Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Sent bulls to the factory today to grannagh in waterford got €3.90 for a few R grade freisans

How old were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

kids have a fr bullock between them , he's 20 mths old and around 550 kg, lad offered 800 euro for him today how does that sound? He's a square bullock and will hold alot of weight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

whelan2 wrote: »
    kids have a fr bullock between them , he's 20 mths old and around 550 kg, lad offered 800 euro for him today how does that sound? He's a square bullock and will hold alot of weight

dont attempt to sell him for that, seen a couple of lads near your description sold yesterday at 960

No way seen anorexic fr blks 30 months plus that weight making over a grand

thanks kids have the money spent in their heads:D will look for more, would bring him to mart but he has handlebars

• Advertisement

thanks kids have the money spent in their heads:D will look for more, would bring him to mart but he has handlebars

hock em off :D

simx wrote: »
    hock em off :D
    the kids or the horns:D ye they should have been gone ages ago, long story.....

the kids or the horns:D ye they should have been gone ages ago, long story.....

Make the kids do it it will be a lesson to always to them as calfs!!
    (I'm joking btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Are you sure you are not over estimating his weight? I wouldn't see the offer as being that far off the mark at all. If you could get another bit out of him and no skullling and no bloody horn massacre to be witnessed by your kids Id let him on.

Willfarman wrote: »
    Are you sure you are not over estimating his weight? I wouldn't see the offer as being that far off the mark at all. If you could get another bit out of him and no skullling and no bloody horn massacre to be witnessed by your kids Id let him on.

the fact he has antlers would lower his value alright, if skulled and brought to a mart hell still have stumps which still wont stand to him, prob still worth 850-900 dependent on how br fr his is? were you in enniscorthy today willfarman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

TBH if you can get the vet in and suffer the cost, then get the handlebars off him and keep him for a bit longer until he heals up. Otherwise you are going to be listening to every tom, dick and harry knocking him on price due to his antlers irrespective of his condition. Assholes like the guy that bid you today.
    You may get a genuine buyer who doesn't give a toss about the antlers but they are thin on the ground in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

I thought it was ok to sell animals with horns in marts now. I've seen a fair few in my local marts lately.

tanko wrote: »
    I thought it was ok to sell animals with horns in marts now. I've seen a fair few in my local marts lately.
    Depends on the age of the animal, location of mart and time of year.
    Most marts will accommodate weanlings in a separate pen to run through the ring at the end of the regular weanling sale.

the fact he has antlers would lower his value alright, if skulled and brought to a mart hell still have stumps which still wont stand to him, prob still worth 850-900 dependent on how br fr his is? were you in enniscorthy today willfarman?

No but I hear Tommy on the radio saying it was small and increased money for all classes. Will have a look in carnew on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Any quotes for overage steers?

No but I hear Tommy on the radio saying it was small and increased money for all classes. Will have a look in carnew on Saturday.

Was there much cows in carnew the last few weeks in December?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭davidk1394

How old were they?

They were 19 months old

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

davidk1394 wrote: »
    They were 19 months old

Can you say what fat score and carcase weight they were?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I not consider it too bad a price you would need 830 or more in the mart to beat that price

No way seen anorexic fr blks 30 months plus that weight making over a grand

Nothing wrong with anorexic Friesian bullocks( or any other breed) that lad could put 200kgs on grass in 5 months. Very few Fresians make the QA under 30 months anyway you get caught between under fat and low weight due to under finished. In general never worry about Friesian s weight within reason.
    Base price wrote: »
    TBH if you can get the vet in and suffer the cost, then get the handlebars off him and keep him for a bit longer until he heals up. Otherwise you are going to be listening to every tom, dick and harry knocking him on price due to his antlers irrespective of his condition. Assholes like the guy that bid you today.
    You may get a genuine buyer who doesn't give a toss about the antlers but they are thin on the ground in my opinion.

Vet even if he is calling for something else will charge 6-10 euro, 50 if that is all he has to do. If she can squeeze a bit more off the buyer then she is ass well off as going to the mart

Was there much cows in carnew the last few weeks in December?

i wasn't up there for a month or 6 weeks. There wouldn't be much fr cows in it as a rule and Mr h sets the bar for the good cows. Twouldnt be worth the trip for ya lad!

• Advertisement

The AA was an R- 3= and a cold weight of 350kg

The AA was an R- 3= and a cold weight of 350kg.. The FR was an R- 2+ and a weight of 409 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 44 FYM

€4 a kilo for a 16.5 month old bull weighted 414Kg, Grade U+2=

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Hershall

Cavanjack wrote: »

Chatting two agents today both quoted 4.00 for overage bks no weigh restrictions. They would use a number of different factories.

i wasn't up there for a month or 6 weeks. There wouldn't be much fr cows in it as a rule and Mr h sets the bar for the good cows. Twouldnt be worth the trip for ya lad!

I wouldn't even be looking at the same category cows as Mr.h, himself and Mr.a can work away at them good ones, nice bit of a spin alright, know one local lad that goes there for blks all the same

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

Cavanjack wrote: »

talking to an agent this morning,4.00 base for steers,not too picky weather there overage or underage

I not consider it too bad a price you would need 830 or more in the mart to beat that price

Nothing wrong with anorexic Friesian bullocks( or any other breed) that lad could put 200kgs on grass in 5 months. Very few Fresians make the QA under 30 months anyway you get caught between under fat and low weight due to under finished. In general never worry about Friesian s weight within reason.

Vet even if he is calling for something else will charge 6-10 euro, 50 if that is all he has to do. If she can squeeze a bit more off the buyer then she is ass well off as going to the mart
    getting 850 for him now, going to let him go. Also oh was in factory with a load of cattle today and he said there was a queue up the road with cattle, never saw it as busy. why would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

getting 850 for him now, going to let him go. Also oh was in factory with a load of cattle today and he said there was a queue up the road with cattle, never saw it as busy. why would that be?

If you had to skull him, keep him 3-4 weeks take him to the mart and pay mart fees you would need over 950 to match that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

If you had to skull him, keep him 3-4 weeks take him to the mart and pay mart fees you would need over 950 to match that.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. A lot of hassle saved whelan and as FP points out no transactions costs. Also saving on 3-4 weeks feeding.

• Advertisement

Also oh was in factory with a load of cattle today and he said there was a queue up the road with cattle, never saw it as busy. why would that be?
    Price I reckon.
    OH brought 2 doubles of bullocks from 5 lads in the area during the week. 50/50 under and overage. He had to to re pick cattle from 3 of them as some of them didn't have enough cover. The lads just want out of them so they get money in to pay bills especially meal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement