. Bulls top be finished need to be over 400kgs in November. If they are lighter it is no point finishing at sub 16 months. You may well be better off with march calves finishing at 18 months after having at grass for 100-150 day in spring early summer and then house and finish in 60-80 days or carry to finish at 22 months at Christmas.
    Nettleman wrote: »
    Donegal always has to be 10 cent ahead to cover transport costs to poor location

You would want much more than 10c to cover extra travel and the weight loss associated with same. It might be viable if cattle were loaded early morning and carried to donegal for slaughter directy off truck at 8 in the morning. On a 330kg carcase extra transport at 15/head is 4.5c/kg and add in 2% weight loss at 8c/kg then you are at 12.5c/kg.

If supplies are tight next year maybe they will be more flexible on bull age and if weight restrictions are lifted then it could be worth feeding bulls on to 18-20 months

Cavanjack wrote: »
    If supplies are tight next year maybe they will be more flexible on bull age and if weight restrictions are lifted then it could be worth feeding bulls on to 18-20 months

In the sentance replace the word if with when and delete maybe. However everything is predicated on buying in at right price. Finishers should know there finishing costs and shpuld subtract there margin to find the price they are willing to pay for cattle

David on dunbia just quoted r grade heifers under 30 months quality assured on the grid at 3.95 + 10c AA bonus.
    AA bonus for killing in Carlow plant only

David on dunbia just quoted r grade heifers under 30 months quality assured on the grid at 3.95 + 10c AA bonus.
    AA bonus for killing in Carlow plant only
    I wouldn't give my heifers away below 4 now as that base is freely available now. It won't take much haggling to get across the line, and I would advise haggling. They will never put the price up if lads keep letting them have cattle at 395.

The kill is high at present compared to cattle in country. Lads are panicing killing U30 month cattle. Steer kill yo by 6-8K/week so no need to pass anything off. However cow and bull kill below normal levels so both of these prices are steady. As the cattle supply will chage over next few weeks I think(I may be wrong) that processors are trying to keep cow kill up so that U30 month cattle in chills will last longer. Demand for cows for catering trade( hospitals schools etc) is kind of steady all year around, At present all schools are back all over Europe and hospitals etc would be in full swing.
    Puds, 2 months have passed now, would still read this supply forecast the same...with kill still at 36k (very surprising) end of nov, they must be killing a lot of 2013 cattle, some people are telling me that theres a lot of light cattle going in to keep numbers high & price low-and the supply situation will be even better next year??:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Is this 16 Month being dictated by the large UK retailers? Maybe, and I say maybe, this is ok in the UK with large scale feedlots and cheap inputs, but In Ireland, I can't see how it is viable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement