Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Do it if you like but 350-400 gross margin after a winter and having them 8-10 months is a mugs game. You barely be covering costs

1200- 650 is €550 gross?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Jjameson wrote: »
    1200- 650 is €550 gross?

sorr I taught it was the 800-850 euro friesians you were on about.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

I dont know. Hard to buy cattle to match that price. Someones or a lot of peoples crystal balls are banjaxed.

Or there just getting a lot more per kilo than the average farmer.

Panch18 wrote: »
    Where exactly have you seen this??

Any cattle I've bought vat is added to ring price 4.8%...now I could be wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭dryan

3.60 base for steers here this morning - midlands.
    Let a few off at that.
    Fought it out with the agent on the phone last night but not a cent more to be got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

1200- 650 is €550 gross?

Some beef farmers not great a maths

Duke92 wrote: »
    Some beef farmers not great a maths

I be good enough at the maths. I always work of cost getting an animal inside the gate. 1200-650 is 550 less mart fees and transport leaves a margin of 530. It a small bit on the tight side for me.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I be good enough at the mats. I always work of cost getting an animal inside the gate. 1200-650 is 550 less mart fees and transport leaves a margin of 530. It a small bit on the tight side for me.

not so good at spelling

wrangler wrote: »
    not so good at spelling

Corrected that happy now.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭cute geoge

as I say mugs
    Will you buy no cattle so because it looks like stores are not going to drop in price then again they might be back 100 next week
    Talking to a retired cattle man whos son took over and he would not buy cattle because they were too dear this year ,the retired man wondered sure if you do not buy anything how the hell can you make anything because selling silage will not break even !!

• Advertisement

cute geoge wrote: »
    Will you buy no cattle so because it looks like stores are not going to drop in price then again they might be back 100 next week
    Talking to a retired cattle man whos son took over and he would not buy cattle because they were too dear this year ,the retired man wondered sure if you do not buy anything how the hell can you make anything because selling silage will not break even !!

True an be hard sold is well...most farmers have plenty of it

cute geoge wrote: »

I buy less and buy out of spec cattle. With Friesians if they get dear margin can dissappear very fasy.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I buy less and buy out of spec cattle. With Friesians if they get dear margin can dissappear very fasy.

Have bought a few stores myself That will be out of spec when killing this time next year. Only sort of yolks I saw any value in so far

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Have bought a few stores myself That will be out of spec when killing this time next year. Only sort of yolks I saw any value in so far

Easier to get a 550 euro Friesian to 1150 it virtually impossible to get a 800 euro Friesian to 1400 euro

Slava Ukrainii

Friesians now have more variation within them than any other breed. Cattle coming in + - store price can leave a variation of + - 300 on weight gain/ ko alone.
    It’s very easy buy these type cattle too dear and the fear of giving a little more for the better one often leaves them great value.
    And it’s not square old fashioned bf cattle I’m talking about as they don’t stretch fast or big as good square big friesian such as kk mart is renowned.

Friesians now have more variation within them than any other breed. Cattle coming in + - store price can leave a variation of + - 300 on weight gain/ ko alone.
    It’s very easy buy these type cattle too dear and the fear of giving a little more for the better one often leaves them great value.
    And it’s not square old fashioned bf cattle I’m talking about as they don’t stretch fast or big as good square big friesian such as kk mart is renowned.

I perfer to buy hungry empty Kerry Friesians. Bought a few lately 330 kgd 500 and 370kgs, 560 euro inside the farm gate for that.

Slava Ukrainii

I perfer to buy hungry empty Kerry Friesians. Bought a few lately 330 kgd 500 and 370kgs, 560 euro inside the farm gate for that.

Will you get them killed before next winter or will it be the following year?

I’m not really familiar with cattle from that neck of the woods.
    I killed a load and a half of 3 year+ lads this spring at a flat price. They were bought over 2 weeks autumn 18 +- 20kg and +- €60. There was 250€ between the best and worst. Purely weight gain and kill out percentage.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Will you get them killed before next winter or will it be the following year?

Hopefully the majority will be hanging before next winter.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Fight hard for the prices. Deals to be got out there.

Managed to get €3.62 last week in Liffey for bullocks, with 10c/kg bonus for Angus. Had 4 over 400kgs (up to 427kg) and wasn't cut. And had a red hereford grade U- (somehow, I'm still in shock on this one).

• Advertisement

T0001 wrote: »
    Fight hard for the prices. Deals to be got out there.

Managed to get €3.62 last week in Liffey for bullocks, with 10c/kg bonus for Angus. Had 4 over 400kgs (up to 427kg) and wasn't cut. And had a red hereford grade U- (somehow, I'm still in shock on this one).

Killed bullocks last week over 450kg. No mention of cuts.
    Maybe with less bulls in the system now there are fewer heavy carcasses and it’s less of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Grading has improved alright, send a load of FR last week, 12 O's & 3 P's, 12 months ago it would have been the other way around with the same cattle, plus the 20 cent bonus makes a nice top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Grading has improved alright, send a load of FR last week, 12 O's & 3 P's, 12 months ago it would have been the other way around with the same cattle, plus the 20 cent bonus makes a nice top up.

do you get the bonus on O and Ps

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Anto_Meath wrote: »

Cattle have thrived this year at a fantastic rate. Never had cattle so heavy for slaughter. It’s the year it is. Plenty grass and very good temperatures.

gerryirl wrote: »
    do you get the bonus on O and Ps

No bonus on P grade cattle. You get a 12c/kg bonus on O- cattle. O= and O+ receive the normal 20c bonus. However you lose 6c/kg on the base for 2+ for O grade cattle. As well cattle grading FS4= on O= or lower grading cattle get hit with a 6c loss on the base as well. Everything hits the returns of these cattle.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Yes, I ment the 20 cent on the ones that graded O= or better which 10 of 12 that graded O's were and they were all 3 and 4 for fat two of the P's were 4 as well.. there was no cut for the 4 fats... in fairness it has been a good year for cattle to thrive.. but I still think factories aren't as hard on the grades as they were for the last few years, maybe they are giving us a few crumbs after all the crap that went on last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A lot of it may be about holding down the base quoted price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Water John wrote: »
    A lot of it may be about holding down the base quoted price.
    The way I'm looking at base prices is take 10c of it to compare it to last year. Friesians are being hit hard with the new QA bonus yet if they come of a QA farm they end up with a QA stamp on the pack of mince

• Registered Users Posts: 13,389 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Big change in grades this year as opposed to last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,389 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The way I'm looking at base prices is take 10c of it to compare it to last year. Friesians are being hit hard with the new QA bonus yet if they come of a QA farm they end up with a QA stamp on the pack of mince

There is nothing in the factories record to make me certain that the grades are to be trusted, that cuts from one are not labelled or boxed as another.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement