Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Hard to see a price rise kill way too high. We are also entering white meat season beef will not be in demand for being killed until Christmas week. Always found next 16-20 days bad time to be selling.

I found the last 365 days bad time aswell!!
    It's unreal the numbers going through the factories. No sign of it slowing down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I have a few cattle heavy enough to kill out. The will be under age until February. Is it worth hanging onto them until after Christmas? Eating Meal & Silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭Robson99

restive wrote: »
    I have a few cattle heavy enough to kill out. The will be under age until February. Is it worth hanging onto them until after Christmas? Eating Meal & Silage.

I would feed on till mid January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

royaler83 wrote: »
    Those ads are some load of PR horsesh@*te :mad:

ignore them at your peril, a neighbour took 3.70 flat for anguses last week...farmers still throwing cattle away.
    Had to be worth more than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Anyone know why the much vaunted app hasn't updated since the 16th November?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I said wrote: »
    Anyone know why the much vaunted app hasn't updated since the 16th November?

Because the whole beef forum was/is a sham to try and keep farmers quiet.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Because the whole beef forum was/is a sham to try and keep farmers quiet.

Farmers are price takers, nothing gonna change that.
    Supply and demand is the only thing that's going to influence prices.
    I've never heard such a variance in prices as at the moment, no wonder the new app can't keep up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

rangler1 wrote: »
    I've never heard such a variance in prices as at the moment, no wonder the new app can't keep up

The new app is supposed to give the average R price for cattle for each factory. It is not Rocket science. The Dept gets it returns from factory's every Monday morning along with weekly kill. it is pretty easy to using an excel to give Factory averages. However it is not in the Industry's interest for this to be published.

The new app is supposed to give the average R price for cattle for each factory. It is not Rocket science. The Dept gets it returns from factory's every Monday morning along with weekly kill. it is pretty easy to using an excel to give Factory averages. However it is not in the Industry's interest for this to be published.

Price there up to 23rd

http://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/cattle/pages/eucountries.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

There all there on the Department website already. A weekly excel with national averages and individual factory prices
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmingsectors/beef/beeffactorypricesweeklyreports/2014/meatmarketreport-averagepricesincludingvatforsteerscowsheifersyoungbullsandbulls/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

+1

just do it wrote: »
    There all there on the Department website already. A weekly excel with national averages and individual factory prices
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmingsectors/beef/beeffactorypricesweeklyreports/2014/meatmarketreport-averagepricesincludingvatforsteerscowsheifersyoungbullsandbulls/

Neither of these are the app prices. The advantage of the app was you could compare different factory base prices fairly fast for cattle. Bord bia gives national prices the dept averages to a certain extent are all over the place you have to open different sheets for different stock and factory's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Brass Tag

Neither of these are the app prices. The advantage of the app was you could compare different factory base prices fairly fast for cattle. Bord bia gives national prices the dept averages to a certain extent are all over the place you have to open different sheets for different stock and factory's.

The fact that the app is no longer being updated shows how much the words and promises of Coveney can be believed.

Meanwhile Teagasc beef outlook not good http://www.agriland.ie/news/13-beef-farmers-make-profit-teagasc/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Anyone kill cows this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

apparently €4 base for QA heifers over and under age in west this week

• Registered Users Posts: 29,235 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

simx wrote: »
    Anyone kill cows this week?
    no was going to ask the same :o

whelan2 wrote: »
    no was going to ask the same :o

Yeah 3.30 for o's dumbia

Yeah 3.30 for o's dumbia

would ya get 3.30 flat for o&ps do ya think? ya hear anything about rs?

would ya get 3.30 flat for o&ps do ya think? ya hear anything about rs?

I'd have no reason to know that :)
    Don't think id have got that for p's. Only had 7. Maybe you'd get it seeing you kill a lot of cows.

I'd have no reason to know that :)
    Don't think id have got that for p's. Only had 7. Maybe you'd get it seeing you kill a lot of cows.

haha, i can only afford to buy the odd O here and there, got 3.25 flat for o&ps last week but only had 7, 3 os and 4 ps, will have 12 or 14 to go in a couple of weeks will be hoping for 3.30 :p ... dont know about a lot of cows now, lad up the road from me must kill 250-300 culls/annum. hes getting 3.30 flat for the last month/6 weeks

• Advertisement

haha, i can only afford to buy the odd O here and there, got 3.25 flat for o&ps last week but only had 7, 3 os and 4 ps, will have 12 or 14 to go in a couple of weeks will be hoping for 3.30 :p ... dont know about a lot of cows now, lad up the road from me must kill 250-300 culls/annum. hes getting 3.30 flat for the last month/6 weeks
    He must have some craic with mastitis in July with that no.

He must have some craic with mastitis in July with that no.

Yeah Betamox would be a common sight on. Remidies list lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I always reckoned there was good money to be made in fattening cull cows - say he, having never ever done it, apart from my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I always reckoned there was good money to be made in fattening cull cows - say he, having never ever done it, apart from my own.

Shhh! ffs, now everyone will know. The lads at it are minted, next thing the dairy guys will be at it!:p:p

Shhh! ffs, now everyone will know. The lads at it are minted, next thing the dairy guys will be at it!:p:p

I welcome anyone to buy a bunch of them and see can they give up the day job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

dropped a load of heifers to the factory to day for a neighbour,

plenty of cattle in the lairage & a queue for unloading,

all i saw were clean (grass cattle) , thought some of them could have done with further feeding

orm0nd wrote: »
    dropped a load of heifers to the factory to day for a neighbour,

plenty of cattle in the lairage & a queue for unloading,

all i saw were clean (grass cattle) , thought some of them could have done with further feeding

Were the grass cattle young ( sub 2 year old) or cattle that were 3 years or older.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,235 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Might be a runner if the milk price plummets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Going to fatten the culls here and see how it goes, if anything will at least help cash flow going with them in early spring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭poor farmer

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Going to fatten the culls here and see how it goes, if anything will at least help cash flow going with them in early spring

I fed some of my own dairy culls last spring after selling some to dealers and in the marts.
    Sold them to the factory in may june after 10 weeks feeding .
    Never again ,complete waste of time.
    Lesson learned ,those cow dealers are very nice people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement