Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Found this very hard to believe but supposedly there was 2 ch bullocks in carnew mary at the weekend each weighing 1000kgs amd were 12yrs old. Thats bloody crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Found this very hard to believe but supposedly there was 2 ch bullocks in carnew mary at the weekend each weighing 1000kgs amd were 12yrs old. Thats bloody crazy

If find it hard to believe too but if any truth in it the owner would want to get himself checked out

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

got €4 a kg for a u+3+ steer 426kg dead at 26 months

short butty light haired lim bullock

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

simx wrote: »
    If find it hard to believe too but if any truth in it the owner would want to get himself checked out
    wonder what they cost to keep over the years, i am sure he made a profit:)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

got €4 a kg for a u+3+ steer 426kg dead at 26 months

short butty light haired lim bullock

With the QA 12c/kg and 24c/kg on the grid for the U+ that is only 364c/kg.
    I thought that there was more to be got!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Got 3.65 for steers and 330 for a U+ cow from Moyvalley last week.
    PB parthenaise. anybody want to guess how much she killed out at?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

440kgs

not even close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

not even close!

PB part....I wonder what weight she was alive...:D

555kgs?

Kovu wrote: »
    PB part....I wonder what weight she was alive...:D

555kgs?

Ambitious there Kovu!

501KG! I was shocked I knew she was big but wow!
    Here's a pic of here taken about a month ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭mf240

Fair poor place for weight
    Got stung there once . Never again.

what do you mean "fair poor place for weight"? Do you mean they trim too hard?

huey1975 wrote: »
    With the QA 12c/kg and 24c/kg on the grid for the U+ that is only 364c/kg.
    I thought that there was more to be got!!

not really more than that to be got that was lastweek

he was part of a big bunch and the only real move on prices is they have stopped cutting for weight and are even putting overage on the grid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

not really more than that to be got that was lastweek

he was part of a big bunch and the only real move on prices is they have stopped cutting for weight and are even putting overage on the grid

I presume you mean that overage cattle are getting same price they were always on the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

maybe they had little bit of surgery to change title,it happens sometimes:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I've a mixed bag of 7 cows for the factory. What's the best way to offload these i.e. when calling agents what do I ask for? I see you guys talking about base price. Is there a similar base price for cows?

When I say mixed bag they range from a 3yo BB 1st calver to 7-8 yo FRxLM. Have been weaned about 2 months and on good grass and nuts for 6 weeks so should be in good nick

I presume you mean that overage cattle are getting same price they were always on the grid.

for example a 32 month old bullock graded r+4= and the price was 3.65 euro so he got €3.71 a kilo

he didn't get the 12 cent bonus obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

just do it wrote: »
    I've a mixed bag of 7 cows for the factory. What's the best way to offload these i.e. when calling agents what do I ask for? I see you guys talking about base price. Is there a similar base price for cows?

When I say mixed bag they range from a 3yo BB 1st calver to 7-8 yo FRxLM. Have been weaned about 2 months and on good grass and nuts for 6 weeks so should be in good nick

I would advise you to blood them and sell in the mart as dry cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

There were 2 great cattle weighing 939kgs that were 2010 birthdays. Great cattle nothing wrong there only the change of the times it gone rare to see the like.... However another man 6 or 7 big ugly over fat on over fat freaks of yokes weighing 900 to 1030 kgs. Births from 2001 to 2006.
    I actually remember him buying some of them 7 years ago. He sold 13 year old whiteheads that day. All over a tonne. All misshapen with fat. Football sized lumps over their hips. Cattle never see the shed with him apparently. They just roam freely over a vast expanse of rough land.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭mf240

Willfarman wrote: »
    There were 2 great cattle weighing 939kgs that were 2010 birthdays. Great cattle nothing wrong there only the change of the times it gone rare to see the like.... However another man 6 or 7 big ugly over fat on over fat freaks of yokes weighing 900 to 1030 kgs. Births from 2001 to 2006.
    I actually remember him buying some of them 7 years ago. He sold 13 year old whiteheads that day. All over a tonne. All misshapen with fat. Football sized lumps over their hips. Cattle never see the shed with him apparently. They just roam freely over a vast expanse of rough land.

Whay did they make?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

mf240 wrote: »
    Whay did they make?
    The 2010 cattle made over 1900€. Can't remember exactly. The old cattle brought
    1400 to 1550 Region one with the other. Very hard to value them. But all I can say is he got around a hundred a head per year on them from what they cost we thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

just do it wrote: »

Cows generally get sold flat, sound like r and o grade cows tbh just ask what they're giving for cows that week, should reply something like 3.40 rs 3.20 os (maybe ps too) if they're anyway decent cont. cows they shouldn't slip into ps, just ask him will he cover at the o price if they slip into p grade anyway? He should do anyway

She's a very bad suckler if she's grading P after weaning and on being mealed for 6 weeks. I doubt any of jdi's are even O. From pics he's posted before l'd say they are good R's.

Good cows will do well in the ring.

Muckit wrote: »
    She's a very bad suckler if she's grading P after weaning and on being mealed for 6 weeks. I doubt any of jdi's are even O. From pics he's posted before l'd say they are good R's.

Good cows will do well in the ring.

Good cows will do well in the factory as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Good cows will always do well. FACT.:)

Good cows will do well in the factory as well.

Quite possibly. But he has no experience of selling to factory and if you don't know your game and aren't a regular you could get stung badly.

Muckit wrote: »
    Quite possibly. But he has no experience of selling to factory and if you don't know your game and aren't a regular you could get stung badly.

Not meaning to have a go but is it no different in the mart? I always come away feeling if I spent more time in the mart I'd be cuter and get ~€50/head more. 2 examples: The lad who brings them for me told me after they were sold there was strong demand for the heavier bulls I was selling 2-3 weeks ago. 2nd example - A friend who had a mart regular always with him often told him to put the cattle back through again as he knew the lad that bid had been giving €30-40 for similar cattle in the previous weeks.

It's just impossible to build up that hands-on knowledge being part time and not being able to attend regularly.

And one final point. The mart means having to blood test them, take time off work and being prepared to take them home if you're not happy. On average there has to be a differential in the price between mart and factory to account for mart fees, haulage, weight loss, feed, sickness, mortality etc etc. I've sold cows in the mart before only to see that they've been slaughtered in the following days (and not been overly impressed with the price I got). Sure you'll hear the great price a certain cow or weanling got last week, but in my experience that has never translated onto anything I've sold in the mart. With the factory you can agree a price on the phone or farm and then say a rosary as to their dead weight. Once they're gone they're gone.

I appreciate you're a fan of the mart Muckit and fair deuce as it seems to work for you. For the reasons above I feel the factory is a better option for these cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Durrus Boy

At the risk of going off on a tangent, but can I ask how many people when selling live will tell the auctioneer how much they are expecting the animal to make??

In my experience makes a huge difference as to what price the auctioneer opens at & therefore what price the hammer falls at..... You've got to make them 'earn' their commission!!!

Durrus Boy wrote: »
    At the risk of going off on a tangent, but can I ask how many people when selling live will tell the auctioneer how much they are expecting the animal to make??

In my experience makes a huge difference as to what price the auctioneer opens at & therefore what price the hammer falls at..... You've got to make them 'earn' their commission!!!

Yes you have but you also need to know exact value of the animal. No point in having a cow that will slaughter 320kgs @3.2/kg and expecting 1150 euro for her. I often seen auctioneers saying ''let her out, let her out'' because of this after a few bids.

As well if there are plenty finished cows in the mart dealers will share them out. Remember even finished cows may take more weight and lads will try to buy at less that kill value so that they can make a margin.

It all right the days agents are buying cows as at present but if they have excess numbers factory will be better.

• Advertisement

It all right the days agents are buying cows as at present but if they have excess numbers factory will be better.
    Are these the same agents you'd be ringing to get prices for direct to the factory? Surely ringing around 3 of them and then play them off each other a bit you'll get just as good as what these guys will give in the mart?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement