Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

A sound agent will always give you the going rate ,while a chancer will promise you the top price and then you will be cut on the grading. You can not be holding out for the last few cent on a few cattle ,check the going price in f.g. and get agent to check the cattle before they depart is my advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

just do it wrote: »
    Are these the same agents you'd be ringing to get prices for direct to the factory? Surely ringing around 3 of them and then play them off each other a bit you'll get just as good as what these guys will give in the mart?

Factory's usually only have a single agents buying at marts. He may go to 4-6 marts a week. There is no point in them having two agents bidding against each other. They could have 20 agents buying cattle for them off farms each with a quota of 2-3 doubles of cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Kevin the sheep

Sold young's cull cow on Saturday. 850kg €1710. Was sayin to uncle when came home he recons wouldn't have got the shade of it in the factory for her .
    A few months ago got done on heifers il never bring animAls to factory again mart all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 44 FYM

Sold a 780 kg charolais bullock im mart two weeks ago underage got 1690 for him. not a snowballs chance in hell would i have got it in the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Dunedin

FYM wrote: »
    Sold a 780 kg charolais bullock im mart two weeks ago underage got 1690 for him. not a snowballs chance in hell would i have got it in the factory.

let's say at 56% killout, 3.65 base with 12c bonus and grading U- or u= or u+ (6, 12 or 18c bonus), then you could have got anywhere between 1680 and 1725 in the factory.

maybe more if he was a good bullock and killed out a % higher.

the thing with the factory is if you're not happy with the price, it's kinda hard to bring him home unlike the mart!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 FYM

Dunedin wrote: »
    let's say at 56% killout, 3.65 base with 12c bonus and grading U- or u= or u+ (6, 12 or 18c bonus), then you could have got anywhere between 1680 and 1725 in the factory.

maybe more if he was a good bullock and killed out a % higher.

the thing with the factory is if you're not happy with the price, it's kinda hard to bring him home unlike the mart!!

lets say i dont get any bonus because he is overweight just base price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Dunedin

factories seem to be relaxing on the overweight. That bullock would be circa 436 deadweight so you may not get cut - depending on your agent !! I killed a lot heavier cattle this year and was not cut at all.

don't really want to get too deep into this but really my point is that there is every chance you would have got as much or maybe more in the factory than the mart for that bullock. If you got 3.70 base with a good killout and grading, then you may have got a good bit more.

no definitive way of every knowing for sure obviously.

Sold young's cull cow on Saturday. 850kg €1710. Was sayin to uncle when came home he recons wouldn't have got the shade of it in the factory for her .
    A few months ago got done on heifers il never bring animAls to factory again mart all the way

Sometimes for simgle one off cattle you will do better in the mart. For instance factory's a distance away may well pay over the odds to supress prices. At present looking at app from department, prices in factory are not as high as printed in papers. However 3-4 processors are paying 10-15c/kg aboves the rest.

However if you travell 100 miles to achieve this price you lose it in transport and weight loss. On the other hand if you arrive in the mart with 15-20 finished cattle unless market is very strong the risk of having to sell below value or take home is a real posibillity. A animal that comes home from the mart loses a weeks weight at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I hear of 3.46 last week for middle of the road r grade cows.

Willfarman wrote: »
    I hear of 3.46 last week for middle of the road r grade cows.

This goes back to how much they are making off beef at present. They are paying 3.5 for r grade cows. Going back to those two bullock that were 12 years old that were about 1000kgs. What the odd that some french supermarket gets them as cow beef no difference.

At present I would not be suprised if a lot of over age beef is not being sold as cow beef as they are buying it at so low a price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Cows
    O's 325-330
    R's 345
    They're on a one way ticket tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

just do it wrote: »
    Cows
    O's 325-330
    R's 345
    They're on a one way ticket tomorrow

Where's that jdi?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

simx wrote: »
    Where's that jdi?

Rathkeale I think. I know the agent rather than his factory iykwim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭visatorro

3.00 for p grade cull cow straight out of parlour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I've a load of overage steers that'll be ready for off in a couple of weeks. Reckon they're round 700kg. What would they make in a mart?

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I've a load of overage steers that'll be ready for off in a couple of weeks. Reckon they're round 700kg. What would they make in a mart?

Breed?

What breed and quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Sorry limo x frs. Mostly r grade and will be fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

might make €1350 if a good breed

seen an 720kg limousine qa bullock make €1400 and he was a fine u grade beast, he would have came to more money in the factory maybe 60 or 80 euro more.

edit;
    just saw the word overage mart trade is dire for these, you might be best killing them if they are fat enough

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Lads that have been to a few marts lately would ye give me an idea of what ye think the following might make

2 chx 18 months 400-420kg square but not overly big frame
    3 hex 18 months 400kg rangey type but not leggy

Bought em earlier this year but not sure whether to hold or sell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

if they are the yellow type charolais there are a lot of buyers for them especially if they will make a u grade, you could get anything between €2.10-2.40 a kilo for them depending on the mart and competition.

wouldn't know much about Herefords,

353kg when bought last may and i'd be confident enough they have 50-70kg put on since then.Tempted to feed em til next March

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Lads that have been to a few marts lately would ye give me an idea of what ye think the following might make

2 chx 18 months 400-420kg square but not overly big frame
    3 hex 18 months 400kg rangey type but not leggy

Bought em earlier this year but not sure whether to hold or sell

Cattle that weight range are making the most per kilo but yours wouldn't be hectic weights for their age so I'd say 2.00 to 2.20 a kg for char and 1.90 to 2.10 for whiteheads. They are cattle for grazing next year really. Would you be able to keep them til next July?

Willfarman wrote: »
    Cattle that weight range are making the most per kilo but yours wouldn't be hectic weights for their age so I'd say 2.00 to 2.20 a kg for char and 1.90 to 2.10 for whiteheads. They are cattle for grazing next year really. Would you be able to keep them til next July?

Could do. Would you suggest pushing them a bit with nuts or just plenty of silage over the winter and then grass for 4 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

if they are the yellow type charolais there are a lot of buyers for them especially if they will make a u grade, you could get anything between €2.10-2.40 a kilo for them depending on the mart and competition.

wouldn't know much about Herefords,

In Roscrea today and that's spot on to today's mart anyway. But they would have to be very nice ch.

The Herefords today went for around 400 with the waight.

A few really nice u grade limmo heifers 500kg went for €1200 €1400

A hell of allot of finished cattle in the mart. Heifers and bullocks and overage.

A few of these monsters to I couldn't get over the size of these. Easily 6 foot tall!! Sorry for bad pic.

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Could do. Would you suggest pushing them a bit with nuts or just plenty of silage over the winter and then grass for 4 months

A couple or 3 kgs of meal with silage is what I do with these type stores. I would sell now or sell them finished next summer. If you take their value now and add a winters keep to it its unlikely that you'd get much of a turn outa them in march. The kilos off grazed grass are where your turn is.

In Roscrea today and that's spot on to today's mart anyway. But they would have to be very nice ch.

The Herefords today went for around 400 with the waight.

A few really nice u grade limmo heifers 500kg went for €1200 €1400

A hell of allot of finished cattle in the mart. Heifers and bullocks and overage.

A few of these monsters to I couldn't get over the size of these. Easily 6 foot tall!! Sorry for bad pic.

Hard to see any finisher make money out of these heifers. Take it that you put 150kgs on them and kill them at 650 LW. Will they they kill 57% if so they will be 370DW. At 4.5/kg they make about 1650 euro. The prices paid for them are stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Hard to see any finisher make money out of these heifers. Take it that you put 150kgs on them and kill them at 650 LW. Will they they kill 57% if so they will be 370DW. At 4.5/kg they make about 1650 euro. The prices paid for them are stupidity.

Have to agree the prices paid for some animal round that weight is mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Think these girls were for the bull. I was watching the farmer buying them. Still payed big money for them.

Crazy amount of factory fit cattle in it. Allot of lads mad after cull cows to. €1.50kg for good big square girls. These seemed like not bad value. Would you turn €100 on a good one?

• Advertisement

Think these girls were for the bull. I was watching the farmer buying them. Still payed big money for them.

Crazy amount of factory fit cattle in it. Allot of lads mad after cull cows to. €1.50kg for good big square girls. These seemed like not bad value. Would you turn €100 on a good one?

youd be tightening things giving 1.50/kg, suppose it depends on the cow but theyd want to be decent r grade cows

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement