Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

topgeas wrote: »
    4.05 base from slaney + hereford bonus + qa. i"ve 15 herefords to go. trying to get a another 5 cent. have to go soon getting over fat.

is that base price for all steers?i have some herefords and friesans to go myself shortly but they are overage and heavy cattle,what is the hereford bonus worth?thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭epfff

primary 2 wrote: »
    is that base price for all steers?i have some herefords and friesans to go myself shortly but they are overage and heavy cattle,what is the hereford bonus worth?thanks

Its worth nothing on overage
    Id say thats heifers
    395 is best I can do for under age and 390 for over bullocks today all light stock

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭topgeas

18months heifers. 12 cent hereford bonus

epfff wrote: »
    Id say thats heifers
    395 is best I can do for under age and 390 for over bullocks today all light stock

any sign of a price rise on the cards? i thought with the high amount of cattle going through the system at the back end of the year supplies might get a bit tighter but what i am hearing there is still plenty of cattle around

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

epfff wrote: »
    Id say thats heifers

As far as I know they are now paying the HE bonus to 36 months you will not get the QA. I think the same with AA depending in which scheme you go for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭locha

4.05 now available for R grade Steers. Had it from 2 agents

locha wrote: »

are the numbers starting to tighting a bit? what were you been offered last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

locha wrote: »

Where was that being offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

have had calls looking for cattle from all agents I deal with

things must be tightening up

the end of January I heard will be tight seemingly

some high prices over 4 euro being mentioned

I think they would want to up the prices fairly quick to convince lads to feed because farmers still remember how bad last spring was for killing cattle

feed rep said he's selling shag all feed so hopefully the ball will be in the finishers hands this spring for a change

have had calls looking for cattle from all agents I deal with

things must be tightening up

the end of January I heard will be tight seemingly

some high prices over 4 euro being mentioned

I think they would want to up the prices fairly quick to convince lads to feed because farmers still remember how bad last spring was for killing cattle

feed rep said he's selling shag all feed so hopefully the ball will be in the finishers hands this spring for a change

i know a few lads that had alot of cattle to sell last year mainly bulls and these lads dont have any in fatting this year so i think things will get tight,what do you reckon the base price will be the end of january start of febuary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

i know a few lads that had alot of cattle to sell last year mainly bulls and these lads dont have any in fatting this year so i think things will get tight,what do you reckon the base price will be the end of january start of febuary?

I gave up predicting prices

I just try and buy and keep cattle as cheap as possible and if theres a margin ill take it

well sure id say 4.10 will be easy got, but its badly wanted

I gave up predicting prices

I just try and buy and keep cattle as cheap as possible and if theres a margin ill take it

well sure id say 4.10 will be easy got, but its badly wanted

badly needed is right, well i predicted on this thread a few months ago that i thought the base would be 4 05 the first week of january and rise to 4 20 to 4 25 by the end of january hopfully i will be right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

4.05 base for underage heifers in dunbia
    3.95 base for underage heifers in rathkeale
    Any prices for cows , have a few o and p cows in good nick as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

cute geoge wrote: »

got 3.35 for o&p cows before xmas, 3.30 is freely available i know anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Anyone trying a quote in Dunbia be advised they always quote the best and then screw you I the detail. They will charge you for clipping clean cattle and then grade them like Mongolian donkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Willfarman wrote: »
    Anyone trying a quote in Dunbia be advised they always quote the best and then screw you I the detail. They will charge you for clipping clean cattle and then grade them like Mongolian donkeys.

Sure with the mechanical grader you can't complain will farmer. It means all cattle are graded fairly and no room for manipulation :)

(my new years resolution was to see the good in people)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Speaking of mechanical graders in factories and out of pure interest - does anyone know who is the certified body that authenticates the calibration??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I be going to Rathkeale even if I had to travel 100 miles farther

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

much of a trade for cull cows at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

whelan2 wrote: »
    much of a trade for cull cows at the minute?

In the mart? Good enough go on them last couple weeks December in Kk anyway

• Advertisement

4.00 over and under age bullocks slaney meats tomorrow.

Willfarman wrote: »
    4.00 over and under age bullocks slaney meats tomorrow.

was talking to an agent from slaney this day week the best he could do was 3 95 underage and 3 90 overage,maybe numbers are starting to get tight

Definitely tightening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Lads (me) might be slow to move cattle for a week or two to see how things fair out. With this extra €3 a head we can really screw them now :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Base price wrote: »
    Speaking of mechanical graders in factories and out of pure interest - does anyone know who is the certified body that authenticates the calibration??

The some'body' that hangs around the scales/grader all day with the hard hat on. This body usually gets to tweak it during the morning tea break. Especially noticeable where a few E grade bulls have gone through earlier. In fairness it is a very good question though, I think this one should be forwarded to Dail question time for Enda or (si**le)Simon to answer.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

was talking to an agent from slaney this day week the best he could do was 3 95 underage and 3 90 overage,maybe numbers are starting to get tight

how much is that in US Dollars?, yeeeehaaaa!!!
    from borris to boston & nenagh to new york, there's gold in them there steaks!

how much is that in US Dollars?, yeeeehaaaa!!!
    from borris to boston & nenagh to new york, there's gold in them there steaks!

I think that's the fourth time this good news story has been spun by super shiny Simon.

Too little too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Crossakiel

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

blue5000 wrote: »
    The some'body' that hangs around the scales/grader all day with the hard hat on. This body usually gets to tweak it during the morning tea break. Especially noticeable where a few E grade bulls have gone through earlier. In fairness it is a very good question though, I think this one should be forwarded to Dail question time for Enda or (si**le)Simon to answer.
    I asked a factory manager a few years ago after we disputed grades. Judging from his reply he misinterpreted the question. He told me that the machine is calibrated every morning by their own staff. When asked what certified body authenticates this calibration and how often - I got a blank stare and he tried to change the topic :eek:
    When we returned to his office to discuss the disputed grades he was more than accommodating by upping the price per kg on most of the cattle :D
    I would have assumed that these mechanical graders have to be checked on at least an annual basis to verify their accuracy. Also I assume that there is a working life (hours) for the bulbs that are used.
    Having said that I used the word assume - making a ASS of U and ME :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Sent bulls to the factory today to grannagh in waterford got €3.90 for a few R grade freisans

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement